cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Texags banned me (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17826)

MikeWaters 03-18-2008 07:20 PM

Texags banned me

I knew the ban would come.

I like to talk about controversial things, and there are a lot of people who don't like controversial topics being raised.

Too bad, we could have had some fun.

And yes, I did attend A&M briefly. It's a shame that such a good university has to try to feel better about itself by tearing other people down.

You guys are good people. You don't need to do those sorts of things. Just be proud of what you have. Be willing to accept change to make things better. Relax. No need to parade your rings around to announce that you have graduated from college--act like you've been there before.

It's all good.

See you Thursday night.

BEAT THE HELL OUTTA THE AGGIES!!!!

MikeWaters 03-18-2008 07:29 PM

Oh, and an Aggie is saying that I thought the Mountain Meadows Massacre was justified.

That is not true. And I never said that. I said that some people have said it was justified, which offends the descendants of the victims.

I do not believe it was justified. I believe it was evil and wrong.

[where do these guys come up with this stuff?]

MikeWaters 03-18-2008 07:32 PM

From BMEDAggie11

Quote:

There's a difference between making mormon jokes and bonfire jokes, and you know it
Now this is funny.

You can rip apart a religion, but by golly, you can't make fun of burning thousands of logs in a football rally.

Yeah, there is a difference. One is called "being a bigot" and the other is making fun of a freaking tradition (which many Aggies happen to oppose on grounds of waste and environmental damage, but you wont' find anyone say that on Texags, there would be a lynch mob).

At the end of the day, Texags can't compete in the free market of ideas. That's why they ban me, when I was nothing but polite.

MikeWaters 03-18-2008 07:33 PM

Syd Barrett, if you're reading this, I'd be happy to come on texags discuss things.

I'm not afraid to show my face and stick to my guns where I am right, and apologize where I am wrong.

Your moderators have had enough already, however.

TripletDaddy 03-18-2008 07:38 PM

Curse you, mikewaters!

I go over to the TexAgs board and you are getting credit for some of MY jokes. The least they could do was properly attitribute quotes to the appropriate author.

As an aside, I didnt know bonfire jokes were such a hot button issue for those guys over there. They get all hot under the collar, collapse under pressue, then start flaming away.

MikeWaters 03-18-2008 07:40 PM

I've rarely seen such a pathetic display. Maybe because I don't look enough.

To be honest, I think they are afraid of me. The truth stings. Very few people want the truth.

MikeWaters 03-18-2008 07:42 PM

Seriously, the mods there have a trigger finger. Give me a warning and say next warning is a ban.

And then I get banned for what I said on a DIFFERENT site!!!

It really is a cult for them.

MikeWaters 03-18-2008 07:44 PM

I should add: for all of you that bashed the Mormon church in the thread bashing me, I say this...

Thanks for proving my point.

myboynoah 03-18-2008 07:44 PM

You need to start your own aTm board: AggieGuard.com

PortlandAggie 03-18-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 199621)
Curse you, mikewaters!

I go over to the TexAgs board and you are getting credit for some of MY jokes. The least they could do was properly attitribute quotes to the appropriate author.

As an aside, I didnt know bonfire jokes were such a hot button issue for those guys over there. They get all hot under the collar, collapse under pressue, then start flaming away.

Maybe if you did a little research you'd discover why Bonfire jokes are so hot for us Aggies. Lets say at BYU something happened that killed 12 people in 1999, when this event had never hurt anyone (nothing more than just minor injuries) in it's 100 year existance? Then people preceded to make jokes about that. You'd probably get ticked off, too.

MikeWaters 03-18-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 199628)
You need to start your own aTm board: AggieGuard.com

With all 20 intellectually honest Aggies? I already know about 5 of them, and I can just call them on the phone.

smokymountainrain 03-18-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 199620)
Syd Barrett, if you're reading this, I'd be happy to come on texags discuss things.

I'm not afraid to show my face and stick to my guns where I am right, and apologize where I am wrong.

Your moderators have had enough already, however.

That's a very entertaining thread. No love lost for you on that site, eh?

I did find the comment about the OC mormons quite funny however, as the first person who came to mind was DDD. Thanks for representing us so well, Triplet.

Quote:

I don't know he took the company line when challenged about the Mountain Meadows Massacre in that they were "justified"

It's pretty common group think in my experience. Living in Orange County you meet quite a few too. I find it interesting that I know more Mormon single mothers than others around here, I'm talking 21, 22 year olds.

MikeWaters 03-18-2008 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PortlandAggie (Post 199629)
Maybe if you did a little research you'd discover why Bonfire jokes are so hot for us Aggies. Lets say at BYU something happened that killed 12 people in 1999, when this event had never hurt anyone (nothing more than just minor injuries) in it's 100 year existance? Then people preceded to make jokes about that. You'd probably get ticked off, too.

Jokes about the people who died is offensive.

Jokes about bonfire: not very offensive.

It's a common thing to make jokes about those terrible things that we don't know how to emotionally deal with.

Jokes about starving Ethiopians. Helen Keller jokes. On and on.

I just hope you Aggies realize, that SOME of your jokes, are just as offensive as jokes about dead bodies in the bonfire rubble, to Mormons.

I apologize for repeating a bonfire joke. But I did it to make a point. That some things are offensive, and it is even more offensive when people tell you to shut up and stop being a ninny.

Are we in agreement?

TripletDaddy 03-18-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PortlandAggie (Post 199629)

Good point.....don't make light of things that other people believe to be important. Noted.

Now on another topic, did you see that catch by K.O. Kealaluhi?

il Padrino Ute 03-18-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 199636)
Good point.....don't make light of things that other people believe to be important. Noted.

I saw that catch. Pretty impressive.

I preferred the 1990 Holiday Bowl.

YOhio 03-18-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 199636)

That was a terrific game. I love Garn's highlight compilation.

http://justanotherdumb.com/byu/class...UvsAnM1996.wmv

smokymountainrain 03-18-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 199639)
I saw that catch. Pretty impressive.

I preferred the 1990 Holiday Bowl.

William Thomas is a ninny.

TripletDaddy 03-18-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 199641)

I was at that game. We were right in the end zone seats.....but unfortunately at the complete opposite side of the stadium. Still, such an exciting ending.

The other exicting thing from that game....one of my friends brough a banana to the game. After he ate it, he threw the peel on the net behind the goal posts. On every FG attempt, the net was raised and the peel was caught hanging there about 15 feet about the ground. I think we all got a lot of run from that for about a week, telling people that our group was responsible for that banana peel. Wow, as I finished typing that, it dawned on me that I have been an idiot for a long time....

PortlandAggie 03-18-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 199632)
Jokes about the people who died is offensive.

Jokes about bonfire: not very offensive.

It's a common thing to make jokes about those terrible things that we don't know how to emotionally deal with.

Jokes about starving Ethiopians. Helen Keller jokes. On and on.

I just hope you Aggies realize, that SOME of your jokes, are just as offensive as jokes about dead bodies in the bonfire rubble, to Mormons.

I apologize for repeating a bonfire joke. But I did it to make a point. That some things are offensive, and it is even more offensive when people tell you to shut up and stop being a ninny.

Are we in agreement?

You're right about jokes about the bonfire itself not being offensive, however, most Aggies correlate the Bonfire with those deaths. So when Aggies hear a bonfire joke, it relates back to people that died on the bonfire when it collapsed. I happened to be attending A&M when it happened, and knew one of the people who died in the accident. So, bonfire jokes don't sit well with me, either.

My best friend growing up was a mormon (we're both from Texas). I make jokes about the fact that in her freshmen year at Utah St. she was proposed to over a dozen times, most of the proposals coming on the same hill. She'd go on a date or two with a guy, and he'd propose! Come on, now THAT'S funny (and kinda ridiculous at the same time)! Heck, she lived in SLC for 2 years after college and had to move back to San Antonio beacuse it was TOO much in SLC (and she served her full mission). Those are her words exactly, too.

There's nothing truly offensive in what I just said, compared to making jokes about someone dying.

il Padrino Ute 03-18-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 199646)
Wow, as I finished typing that, it dawned on me that I have been an idiot for a long time....

Welcome to the reality of having both an "X" and "Y" chromosome.

Now that you've come to this realization, life gets much simpler.

MikeWaters 03-18-2008 08:04 PM

Dude, at 4:43 in the video, you see the player "Kennedy". I think it was Jared Kennedy.

I knew him at BYU. He was an interesting cat. I played a bit of pickup with him and he was an impressive athlete, esp. since he never saw the field much (injuries, I think).

MikeWaters 03-18-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PortlandAggie (Post 199647)
You're right about jokes about the bonfire itself not being offensive, however, most Aggies correlate the Bonfire with those deaths. So when Aggies hear a bonfire joke, it relates back to people that died on the bonfire when it collapsed. I happened to be attending A&M when it happened, and knew one of the people who died in the accident. So, bonfire jokes don't sit well with me, either.

My best friend growing up was a mormon (we're both from Texas). I make jokes about the fact that in her freshmen year at Utah St. she was proposed to over a dozen times, most of the proposals coming on the same hill. She'd go on a date or two with a guy, and he'd propose! Come on, now THAT'S funny (and kinda ridiculous at the same time)! Heck, she lived in SLC for 2 years after college and had to move back to San Antonio beacuse it was TOO much in SLC (and she served her full mission). Those are her words exactly, too.

There's nothing truly offensive in what I just said, compared to making jokes about someone dying.

You're right. What you said there, nothing offensive.

Pictures of Mormons in their garments, photoshopped, is pretty dang offensive to Mormons. You may not have known that, so I am telling you.

il Padrino Ute 03-18-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokymountainrain (Post 199644)
William Thomas is a ninny.

Was he the guy who made Detmer fall down and go boom?

smokymountainrain 03-18-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 199653)
Was he the guy who made Detmer fall down and go boom?

that would be him.

il Padrino Ute 03-18-2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokymountainrain (Post 199655)
that would be him.

Ok. He seemed to take great pleasure in going after Detmer.

I gained a ton of respect for Detmer that day. He was one tough dude who never quit.

MikeWaters 03-18-2008 08:11 PM

You know another one of the things that bothers me?

"It's ok for me to spew anti-Mormonism, because I know someone who is Mormon."

This is like telling racist jokes and saying "it is ok, I have a black friend."

smokymountainrain 03-18-2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 199656)
Ok. He seemed to take great pleasure in going after Detmer.

I gained a ton of respect for Detmer that day. He was one tough dude who never quit.

I can't remember who the fat ass tackle was that day whose job it was to slow down Thomas, but he may as well have just laid down as he couldn't have done much worse.

TripletDaddy 03-18-2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 199641)

Dang. I dont know about anyone else, but after I watch that highlight video, I dont even care about the basketball game. Is it almost September?

I still have that same nike edition BYU cap that LaVell was rocking--it says Cougars on the side. If I recall correctly, we had just recently been picked up by Nike so our gear finally started having some legitimacy to it.

BarbaraGordon 03-18-2008 08:21 PM

Good gracious. How silly.

Can't we all just hate the Longhorns together?

MikeWaters 03-18-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 199664)

These moron Aggies just about converted me to being a Longhorn fan. I never thought that would happen.

The principles of liberal democracy are not embraced by tamu. That's what is clear here.

YOhio 03-18-2008 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 199660)
Dang. I dont know about anyone else, but after I watch that highlight video, I dont even care about the basketball game. Is it almost September?

Seriously. I love that video. That was probably my all-time favorite BYU team. Our receivers were ridiculous. Chad Lewis, Itula Mili, Kaipo McGuire, K.O., James Dye and Ben Cahoon. The emotion showed by K.O. on that last play was priceless.

Those uniforms were also great.

MikeWaters 03-18-2008 08:27 PM

The one redeeming thing about the "bash Mike Waters" thread is that no jackass on cougarboard apologized in behalf of all Mormons and BYU fans, etc etc.

Probably only because they can't figure out how to sign up.

YOhio 03-18-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

I hate all of them. Aggies, Longhorns, Trojans, Buckeyes, Sooners, Utes. It makes no difference, except at least the Utes aren't artificially propped up by a faulty system.

Solon 03-18-2008 08:29 PM

I'm not surprised that you got this kind of response on an opponent's message board, but they're saying some pretty mean-spirited stuff.

I thought that, deep down, all Texans were mostly libertarians so I'm surprised MW got a ban. If there's fascism in Texas, it must be everywhere.

MikeWaters 03-18-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 199675)
I'm not surprised that you got this kind of response on an opponent's message board, but they're saying some pretty mean-spirited stuff.

I thought that, deep down, all Texans were mostly libertarians so I'm surprised MW got a ban. If there's fascism in Texas, it must be everywhere.

A&M is the most fascist of all Texas universities.

But some would argue that BYU is the most fascist of all Utah universities. BYU can't help it. But Aggies choose to be fascists and that is the most disgusting part.

cougjunkie 03-18-2008 08:45 PM

Those guys are seriously idiots, I love the "making fun of mormons is not the same as making fun of bonfires."

different people hold different things sacred, for TAMU its keeping the university predominantly white (unless it helps athletics of course) and burning students.

For BYU its the LDS religion.

MikeWaters 03-18-2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 199687)
Those guys are seriously idiots, I love the "making fun of mormons is not the same as making fun of bonfires."

different people hold different things sacred, for TAMU its keeping the university predominantly white (unless it helps athletics of course) and burning students.

For BYU its the LDS religion.

CJ, they don't burn students. They burn logs.

They actually still have a bonfire, except it is offsite and run by students who volunteer. Yes, they spend thousands of hours gathering wood, piling it up, and eventually burning it.

Back in the old days being drunk as possible was part of this. But I think there are rules against etoh at this new bonfire.

The students who died were crushed to death. Some or all of the families sued A&M. Turns out that what most people thought was safe and organized, turned out to be unsafe and was merely tradition in the way it was constructed.

I won't say A&M is overtly racist. But I will say that if you are a white racist, A&M would be a better choice for you than UT or Rice or any number of other schools.

TripletDaddy 03-18-2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

I will join you in this. What do I need to do?

RIP Rose Bowl 2006.

pelagius 03-18-2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 199673)
Buckeyes

Surely, there are exceptions to your buckeye hate? I am going to have to become an ally of Utestar if you continue done this road of blind hate towards all poisonous nuts. Nuts are people too.

YOhio 03-18-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelagius (Post 199696)
Surely, there are exceptions to your buckeye hate? I am going to have to become an allies of Utestar if you continue done this road of blind hate towards all poisonous nuts. Nuts are people too.

You're not fooling anybody. You're as much Buckeye as I am Flyer. We're first and foremost Cougars.

I do have a soft spot for the Peanut Butter and Chocolate Buckeyes.