cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Ran 8:00 min/mile pace today (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15792)

MikeWaters 01-11-2008 03:00 AM

Ran 8:00 min/mile pace today

for half a mile. This was an improvement over Tues. Tues I ran much faster, but only for about 600m.

danimal 01-11-2008 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 173313)
for half a mile. This was an improvement over Tues. Tues I ran much faster, but only for about 600m.

It looks like we're in the same boat -- our wives would smoke us in a race.

i've been starting to run more lately and I'm embarrassingly slow.

MikeWaters 01-11-2008 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danimal (Post 173328)
It looks like we're in the same boat -- our wives would smoke us in a race.

i've been starting to run more lately and I'm embarrassingly slow.

I would win any race up to about half a mile.

Some of us are thoroughbreds, and some of us are camels.

The Borg 01-11-2008 04:01 AM

I may mix in a bit of running this summer combined with the cycling. I've heard that if you only ride...it tends to lessen your bone density? Not sure about that...but I have a few guys that ride a lot and they both are of the same opinion.

So, if my bone density loses much,...I may collapse in a heap of jelly in the not to distant future.

Waters: What's up with the avatar of GP?

MikeWaters 01-11-2008 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Borg (Post 173339)
Waters: What's up with the avatar of GP?

Goatnapper called me out for me having said in early fall 2006 that I thought Gary Patterson was a better coach than Bronco.

Since then I have shown to the world Goat's ridiculous proclamations about the greatness of Joe Glenn.

So again, I am looking pretty, and napper is looking like someone who wandered out of a UofU restroom with a copy of national geographic under one arm, and a grin on his face.

The Borg 01-11-2008 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 173344)
Goatnapper called me out for me having said in early fall 2006 that I thought Gary Patterson was a better coach than Bronco.

Since then I have shown to the world Goat's ridiculous proclamations about the greatness of Joe Glenn.

So again, I am looking pretty, and napper is looking like someone who wandered out of a UofU restroom with a copy of national geographic under one arm, and a grin on his face.

Nice.

This ought to elicit a cleverly composed reply from Goat.

marsupial 01-11-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 173333)

Enough of the camel comparison already!

bluegoose 01-11-2008 06:03 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that Farrah could handle you in a half mile race right now. I hate to break it to you, but she can do a 4:00 1/2 mile in her sleep. You'll be close,a dn possibly in the lead, for the first 400 meters, but she'd gradually drop the hammer the last 400 and leave you begging for mercy.

You're going to have to do better than that.

Archaea 01-11-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 173543)
I'm pretty sure that Farrah could handle you in a half mile race right now. I hate to break it to you, but she can do a 4:00 1/2 mile in her sleep. You'll be close,a dn possibly in the lead, for the first 400 meters, but she'd gradually drop the hammer the last 400 and leave you begging for mercy.

You're going to have to do better than that.

How can a guy who claims to have broken fifty seconds in the quarter labor through a four minute half?

Should a fifty second guy be chewing out at least a 1:58 or sub 2:00? I'm slower than slow in sprinting, [I may have broken 12 seconds in 100 meters once], but 4:00 in a half? You can stop and take a piss and still beat that.

FMCoug 01-11-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

And yet others of us are sloths.

MikeWaters 01-11-2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 173545)
How can a guy who claims to have broken fifty seconds in the quarter labor through a four minute half?

Should a fifty second guy be chewing out at least a 1:58 or sub 2:00? I'm slower than slow in sprinting, [I may have broken 12 seconds in 100 meters once], but 4:00 in a half? You can stop and take a piss and still beat that.

I've never broken 50 seconds in the quarter mile. Last time I ran the 400m I was 13 years old. My fastest, if I remember correctly, was in the high 50's.

I was jogging for the half mile. That wasn't a sprint.

We should lay down a wager. Me against Farrah in the half mile.

Remember, I'm not a total slouch. I play basketball 3 times a week.

Archaea 01-11-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 173553)
I've never broken 50 seconds in the quarter mile. Last time I ran the 400m I was 13 years old. My fastest, if I remember correctly, was in the high 50's.

As long as it's adjusted for gender, I say we make it a 1200. Remember if you win, you sleep on the couch.

marsupial 01-11-2008 06:18 PM

My money is on Farrah.

MikeWaters 01-11-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 173555)
As long as it's adjusted for gender, I say we make it a 1200. Remember if you win, you sleep on the couch.

She runs 6 miles on the treadmill like it's a walk in the park. I ran a half mile, and coughed up soot particles from Geneva.

I'm glad you all are backing off your claims that she would beat me in the half mile. I have successfully called your bluff.

I think the longest I have ever run was about 3 miles, when in ROTC. Now you know why I quit the ROTC.

bluegoose 01-11-2008 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 173553)

You're on. But it has be very soon. I don't want you training to get ready for this thing. Today or tomorrow if possible. Plus you get to push the baby jogger if thats waht it comes down to. Thats the gender adjustment Archaea was asking for.

The stakes - If you win, I promise to stop trolling in the religion section for 1 week. If she wins, you promise to do the same.

Do you think we should bring her in on this little wager? She might have some ideas to make the wager a little more interesting.

Archaea 01-11-2008 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 173559)
She runs 6 miles on the treadmill like it's a walk in the park. I ran a half mile, and coughed up soot particles from Geneva.

I'm glad you all are backing off your claims that she would beat me in the half mile. I have successfully called your bluff.

I think the longest I have ever run was about 3 miles, when in ROTC. Now you know why I quit the ROTC.

Where did I make that claim?

3 miles? One word: PUSSY. And not the good kind.

pelagius 01-11-2008 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 173643)
Where did I make that claim?

3 miles? One word: PUSSY. And not the good kind.

Why is MW such a poor runner? I though he was pretty fit with not a lot of body weight to carry around? I am reasonably big guy and a couple months ago I ran a mile just to see what I could do and I still eeked out a sub 6:40 mile. Its hard to believe MW couldn't smoke me in a mile run given my size.

Archaea 01-11-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelagius (Post 173645)
Why is MW such a poor runner? I though he was pretty fit with not a lot of body weight to carry around? I am reasonably big guy and a couple months ago I ran a mile just to see what I could do and I still eeked out a sub 6:40 mile. Its hard to believe MW couldn't smoke me in a mile run given my size.

6:40? I'm impressed. You're fitter than tell people then.

SteelBlue 01-11-2008 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelagius (Post 173645)

Is this a typo? 6:40 is a smoking fast mile for someone who's big. It's plenty fast for people who aren't big.

pelagius 01-11-2008 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 173664)
Is this a typo? 6:40 is a smoking fast mile for someone who's big. It's plenty fast for people who aren't big.

Ya, that's the right time. I think it was 6:37. (oops, just checked it was 6:47 not 6:37)

Well, maybe my definition of big isn't the same as others. I'm 6' 1'' and about 215.

SteelBlue 01-11-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelagius (Post 173675)
Ya, that's the right time. I think it was 6:37. (oops, just checked it was 6:47 not 6:37)

Well, maybe my definition of big isn't the same as others. I'm 6' 1'' and about 215.

That's fast brother.

OrangeUte 01-12-2008 10:03 PM

that is fast. my fastest mile is 8:34 and i am 6'4" 240lbs. i will not ever get below a 7 minute mile, and will likely never get below an 8 minute miile.

fuegote 01-13-2008 12:43 PM

I'm in the same boat as OrangeUte. I'm 5'11" and (now) 238 (started at 261) and I will probably never see a mile faster than 8:00.

I'm okay with that, I wasn't built for running anyway.

Runner Coug 01-16-2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuegote (Post 173933)
I'm in the same boat as OrangeUte. I'm 5'11" and (now) 238 (started at 261) and I will probably never see a mile faster than 8:00.

I'm okay with that, I wasn't built for running anyway.

With all due respect fuegote, that post is pretty much bullcrap.

I always get a kick out of people who lose a bunch of weight by running, but because they don't look like the stereotypical runner, they don't think they are one. I hate to break it to you, but you've lost 25 lbs. and you're putting in a ton of miles...YOU ARE A RUNNER! It doesn't matter how fast you are or where you finish in a race, if you run, you're a runner.

If you stay with it, you'll be amazed at what your body will adapt to. There's no reason on earth you can't run a sub 8:00 mile, but that kind of improvement takes months, maybe even years. I think you need to give yourself a little more credit for the incredible progress you've made so far.