cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Hill should be pulled (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29831)

Archaea 09-18-2016 03:41 AM

Hill should be pulled

The offense has nothing.

Archaea 09-18-2016 03:44 AM

Hand off that goes no where. Short pass either complete or incomplete with no extra yards and incomplete or intercepted on third down.

Nothing Ty and Taysom are trying is working.

Archaea 09-18-2016 03:48 AM

Dumb to throw long cuz Hill can complete those.

Archaea 09-18-2016 03:51 AM

I can't stand watching Hill play.

Archaea 09-18-2016 03:59 AM

Hill should be benched. He's not elusive and can't complete a pass.

Archaea 09-18-2016 04:39 AM

Unless BYU answers that TD, game over.

Archaea 09-18-2016 04:57 AM

Ugly and helped out with penalties but at least they are trying.

Archaea 09-18-2016 05:05 AM

defense can't stop a pass play now.

MikeWaters 09-18-2016 01:07 PM

he finally completed a pass over 20 yards for that touchdown at the end. I think that was the first of the season.

MikeWaters 09-18-2016 01:15 PM

He's one of the worst rated QBs in the nation after 3 games.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/...6-passing.html

He's probably the worst senior QB in the nation.

SeattleUte 09-18-2016 05:14 PM

Is it Hill or does the offense have bigger problems.

MikeWaters 09-18-2016 08:20 PM

apparently we were using a third string tackle. But I mostly think it's the problem of having a quarterback who cant see the field.

MikeWaters 09-18-2016 08:43 PM

it's finally dawning on CB: Taysom Hill is not a very good QB.

I used to call him a Tim Tebow who could pass. (not a great passer, but could pass).

Now I can't even call him that. Cause he's not an effective runner at this point. More like a Jake Heaps who can't pass. Well, that's not really saying much, because Heaps couldn't pass either.

MikeWaters 09-18-2016 08:47 PM

The advantage of old age....I just don't give damn anymore.

MikeWaters 09-19-2016 02:36 AM

CB is so boring when everyone agrees with me.

The problem with being ahead of the curve is that eventually the curve catches up to you.

Crowton sucks. Want Bronco gone. And so forth.

Now one struggles to find anyone defending Taysom.

What I really like about this team is, duh, the defense. I think that bodes well for the future. We have a defensive HC, we apparently have a good DC and other position coaches. And they seem to be getting the most of out of these players.

I just love Butch. You know in that first game, when he popped that RB in the hole, came in like a freight train. And the camera zoomed in on him, showing him smiling, shaking his head back and forth like he was having the best time, like he was chuckling to himself about why the RB decided to come at him.

That's what makes football fun. Of course, it's also what fries brains, but like I said, that's what makes football football, and not ultimate frisbee.

The offense will get sorted out eventually. But now we have a good HC I think, and I'm happy about that.

SeattleUte 09-19-2016 04:47 PM

Mike Holmgren on KJR Seattle this morning: "I'm a big believer in putting in the young guy and letting him learn by doing taking his knocks."

BlueK 09-19-2016 06:05 PM

The story on Hill is that he's been an exciting runner who is injury prone, but who also has never been a reliable passer. Several experts now like former coach Bellotti on Saturday and now Travor Matich and others have pointed out that he hasn't learned how to place the ball where the receiver is going to be. Instead he prefers to have a wide open receiver stand and wait for the ball. That's typical of a QB who has relied on his legs and never learned the finer techniques of the passing game. But unlike many runner QBs like him, he actually does have a strong arm. He's just never learned how to use it effectively. And now that he doesn't seem to have the same explosiveness on the ground that he had before this last injury, the total package is very much lacking. I love his passion for the game, but even that doesn't seem the same this year. It's time to give Mangum a chance. The offensive line has issues, but perhaps contrary to popular opinion, I actually think Hill's hesitation in the pocket and then taking off running too early is making the line look worse than it is.

mpfunk 09-19-2016 07:43 PM

I'm not convinced Hill is the problem with BYU's offense. I'm not convinced that Mangum will make anything better. The problem is hiring an unqualified high school coach as the offensive coordinator. Also, a terrible offensive line.

MikeWaters 09-20-2016 01:50 AM

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=16546835

David Nixon defending Taysom Hill. Real shocker there. :)

Hill is married to Nixon's sister.

Sorry David, while the OL may suck, this QB sucks too.

BlueK 09-20-2016 09:50 PM

This is the same Hill we've seen throughout. He's always been a weak passer. The only difference this year is his running has clearly taken a step back probably from the injury and being out for so long.

MikeWaters 09-20-2016 09:54 PM

and we have a top 20 QB (potentially) riding the pine. :(

What school wishes they had Taysom Hill this year?

Archaea 09-20-2016 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322189)
and we have a top 20 QB (potentially) riding the pine. :(

What school wishes they had Taysom Hill this year?

Virginia.

MikeWaters 09-21-2016 02:24 AM

the best thing for BYU is for BYU to lose against West Virginia, Hill to play horrifically, and finally have the reins turned over the Mangum.

The worst thing that could happen is a squeaker victory where we are saddled with Hill the rest of the season. It really harms the future of the program.

SeattleUte 09-21-2016 04:49 AM

My theory is they are not starting him because of LDS reverence for seniority. See the 12.

BlueK 09-21-2016 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 322193)
My theory is they are not starting him because of LDS reverence for seniority. See the 12.

Yeah, no other coach or team would ever do such a thing like start the senior. Funny how Detmer did this time even though Lavell started him as a soph over the senior returning starter Sean Covey. LOL.

MikeWaters 09-21-2016 05:21 PM

It's not like Ty has never made a bad investment decision

BlueK 09-21-2016 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322197)
It's not like Ty has never made a bad investment decision

I don't think Hill starts much longer unless he's suddenly a different player this Saturday.

Archaea 09-21-2016 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 322198)
I don't think Hill starts much longer unless he's suddenly a different player this Saturday.

I understand Ty's dilemma, he named Hill as QB, and it may look bad if Tanner comes in and rights the ship. It is however in Ty's best interests to right the ship. Once he pulls Taysom, Taysom is of no use, except as a back up.

Everybody wanted to see Taysom succeed. Despite the hopes and wishes of fans, Taysom showed some amazing athleticism, but sketchy pure QB results. He doesn't fit into BYU's scheme.

A former high school coach has to make the difficult decisions. Of course, Ty sees more than we do, such as line play and if the receivers are doing their part. Not a happy time, using Taysom and losing winnable games because of him.

ChinoCoug 09-22-2016 12:31 PM

Detmer broke down film and saw that most of what happened was not Hill's fault.

Football is not baseball; individual performance cannot be isolated just by following the person with the ball.

MikeWaters 09-22-2016 01:26 PM

Except we have years of data to indicate that Hill is one of the worst passers in modern BYU history.

"It doesn't get better."

ChinoCoug 09-22-2016 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322213)
Except we have years of data to indicate that Hill is one of the worst passers in modern BYU history.

"It doesn't get better."

We don't have the advanced data that isolates QB performance from how much time the OL gives it, or whether receivers create separation. At least you and I don't.

BlueK 09-22-2016 02:13 PM

Different quarterbacks handle pressure from the defense in different ways. I tend to reject the premise that Hill is automatically better than Tanner at handling pressure from the defense because Tanner is a lot better at running through the progressions and quickly making a decision, where even though Hill is a better runner, he holds the ball too long or just takes off running.

MikeWaters 09-22-2016 02:51 PM

Once Hill makes his first read, and decides to move, he can't pass.

Detmer was great at creating time in and around the pocket, then hitting open players.

Hill never does this. He puts his head down and runs.

Tanner is much better at seeing the field.

Hill is like a point guard who doesn't see the floor well. He's the anti-John Stockton.

BlueK 09-22-2016 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322218)
Once Hill makes his first read, and decides to move, he can't pass.

Detmer was great at creating time in and around the pocket, then hitting open players.

Hill never does this. He puts his head down and runs.

Tanner is much better at seeing the field.

Hill is like a point guard who doesn't see the floor well. He's the anti-John Stockton.

Agreed. He has enough time to do something. He just doesn't know how.

I don't think the receivers getting enough separation is as big of an issue as it seems when Hill is playing. I would love for our WRs to get more, but a more accurate passer can still be more effective than what we're seeing right now. Last year lots of times the only "separation" the receivers was the 3-6 inch height difference over the DB. Tanner is just a lot better than Hill is at putting the ball in the spot where the receiver can use that advantage. Most of the time Hill won't even try to put the ball there.

Archaea 09-22-2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 322219)
Agreed. He has enough time to do something. He just doesn't know how.

I don't think the receivers getting enough separation is as big of an issue as it seems when Hill is playing. I would love for our WRs to get more, but a more accurate passer can still be more effective than what we're seeing right now. Last year lots of times the only "separation" the receivers was the 3-6 inch height difference over the DB. Tanner is just a lot better than Hill is at putting the ball in the spot where the receiver can use that advantage. Most of the time Hill won't even try to put the ball there.

I believe Hill is not very good at making reads, and after all this time, he has had his time to prove he can be a good quarterback. At his age, he is not an unpolished gem.

The receivers aren't great at making plays, but Hill isn't putting the ball where they can make plays. Once they start believing in the QB, they will make plays, get separation and show improvement.

Tanner is the guy of the future in any event, and Hill has a very short half life. Come on Ty show some loyalty to the program, not just Hill.

ChinoCoug 09-22-2016 05:52 PM

How Time in Pocket is calculated and how it translates into yards advanced:

http://chance.amstat.org/2011/11/the-blindside-project/

Archaea 09-22-2016 06:39 PM

Fans have lost faith in the team and in Ty. Three games, with two lamentable losses, and Ty's now a goat.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=16560632

I have no faith in the team as long as Hill is QB. I predict WVU will win convincingly, causing Ty to finally dump Hill.

ChinoCoug 09-22-2016 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 322222)
Fans have lost faith in the team and in Ty. Three games, with two lamentable losses, and Ty's now a goat.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=16560632

I have no faith in the team as long as Hill is QB. I predict WVU will win convincingly, causing Ty to finally dump Hill.

They're going to switch to the hurry-up as Taysom is 3/3 on this.

Reminds me of my childhood days when the Bills found that using the no-huddle at the end of playoff games became so successful they decided to use it all the time.

Archaea 09-22-2016 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 322223)
They're going to switch to the hurry-up as Taysom is 3/3 on this.

Reminds me of my childhood days when the Bills found that using the no-huddle at the end of playoff games became so successful they decided to use it all the time.

I saw they were considering this, but I haven't seen, nor would I expect to see, a comment that they had changed. It is odd though. Ty had all spring, all fall and three games to see Taysom isn't a pro-set QB, yet has persisted to this date.

ChinoCoug 09-22-2016 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 322224)
I saw they were considering this, but I haven't seen, nor would I expect to see, a comment that they had changed. It is odd though. Ty had all spring, all fall and three games to see Taysom isn't a pro-set QB, yet has persisted to this date.

What we've seen is a mushy compromise between what Ty is comfy with (pro-style) and what Taysom is comfy with (read option). I was delighted at the degree to which the shotgun was used (empirically, it gains more yards). Notice they were never in "pro set" (two backs side-by-side). Only I-form in short-yardage situations.

Ty is no ideologue.