cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Barry Bonds broke the HR record (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10725)

YOhio 08-08-2007 03:53 AM

Barry Bonds broke the HR record

I hope he doesn't go and get a big head because of this.

MikeWaters 08-08-2007 03:54 AM

what, did you say something?

YOhio 08-08-2007 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 110702)
what, did you say something?

Are you pretending Barry Bonds doesn't exist?

ute4ever 08-08-2007 04:00 AM

Does he leave the game now and go home, like he did before last night's game ended and like he does before 50% of his team's games end, or do you think he will he stay for the whole thing tonight?

GO A-ROD GO

Jeff Lebowski 08-08-2007 04:09 AM

I remember vividly when Hank Aaron broke the previous record. It was magical. The entire nation was enthralled. Does anybody give a rat's ass about Barry Bonds and this record? I don't.

cougjunkie 08-08-2007 04:21 AM

Did barry bonds use steroids? I dont know, does evidence point to the fact that he probably did? Yes. But if it is so obvious that he cheated then why are we on our 3rd grand jury, why has George Mitchell the MLBs private investigator been at it for over a year, as well as many other investigators and the only inkling of evidence is a leaked grand jury testimony, yet he is still playing, he still just broke the record and we still have no indictment?

You cant tell me that he was the one player that covered his tracks that well, especially when all of BALCO went down.

So until it is proven without a shadow of a doubt I will enjoy the moment and know that i just watched history be made.

Barry Lamar Bonds is the greatest homerun hitter to ever live.

YOhio 08-08-2007 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 110714)
Did barry bonds use steroids? I dont know, does evidence point to the fact that he probably did? Yes. But if it is so obvious that he cheated then why are we on our 3rd grand jury, why has George Mitchell the MLBs private investigator been at it for over a year, as well as many other investigators and the only inkling of evidence is a leaked grand jury testimony, yet he is still playing, he still just broke the record and we still have no indictment?

You cant tell me that he was the one player that covered his tracks that well, especially when all of BALCO went down.

So until it is proven without a shadow of a doubt I will enjoy the moment and know that i just watched history be made.

He cheated on his wife. How can you ever cheer for an adulterer?

Jeff Lebowski 08-08-2007 04:31 AM

Quote:

The steroid issue is only one of several reasons I don't like Barry Bonds. Most homeruns? Yes. Greatest? Not to me.

Surfah 08-08-2007 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 110715)

The Kobe argument. I love it.

A-Rod will be revered until Canseco's new book drops and he's indicted for steroid use too.

FMCoug 08-08-2007 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 110712)
I remember vividly when Hank Aaron broke the previous record. It was magical. The entire nation was enthralled. Does anybody give a rat's ass about Barry Bonds and this record? I don't.

It was a different time. Baseball was much bigger. And you didn't have all the media choices you do now. The fact that Barry is Barry doesn't help but I don't think you'll see that kind of attention again regardless.

SeattleUte 08-08-2007 04:41 AM

Quote:

He doesn't have to be indicted for a felony before a preponderance of the evidence says he's a cheating steroid user dickhead. It's well beyond preponderence. There are eye-witnesses and plenty of circumstantial evidence. He's a chemically created freak. Who cares about this.

Jeff Lebowski 08-08-2007 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 110718)
It was a different time. Baseball was much bigger. And you didn't have all the media choices you do now. The fact that Barry is Barry doesn't help but I don't think you'll see that kind of attention again regardless.

You don't think it has a little bit to do with the fact that Hank Aaron was a class act all the way and Barry is arguably the most egocentric sports star in history? Come on....

fusnik11 08-08-2007 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 110722)
You don't think it has a little bit to do with the fact that Hank Aaron was a class act all the way and Barry is arguably the most egocentric sports star in history? Come on....

He hates the media, isn't the best team player, but is loved by his close unit, in fact revered. I think America has consumed too much of the media Kool-Aid on Lamar.

756, absolutely amazing.

Jeff Lebowski 08-08-2007 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fusnik11 (Post 110725)
He s the media, isn't the best team player, but is loved by his close unit, in fact revered. I think America has consumed too much of the media Kool-Aid on Lamar.

Hoo boy. What are you smoking?

SteelBlue 08-08-2007 06:01 AM

I don't hate Bonds. I think he gets too much of the blame for the steroid era when there is plenty of it to go around and not just for hitters. We don't know how many pitchers were juicing (cough-Roger Clemens- cough) and how that might have affected hitters. Bottom line, my reaction was much like the fans' reaction in San Diego when he tied the record. They booed him at the plate, but when he hit the HR they all cheered. It's exciting to see history made, even when some of it may have been manufactured.

Hank Aaron's video message added some legitimacy to the record imo.

Surfah 08-08-2007 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 110732)
I don't hate Bonds. I think he gets too much of the blame for the steroid era when there is plenty of it to go around and not just for hitters. We don't know how many pitchers were juicing (cough-Roger Clemens- cough) and how that might have affected hitters. Bottom line, my reaction was much like the fans' reaction in San Diego when he tied the record. They booed him at the plate, but when he hit the HR they all cheered. It's exciting to see history made, even when some of it may have been manufactured.

Hank Aaron's video message added some legitimacy to the record imo.

This is what Jayson Stark of espn.com said:

I always feel a little squeamish quoting Jose Canseco. But one thing he told Congress that day in March 2005 was absolutely true. He said it's impossible for any of us to know exactly how many more home runs anybody hit because he was taking steroids or anything else. And, of course, it's impossible to know how many more someone might have hit if the pitchers weren't taking them, too.

Bottomline is that Barry put the bat on the ball. He gets two kudos from me.

MikeWaters 08-08-2007 12:32 PM

CNN said that Barry set the "world record" for home runs in a career.

I hate idiots like that. Sadaharu Oh hit more homers. It's only accurate to say "MLB record".

Professional baseball sucks.

RockyBalboa 08-08-2007 01:16 PM

The only thing special about that moment last night was a teaching moment if you have kids, or for ourselves for that matter.

That while yes you can break records and go down in history, but it will come at the cost of ones own personal integrity and honesty.

Barry Bonds is a piece of crap.

RockyBalboa 08-08-2007 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fusnik11 (Post 110725)
He hates the media, isn't the best team player, but is loved by his close unit, in fact revered. I think America has consumed too much of the media Kool-Aid on Lamar.

756, absolutely amazing.

Yeah but you consume copious amounts of Kool-Aid...or whatever drug it is that you're constantly on because of your extraordinarily bizarre viewpoints and wacked out thought processes

TheSizzle36 08-08-2007 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 110742)
Yeah but you consume copious amounts of Kool-Aid...or whatever drug it is that you're constantly on because of your extraordinarily bizarre viewpoints and wacked out thought processes

Look, why not leave Fus alone? You could have done without that cheap shot...

MikeWaters 08-08-2007 01:41 PM

Does Bonds feel bad that his trainer is sitting in prison for refusing to testify about Bonds' steroid use?

I mean, does it bother Bonds at all?

I'd be shocked if it did.

DrumNFeather 08-08-2007 01:47 PM

I think that baseball fans are kind of nostalgically blind when it comes to how they view the "heros" of baseball's past. In doing so, there is an application of "unwritten" rules and standards that is applied to Bonds. Fair or not, he is held to the standards of the "non steroid ere," and as such, will never measure up to many of the greats of the game.

However, if some of those players were held to the behavioral standards of today's professional athelete, they would be suspended frequently (Ruth & Mantle have been specifically documented as having problems in these areas).

Regardless of what measuring stick is used, it is important to understand, at least in my view that this alleged steriod problem is one that was created or at least fostered by Major league baseball. As such, it has no choice but to celebrate records broken by players from that era. This is a problem that baseball higher ups seemed to know about and did nothing about...to the point where Jose Canseco has become the most credible source to many on the steroid front.

For a game with such a storied past of both cheaters and non cheaters, baseball seems to be in a sad current state of affairs...one that it might not be able to pull itself out of. Attendance may be up in some ball parks, but overall, as this record manifests, the interest in major league baseball in America is waning and it'll take a Sosa/McGuire & Ripken like chase to bring it back.

MikeWaters 08-08-2007 01:52 PM

It's funny how Canseco has gone from pariah to pariah-prophet.

And he says he has the goods on A-Rod coming out in his next book.

ChinoCoug 08-08-2007 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 110715)

per Canseco, Clemens is the lone player who didn't cheat on his wife.

DrumNFeather 08-08-2007 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 110750)
It's funny how Canseco has gone from pariah to pariah-prophet.

And he says he has the goods on A-Rod coming out in his next book.

Yeah, that'll be interesting.

I know there are masking agents and what not, but I'm still surprised that MLB and George Mitchell haven't been able to catch anyone significant outside of Giambi.

MikeWaters 08-08-2007 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 110752)

a-rod was recently photographed in a hotel elevator with an attractive woman who wasn't his wife.

yet he is the non-cheating golden boy.

SteelBlue 08-08-2007 02:18 PM

Bottom line is that in a sense steroids saved baseball. The home run chase between Sosa and McGwire brought back the fans post strike. I believe that owners and commisioners looked the other way because they knew the behavior was restoring the fan base.

MikeWaters 08-08-2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 110760)
Bottom line is that in a sense steroids saved baseball. The home run chase between Sosa and McGwire brought back the fans post strike. I believe that owners and commisioners looked the other way because they knew the behavior was restoring the fan base.

But Bud Selig says this is not true, and that he was shocked to find out that there might be steroid use in baseball.

DrumNFeather 08-08-2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 110762)
But Bud Selig says this is not true, and that he was shocked to find out that there might be steroid use in baseball.

Well, he might be right about his team...the Brewers, I mean, they've sucked forever. Maybe they weren't in on the steroids...and since that is really the only team he follows, perhaps he can claim ignorance.

YOhio 08-08-2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 110752)

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I realize that an overwhelming majority of athletes commit adultery.

ChinoCoug 08-08-2007 02:50 PM

I know, I was just trying to bring up Canseco.

fusnik11 08-08-2007 03:25 PM

I wonder how many times Barry and Sammy have been tested since 04...

You would think a bazillion times.

If Barry juiced, Clemens juiced, A-Rod juiced (who has lost 15 lbs from last year), etc...

The body changes don't shock me as most, take a look at a picture of you at 22 and a picture of you at 35 and see how much bigger most of you are, including the ones who have stayed in shape.

RockyBalboa 08-08-2007 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 (Post 110745)
Look, why not leave Fus alone? You could have done without that cheap shot...

Because he's a dickhead and he's earned it.

MikeWaters 08-08-2007 03:49 PM

Those of you who don't believe Bonds juicied, PM me. I have some incredible ocean-front property I am looking to get liquidate at amazing prices.

cougjunkie 08-08-2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fusnik11 (Post 110776)
I wonder how many times Barry and Sammy have been tested since 04...

You would think a bazillion times.

If Barry juiced, Clemens juiced, A-Rod juiced (who has lost 15 lbs from last year), etc...

The body changes don't shock me as most, take a look at a picture of you at 22 and a picture of you at 35 and see how much bigger most of you are, including the ones who have stayed in shape.

How about a better example Miguel Cabrera at 19 when he came in to the league he was 6'4 195 pounds he is now 6'4 265 lbs 4 years later. Yet no one is talking about him juicing, they are saying he just got fat. I am sure his hat size and shoe size have both increased dramatically.

RockyBalboa 08-08-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 110809)
How about a better example Miguel Cabrera at 19 when he came in to the league he was 6'4 195 pounds he is now 6'4 265 lbs 4 years later. Yet no one is talking about him juicing, they are saying he just got fat. I am sure his hat size and shoe size have both increased dramatically.

So he takes steroids too and is a piece of crap too. Doesn't justify Bonds cheating.

That argument that others are doing it too always makes me chuckle.

DrumNFeather 08-08-2007 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 110816)
So he takes steroids too and is a piece of crap too. Doesn't justify Bonds cheating.

That argument that others are doing it too always makes me chuckle.

Ignoring the fact that others did it should also lead one to chuckle and baseball fans, writers, and higher ups seem to be doing that.

Oh wait...they nailed Giambi...so its Bonds and Giambi...and nobody else.

The whole process has been a joke.

RockyBalboa 08-08-2007 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 110830)
Ignoring the fact that others did it should also lead one to chuckle and baseball fans, writers, and higher ups seem to be doing that.

Oh wait...they nailed Giambi...so its Bonds and Giambi...and nobody else.

The whole process has been a joke.

There are tons of dirty players, owners, managers and higher ups who are guilty in this process.

Saying so doesn't and shouldn't detract from the piece of crap that Barry Bonds is.

TheSizzle36 08-08-2007 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 110791)
Because he's a dickhead and he's earned it.

So because Fus is a dickhead you are willing to make yourself look like one as well?

That makes a lot of sense...

Surfah 08-08-2007 04:52 PM

The only thing consistent with baseball has been scandal. No era in baseball has been free of it. So I think that even people that make the "put the record in context argument" are full of it too.

Barry Bonds was the best player before the juice era. And he was the best during.