cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Divine Institution of Marriage (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21574)

YOhio 08-14-2008 05:34 AM

The Divine Institution of Marriage

The church lays out the case.

http://www.newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsr...on-of-marriage

Solon 08-14-2008 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 252539)

Wow.

TripletDaddy 08-14-2008 05:51 AM

It was an interesting read, but I was hoping to read something new. It was the same stuff.

The overall layout was thus:

1. Religious argument
2. Blame gays for the bad acts of heterosexuals (divorce, abortion, single-parent households)
3. Re-emphasize religious argument
4. Predict calamity
5. Re-emphasize religious argument

Another question I have that I have yet to hear answered well......if homosexual marriage will increase the likelihood of gender confusion in children/teens, how do we explain the fact that pretty much all homosexuals today were raised in heterosexual households? I don't really see any distinct advantage in that particular area.

The repeated emphasis that children be raised by a father and mother is pointless. Gays are adopting the unwanted children that heterosexuals have basically tossed aside. Gays aren't having their own children. They are raising the children that straight people threw away.

Solon 08-14-2008 05:55 AM

You're missing the point: if we allow gay marriage, then the terrorists win.

Seriously, though. Your questions are apt. That's pretty good for a quick read late at night.

TripletDaddy 08-14-2008 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 252544)
You're missing the point: if we allow gay marriage, then the terrorists win.

Seriously, though. Your questions are apt. That's pretty good for a quick read late at night.

Tomorrow when everyone is rested, we can go over the misleading reference to Catholic Charities....an entirely different issue given that Catholic Charities USA receives significant funding from the state to run this adoption arm of its eleemosynary institutions. If you want state bucks, you need to comply. The Catholic Church simply didn't want to do it on its own dime, so it shut down shop. LDSSS does not use state or federal money, at least not to my knowledge.

SeattleUte 08-14-2008 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252543)
It was an interesting read, but I was hoping to read something new. It was the same stuff.

1. Religious argument
2. Blame gays for the bad acts of heterosexuals (divorce, abortion, single-parent households)
4. Predict calamity

Another question I have that I have yet to hear answered well......if homosexual marriage will increase the likelihood of gender confusion in children/teens, how do we explain the fact that pretty much all homosexuals today were raised in heterosexual households? I don't really see any distinct advantage in that particular area.

The repeated emphasis that children be raised by a father and mother is pointless. Gays are adopting the unwanted children that heterosexuals have basically tossed aside. Gays aren't having their own children. They are raising the children that straight people threw away.

This may be your best post ever.

I read this,

"The Church’s opposition to same-sex marriage neither constitutes nor condones any kind of hostility towards homosexual men and women. Protecting marriage between a man and a woman does not affect Church members’ Christian obligations of love, kindness and humanity toward all people,"

and couldn't help being reminded of this:

"I would be willing to let every Negro drive a Cadillac if they could afford it."--MEP

SeattleUte 08-14-2008 06:24 AM

The religious argument of course dodges the central question--the elephant in the room--do you choose your sexual preference?

Gidget 08-14-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 252548)
The religious argument of course dodges the central question--the elephant in the room--do you choose your sexual preference?

Yes, I think we deserve to have this addressed.

exUte 08-14-2008 02:21 PM

Gays are adopting kids that hetero's don't

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252543)

1. Religious argument
4. Predict calamity

want? That's a new one. Using your term, hetero's ARE (and want more kids to adopt) adopting kids hetero's don't want.

exUte 08-14-2008 02:23 PM

Jury is still out on that one. Both sides

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 252565)
Yes, I think we deserve to have this addressed.

can make a case. However, the natural 'man' is born to have sex. Does that mean John Edwards should be excused for his adultery because he was born that way?

Indy Coug 08-14-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 252548)

Are you saying that no one ever chooses their sexual preference? Are you saying that applies to every single one of the 6+ billion people on earth?

Jeff Lebowski 08-14-2008 02:26 PM

Lots of interesting things to discuss in the article. Here is a paragraph that really puzzled me:

Quote:

Finally, throughout history the family has served as an essential bulwark of individual liberty. The walls of a home provide a defense against detrimental social influences and the sometimes overreaching powers of government. In the absence of abuse or neglect, government does not have the right to intervene in the rearing and moral education of children in the home. Strong families are thus vital for political freedom. But when governments presume to redefine the nature of marriage, issuing regulations to ensure public acceptance of non-traditional unions, they have moved a step closer to intervening in the sacred sphere of domestic life. The consequences of crossing this line are many and unpredictable, but likely would include an increase in the power and reach of the state toward whatever ends it seeks to pursue.
Huh? I just don't get that one.

ChinoCoug 08-14-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Many of these single parents have raised exemplary children; nevertheless, extensive studies have shown that in general a husband and wife united in a loving, committed marriage provide the optimal environment for children to be protected, nurtured, and raised.[6] This is not only because of the substantial personal resources that two parents can bring to bear on raising a child, but because of the differing strengths that a father and a mother, by virtue of their gender, bring to the task.
Obama has admitted that not having a father in the home has made him somewhat of a pussy.

TripletDaddy 08-14-2008 02:37 PM

With all the time and research going into these Prop 8 communications, I have noticed a suspicious absence of any data on the effect of homosexual marriage in Massachusetts...where it has been legal now for several years.

In fact, the only reference to Mass. has been the misleading adoption issue.

Does anybody know if, as some have claimed here and elsewhere, children in Mass public schools are now being indoctrinated with homosexuality? Has there been a rise of teens coming out of the closet? Has society in Mass. crumbled? What exactly has happened there that we can safely assume will also happen in California and elsewhere?

Indy Coug 08-14-2008 02:37 PM

Quote:

The prospect of same-sex marriage has already spawned legal collisions with the rights of free speech and of action based on religious beliefs. For example, advocates and government officials in certain states already are challenging the long-held right of religious adoption agencies to follow their religious beliefs and only place children in homes with both a mother and a father. As a result, Catholic Charities in Boston has stopped offering adoption services.

Other advocates of same-sex marriage are suggesting that tax exemptions and benefits be withdrawn from any religious organization that does not embrace same-sex unions.[17] Public accommodation laws are already being used as leverage in an attempt to force religious organizations to allow marriage celebrations or receptions in religious facilities that are otherwise open to the public. Accrediting organizations in some instances are asserting pressure on religious schools and universities to provide married housing for same-sex couples. Student religious organizations are being told by some universities that they may lose their campus recognition and benefits if they exclude same-sex couples from club membership.[18]

Many of these examples have already become the legal reality in several nations of the European Union, and the European Parliament has recommended that laws guaranteeing and protecting the rights of same-sex couples be made uniform across the EU.[19] Thus, if same-sex marriage becomes a recognized civil right, there will be substantial conflicts with religious freedom. And in some important areas, religious freedom may be diminished.

Indy Coug 08-14-2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252582)
With all the time and research going into these Prop 8 communications, I have noticed a suspicious absence of any data on the effect of homosexual marriage in Massachusetts...where it has been legal now for several years.

What kind of data are you looking for and what kind of credible data would you expect to see emerge from such a short time horizon?

TripletDaddy 08-14-2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 252583)

Ha...you are tax a guy, I forgot.....the insurance stuff.

Please explain Catholic Charities USA to all of us.

Where does it get its funding? How much of it is directly from the state? how much of it comes from large corporations? Why doesnt the Catholic Church simply privately fund its adoption agency? And in what way is the LDS adoption situation different from the CCUSA situation?

TripletDaddy 08-14-2008 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 252584)
What kind of data are you looking for and what kind of credible data would you expect to see emerge from such a short time horizon?

Anything.

It isnt hard for someone in the Church to go verify whether homosexuality is now a forced part of the public school curriculum, now is it?

Are you now of the position that there is no real way to gauge the effects of gay marriage on society without waiting for a long time horizon after such practice is legalized? If so, I would agree.

Indy Coug 08-14-2008 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252585)
Ha...you are tax a guy, I forgot.....the insurance stuff.

Please explain Catholic Charities USA to all of us.

Where does it get its funding? How much of it is directly from the state? how much of it comes from large corporations? Why doesnt the Catholic Church simply privately fund its adoption agency? And in what way is the LDS adoption situation different from the CCUSA situation?

That's all you got from that quoted section? You completely missed the main point.

Indy Coug 08-14-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252586)
Are you now of the position that there is no real way to gauge the effects of gay marriage on society without waiting for a long time horizon after such practice is legalized? If so, I would agree.

Would you care to demonstrate where I stated otherwise before?

TripletDaddy 08-14-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 252587)
That's all you got from that quoted section? You completely missed the main point.

The main point is what exactly?

That the US is going to conform its domestic family laws using the EU as legal precendent?

That religions will lose their exemptions to worship as they may? And that if any such effort is made to do so, that Jews, Catholics, Christians, and Muslims would not all unite to fight any such government intervention?

That the referencing of CCUSA is totally misleading because CCUSA is a partially publicly funded organization that receives over a million dollars a year from the state of Mass?

TripletDaddy 08-14-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 252588)
Would you care to demonstrate where I stated otherwise before?

That's all you got? You completely missed the main point.

Indy Coug 08-14-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252590)
That's all you got? You completely missed the main point.

OK. You're not interested in a serious discussion. Got it. Carry on.

TripletDaddy 08-14-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 252592)
OK. You're not interested in a serious discussion. Got it. Carry on.

A serious discussion with you? Do you have a link pointing me to one in which you have engaged?

I am waiting for you to drop another "fag" bomb on the group this morning. I am sure your dad would be proud.

Jeff Lebowski 08-14-2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Public accommodation laws are already being used as leverage in an attempt to force religious organizations to allow marriage celebrations or receptions in religious facilities that are otherwise open to the public.

If you make your facilities open to the general public, why would you want to single out gays for discrimination?

Quote:

Accrediting organizations in some instances are asserting pressure on religious schools and universities to provide married housing for same-sex couples.

Ha. I have a hard time believing this one.

Quote:

Student religious organizations are being told by some universities that they may lose their campus recognition and benefits if they exclude same-sex couples from club membership.

What does this have to do with same-sex marriage? And why would a religious club at a university want to ban gays from membership? This is a mindset that we are supposed to rally around? Argh.

Solon 08-14-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 252570)
Huh? I just don't get that one.

I don't get it either.

In general, I found the appeals to "history" or "the ages" vague, unconvincing, and probably inaccurate (from a historian's point of view)

E.g.:
Quote:

Marriage is not primarily a contract between individuals to ratify their affections and provide for mutual obligations. Rather, marriage and family are vital instruments for rearing children and teaching them to become responsible adults. While governments did not invent marriage, throughout the ages governments of all types have recognized and affirmed marriage as an essential institution in preserving social stability and perpetuating life itself. Hence, regardless of whether marriages were performed as a religious rite or a civil ceremony, married couples in almost every culture have been granted special privileges aimed primarily at sustaining their relationship and promoting the environment in which children are reared. A husband and a wife do not receive these privileges to elevate them above any other two people who may share a residence or social tie, but rather in order to preserve, protect, and defend the all-important institutions of marriage and family.
I would consider this to be a very presentist definition of marriage. Or, at best, very clumsily worded.

MikeWaters 08-14-2008 03:22 PM

Allowing gay marriage and putting less social stigma on gay hookups in general, ironically, might DECREASE the number of gays in the future.

That is, we might have less gays marrying the opposite sex, either supressing their urge to have sex with the same sex, or getting some on the down-low. Gays marrying the opposite sex have children. And pass on their genes.

So, if you wanted to "eradicate" gays through eugenics, you would support gay marriage. Someone please pass this onto the church. If gays are eradicated through this, then the church won't ever have to explain to Sister Smith why her son Jimmy ended up gay, beyond the sort of statement we frequently hear from Mormons: Sister Smith raised a son who made the choice to be gay.

Boy there are so many ironies in all of this. Is the church going to put out a news release explaining how the practice of polygamy destroys the family?

Don't lose faith, my friends. Inmates do from time to time run the asylum, but there reign isn't permanent.

Sleeping in EQ 08-14-2008 03:34 PM

As much as SU's appeal to Mussolini was over the top, the desire to turn control of one's decisions over to another, "to desire the very thing that dominates and exploits us" (Foucault, 1983, p. xiii) is fascist. It is also, I think, Oedipal.

All of a sudden, homosexuality's relationship to the Oedipal makes sense.

SeattleUte 08-14-2008 04:00 PM

Someone needs to tell them that brevity is the soul of wit. I'm always struck by how their public statements are about five times too long.

Levin 08-14-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 252606)

Don't lose faith, my friends. Inmates do from time to time run the asylum, but there reign isn't permanent.

I wonder who wrote this press release. An Apostle? Some functionary?

It wasn't very well written or reasoned, and it was much too long.

Plus, I agree with Lebowski, the last point on political freedom rang with a loud atonal clang.

SeattleUte 08-14-2008 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ (Post 252611)
As much as SU's appeal to Mussolini was over the top, the desire to turn control of one's decisions over to another, "to desire the very thing that dominates and exploits us" (Foucault, 1983, p. xiii) is fascist. It is also, I think, Oedipal.

All of a sudden, homosexuality's relationship to the Oedipal makes sense.

It wasn't over the top. Intense longing and nostalgia for the past, a sense of self steeped in a highly mythologized past, a chauvenistic sense that only those sharing a common heritage are elect in some sense, a welcoming of authoritarianism as a means to achieving a highly idealized society in conformance with the ultra conservative vision, a sacrificing even of offspring to maintenance of the greater authority (of course, since one's whole sense of self derives from the greater authority), are all hallmarks of fascism.

This is why "Islamofascism" is a very precise epithet. I have no doubt that if America were a Mormon theocracy the September Six would have been shot and buried in a common grave and we'd all be risking our lives and liberty right now. Fascism is really the oldest, and most enduring form of authoritarianism. You are seeing a re-emergence of it right now in Russia. Tragically, Solghenytzin turned out not to be a lover of liberty but a fascist (fascism and communism get along like cats and dogs, which makes a lot of sense, but that's a subject for another day). Fascism is what is holding China together right now, and its dark impulses are now being stirred by the pagentry of the Chinese Olympics.

It isn't a coincidence that the LDS Conference Center looks like it was designed by Alber Speer.

See Downfall for a popular primer on the allure and effects of fascim. If Mormonism suffered its Gotterdamerung I'm sure many would choose to be immolated with the greater authority.

myboynoah 08-14-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 252646)
It wasn't over the top. Intense longing and nostalgia for the past, a sense of self steeped in a highly mythologized past, a chauvenistic sense that only those sharing a common heritage are elect in some sense, a welcoming of authoritarianism as a means to achieving a highly idealized society in conformance with the ultra conservative vision, a sacrificing even of offspring to maintenance of the greater authority (of course, since one's whole sense of self derives from the greater authority), are all hallmarks of fascism.

This is why "Islamofascism" is a very precise epithet. I have no doubt that if America were a Mormon theocracy the September Six would have been shot and buried in a common grave and we'd all be risking our lives and liberty right now. Fascism is really the oldest, and most enduring form of authoritarianism. You are seeing a re-emergence of it right now in Russia. Tragically, Solghenytzin turned out not to be a lover of liberty but a fascist (fascism and communism get along like cats and dogs, which makes a lot of sense, but that's a subject for another day). Fascism is what is holding China together right now, and its dark impulses are now being stirred by the pagentry of the Chinese Olympics.

It isn't a coincidence that the LDS Conference Center looks like it was designed by Alber Speer.

See Downfall for a popular primer on the allure and effects of fascim. If Mormonism suffered its Gotterdamerung I'm sure many would choose to be immolated with the greater authority.

TIC

CardiacCoug 08-14-2008 05:55 PM

"As Church members decide their own appropriate level of involvement in protecting marriage between a man and a woman, they should approach this issue with respect for others, understanding, honesty, and civility. "

Isn't this section from the statement basically saying that individual Church members have a right to abstain from campaigning for Proposition 8 and they shouldn't be hassled by other members for this? That's how I read it.

TripletDaddy 08-14-2008 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardiacCoug (Post 252693)
"As Church members decide their own appropriate level of involvement in protecting marriage between a man and a woman, they should approach this issue with respect for others, understanding, honesty, and civility. "

Isn't this section from the statement basically saying that individual Church members have a right to abstain from campaigning for Proposition 8 and they shouldn't be hassled by other members for this? That's how I read it.

Yes. Or at least this is how I read it, too.

In that spirit, I do sincerely apologize if I have not been civil during this discussion....Indy, Tex, BDB. Sorry. It is nothing personal against any of you, of course. I messed up. No excuses.

OrangeUte 08-14-2008 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252582)

In fact, the only reference to Mass. has been the misleading adoption issue.

Does anybody know if, as some have claimed here and elsewhere, children in Mass public schools are now being indoctrinated with homosexuality? Has there been a rise of teens coming out of the closet? Has society in Mass. crumbled? What exactly has happened there that we can safely assume will also happen in California and elsewhere?

this was my thought as i read through this bulletin. I've been to Mass. since marrital rights were extended to all people, and i was there before.

i could tell no discrenible difference. then again, i guess i didn't go into their schools to hear all of the homosexual propoganda being shoved down the throats of the children that the bulletin predicts. that's a snide comment because i know that isn't what the church is really saying, but it's not far from the truth the church is arguing with this parade of horribles they have presented regarding the divine institution of marriage.

a good friend of mine who worked for the Catholic Charities, and they confirmed to me that ddd is right on the reason for them not doing adoptions.

also, i think that SU is right that the elephant in the room is not being addressed. the church is a bit passive aggressive with this issue - they talk about sin, but never come out and say that all of these homosexuals and lesbians are dirty sinners. that's what they want to say, but they also want to make statements about compassion and tolerance (watered way way way down, though)!

i don't think that any gay member of the church, or gay right's group, is seriously thinking that they can get the government to force gay temple marriages. that is absurd.

the parade of horribles argument is much too speculative for me and nothing in that letter has made me change my mind.

As for the letter from the First Presidency, here is a quote: "We ask that you do all you can to support the proposed constitutional amendment by donating of your means and time to assure that marriage in California is legally defined as being between a man and a woman. Our best efforts are required to preserve the sacred institution of marriage."

The use of the words "all you can" "to assure" "best efforts are required" make me think the church wants to mandate this effort, but just won't come out and say it.

Indy Coug 08-14-2008 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252593)
A serious discussion with you? Do you have a link pointing me to one in which you have engaged?

I am waiting for you to drop another "fag" bomb on the group this morning. I am sure your dad would be proud.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252696)
Yes. Or at least this is how I read it, too.

In that spirit, I do sincerely apologize if I have not been civil during this discussion....Indy, Tex, BDB. Sorry. It is nothing personal against any of you, of course. I messed up. No excuses.

The "fag bomb" was not intended as an actual slur against you. It was just a joke given the topic of that particular thread and the "lather" comments.

OrangeUte 08-14-2008 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardiacCoug (Post 252693)

My hope is that is what they think. but, it does say "level of involvement" which makes me think that the church won't accept no involvement as a response to their efforts.

OrangeUte 08-14-2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 252704)
The "fag bomb" was not intended as an actual slur against you. It was just a joke given the topic of that particular thread and the "lather" comments.

bull shit, indy. you're a homophobe but don't want to admit it. it was very distasteful.

Indy Coug 08-14-2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeUte (Post 252708)
bull shit, indy. you're a homophobe but don't want to admit it. it was very distasteful.

Piss off, you Ute wanker.

OrangeUte 08-14-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 252709)
Piss off, you Ute wanker.

nice job handling the truth. you're like my 7 year old.