cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   This talk won't go over well with some... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12508)

RC Vikings 10-07-2007 05:01 PM

This talk won't go over well with some...

the stay at home talk.

Archaea 10-07-2007 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 132373)
the stay at home talk.

anachronistic to say the least.

Detroitdad 10-07-2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 132375)

Too right.

marsupial 10-07-2007 05:18 PM

We were playing at the park and just got back and turned it on. Who spoke on this subject? Was it the main message of the talk?

Archaea 10-07-2007 05:18 PM

Some frumpy mormon gal.

Tex 10-07-2007 05:23 PM

Interesting that she would use the word "homemaking" at a time when the church appears to be moving away from that term.

So ... is Sister Beck part of the old guard that refuses to die, or is she part of a new effort to revitalize the concept of women doing great work in the home?

MikeWaters 10-07-2007 05:24 PM

A new effort would acknowledge itself as such.

FarrahWaters 10-07-2007 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 132387)
We were playing at the park and just got back and turned it on. Who spoke on this subject? Was it the main message of the talk?

It was the new Relief Society general president, Julie Beck. This was the first time I have heard her speak as Pres, and it wasn't very encouraging. Sure, women do great work in the home, mothers are important, etc... but it's very old and tired, and a step backwards in my opinion.

jay santos 10-07-2007 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 132375)

Completely disagree.

Requiem 10-07-2007 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 132392)
Interesting that she would use the word "homemaking" at a time when the church appears to be moving away from that term.

So ... is Sister Beck part of the old guard that refuses to die, or is she part of a new effort to revitalize the concept of women doing great work in the home?

She addressed motherhood as if it is the optimum state of LDS womanhood. Sorry to disappoint you, but there are plenty of us not in a position to be mothers. Many LDS women, for whatever reason, will never be mothers. According to Beck, we are non-entities.

Where in this GC are any words addressing those of us not in the mainstream? Am I only of eternal worth if I toddle down to the local sperm bank?

It is easy for those of you in family situations to sit back and condescendingly pontificate that all is well...

Tex 10-07-2007 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 132397)
She addressed motherhood as if it is the optimum state of LDS womanhood. Sorry to disappoint you, but there are plenty of us not in a position to be mothers. Many LDS women, for whatever reason, will never be mothers. According to Beck, we are non-entities.

Where in this GC are any words addressing those of us not in the mainstream? Am I only of eternal worth if I toddle down to the local sperm bank?

It is easy for those of you in family situations to sit back and condescendingly pontificate that all is well...

What a terribly pessimistic and depressing outlook on a very nice talk.

Requiem 10-07-2007 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 132401)
What a terribly pessimistic and depressing outlook on a very nice talk.

Hopefully your naivete' is tempered by a modicum of compassion. GC Sundays can be hell.

Tex 10-07-2007 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 132405)
GC Sundays can be hell.

I find them to be quite nice.

SoonerCoug 10-07-2007 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 132406)

First time I've ever agreed with Tex.

I like GC, too. It means I get to stay home and watch football.

Requiem 10-07-2007 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 132406)

Well then, as Tex says, so let it be written. That is one of the most narrow minded comments you have made. Given your body of work, that is remarkable.

Tex 10-07-2007 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 132408)
Well then, as Tex says, so let it be written. That is one of the most narrow minded comments you have made. Given your body of work, that is remarkable.

What a wonderful thing General Conference is! We get a chance every 6 months to receive 8-10 hours of counsel and instruction from men and women chosen by God to lead us. We hear revelation, testimony, and faith. We are taught by a prophet of God, live and in color!

Such a marvelous thing, it makes me excited.

jay santos 10-07-2007 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 132397)

I don't blame you for feeling that way, but I think it's sad and it's wrong.

It's not so much a male vs female thing. I feel like my most important work of my life is as a father and as a husband.

I understand not all will have ideal lives and that makes life confusing and enters in sorrow and trials for many. But unempathetic as it might sound, I believe no one escapes those sorrow and trials in this life, and the fact that it creates sorrow and trials for some to talk of the ideal life for God's children is not a reason to avoid talking about it.

I try to be sympathetic to those that feel judged, but the quote attributed to Nelson Mandela comees to my mind in this case.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

It doesn't do anyone any good to avoid talking about how to live the best we can and to strive for that because we're worried it might hurt someone else's feelings. That doesn't take away how hurtful it might be for you, though, and I trust God to bless you as you endure those trials.

Adam talks about how the church needs to ask for more sacrifice from its members. MW talks about how we need to differentiate ourselves from other Christian churches. This subject, to me, is the primary way we can do it. Men, give up the worldly way of chasing women, seeking fame and fortune, and dedicate yourselves to your wife and children. Women, same thing. It's a difficult thing, but it's a beautiful message and ideal life to try to attain.

JohnnyLingo 10-07-2007 06:09 PM

Both my mother and my wife loved Sister Beck's talk.

Maybe that explains a bit.

Sassy in RS 10-07-2007 06:14 PM

Did she cite a single scripture? It sounded like more cultural pablum.

tooblue 10-07-2007 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy in RS (Post 132424)
Did she cite a single scripture? It sounded like more cultural pablum.

Did she not site woman of consequence from the Bible? Is she not a general leader of this church, empowered to teach and edify at General Conference?

tooblue 10-07-2007 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 132425)
Did she not site woman of consequence from the Bible? Is she not a general leader of this church, empowered to teach and edify at General Conference?

Are you suggesting she has no authority? That her words have no place?

tooblue 10-07-2007 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 132419)
I don't blame you for feeling that way, but I think it's sad and it's wrong.

It's not so much a male vs female thing. I feel like my most important work of my life is as a father and as a husband.

I understand not all will have ideal lives and that makes life confusing and enters in sorrow and trials for many. But unempathetic as it might sound, I believe no one escapes those sorrow and trials in this life, and the fact that it creates sorrow and trials for some to talk of the ideal life for God's children is not a reason to avoid talking about it.

I try to be sympathetic to those that feel judged, but the quote attributed to Nelson Mandela comees to my mind in this case.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

It doesn't do anyone any good to avoid talking about how to live the best we can and to strive for that because we're worried it might hurt someone else's feelings. That doesn't take away how hurtful it might be for you, though, and I trust God to bless you as you endure those trials.

Adam talks about how the church needs to ask for more sacrifice from its members. MW talks about how we need to differentiate ourselves from other Christian churches. This subject, to me, is the primary way we can do it. Men, give up the worldly way of chasing women, seeking fame and fortune, and dedicate yourselves to your wife and children. Women, same thing. It's a difficult thing, but it's a beautiful message and ideal life to try to attain.

Very powerful words -well said.

tooblue 10-07-2007 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 132425)
Did she not cite woman of consequence from the Bible? Is she not a general leader of this church, empowered to teach and edify at General Conference?

furthermore I believe she also quoted a prophet of God.

SoonerCoug 10-07-2007 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 132427)

I'd suggest that she only has authority over women.

That's why I was watching the Chiefs instead.

I'll start listening to female church leaders when they are granted general authority instead of authority over a single gender.

tooblue 10-07-2007 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 132431)
I'd suggest that she only has authority over women.

That's why I was watching the Chiefs instead.

I'll start listening to female church leaders when they give them general authority instead of authority over a single gender.

I listened intently, for I consider her an authority over all of the members of this church born to a Mother ... and that would be all members ;)

Sassy in RS 10-07-2007 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 132427)

Keep your sneering to yourself.

FarrahWaters 10-07-2007 06:29 PM

What if all the men in the church were told that the noblest calling they could have would be as a construction worker? It's useful to society, you can stay physically fit, and you'd make very little pay, but it would be an honest living.

I object that the job of homemaker should be held up as the dream job for every woman. Do I look down upon women who like being homemakers (and are good at it). Of course not. But why should it be for everyone?

I am grateful to be a mother, and I know how important that job is. But one day, the kids will be in school and I don't think I will be happy as a homemaker.

SoonerCoug 10-07-2007 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 132433)
I listened intently, for I consider her an authority over all of the members of this church born to a Mother ... and that would be all members ;)

She doesn't have authority over all members of the Church. She is just being patronized by being granted the opportunity to speak on homemaking.

Requiem 10-07-2007 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 132428)
Very powerful words -well said.

At least you bring some hilarity to my day. Married mormon men tell single mormon woman to "stop chasing men, get married and all will be well in Zion"? Are your lives really this black and white? You just reinforce the fact that GC is all about the mainstream. Was Christ this exclusive?

tooblue 10-07-2007 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy in RS (Post 132435)
Keep your sneering to yourself.

You sneered but intimating that she did not quote scripture, perhaps to undermine the validity of her words. Don't attempt to turn it on me. Answer my sincere question.

tooblue 10-07-2007 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 132436)
What if all the men in the church were told that the noblest calling they could have would be as a construction worker? It's useful to society, you can stay physically fit, and you'd make very little pay, but it would be an honest living.

I object that the job of homemaker should be held up as the dream job for every woman. Do I look down upon women who like being homemakers (and are good at it). Of course not. But why should it be for everyone?

I am grateful to be a mother, and I know how important that job is. But one day, the kids will be in school and I don't think I will be happy as a homemaker.

That is an awfully narrow view of what is said. Sad actually, for that's not what I or my wife heard. My wife felt supported, appreciated and grateful that she was acknowledged in conference by another woman, an authority in the church.

tooblue 10-07-2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 132438)
At least you bring some hilarity to my day. Married mormon men tell single mormon woman to "stop chasing men, get married and all will be well in Zion"? Are your lives really this black and white? You just reinforce the fact that GC is all about the mainstream. Was Christ this exclusive?

Uhmmm when have I ever written such nonsense. You're right, GC should be all about you ... you, you, you, you ... you are all that matters in this world.

oh my.

MikeWaters 10-07-2007 06:39 PM

are homemakers in the church actually insecure about whether what they are doing is approved by the church?

I wouldn't think so.

Sassy in RS 10-07-2007 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 132439)
You sneered but intimating that she did not quote scripture, perhaps to undermine the validity of her words. Don't attempt to turn it on me. Answer my sincere question.

If by "sincere" you mean "sincerely belligerent," than I agree you are sincere.

Who do you think you are? A bishop lecturing a YW leader during Ward Council?

You seem threatened by strong women.

tooblue 10-07-2007 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 132441)
That is an awfully narrow view of what is said. Sad actually, for that's not what I or my wife heard. My wife felt supported, appreciated and grateful that she was acknowledged in conference by another woman, an authority in the church.

Unfortunately my wife often feels put down at church especially in her calling. In the presidency in which she serves she is the only one that does not work ... or at least that what she is told at every meeting by the other woman!

Oh, sister tooblue can take care of it -she doesn't work. It's a pervasive attitude she must contend with weekly. She is deemed less important, less occupied, less relevant.

It's about time someone other than a condescending man stood up for her.

MikeWaters 10-07-2007 06:44 PM

I'm not aware of a woman in my ward with children of school age who has a professional career.

I'm sure there are, I'm just not aware of one. I am aware of one that is going to school in order to have one. So I'll count her as one.

It's the women with jobs that are feeling guilty in the church, not the other way around.

tooblue 10-07-2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy in RS (Post 132446)
If by "sincere" you mean "sincerely belligerent," than I agree you are sincere.

Who do you think you are? A bishop lecturing a YW leader during Ward Council?

You seem threatened by strong women.

Now I'm threatened? I ofter an honest opinion and question and refuse to back down from your criticism and I am somehow threatened by strong woman?

I do not place you on a pedestal, sorry, I'm not simply going to defer to your so called greater sensativity and spirituality.

lol

You are the one who appears to be threatened by a strong woman.

Sassy in RS 10-07-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 132450)
Now I'm threatened? I ofter an honest opinion and question and refuse to back down from your criticism and I am somehow threatened by strong woman?

I do not place you on a pedestal, sorry, I'm not simply going to defer to your so called greater sensativity and spirituality.

lol

You are the one who appears to be threatened by a strong woman.

I used to wear two earrings so as to avoid ever having to converse with jerks such as yourself.

Requiem 10-07-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 132442)
Uhmmm when have I ever written such nonsense. You're right, GC should be all about you ... you, you, you, you ... you are all that matters in this world.

oh my.

Careful TB, you wouldn't want to allow the entire world to observe your obvious immaturity and lack of intelligence on GC Sunday. My point is simply the church should be more inclusive and, as you so brilliantly exemplify, a bit less judgmental.

Perhaps you could revert to your uneducated anti-evolution mode. Give us some variety.

tooblue 10-07-2007 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 132445)
are homemakers in the church actually insecure about whether what they are doing is approved by the church?

I wouldn't think so.

Speak with my wife. She is continually assailed by the notion that somehow she should not feel insecure, simply because she supposadly receives more support in the church. You have done it right here with your post ;)

Boy, that's awfully insensitive for a man of your profession.