cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   I need some new running music. (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15189)

Solon 12-20-2007 02:07 PM

I need some new running music.

I'm not into hip-hop (other than the beastie boys) and I've been listening to espn radio podcasts for a couple of months, but I need something to help me lose the 5 pounds I packed on this semester. I've also listened to the Killers and Mest for awhile - the beats help me keep a stride - but I'm getting burned out on my stuff.

What kick-ass tunes do you run / work out to?

UteStar 12-20-2007 07:17 PM

If you want a little harder music to 'pump' you up, there is Metallica, 3 Days Grace, KoRn and Linkin Park.

Venkman 12-20-2007 07:26 PM

The best running music is Bon Scott era AC/DC.

SteelBlue 12-20-2007 07:31 PM

I have made some strange observations about running music. The first is that guitar driven rock (which I love) does not help me during a hard run. In fact, the more I'm suffering during a hard run, the more I am aggravated by such tunes. As a result I have very few guitar driven tunes on my running playlists. An exception is "When the Levee Breaks" which seems to work well for me.

The second observation is that, like you, I don't really like hip hop/rap but for running those beats are helpful. I have several songs that I only listen to while running that I don't ever listen to anywhere else and some that I'm even embarrassed to have on my iPod in certain company but if it works, it works. Some examples: Jay Z- Dirt off Your Shoulder, LL Cool J Headsprung and Kanye West Stronger all work really well for hard runs.

Third, classical music works really well for me, especially on hard runs. I don't feel the aggravation I sometimes feel with other genres when I'm trying to go fast. I discovered this on accident when I chose "Now Playing" and didn't realize that I had it on a classical guitar album and was too lazy to reset it after I started my run. Beethoven's 4th symphony is a favorite to run to.

I realize none of this helps you any but I'm curious if anyone has had similar observations.

bluegoose 12-20-2007 07:54 PM

I need a lot of variety on the iPod, as I quickly get bored of the same old stuff. When I run alone, I actually listen to alot of NPR or RadioLab podcasts. Early in the morning (5:00am) I can't listen to anything too rockin, so I usually stay pretty mellow, often Classical or instrumental. Last week it was Phantom of the Opera and Braveheart. The week before I thing it was Michelle Branch and Norah Jones.

To answer your question, though, glancing quickly at my iTunes account here are some on my current Running mixes:

Barenaked Ladies
Linkin Park
Aerosmith
Carbon Leaf
CCR
Beatles
Keane
Bon Jovi
Van Halen
Wilco

Some good bands who are not good for running:
Queen
Meatloaf

TripletDaddy 12-20-2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 165654)
I'm not into hip-hop (other than the beastie boys) and I've been listening to espn radio podcasts for a couple of months, but I need something to help me lose the 5 pounds I packed on this semester. I've also listened to the Killers and Mest for awhile - the beats help me keep a stride - but I'm getting burned out on my stuff.

What kick-ass tunes do you run / work out to?

If you are serious about beats, have you tried electronica? Or do you like to have lyrics? I love listening to electronica if I am on the eliptical. You may enjoy running or doing treadmills to electronica specifically due to the dearth of lyrics.

I am sure you have heard of Okenfold. His discs are pretty easy to find in most record shops.

Some of my favorites right now include Chicane, Paul van Dyk, Above and Beyond, and classic staples like kruder & dorfmeister, Tiesto, and BT.

woot 12-20-2007 08:04 PM

I love metal/rock/folk and hate rap, but agree that rap is better for exercise than the others. However, my hatred of most rap is enough that I still can't do it. I find that electronic stuff is a happy medium. Crystal Method has some great stuff. They did the theme song for Bones, and I think House too, both of which have cool beats.

Edit: Actually Massive Attack did the House theme. I don't know enough to tell them apart.

SteelBlue 12-20-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 165819)
If you are serious about beats, have you tried electronica?

There's a free podcast called "Podrunner" that has tons of different 1 hour electronica mixes set at different RPM's. I snag one every now and then and they are helpful.

bluegoose 12-20-2007 09:56 PM

Quote:

if I am on the eliptical.

It all makes sense now. You definitely strike me as an elliptical kind of guy.

woot 12-20-2007 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 165867)

I own an elliptical and a treadmill. I use the elliptical, my wife uses the treadmill. My knees will need to be replaced some day, and I'm trying to postpone that.

bluegoose 12-20-2007 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 165869)
I own an elliptical and a treadmill. I use the elliptical, my wife uses the treadmill. My knees will need to be replaced some day, and I'm trying to postpone that.

Cyclists rarely need knee replacements. Hip replacements, yes, but rarely knee relacements.

RockyBalboa 12-20-2007 10:25 PM

Rocky Balboa....it's a compilation of the music from the 1st movie through the last one.

woot 12-20-2007 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 165880)
Cyclists rarely need knee replacements. Hip replacements, yes, but rarely knee relacements.

Indeed, but I find the elliptical to be a better workout, and more fun. I guess I don't like sitting down while I work out.

TripletDaddy 12-21-2007 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 165867)

My knees are not great.

Hours and hours of prayer.

TripletDaddy 12-21-2007 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 165880)

Also, calcium deposits in the testicles, yes. knee replacements, no.

FarrahWaters 12-21-2007 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 165804)
I have made some strange observations about running music. The first is that guitar driven rock (which I love) does not help me during a hard run. In fact, the more I'm suffering during a hard run, the more I am aggravated by such tunes. As a result I have very few guitar driven tunes on my running playlists. An exception is "When the Levee Breaks" which seems to work well for me.

The second observation is that, like you, I don't really like hip hop/rap but for running those beats are helpful. I have several songs that I only listen to while running that I don't ever listen to anywhere else and some that I'm even embarrassed to have on my iPod in certain company but if it works, it works. Some examples: Jay Z- Dirt off Your Shoulder, LL Cool J Headsprung and Kanye West Stronger all work really well for hard runs.

Third, classical music works really well for me, especially on hard runs. I don't feel the aggravation I sometimes feel with other genres when I'm trying to go fast. I discovered this on accident when I chose "Now Playing" and didn't realize that I had it on a classical guitar album and was too lazy to reset it after I started my run. Beethoven's 4th symphony is a favorite to run to.

I realize none of this helps you any but I'm curious if anyone has had similar observations.

I agree with all your observations. I like listening to the Killers, but I find most of it is not good running music. Sometimes a more mellow song can help your upper body relax a little, and lengthen your stride. For instance, I would have never thought Weezer's Island in the Sun would be a good song to run to, but if you run in double time to the song, it's the perfect speed for me.

RC Vikings 12-21-2007 04:09 AM

Emiemen Lose Yourself
Turn up the Radio Autograph
This ain't no Disco Talking Heads
All These things that i have done Killers
Given the Dog a Bone AC/DC
Hit that The Offspring
Dragula Rob Zombie
Dancing with myself Billy Idol
Cowboy Kid Rock
Blurry Puddle of Mudd
Runnin Down a Dream Tom Petty
You Get What you Give The New Radicals
Praise You Fatboy Slim
Gimme Some Lovin Spencer Davis Group
Nookie Limp Bizkit
Panama Van Halen
I melt with you Modern English
Mr Jones Counting Crows

SteelBlue 12-21-2007 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 165945)
Turn up the Radio Autograph

There's a trip down memory lane.

MikeWaters 12-21-2007 02:28 PM

RC Vikings 12-21-2007 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 165992)
There's a trip down memory lane.

Most of it is so old i thought it may be new for the young guys. These are just some of the songs i listen to beat the boredom of the indoor workout.

nomerme 04-14-2008 01:22 PM

yeah... if u like kanye west, there is a compilation series you should check out called "Euro Club Hits" --

it's pretty clear that dance music is coming back around the world -- just check the recent big American hip-hop and R&B hits which are clear rip-offs of the european dance style.....

here's the direct iTunes link to the "Euro Club Hits" series.....

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...Club+Hits+Vol+

landpoke 04-14-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 165803)
The best running music is Bon Scott era AC/DC.

I heartily endorse this post. Though I no longer run unless being chased, back when I trained for my various mediocre sporting endeavors AC/DC was the go to. I would throw Back in Black in there too, but nothing beyond that.

Archaea 04-14-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 208358)
I heartily endorse this post. Though I no longer run unless being chased, back when I trained for my various mediocre sporting endeavors AC/DC was the go to. I would throw Back in Black in there too, but nothing beyond that.

AC/DC is not bad, but Led Zepplin or Rolling Stones are better, because you have more songs so you can run for hours upon end.

landpoke 04-14-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 208366)
AC/DC is not bad, but Led Zepplin or Rolling Stones are better, because you have more songs so you can run for hours upon end.

I can't foresee a scenario where I would be chased for hours on end so I think the Bon Scott era AC/DC + Back in Black should be sufficient.

witweew 04-16-2008 08:18 AM

fitness music

for gym music music for fitness in general, I recommend european dance music.......

it's ALWAYS the best motivational tool for me...

.....and you don't have to tell anyone at the office if u just listen to it on the mp3 player at the gym ;) ....

.... here's a compilation series on itunes that I recommend -- the "Euro Club Hits" series:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...Club+Hits+Vol+

cougjunkie 04-16-2008 05:13 PM

Eminem- like toy soldiers
Kanye West- Stronger
All We are- One Republic
DMX- anything by DMX, it all pumps me up
Eminem- till I collapse (this was number 1 on Nikes website for a while)
Fort Minor- Remember the name
Limp Bizkit with DMX,Method Man and Redman - Rollin

Kilgore Trout 04-16-2008 07:14 PM

I have an mp3 player that I use almost exclusively for eliptical trainer or running. I like to throw a bunch of stuff on and put it on random play. Here's a sampler of what I've got on now:

AC/DC - Touch Too Much
Arcade Fire - Rebellion (Lies)
Billy Squier - Lonely Is the Night
Blondie - Atomic
Buddy Holly - Rave On
Clash - Complete Control
Devo - Mongoloid
Electric Light Orchestra - Ma-Ma-Ma- Belle
English Beat - Get a Job
Faith Assembly - Allure
Grateful Dead - Touch of Grey
Hilary - Drop Your Pants
Hubert Kah - The Picture
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
Ladytron - He Took Her to a Movie
Lenny Kravitz - Lady
Let's Active - In Lttle Ways
Lush - For Love
Material Issue - Valerie Loves Me
Maurice & the Cliches - Softcore
Morrissey - Hairdresser On Fire
New Order - Dreams Never End
Pinkees - Danger Games
Pixies - Here Comes Your Man
Psychedelic Furs - All of This and Nothing [demo]
Queen - Bicycle Race
R.E.M. - 1,000,000
R.E.M. - Get Up
Red Rockers - (Come On Into) My House
Rolling Stones - Its Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
Rolling Stones - Start Me Up
Simple Minds - Colours Fly and Catherine Wheel
Stan Ridgeway - The Big Heat
Stray Cats - You Can't Hurry Love
Talking Heads - Dream Operator
Talking Heads - No Compassion
Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
Tenpole Tudor - Swords of a Thousand Men
The Challengers - K-39
The Cult - Sweet Soul Sister
The Modern Lovers - Roadrunner
The Origin - November Days
The Police - Deathwish
The Records - Faces at the Window
The Records - Starry Eyes
Thomas Dolby - The Wreck of the Fairchild
Toto - Africa
Toto - Hold the Line
Yes - I've Seen All Good People

il Padrino Ute 04-16-2008 08:42 PM

That's a great list of songs, KT.

Kilgore Trout 04-16-2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 209773)
That's a great list of songs, KT.

Why thank you iPU. You obviously have highly refined musical tastes.

I have about 3000 songs in my "Workout" collection. I add to the list as I hear or think of songs I like. Sometimes upon listening something just doesn't click for cardio and I delete it. The above is a somewhat random sample. It's a little odd that two Toto songs made that small sample. I'm not that big of a Toto fan.

I've got a range of eras, styles and tempos represented, heavily weighted to the stuff I liked in high school and college. It works for me. Knowing I've got some hand-picked tunes to listen to helps keep me motivated.

il Padrino Ute 04-16-2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout (Post 209819)
Why thank you iPU. You obviously have highly refined musical tastes.

I have about 3000 songs in my "Workout" collection. I add to the list as I hear or think of songs I like. Sometimes upon listening something just doesn't click for cardio and I delete it. The above is a somewhat random sample. It's a little odd that two Toto songs made that small sample. I'm not that big of a Toto fan.

I've got a range of eras, styles and tempos represented, heavily weighted to the stuff I liked in high school and college. It works for me. Knowing I've got some hand-picked tunes to listen to helps keep me motivated.

If it's available, you should download Face the Day by The Angels. I think Great White covered it. If I was a runner , I'd listen to it. The Angels were one of the harder edged rock bands from Australia back in the late 70s - early 80s. A link to the song on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndq5Ed-zMsI

For the record, most of the stuff on your list that I prefer would be considered a part of the New Wave genre.

Kilgore Trout 04-16-2008 11:34 PM

The only Angels song I know is "Marseilles" which I like quite a lot and is in my workout list. I haven't dug into the rest of their material. Thanks for the suggestion.

il Padrino Ute 04-17-2008 02:43 AM

Any time, friend. I'm all about good music.

And yes, Marseilles is a great song.

Sea Chicken 04-17-2008 03:05 PM

This morning it was 30 degrees and snowing when I went out for my run, so I thought that maybe an island playlist might help. Cecilio & Kapono, Kapena, Isreal K., Buffet, Marley, etc.

It didn't work. I still froze. And when California Dreaming came on I just got pissed off. I'm ready to go home to Idaho where it's warm. :cool:

Coach McGuirk 04-18-2008 05:34 PM

This wont be for everyone, but yesterday when I was running it came through my playlist and I remembered how well I run to this song.

The Faint "Your Retro Career Melted"

TheSizzle36 04-18-2008 11:53 PM

My favorite songs to run to:

Hip Hop
Tipsy by J-Kwon
Party Up by DMX
Hit Em Up by Tupac
Move by Ludacris
Let's Go by Trick Daddy
Kryptonite by Purple Ribbon All Stars
If I Can't by 50 Cent
Lose Yourself by Eminem
Just A Lil Bit by 50 Cent
Shake That Ass by Eminem
Big Pimpin by Jay-Z
Dirt Off Your Shoulder by Jay-Z

Non-Hip Hop
Remember the Name by Fort Minor
Monkey Wrnech by Foo Fighters
Scotty Doesn't Know by Lustra
Feels So Good by 311
Killing in the Name of by Rage Against the Machine
Down With the Sickness by Disturbed
Let The Bodies Hit the Floor by Drowning Pool
Fuel by Metallica
I'm Sorry That I Got Fat by Wesley Willis
Feel Good Inc by Gorillaz
Black Betty by Spider Bait

Zulu451 04-25-2008 12:18 PM

Quote:

If you are serious about beats, have you tried electronica? Or do you like to have lyrics? I love listening to electronica if I am on the eliptical. You may enjoy running or doing treadmills to electronica specifically due to the dearth of lyrics.

I am sure you have heard of Okenfold. His discs are pretty easy to find in most record shops.

Some of my favorites right now include Chicane, Paul van Dyk, Above and Beyond, and classic staples like kruder & dorfmeister, Tiesto, and BT.

If you dig electronica, the best our there is the podcast "Podrunner", this is a free download about an hour long that is put out each week. The guy has the number one podcast on iTunes. Great stuff.

bigpiney 05-16-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by witweew (Post 222075)
....yeah -- i agree, people are basically getting sick of the

same old rock/hip-hop/r&b bullsh*t..:-D...

and there is just this big upsurge from a new style

coming out of Europe -- best place i've found it so
:???:
far is a compilation series called 'euro club hits' on itunes

-- or check this link::eek:

http://www.futurelectrohouse.com/tracks

That sounds really interesting. Do you have some sort of newsletter I can subscribe to? Please keep us up to date.

MikeWaters 05-16-2008 11:07 PM

actually, it is now much easier for me to ban users. I just click on the post and say "delete as spam".

bigpiney 05-17-2008 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 222130)
actually, it is now much easier for me to ban users. I just click on the post and say "delete as spam".

That's good. I find it amazing how many times they keep showing up.