cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   5K challenge update (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10939)

bluegoose 08-16-2007 08:10 PM

5K challenge update

It looks like Steelblue's 23:20 may just hold up. Two weeks to go and nobody is near him.

Don't tell runner coug, but I'm slowly sneaking up on him and am now just 6 seconds out of 2nd place.:cool:

Runner Coug 08-16-2007 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 113484)
Don't tell runner coug, but I'm slowly sneaking up on him and am now just 6 seconds out of 2nd place.:cool:

I'm sorry to say, I'm not going to put up much of a fight. But in my defense, I would like to point out the following:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...4&postcount=82

SteelBlue 08-16-2007 08:48 PM

I am going to beat my time this weekend. Or I will suffer a stroke trying.

Runner Coug 08-17-2007 03:57 PM

Well, I took one more stab at it. Steelblue, you are the man. I did improve 17 seconds over the last one, though.

I've been wondering... if I were to give El Jefe a generous donation, would he let me change my name again? I'd like something that more accurately describes me, something along the lines of "Slow Wuss".

Archaea 08-17-2007 04:01 PM

well my physician won't let me run now and my times were on Garmins not Nike, so it sucks to be me.

ewth8tr 08-17-2007 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 113637)
well my physician won't let me run now and my times were on Garmins not Nike, so it sucks to be me.

that sucks man, how long of a recovery are you looking at?

Archaea 08-17-2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewth8tr (Post 113709)
that sucks man, how long of a recovery are you looking at?

Four to six weeks if I don't need surgery. I get to sit on the stationary recumbent bike like a fat ass. No racing, no nothing. No swimming, no running but walking is allowed. Geeze, I can't even get my heart rate up.

On the stationary after reaching almost maximum capacity of the bike, my heart rate was only 150. Barely enough to get a good sweat. Worse yet, how much will I lose?

bluegoose 08-17-2007 07:25 PM

Arch, did you ever say if it was a shoulder dislocation or a separation? There is a difference and the rehab/healing times are much different.

Archaea 08-17-2007 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 113717)
Arch, did you ever say if it was a shoulder dislocation or a separation? There is a difference and the rehab/healing times are much different.

Class 2 bordering on Class 3. I don't know what that means. It hurts even now.

SteelBlue 08-20-2007 12:44 AM

Well, I think my 23:20 will be my best time for a little while. I was going to go for a faster one on Saturday, but my legs are hurting so bad I just did a slow 6 miles instead. Lately after a run I feel like I've jumped off of a 3 story building. I think I need to take a week off.

ewth8tr 08-20-2007 12:59 AM

I'm not sure how much I'll be able to improve on my time, but I've been going the long slow route for the last month trying to get my miles up for the CB Challenge and we have a bye week this week, so I am going to work on my speed.

ewth8tr 08-21-2007 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewth8tr (Post 113984)
I'm not sure how much I'll be able to improve on my time, but I've been going the long slow route for the last month trying to get my miles up for the CB Challenge and we have a bye week this week, so I am going to work on my speed.

still not very fast, but I just knocked another minute off my time to get me down to 26:43.

SteelBlue 08-21-2007 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewth8tr (Post 115094)
still not very fast, but I just knocked another minute off my time to get me down to 26:43.

Nice. That's about 3 minutes now isn't it? Very impressive for a couple of months training.

bluegoose 08-22-2007 12:09 AM

Heads up fellas. I have it on good word that a ringer from CG is getting ready to apply for admittance into the 5K challenge. With only a week to go, nonetheless. I think my bronze medal is quickly slipping out of my grasp.

ewth8tr 08-22-2007 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 115124)
Nice. That's about 3 minutes now isn't it? Very impressive for a couple of months training.

Yeah, I just looked it up and my first 5K run in the challenge was 29:33. I had never in my life run a full mile before I started running in April and my first full 5K I did was 34:15 on 5/18.

Runner Coug 08-23-2007 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 115129)
Heads up fellas. I have it on good word that a ringer from CG is getting ready to apply for admittance into the 5K challenge.

I'm too tired and sore to care. :p

SteelBlue 08-23-2007 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 115129)
Heads up fellas. I have it on good word that a ringer from CG is getting ready to apply for admittance into the 5K challenge. With only a week to go, nonetheless. I think my bronze medal is quickly slipping out of my grasp.

Crap. Is Archaea going to run it in a sling and crush my time?

bluegoose 08-27-2007 05:08 PM

Well I gave it the old college try this morning and turned in a 23:42. I didn't have a whole lot left at the end, which was frustrating seeing SteelBlue within reach with a mile to go and not being able to do a darn thing about it.

I may try again on a different course later in the week, but I think Steel may go wire to wire on this challenge.

Any ideas for a new CG challenge?

ewth8tr 08-27-2007 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 117459)
Well I gave it the old college try this morning and turned in a 23:42. I didn't have a whole lot left at the end, which was frustrating seeing SteelBlue within reach with a mile to go and not being able to do a darn thing about it.

I may try again on a different course later in the week, but I think Steel may go wire to wire on this challenge.

Any ideas for a new CG challenge?

I say we do some sort of distance challenge this time, at least that is something I might be able to compete in :)

Archaea 08-27-2007 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewth8tr (Post 117475)
I say we do some sort of distance challenge this time, at least that is something I might be able to compete in :)

I'd like not to have to use a Nike as I object to all things Nike. Go with Garmin times.

ewth8tr 08-27-2007 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 117558)
I'd like not to have to use a Nike as I object to all things Nike. Go with Garmin times.

sorry, there is no way to use garmin for the nike plus challenges.

Archaea 08-27-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewth8tr (Post 117583)
sorry, there is no way to use garmin for the nike plus challenges.

Can we have a Garmin challenge? Since nothing other than pride exists, we can trust each other to be honest.

ewth8tr 08-27-2007 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 117645)
Can we have a Garmin challenge? Since nothing other than pride exists, we can trust each other to be honest.

I'd have no problem with that, should we just use a thread here to keep track? someone want to setup a blog or something for it instead?

SteelBlue 08-27-2007 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewth8tr (Post 117655)
I'd have no problem with that, should we just use a thread here to keep track? someone want to setup a blog or something for it instead?

Shane is the master of the running blog. Maybe he'll do it.

bigpiney 08-28-2007 06:59 PM

My ipod is here, my nike kit is on the way and will be delivered either thursday or friday.

Don't close those polls till 11:59 cause I am going to be bringing it.

ewth8tr 08-28-2007 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpiney (Post 118131)
My ipod is here, my nike kit is on the way and will be delivered either thursday or friday.

hehe, SteelBlue better hope the UPS guy gets lost :)

SteelBlue 08-28-2007 07:14 PM

Nike closes the contest at midnight Eastern time I think. I'm going to start a new one as soon as it expires though, it's been fun watching us all get faster.

ewth8tr 08-28-2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 118143)
Nike closes the contest at midnight Eastern time I think. I'm going to start a new one as soon as it expires though, it's been fun watching us all get faster.

I bought the increase your speed 2 nike mix that I used for the first time yesterday. I was pretty sore afterwards, but hopefully it will help. :)

bluegoose 08-28-2007 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 118143)
it's been fun watching us all get faster.

What I think you meant to say was "Its been fun watching us all get faster, so long as you all remain comfortably in 2nd, 3rd or 4th place in our challenge."

:)
I've really enjoyed this challenge. It adds more purpose to my runs. I think I've got one more hard run in me by friday, but I don't think it will be enough to pass you up. I'm going to try an out and back route this time, probably the river trail. Isn't that where you did your 23:20?

bluegoose 08-28-2007 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewth8tr (Post 118158)
I bought the increase your speed 2 nike mix that I used for the first time yesterday. I was pretty sore afterwards, but hopefully it will help. :)

I have rarely used my power song (Breaking the Habit, Linkin Park), mainly because I forget that its there. But last week I hit it toward the end of my run and finished off with a 6:53 mile. Bummer that the Nike Zoom challenge only takes the first mile of your run. That was a lot of suffering to have no record of it.

Runner Coug 08-28-2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpiney (Post 118131)

Dang...guess I won't be getting that bronze medal afterall.

SteelBlue 08-28-2007 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 118163)
What I think you meant to say was "Its been fun watching us all get faster, so long as you all remain comfortably in 2nd, 3rd or 4th place in our challenge."

:)
I've really enjoyed this challenge. It adds more purpose to my runs. I think I've got one more hard run in me by friday, but I don't think it will be enough to pass you up. I'm going to try an out and back route this time, probably the river trail. Isn't that where you did your 23:20?

Yeah, that's where I ran my 23:20. I'd like to take one more shot at it, but I've been so damned sore. But I have more than a sneaking suspicion that 23:20 isn't going to be enough for even second place with you lurking. I think I'm going to have to beat it. Damn you goose and piney!

SteelBlue 08-30-2007 07:08 PM

Hey Piney, make sure to get me your nike screen name so I can add you to our challenge. Is it going to be the same as your cg name?

bigpiney 08-30-2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 118981)
Hey Piney, make sure to get me your nike screen name so I can add you to our challenge. Is it going to be the same as your cg name?

Should be. It is on the fed ex truck and will be at home when I get there. i'll let you know as soon as I set it up.

fuegote 08-31-2007 04:45 PM

I tried getting one under 30 minutes this morning... Made it half way. I suck.

bluegoose 08-31-2007 04:50 PM

I tried one last time this morning and got the exact same time as my previous best. So I guess SteelBlue is the man, unless Big Piney plays the spoiler with a last minute scorcher.

Do we have another 5K challenge set up yet?

bigpiney 08-31-2007 07:01 PM

I am all set up and ready to go. Gonna run after work.

Shoud I do the calibration or just assume that it can figure it out close enoug?

SteelBlue 08-31-2007 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpiney (Post 119453)
I am all set up and ready to go. Gonna run after work.

Shoud I do the calibration or just assume that it can figure it out close enoug?

The calibration makes a significant difference for me. I don't know if others have had the same experience. BTW, you're added to the challenge but you have to accept it now.

ewth8tr 08-31-2007 07:15 PM

I won't get anywhere close, but I am going to run one last time tonight and try to at least end with a personal best.

bluegoose 08-31-2007 07:26 PM

I didn't calibrate mine and it is pretty dang accurate. I've got a couple of places where I know exactly how far it is and it has always been within about .01 miles of the mark. It pretty amazing really. I assume they use an average steplength most runners use, so as long as you're not freakishly long-legged or a midget you probably fall pretty close to the normal range.