cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Would you rather go to General Conference or the Cannes Film Festival? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11729)

SeattleUte 09-12-2007 06:32 AM

Would you rather go to General Conference or the Cannes Film Festival?

Please vote

Solon 09-12-2007 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 122678)
Please vote

La mer . . . . . qu'on voit danser le long des golfes clairs . . . .

This poll is like choosing between spending the night with a beautiful woman at the Ritz Carlton, and spending the night with Nacho Libre in the back of a pickup truck in Tijuana.

I saw Michael Jackson through a hotel window at the Cannes Film Festival in 1997 (he was in his hotel, waving to the crowd).

Indy Coug 09-12-2007 12:47 PM

Can someone explain to me what the allure of the Cannes Film Festival is? If I'm going to go to the trouble of going to Europe, I'd do something more useful than watching movies with a bunch of underarm pit hair women.

il Padrino Ute 09-12-2007 03:24 PM

I'd rather be in the same room with a prophet of God than in the same room with a bunch of celebrities I don't care about.

Solon 09-12-2007 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 122782)
I'd rather be in the same room with a prophet of God than in the same room with a bunch of celebrities I don't care about.

For me, it's not the celebrities, it's the beach and the sun. I'd spend the day in the sand, maybe pop up to Grasse to beat the heat, and probably stay in Antibes to avoid the crowds. Of course, I'd try to catch a film or two.

Beats the hell out of wearing a tie and listening to church talk.

Tex 09-12-2007 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 122684)
La mer . . . . . qu'on voit danser le long des golfes clairs . . . .

This poll is like choosing between spending the night with a beautiful woman at the Ritz Carlton, and spending the night with Nacho Libre in the back of a pickup truck in Tijuana.

I saw Michael Jackson through a hotel window at the Cannes Film Festival in 1997 (he was in his hotel, waving to the crowd).

LOL. I'm trying to figure out if Gordon Hinckley qualifies as the beautiful woman or Nacho Libre. Either way, it's not good. :)

il Padrino Ute 09-12-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 122800)
For me, it's not the celebrities, it's the beach and the sun. I'd spend the day in the sand, maybe pop up to Grasse to beat the heat, and probably stay in Antibes to avoid the crowds. Of course, I'd try to catch a film or two.

If you want the beach, the north shore of Sicily, just outside the small pituresque town of Cefalù makes the south of France look like a landfill.

Besides, the seats in the conference center are very comfortable and you can sleep like a baby there.

YOhio 09-12-2007 05:50 PM

General Conference. This question is so easy it's not even funny!!!!

myboynoah 09-12-2007 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 122800)

Been there, done that.

There are much better beaches that are a lot less crowded and not in France.

IPU makes a good suggestion. I can think of a lot more.

Solon 09-12-2007 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 122892)
Been there, done that.

There are much better beaches that are a lot less crowded and not in France.

IPU makes a good suggestion. I can think of a lot more.

Hey, I'm not saying France beaches are my favorite. I am saying that it beats sitting in church.

Seriously, I'd rather go to the dentist than go to General Conference.

myboynoah 09-12-2007 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 122918)
Seriously, I'd rather go to the dentist than go to General Conference.

Ouch.

OK, since you're a playing a game my kids love:

root canal, no Novocain, dentist is blind

or

gc?

Solon 09-12-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 122922)
Ouch.

OK, since you're a playing a game my kids love:

root canal, no Novocain, dentist is blind

or

gc?

I'm a wimp; I need the Novocain. As long as I'm numb, I can put up will all types of poking and humiliation. Oh yeah - and it has to be an American (USA - not Canadian or Mexican) dentist.

So, GC is looking better.

And, come to think of it, Salt Lake is beautiful in October and April.

Archaea 09-12-2007 09:30 PM

Antibes is a nice beach, the only sand beach I can think of in France.

GC is so much better on the internet. You can speed read, not have to wait in line, fall asleep because you're too hot, and can actually see it visually. I'm better at written comprehension than listening to oral presentations.

And the south of France does not have the hairy armpits for the most part, it's in the interior farm girls whom you wouldn't look at no matter what.

RockyBalboa 09-12-2007 09:44 PM

I'm likely to see more boobies at Cannes then at GC.

cougjunkie 09-12-2007 11:56 PM

Cannes, because if Johnny Drama can get laid there, anyone can get laid there.

Solon 09-13-2007 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 123044)

Except for this year's Ensign Swimsuit Issue.

ute4ever 09-13-2007 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 123044)

Obviously you've never won the RC Willey hot tub tickets, where you get to sit in the bubbler with the sister missionaries.

RockyBalboa 09-13-2007 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 123114)
Obviously you've never won the RC Willey hot tub tickets, where you get to sit in the bubbler with the sister missionaries.

Which goes to show that beached whales will wash ashore anywhere.

il Padrino Ute 09-13-2007 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 123114)

When I first read this, I thought you posted that "you get to sit in the blubber with the sister missionaries" and wondered what the hell you were talking about.

Then I read Rocky's post and it all made sense.

Detroitdad 09-13-2007 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 123037)
Antibes is a nice beach, the only sand beach I can think of in France.

GC is so much better on the internet. You can speed read, not have to wait in line, fall asleep because you're too hot, and can actually see it visually. I'm better at written comprehension than listening to oral presentations.

And the south of France does not have the hairy armpits for the most part, it's in the interior farm girls whom you wouldn't look at no matter what.

Cannes has got a sandy beach directly behind the conference center where the films are shown. Clearly you can't get good french pastries and french bread in Utah so you have to go with the festival.

YOhio 09-13-2007 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitdad (Post 123135)
Cannes has got a sandy beach directly behind the conference center where the films are shown. Clearly you can't get good french pastries and french bread in Utah so you have to go with the festival.

Albertsons has some great french bread and at a very reasonable price.

Detroitdad 09-13-2007 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 123138)
Albertsons has some great french bread and at a very reasonable price.

It is more than twice the price of french bread in France. Look the trip pays for itself. And you can see tons of nude German octogenarians (notice that I did not limit it to women? That was purposeful.)

DirtyHippieUTE 09-13-2007 05:03 AM

Growing up in Bountiful with an old man who worked for the church I've been to conference more times than I've been to Lagoon (local amusement park for those who are unfamiliar.

Cannes would be killer.

realtall 09-17-2007 01:58 AM

I'm not thrilled with either choice. I've been to GC once. I went with my fhe group my freshman year. There was a looooooong line and those benches that we sat in in the balcony just killed me. The rest of my group sat in the middle of the row but I had to sit on the end with my legs in the aisle because they absolutely would not fit between the benches. Besides, I can watch it at home and/or buy the whole thing on dvd for $12(or thereabouts).

Cannes - Hmmm...I can't say that I would hate the idea of going, if presented with the possibility of a free trip, but I would rather sight see and experience France on my own schedule. But then again, it might be worth it just to see all of the stars there.

il Padrino Ute 09-17-2007 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realtall (Post 124464)
I'm not thrilled with either choice. I've been to GC once. I went with my fhe group my freshman year. There was a looooooong line and those benches that we sat in in the balcony just killed me. The rest of my group sat in the middle of the row but I had to sit on the end with my legs in the aisle because they absolutely would not fit between the benches. Besides, I can watch it at home and/or buy the whole thing on dvd for $12(or thereabouts).

Cannes - Hmmm...I can't say that I would hate the idea of going, if presented with the possibility of a free trip, but I would rather sight see and experience France on my own schedule. But then again, it might be worth it just to see all of the stars there.

No benches in the Conference Center. Nothing but nice, soft chairs.

realtall 09-17-2007 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 124469)
No benches in the Conference Center. Nothing but nice, soft chairs.

Yeah, this was in the Tabernacle. I understand that they moved the benches further apart when they did the remodel.