cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Best Beatles Song? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12131)

Archaea 09-25-2007 05:05 PM

Best Beatles Song?

I can't decide upon one, so I picked several:

I Saw Her Standing There
She Loves You
I Want to Hold Your Hand
And I Love Her
Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
We Can Work It Out
Nowhere Man
Eleanor Rigby
Strawberry Fields Forever
Hey Jude
Back in the USSR
I Will
Come Together
Here Comes the Sun

cougjunkie 09-25-2007 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 127632)

I Saw Her Standing There
She Loves You
I Want to Hold Your Hand
And I Love Her
We Can Work It Out
Nowhere Man
Eleanor Rigby
Hey Jude
Back in the USSR
I Will
Come Together
Here Comes the Sun

My favorite is Come Together, but i am not a big Beatles fan, so i may not have heard all of them.

Cali Coug 09-25-2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 127632)

I Saw Her Standing There
She Loves You
I Want to Hold Your Hand
And I Love Her
We Can Work It Out
Nowhere Man
Eleanor Rigby
Hey Jude
Back in the USSR
I Will
Come Together
Here Comes the Sun

My favorite band of all time. Best song is hard- depends on the mood.

Helter Skelter, A Day in the Life, The Long and Winding Road, Yesterday, Hey Jude, Across the Universe, Elanor Rigby, Strawberry Fields, Here Comes the Sun, Norwegian Wood...

mpfunk 09-25-2007 05:50 PM

All their songs suck, so I don't think it is necessary to state which one sucks the least.

Black Diamond Bay 09-25-2007 06:09 PM

It comes as no surprise to me that funk has no appreciation for quality music. I think these are my favorites in no particular order:

Got to get you into my life
Here, There, and Everywhere
Eleanor Rigby
I want to hold your hand
Things we said today
I'm looking through you
Yesterday
All My loving
Here comes the sun
While my guitar gently weeps
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
When I'm sixty-four
Octopus' garden
I saw her standing there
P.S. I love you
I'll follow the sun
I've just seen a face

I don't know how I would ever pick a favorite out of that.

Archaea 09-25-2007 06:22 PM

Does anybody else like "I Will"?

mpfunk 09-25-2007 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay (Post 127670)
It comes as no surprise to me that funk has no appreciation for quality music. I think these are my favorites in no particular order:

Got to get you into my life
Here, There, and Everywhere
Eleanor Rigby
I want to hold your hand
Things we said today
I'm looking through you
Yesterday
All My loving
Here comes the sun
While my guitar gently weeps
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
When I'm sixty-four
Octopus' garden
I saw her standing there
P.S. I love you
I'll follow the sun
I've just seen a face

I don't know how I would ever pick a favorite out of that.

I have great appreciation for high quality music, this is why I hate the Beatles.

Give me a John Coltrane, Sun Ra, Ornette Coleman, Miles Davis over the Beatles anyday. If I want to listen to rock I can also find several better options than the Beatles, a little soul in music is always a good thing and the Beatles have no soul

The only good thing that has come from the Beatles is some jazz musicians have done arrangements of their music.

mpfunk 09-25-2007 06:44 PM

Oh and since you mentioned While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Here is a guy who is a great musician tearing it up. Prince is highly underrated. So I guess when a good musician gets a hold of a Beatles song I guess it can be good. It is at the 3:30 mark where Prince actually makes this song good.

Black Diamond Bay 09-25-2007 06:51 PM

Well that confirms my original assessment.

mpfunk 09-25-2007 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay (Post 127691)
Well that confirms my original assessment.

I pity you. Maybe at some point you can learn to like some real music, instead of enjoying all the crap that you are told you are supposed to like.

I once again give another great example of good music for you. Eddie Hazel one of the best on guitar out there, performing what is one of the best guitar solos you will ever find.

This was a great find, and a really good performance of Maggot Brain. Luckily it also has Michael Hampton too. But of course since no one has told you a thousand times how great Eddie Hazel is (and well he is not just an imitator like the Beatles) you will never really like it.

To quote Mos Def
"Elvis Presley ain't got no soul"

Venkman 09-25-2007 07:12 PM

I'm not a big Beatles fan, but I do like Here Comes the Sun

Sleeping in EQ 09-25-2007 07:33 PM

"Something" is one of my very favorites.

Archaea 09-25-2007 07:36 PM

Funk you're overplaying your card. Beatles may not be your favorite artist, but to deny their artistic ingenuity is to play it too hard. The fact that other artists can use their works and make them sound great should show they have a solid musical base. Now I agree with John Coltrane as being very important, and I'm a musical idiot, not a well-trained musician a la creekster.

Beatles have forever influenced modern pop culture and music. However, they were immensely more talented than they average pop musician today, a la Britney Spears. They didn't have the vocal range of Mariah Carey.

Requiem 09-25-2007 08:13 PM

Let It Be is one of my favorites. And Arch is right - the Beatles continue to exert a huge musical influence.

Black Diamond Bay 09-25-2007 08:38 PM

Funk, get a clue. I can't even see those videos, I'm at work and they're blocked. I just like to irritate you and then sit back and watch the fireworks. I'd think you would have figured that out by now.

You have really discredited your own musical intellect with that last post.

UtahDan 09-25-2007 09:29 PM

I'm surprised no one said "In My Life."

Sleeping in EQ 09-25-2007 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 127814)
I'm surprised no one said "In My Life."

That's a good one too.

Archaea 09-25-2007 09:44 PM

Lyrics to "I Will". Sentimental I know.

"
Quote:

Who knows how long I've loved you
You know I love you still
Will I wait a lonely lifetime
If you want me to--I will.

For if I ever saw you
I didn't catch your name
But it never really mattered
I will always feel the same.

Love you forever and forever
Love you with all my heart
Love you whenever we're together
Love you when we're apart.

And when at last I find you
Your song will fill the air
Sing it loud so I can hear you
Make it easy to be near you
For the things you do endear you me to
You know I will
I will.

Requiem 09-25-2007 09:55 PM

Perhaps the AZ SP would have benefited from the Let It Be lyrics:

Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree,
there will be an answer, let it be.
For though they may be parted there is still a chance that they will see,
there will be an answer. let it be.

Archaea 09-25-2007 10:15 PM

Speaking of interesting lyrics, Rush has some fascinating ones:

I was looking Rush's Tears lyrics:

Quote:

All of the seasons and all of the days
All of the reasons why I've felt this way
So long...
So long

Then lost in that feeling I looked in your eyes
I noticed emotion and that you had cried
For me
I can see

What would touch me deeper...
Tears that fall from eyes that only cry?
Would it touch you deeper
Than tears that fall from eyes that know why?

A lifetime of questions, tears on your cheek
I tasted the answers and my body was weak
For you
The truth

What would touch me deeper...
Tears that fall from eyes that only cry?
Would it touch you deeper
Than tears that fall from eyes that know why?

ute4ever 09-25-2007 11:08 PM

In terms of the Billboard chart, "Hey Jude" was their biggest hit.

Frank Sinatra called "Something" the greatest love song ever written.

SoCalCoug 09-25-2007 11:54 PM

No question - "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

Plus, I agree with MPFunk about Prince being highly underrated - I've watched his solo at the Concert for George many times, and he's amazing. A very underrated guitarist.

Most of his music doesn't fit my taste, but you can't deny that he's the closest thing that pop music of my generation has to a musical genius.

DrumNFeather 09-26-2007 12:15 AM

I don't think anyone has mentioned I am the Walrus yet..but that's a good one...coo coo cachooo!

Other obvious favorites, Across the Universe, Yesterday, Hey Jude, Let it Be.

And for more Beatles fun and hi jinx: Yellow Submarine!

See my post on the Across the Universe Soundtrack...i've found it to be quite good...unless you don't like someone else's take on a Beatles song.

bigpiney 09-26-2007 01:36 AM

Gotta be either "Last train to Clarksville" or "I'm a believer"

both are classics.

non sequitur 09-26-2007 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 127696)
I pity you. Maybe at some point you can learn to like some real music, instead of enjoying all the crap that you are told you are supposed to like.

I once again give another great example of good music for you. Eddie Hazel one of the best on guitar out there, performing what is one of the best guitar solos you will ever find.

This was a great find, and a really good performance of Maggot Brain. Luckily it also has Michael Hampton too. But of course since no one has told you a thousand times how great Eddie Hazel is (and well he is not just an imitator like the Beatles) you will never really like it.

To quote Mos Def

I listened to half of the Eddie Hazel clip until I dozed off. It's crap. Just because something is technically difficult doesn't mean it is entertaining. Hell, if that were that case, juggling would be a lot more popular.

mpfunk 09-26-2007 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non sequitur (Post 127943)
I listened to half of the Eddie Hazel clip until I dozed off. It's crap. Just because something is technically difficult doesn't mean it is entertaining. Hell, if that were that case, juggling would be a lot more popular.

I agree completely just because something is technically difficult doesn't make it good. Eddie Hazel isn't good because he did things that were technically difficult he is good because he was good. Maggot Brain is an amazing track.

Archaea 09-26-2007 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non sequitur (Post 127943)

Hazel is good to musicians who want to sound avant garde. I agree that just being hard doesn't make it entertaining.

If being weird were the only standard, no Bach or Beethoven would be ever be played and we'd beset by concerts of Shopenauer filling us Viennese Second School tonalities.

mpfunk 09-26-2007 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 127952)
Hazel is good to musicians who want to sound avant garde. I agree that just being hard doesn't make it entertaining.

If being weird were the only standard, no Bach or Beethoven would be ever be played and we'd beset by concerts of Shopenauer filling us Viennese Second School tonalities.

Interesting I must have a different standard for avant garde, because I don't find Hazel to be remotely avant garde at all. In fact I would say it is pretty straight forward rock/funk.

I don't think weird is the only standard, but I will admit that I like my jazz as out there as it can get. However, I do also appreciate stuff other than free jazz or avant garde.

If you want weird I present to you John Zorn. Oh and I love Zorn, I think his Masada albums are absolute masterpieces. Long live Klezmer music.

Archaea 09-26-2007 03:46 AM

I'm not musically talented, gifted or knowledgeable. So I can show you what the average village idiot likes.

I like Jethro Tull.

John Coltrane.

Rush.

Pumpkin Tree.

Ozric Tenticles.

Bob Marley.

Duke Ellington.

Led Zeppelin.

Fela Kuta.

Brazilian stuff.

Just ordinary stuff. Of standard classical fare.

creekster 09-26-2007 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 127686)
I have great appreciation for high quality music, this is why I hate the Beatles.

Give me a John Coltrane, Sun Ra, Ornette Coleman, Miles Davis over the Beatles anyday. If I want to listen to rock I can also find several better options than the Beatles, a little soul in music is always a good thing and the Beatles have no soul

The only good thing that has come from the Beatles is some jazz musicians have done arrangements of their music.

TO say you prefer jazz over pop/rock is fine. To say you think no pop/rock qualifies as "high quality music" is defensible, in a certain internally consistent way, perhaps. But to say that the Beatles suck, as opposed to any other pop/rock is rather silly. They are the epitome of pop/rock.

I love jazz. But the beatles are great. The bridged the worlds of the big bopper and mozart. They fused styles of music and contributed to social changes that resulted in ideas we are still arguing about even here int he world of CG. You are a bright guy so I conclude you must be trolling.

creekster 09-26-2007 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 127687)
Oh and since you mentioned While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Here is a guy who is a great musician tearing it up. Prince is highly underrated. So I guess when a good musician gets a hold of a Beatles song I guess it can be good. It is at the 3:30 mark where Prince actually makes this song good.

Prince is perhaps underrated as a guitar player, but not by much. He did nothing in this clip that was remarkable. The only difference between him and the guy that was playing lead before him is his overdriven amp and that natty hat.

Also, as an aside, Tom petty is one homely human.

creekster 09-26-2007 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 127696)

To quote Mos Def

What is the point here? Who is claiming, or has ever claimed, that any of the beatles was a great guitarist? You are arguning with someone, it seems, but not with anyone here, as far as I can tell. None of the beqatles were virtuosos. They were instead creative, incredibly adventurous and, with George Martin (and some help from Billy preston and others) the creators of perhaps the most impressive catalog of pop ever made.

creekster 09-26-2007 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ (Post 127726)
"Something" is one of my very favorites.

Lots of love for Geogre Harrison here, which is a little surprising to me. SOmething, Guitar gently weeps, here comes the sun, all Harrison stuff.

Good for the dead guy.

Ironically, apart from the comical but never taken seriously Ringo, Paul may end up being the least loved and admired Beatle priamrily becasue he hasn't died.

RC Vikings 09-26-2007 06:28 AM

I wouldn't call any of these songs great but put together I love the B side (for you younger guys the second half) of Abbey Road.

creekster 09-26-2007 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 128026)
I wouldn't call any of these songs great but put together I love the B side (for you younger guys the second half) of Abbey Road.

I have always had a soft spot for Mean Mr. Mustard, for some reason.

creekster 09-26-2007 06:30 AM

As tot he original question, btw, I don't think it canbe asnwered, at least not by me. If I had to pick a single one, it would probably be . . . no, sorry, I just can't do it.

DrumNFeather 09-26-2007 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 128025)
Lots of love for Geogre Harrison here, which is a little surprising to me. SOmething, Guitar gently weeps, here comes the sun, all Harrison stuff.

Good for the dead guy.

Ironically, apart from the comical but never taken seriously Ringo, Paul may end up being the least loved and admired Beatle priamrily becasue he hasn't died.

Let's not forget, "I've Got my Mind Set on You." A good song, and cool music video...back when there still were cool music videos.

RC Vikings 09-26-2007 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 128032)
Let's not forget, "I've Got my Mind Set on You." A good song, and cool music video...back when there still were cool music videos.

I enjoyed some of the Traveling Wilburys stuff when Harrison would sing but didn't think much of the other stuff.

Archaea 09-26-2007 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 128028)
As tot he original question, btw, I don't think it canbe asnwered, at least not by me. If I had to pick a single one, it would probably be . . . no, sorry, I just can't do it.

You notice I named about a dozen. I doubt where we ever see another group to produce so many songs worthy of remembering.

creekster 09-26-2007 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 128032)

DIdn't Jeff Lynne get credit for co-writing that song? IF not, he certainly had his musical and porduction fingerprints all over it. Don't misinderstand, I liked it, but it was as much Lynne as Harrison, I think.