cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Who is your favorite (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13225)

YOhio 10-25-2007 05:07 PM

Who is your favorite

mediocre band? I think you can tell as much a person from the crappy music they listen to as you can from the good music they listen to.

As for me, I would say my favorite mediocre bands are:
Violent Femmes
The Darkness
Crash Test Dummies
Guster
Rollins Band
Bloodhound Gang

TripletDaddy 10-25-2007 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 141596)
mediocre band? I think you can tell as much a person from the crappy music they listen to as you can from the good music they listen to.

Violent Femmes
The Darkness
Crash Test Dummies
Guster
Rollins Band
Bloodhound Gang

I agree. All of those bands are terrible.

Except the Violent Femmes, who became terrible after "Why Do Birds Sing?" Prior to that, they are excellent and some of the true american indy pioneers, signing with Slash records just to prove a point.

Henry Rollins was awesome in his Black Flag days. Black Flag is still worth checking out if you are into the american punk movement.

Crash Test Dummies? Yikes. "Afternoons and Coffee Spoons! And TS Elliot!....."

Someone recommended Guster to me. I listened to 2 songs and never listened to that band again.

marsupial 10-25-2007 06:42 PM

Quote:

Bloodhound Gang

Are they the ones that sang, "I'm not black like Barry White no I am white like Frank Black is?" If so, they are only good for that one line.

YOhio 10-25-2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 141650)
Are they the ones that sang, "I'm not black like Barry White no I am white like Frank Black is?" If so, they are only good for that one line.

Correct.

jay santos 10-25-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Violent Femmes
The Darkness
Crash Test Dummies
Guster
Rollins Band
Bloodhound Gang

My favorite genre is probably alt/gay 80's. From that my fav bands that would be considered mediocre or worse would be Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, OMD.

From the classic rock genre my fav medicore band would be REO Speedwagon.

TripletDaddy 10-25-2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 141650)

What about "You and me baby aint nothing but mammals so lets do it like they do on the discovery channel?" That was a stroke of genius, too.

Black Francis, on the other hand...true genius. The Pixies rule.

Indy Coug 10-25-2007 07:11 PM

How do you know if a band is mediocre?

TripletDaddy 10-25-2007 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 141666)
How do you know if a band is mediocre?

Ask me. I can tell you.

woot 10-25-2007 07:16 PM

I enjoy Evanescence a bit, and Metallica still has a place in my heart despite having turned out to be quite mediocre the last decade or so.

MikeWaters 10-25-2007 07:22 PM

U2.

il Padrino Ute 10-25-2007 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 141671)
I enjoy Evanescence a bit, and Metallica still has a place in my heart despite having turned out to be quite mediocre the last decade or so.

Evanescence is the favorite band of my 14 year old daughter. I guess I'm too old to appreciate that band.

TripletDaddy 10-25-2007 07:29 PM

We need to not discuss music on this board. It is depressing. Let's stick to religion, politics, sports, and humanities.

il Padrino Ute 10-25-2007 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 141685)
We need to not discuss music on this board. It is depressing. Let's stick to religion, politics, sports, and humanities.

Is it depressing because music just ain't what it used to be and each new band is worse than the previous?

YOhio 10-25-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 141687)
Is it depressing because music just ain't what it used to be and each new band is worse than the previous?

I think it's depressing because TD realizes how insufficient his music knowledge is to carry on a decent conversation.

TripletDaddy 10-25-2007 07:40 PM

No, it is depressing because it appears that nobody else here spends time following music. Most of the music references I have read so far have been examples of spoon-fed top 40 MTV type stuff. How uninteresting. For example, even though I hate country, it would be interesting to hear from someone who knows the genre really well and can recommend artists beyond Garth Brooks or Johnny Cash.

There is nothing wrong with liking popular music, per se, but it is a lazy approach. There is much better out there than what the radio tells you.

That being said, there are some diverse hobbies here....politics, classicisim, humanities, religious studies......one of my hobbies just happens to be music.

il Padrino Ute 10-25-2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 141689)
I think it's depressing because TD realizes how insufficient his music knowledge is to carry on a decent conversation.

No direspect to Triple is intended, but that was funny. :D

TripletDaddy 10-25-2007 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 141689)

Insufficient knowledge? I thought you liked dummies?

http://a5.vox.com/6a00d4142121106a47...88cd3c7f-500pi

marsupial 10-25-2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 141665)
Black Francis, on the other hand...true genius. The Pixies rule.

They are my favorite band ever.

YOhio 10-25-2007 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 141699)
No, it is depressing because it appears that nobody else here spends time following music.

I think you'd be surprised.

il Padrino Ute 10-25-2007 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 141699)
No, it is depressing because it appears that nobody else here spends time following music. Most of the music references I have read so far have been examples of spoon-fed top 40 MTV type stuff. How uninteresting. For example, even though I hate country, it would be interesting to hear from someone who knows the genre really well and can recommend artists beyond Garth Brooks or Johnny Cash.

There is nothing wrong with liking popular music, per se, but it is a lazy approach. There is much better out there than what the radio tells you.

That being said, there are some diverse hobbies here....politics, classicisim, humanities, religious studies......one of my hobbies just happens to be music.

My favorite bands are what would be considered the original New Wave bands, though many of them really aren't what I would say is New Wave, but only got put in that category because they're not the lousy Top 40 crap of that time - such as Echo and the Bunnymen, The Rave Ups, Oingo Boingo, etc.

TripletDaddy 10-25-2007 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 141704)
They are my favorite band ever.

Serious? Did you catch their reunion tour a couple years back? I saw them with The Thrills and The Mars Volta right here in OC.

It was a great show. played all the classics, "Wave of Mutilation," "Caribou," "Where is My Mind," "here comes your man," "monkey gone to heaven," and even their cover of "Head on."

For awhile, their was a HD channel called INHD that was showing their Boston homecoming gig in its entirety.

TripletDaddy 10-25-2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 141706)
I think you'd be surprised.

I saw your Arcade Fire post. Settle down.

And it is a cool clip, btw.

Have you seen them live?

TripletDaddy 10-25-2007 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 141711)
My favorite bands are what would be considered the original New Wave bands, though many of them really aren't what I would say is New Wave, but only got put in that category because they're not the lousy Top 40 crap of that time - such as Echo and the Bunnymen, The Rave Ups, Oingo Boingo, etc.

I love those bands.

Echo just played here at the HOB for the second time in a few years. great shows. They played here when I was in high school with New Order and Gene Loves Jezebel. new order was touring for Substance and EATB had released their self titled disc (the one with Lips Like Sugar and Bedbugs and Ballyhoo).

Oingo Boingo is one of my all time faves. I think Danny Elfman is a genius. My first concert ever...my brother took me to see them at the Greek Theater for the Good For your Soul tour. Did you see their farewell visit to the Delta Center? I was in Utah, so could not make it to any of the LA shows. But did catch them once for halloween at the palladium. I love going to shows.

YOhio 10-25-2007 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 141714)
I saw your Arcade Fire post. Settle down.

And it is a cool clip, btw.

Have you seen them live?

Nah. I gave up shows a while ago.

il Padrino Ute 10-25-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 141720)
I love those bands.

Echo just played here at the HOB for the second time in a few years. great shows. They played here when I was in high school with New Order and Gene Loves Jezebel. new order was touring for Substance and EATB had released their self titled disc (the one with Lips Like Sugar and Bedbugs and Ballyhoo).

Oingo Boingo is one of my all time faves. I think Danny Elfman is a genius. My first concert ever...my brother took me to see them at the Greek Theater for the Good For your Soul tour. Did you see their farewell visit to the Delta Center? I was in Utah, so could not make it to any of the LA shows. But did catch them once for halloween at the palladium. I love going to shows.

I was at the show in SLC for the farewell tour. It was the best show they ever did in SLC - about 4 1/2 hours long and they even did an acoustic set. I've actually seen Oingo Boingo 22 times - 17 in SLC 2 in NYC and 3 in LA. Agreed about Elfman being a genius.

I saw the same EATB/Gene Loves Jezebal/New Order show that you saw, but at what was then known as Park West (now The Canyons). Great times and the only time I'm aware of that Ian McCulloch and the boys were ever in SLC.

RockyBalboa 10-25-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 141726)
I was at the show in SLC for the farewell tour. It was the best show they ever did in SLC - about 4 1/2 hours long and they even did an acoustic set. I've actually seen Oingo Boingo 22 times - 17 in SLC 2 in NYC and 3 in LA. Agreed about Elfman being a genius.

I saw the same EATB/Gene Loves Jezebal/New Order show that you saw, but at what was then known as Park West (now The Canyons). Great times and the only time I'm aware of that Ian McCulloch and the boys were ever in SLC.

I was at that last show as wel here in SLC,,,and I thought it was never going to end.

Indy Coug 10-25-2007 08:06 PM

Mike & The Mechanics, Toto, Hoobastank, Creed, Earth Wind & Fire

marsupial 10-25-2007 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 141713)
Serious? Did you catch their reunion tour a couple years back? I saw them with The Thrills and The Mars Volta right here in OC.

It was a great show. played all the classics, "Wave of Mutilation," "Caribou," "Where is My Mind," "here comes your man," "monkey gone to heaven," and even their cover of "Head on."

For awhile, their was a HD channel called INHD that was showing their Boston homecoming gig in its entirety.

Sadly, I have never seen them live. The closest I have come was seeing Kim Deal with the Breeders.

il Padrino Ute 10-25-2007 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 141733)
I was at that last show as wel here in SLC,,,and I thought it was never going to end.

To be honest, I was hoping it would have lasted longer, but there really wasn't much more for them to do by the end. Good times wasn't it?

TripletDaddy 10-25-2007 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 141737)
Sadly, I have never seen them live. The closest I have come was seeing Kim Deal with the Breeders.

Did you see the Breeders when they opened for Nirvana in Utah?

marsupial 10-25-2007 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 141748)
Did you see the Breeders when they opened for Nirvana in Utah?

No, that would have been cool. I saw them at Lollapalooza in California.

TripletDaddy 10-25-2007 08:18 PM

Quote:

You have seen then much more than I. I saw them about 7 or 8 times only. One New Years eve show, one halloween show, and their farewell in SLC. I do remember the set....it was a great gig. I have definitely seen then at least for every album tour since Good For Your Soul.

The Echo show in LA was at the Forum, if I recall correctly. I saw Ian solo live and he opened with Ceremony (new order), which I thought was cool.

Their latest round of shows in Anaheim were a great setlist of oldies, too. I will have to dig it up and post it for you.

TripletDaddy 10-25-2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 141736)
Mike & The Mechanics, Toto, Hoobastank, Creed, Earth Wind & Fire

*crickets*

*tumbleweed rolls down the street*

TripletDaddy 10-25-2007 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 141752)
No, that would have been cool. I saw them at Lollapalooza in California.

have you made it to Coachella down here in Indio? always a fantastic experience. So many great bands. The Pixies actually played Coachella a couple of years ago.

marsupial 10-25-2007 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 141760)
have you made it to Coachella down here in Indio? always a fantastic experience. So many great bands. The Pixies actually played Coachella a couple of years ago.

No, and I haven't been to the Museum of Sex either.

TripletDaddy 10-25-2007 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 141761)
No, and I haven't been to the Museum of Sex either.

Thats not in Indio, though. That is on 5th Avenue.

marsupial 10-25-2007 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 141762)
Thats not in Indio, though. That is on 5th Avenue.

Yes, I think you mentioned that once, maybe twice at the most.

TripletDaddy 10-25-2007 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 141763)
Yes, I think you mentioned that once, maybe twice at the most.

C'est moi?

Are you really in Mississippi? I did some work out in Pascagoula once. Home of Jimmy Buffet.

Solon 10-25-2007 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 141651)
Correct.

Bloodhound Gang has some of the most witty lyrics I've ever heard (e.g.: Crude as oil unrefined but slick / I'm gonna get you from behind like a gay convict ). I'm a big fan.

Plus, their "Boom" song features Vanilla Ice.

I also love the Femmes.

TripletDaddy 10-25-2007 09:14 PM

Quote:

Godfather, you may enjoy this clip of a little known commercial from the 80s. Hilarious and makes no sense all at the same time.