cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Sushi places in Utah (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13582)

Mrs. Funk 11-06-2007 02:30 AM

Sushi places in Utah

So I've tried Sushi YA in Provo, Sushi Express in Sandy, and Happy Sumo in Provo. Happy Sumo was by far the most commercial, but still decent. Sushi YA is far and pretty cheap (decent hand rolls for $5-$6). Anybody have any other places to recommend?

ChinoCoug 11-06-2007 02:52 AM

Yamato(?) in Orem. Good price, good sushi

Mrs. Funk 11-06-2007 03:02 AM

Yeah? Whereabouts is it?

Jeff Lebowski 11-06-2007 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk (Post 146488)
So I've tried Sushi YA in Provo, Sushi Express in Sandy, and Happy Sumo in Provo. Happy Sumo was by far the most commercial, but still decent. Sushi YA is far and pretty cheap (decent hand rolls for $5-$6). Anybody have any other places to recommend?

The wife and I started going to Sushi-ya about six months ago. At the time, the quality was quite good in spite of the non-Japanese (Chinese) chefs. But it has taken a major nose dive in the past two months. The raw fish is now paper thin and they are padding the rolls and the nigiri with absurd amounts of rice to fill you up quickly. It is a damn shame.

There is a place called Azuka near Shopko that has all you can eat for $16, but the quality is not good at all. There are a few OK rolls if you know what to order.

Benihana in SLC has the best all-you-can-eat deal. $26 per person. The chefs are all Japanese; one has worked there for 21 years. Top quality sushi.

If you are ever in Vegas, check out "The Sushi Club" out in Henderson. Archaea goes there every Friday and we are insanely jealous. Excellent quality and variety for only $19 per person.

Mrs. Funk 11-06-2007 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 146498)
The wife and I started going to Sushi-ya about six months ago. At the time, the quality was quite good in spite of the non-Japanese (Chinese) chefs. But it has taken a major nose dive in the past two months. The raw fish is now paper thin and they are padding the rolls and the nigiri with absurd amounts of rice to fill you up quickly. It is a damn shame.

There is a place called Azuka near Shopko that has all you can eat for $16, but the quality is not good at all. There are a few OK rolls if you know what to order.

Benihana in SLC has the best all-you-can-eat deal. $26 per person. The chefs are all Japanese; one has worked there for 21 years. Top quality sushi.

If you are ever in Vegas, check out "The Sushi Club" out in Henderson. Archaea goes there every Friday and we are insanely jealous. Excellent quality and variety for only $19 per person.

What in general is good to order? I tried some of the regular rolls at Sushi-Ya and I was very impressed with the spicy tuna roll. I thought the tuna portions were fairly generous.

Sushi Express is excellent. It's a total dive looking place in a strip mall by a gas station. The fish is fresh and the prices are reasonable (no all-you-can-eat, though). I enjoyed the staff, too, which was mostly Japanese as far as I can tell. The original sushi chef is classically trained.

jay santos 11-06-2007 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 146498)

Any place around here you can get healthy portions of sashimi for decent price? I usually just go for tuna and salmon sashimi. I'm relegated to the fact that I can only get the good stuff when I travel to big city and it's on the company tab.

Jeff Lebowski 11-06-2007 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 146505)
Any place around here you can get healthy portions of sashimi for decent price? I usually just go for tuna and salmon sashimi. I'm relegated to the fact that I can only get the good stuff when I travel to big city and it's on the company tab.

If you are talking about straight up sashimi (no rice), then I don't know. If you count nigiri then up until a month or two ago I would have said Sushi-ya. Now their raw fish is about a millimeter thick. Either that or we just keep going on the wrong nights.

We took our Japanese friends to Sushi-Ya right at the beginning of the poor-quality period. There was a japanese girl waiting the table that night and she told them (in Japanese) "This place really sucks. The sushi is awful. Don't ever go where they don't have a Japanese chef." (Etc.). She didn't know that I speak Japanese, too. It was kind of funny.

The best nigiri for the price (that I know of) is the Benihana sushi bar in SLC. Good variety and big slices.

Mrs. Funk 11-06-2007 03:36 AM

Do you know why Sushi-Ya suddenly turned south? Change in staff?

Jeff Lebowski 11-06-2007 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk (Post 146495)
Yeah? Whereabouts is it?

A couple blocks north of the University Mall in Orem. On state street.

I haven't been there for quite a while. I wasn't terribly impressed but we have some friends that like it. We need to give it another try.

Jeff Lebowski 11-06-2007 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk (Post 146511)
Do you know why Sushi-Ya suddenly turned south? Change in staff?

No, it is the same people. I suspect that they are just trying to squeeze out more profit. Personally, I would rather they raised the prices and maintained the quality.

Mrs. Funk 11-06-2007 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 146515)
No, it is the same people. I suspect that they are just trying to squeeze out more profit. Personally, I would rather they raised the prices and maintained the quality.

Well, yeah, sushi's going to be pricey no matter what. If people wanted to fill up for cheap, that's why Carl's Jr. is down the street. *shudder* I'd rather have good sushi where they don't cut corners.

Jeff Lebowski 11-06-2007 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk (Post 146502)
What in general is good to order? I tried some of the regular rolls at Sushi-Ya and I was very impressed with the spicy tuna roll. I thought the tuna portions were fairly generous.

All of the specialty rolls used to be good. We liked the Jason roll (hand roll).

Quote:

Sushi Express is excellent. It's a total dive looking place in a strip mall by a gas station. The fish is fresh and the prices are reasonable (no all-you-can-eat, though). I enjoyed the staff, too, which was mostly Japanese as far as I can tell. The original sushi chef is classically trained.

Thanks for the tip. I think I have heard of this before. The reviews are all good:

http://utah.citysearch.com/profile/1...i_express.html

Jeff Lebowski 11-06-2007 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk (Post 146518)
Well, yeah, sushi's going to be pricey no matter what. If people wanted to fill up for cheap, that's why Carl's Jr. is down the street. *shudder* I'd rather have good sushi where they don't cut corners.

Amen, Sister.

Mrs. Funk 11-06-2007 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 146519)
Thanks for the tip. I think I have heard of this before. The reviews are all good:]

I really like their rose roll and spider roll; I think I had their tornado roll last time I was there. Pretty much everything I've tried has been good. It's always jam-packed full of Japanese people, so that might be a bit of a testament to its merits.

il Padrino Ute 11-06-2007 03:59 AM

I've never eaten sushi. If I have, I'm not aware of having done so.

What would you sushi eaters recommend for someone like me who believes that raw fish is to be used only for bait?

Mrs. Funk 11-06-2007 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 146528)

What would you sushi eaters recommend for someone like me who believes that raw fish is to be used only for bait?

Tempura rolls aren't a bad way to start. The fish has been fried, so it's cooked and crunchy but still has lots of flavor. For the truly unadventurous, there is always the California roll that has imitation crab in it... not even real fish. ;)

il Padrino Ute 11-06-2007 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk (Post 146529)
Tempura rolls aren't a bad way to start. The fish has been fried, so it's cooked and crunchy but still has lots of flavor. For the truly unadventurous, there is always the California roll that has imitation crab in it... not even real fish. ;)

I've had imitation crab. I much prefer real crab.

I'll have to try your suggestion sometime. I love fish, if it's cooked. Bait, on the other hand....

TripletDaddy 11-06-2007 05:14 AM

Quote:

I always get a kick out of people that love sushi and then start ordering rolls. A california roll! A dragon roll! a spicy tuna roll!

Sushi in a landlocked area....yum.

Surfah 11-06-2007 06:41 AM

Ichiban, Takashi, and Ginza in Salt Lake are all good. I hate Happy Sumo. To me it's an overpriced Demae.

RockyBalboa 11-06-2007 06:48 AM

It all tastes like shit.

FarrahWaters 11-06-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

I actually think the California roll is a good one for a beginner, especially if you can get it with real crab. It's got crunch, a creamy/buttery component, and the crab. Actually, some people have bigger problems getting past the nori wrapping than they do eating the fish.

Mike came close to traumatizing our 3-year old the other day. Our son was showing some interest in the salmon roe sushi that was on the plate. Thinking he might actually try eating it, I picked up on of the fish eggs and gave it to him to exam. He got very exciting, jabbering away, and making the sign for fish. When Mike picked up the sushi and popped it in his mouth, our son let out a bloody scream of horror. I realized too late that he thought Daddy had eaten Nemo, the character from his favorite movie.

Jeff Lebowski 01-07-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

The wife and I drove to Sandy last Saturday and tried this place out. We weren't overly impressed. The salad was straight out of a bag and soggy. And my soda came in a 12-oz. can. Nevertheless, we looked forward to the sushi. It was OK. We have had worse, but we have had better also. In the end, the tab came to $44 plus tip. If I lived in the neighborhood I would go there, but I don't know if it is worth the drive.

BTW, we tried a new place in the Apline/Lehi/AF area that you should check out. It is called Yapono (Yapona?) and it is accross the street to the south of Costco. Pricey, but excellent quality.

cougjunkie 01-07-2008 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 171292)
The wife and I drove to Sandy last Saturday and tried this place out. We weren't overly impressed. The salad was straight out of a bag and soggy. And my soda came in a 12-oz. can. Nevertheless, we looked forward to the sushi. It was OK. We have had worse, but we have had better also. In the end, the tab came to $44 plus tip. If I lived in the neighborhood I would go there, but I don't know if it is worth the drive.

BTW, we tried a new place in the Apline/Lehi/AF area that you should check out. It is called Yapono (Yapona?) and it is accross the street to the south of Costco. Pricey, but excellent quality.

You need to try Won Won Wok in Saratoga Springs/Lehi, out on lehi main street next to Smiths. I dont like Sushi but everyone in my neighborhood raves about it.

marsupial 01-07-2008 08:39 PM

I hate you all. Sushi sounds so good right now and it will be another 6 1/2 months before I can eat it.

Jeff Lebowski 01-07-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 171312)
I hate you all. Sushi sounds so good right now and it will be another 6 1/2 months before I can eat it.

Cheer up. You can always get a $5.99 t-bone at the Waffle House. Bwahahahahaha.....

MikeWaters 01-07-2008 08:59 PM

Has anyone been to Kyoto?

Apparently there are two different ones with the same name.

I'm talking about this one:

http://wcities.com/en/record/24,40448/67/record.html

"top 10 restaurant in Utah"

I haven't been there in many years, so it may just be nostalgia. For example, when I was at BYU, I liked Demae. Then after living in Houston for a bit, I went back to Demae and almost threw up.

Kyoto specializes in more of your traditional Japanese dishes, has sushi bar. Great tempura, good memories of sukiyaki.

Jeff Lebowski 01-07-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 171338)
Has anyone been to Kyoto?

Apparently there are two different ones with the same name.

I'm talking about this one:

http://wcities.com/en/record/24,40448/67/record.html

"top 10 restaurant in Utah"

I haven't been there in many years, so it may just be nostalgia. For example, when I was at BYU, I liked Demae. Then after living in Houston for a bit, I went back to Demae and almost threw up.

Kyoto specializes in more of your traditional Japanese dishes, has sushi bar. Great tempura, good memories of sukiyaki.

I've been to the city, but not the restaurant. Looks interesting. I will check it out.

Demae is Japanese comfort food (domburi, katsudon, curry rice, etc.). Cheap, authentic, home-style dishes, but not gourmet. And their sushi is not very good.

MikeWaters 01-07-2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 171346)
I've been to the city, but not the restaurant. Looks interesting. I will check it out.

Demae is Japanese comfort food (domburi, katsudon, curry rice, etc.). Cheap, authentic, home-style dishes, but not gourmet. And their sushi is not very good.

Demae's food didn't change from when they were in a snowcone stand to when they opened as a sit-down restaurant. At the very least, they could cook the rice properly.

MikeWaters 01-07-2008 09:11 PM

Also, about Kyoto, the waitresses are all Japanese and speak Japanese. And the chefs/cooks are all Japanese. That is usually an excellent sign when you are at a Japanese restaurant. Mexican cooks are usually a bad, bad sign. Koreans are a bad sign as well. Whities are bad, bad, bad.

Jeff Lebowski 01-07-2008 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 171350)
Also, about Kyoto, the waitresses are all Japanese and speak Japanese. And the chefs/cooks are all Japanese. That is usually an excellent sign when you are at a Japanese restaurant. Mexican cooks are usually a bad, bad sign. Koreans are a bad sign as well. Whities are bad, bad, bad.

Amen, brother.

FarrahWaters 01-07-2008 09:26 PM

My family was in town over New Year's, and we had our annual sashimi/sushi dinner at our home. I had heard about a Japanese grocery store that had excellent fresh fish (30 miles away, but not too bad) so we stocked up on tuna, mackerel, yellowtail, and salmon. They also had great barbecued eel. Coming from Portland, OR, my parents experienced a little bit of sticker shock at the prices, but it still came out much cheaper than it would have cost to feed 7 adults at a sushi restaurant.

We made some veggie makizushi, but otherwise, everyone took squares of nori, filled them with as much or as little sushi rice and sashimi as they liked, and it was delicious.

Marsupial, I'll send you some wasabi peas to tide you over until that baby is born.

MikeWaters 01-07-2008 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 171363)
My family was in town over New Year's, and we had our annual sashimi/sushi dinner at our home. I had heard about a Japanese grocery store that had excellent fresh fish (30 miles away, but not too bad) so we stocked up on tuna, mackerel, yellowtail, and salmon. They also had great barbecued eel. Coming from Portland, OR, my parents experienced a little bit of sticker shock at the prices, but it still came out much cheaper than it would have cost to feed 7 adults at a sushi restaurant.

We made some veggie makizushi, but otherwise, everyone took squares of nori, filled them with as much or as little sushi rice and sashimi as they liked, and it was delicious.

Marsupial, I'll send you some wasabi peas to tide you over until that baby is born.

I usually don't care too much for salmon sashimi, but this was an exception. The salmon was excellent.

BarbaraGordon 01-07-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 146552)

Exactly. You haven't lived 'til you've visited Oklahoma and tried catfish sushi.

Two words: bottom feeder.

Jeff Lebowski 01-07-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 171363)

Ah yes. Te-maki zushi. That's how we do it at home.

MikeWaters 01-07-2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 146552)

So you think the tuna sashimi you eat in LA is caught at the end of the dock?

http://atypicaljoe.com/index.php?/si...s_global_good/

TripletDaddy 01-07-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 171406)
So you think the tuna sashimi you eat in LA is caught at the end of the dock?

http://atypicaljoe.com/index.php?/si...s_global_good/

The blog seems to pointing out that japanese are importing their fish and that sushi adapts to local ingredients.

Not sure I understand the weblink as it pertains to the question.

Or are you the gay New Yorker living in the South? I thought you were married?

MikeWaters 01-07-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 171420)
The blog seems to pointing out that japanese are importing their fish and that sushi adapts to local ingredients.

Not sure I understand the weblink as it pertains to the question.

Or are you the gay New Yorker living in the South? I thought you were married?

The point is that your sushi in LA may be no fresher than my sushi in Dallas, given that both have major airports (where the tuna is picked up).

TripletDaddy 01-07-2008 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 171421)
The point is that your sushi in LA may be no fresher than my sushi in Dallas, given that both have major airports (where the tuna is picked up).

You do not speak little gay New Yorker very fluently.

The little gay New Yorker guy only speaks to buying fish in Japan. He makes no mention of fishing in other parts of the world.

Also, he doesnt say that other seaports are not doing their own fishing. Did i miss something? Is there a portion of the article that hints at the notion that Southern California has stopped fishing?

The only thing the article suggests is that Japan has overfished its tuna and now imports it from all over.

I will concede blue bell ice cream, which is obviously superior in every sense. But you dont go to landlocked areas for better fish. Even little gay new yorkers know that.

Black Diamond Bay 01-07-2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 171425)
You do not speak little gay New Yorker very fluently.

The little gay New Yorker guy only speaks to buying fish in Japan. He makes no mention of fishing in other parts of the world.

Also, he doesnt say that other seaports are not doing their own fishing. Did i miss something? Is there a portion of the article that hints at the notion that Southern California has stopped fishing?

The only thing the article suggests is that Japan has overfished its tuna and now imports it from all over.

I will concede blue bell ice cream, which is obviously superior in every sense. But you dont go to landlocked areas for better fish. Even little gay new yorkers know that.

When I went to the after party for the Espy awards they served some sushi. Mostly just rolls, but there were also pieces of raw tuna there. Some basketball player behind me in line didn't know what it was, and asked me. When I told him he looked completely repulsed, and was appalled that I had actually put two pieces of it on my plate. It was really good Tuna.

K-dog 01-08-2008 03:09 PM

Ichiban and Takashi are the best two sushi places in Utah.