cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Anyone man enough to own up to wanting (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13811)

NorCal Cat 11-12-2007 05:26 PM

Anyone man enough to own up to wanting

Kryle as BYU coach instead of Bronco?

Kryle is a total jackass. His post game comments are just hilarious. Yeah, way to go Kryle! You really showed Joe Glenn how to be accountable for some comments he makes at a freaking school pep rally! LOL

UtahDan 11-12-2007 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 149101)

Kryle is a total jackass. His post game comments are just hilarious. Yeah, way to go Kryle! You really showed Joe Glenn how to be accountable for some comments he makes at a freaking school pep rally! LOL

Here's another post that belongs on CB. Scamper on back there, would ya?

NorCal Cat 11-12-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 149103)

The truth hurts, huh?

Jeff Lebowski 11-12-2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 149103)

Motion seconded.

K-dog 11-12-2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

I admit to having wanted Whittingham. I'll also admit that, so far, Bronco has done fine. I don't think Whitt is a total jackass though. I think Kyle does a decent job at the U. I am bothered about what really happened between he and the Y. Now that I know the whole story, I'm more amazed than ever that Bronco didn't fall flat on his face.

Jeff Lebowski 11-12-2007 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149112)
I am bothered about what really happened between he and the Y. Now that I know the whole story, I'm more amazed than ever that Bronco didn't fall flat on his face.

Can you clarify?

nikuman 11-12-2007 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 149111)
Motion seconded.

I think the next step is a binding vote. I vote in the affirmative.

OrangeUte 11-12-2007 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 149105)
The truth hurts, huh?

your scathing comments are reminding me of that old saturday night live skit with alec baldwin and seth meyers - zinger v. burns.

i just imagine you writing these types of retorts and then saying - "you just got zinged!" "Uhhhh.. the name's Dave Clinger, but my friends call me Dave "Zinger", on account of my awesome, awesome zings!"

Flystripper 11-12-2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

I wanted Whit...wouldn't want him now though.

NorCal Cat 11-12-2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 149111)
Motion seconded.

Sorry, no can do since I am banned from CB.
I didn't know there was a rule against Ute smack here. Silly me, I thought only CB had moronic rules.

OrangeUte 11-12-2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149112)
I admit to having wanted Whittingham. I'll also admit that, so far, Bronco has done fine. I don't think Whitt is a total jackass though. I think Kyle does a decent job at the U. I am bothered about what really happened between he and the Y. Now that I know the whole story, I'm more amazed than ever that Bronco didn't fall flat on his face.

what's the whole story? sounds like you have a juicy tidbit of info.

nikuman 11-12-2007 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 149126)
Sorry, no can do since I am banned from CB.
I didn't know there was a rule against Ute smack here. Silly me, I thought only CB had moronic rules.

I really wish Jefe would fight fair instead of trying to annoy us like this.

K-dog 11-12-2007 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeUte (Post 149127)
what's the whole story? sounds like you have a juicy tidbit of info.

Kyle and BYU had an agreement done but had not reduced it to a formal writing. Both had agreed on all terms. Kyle got a call from the U while the contract was being prepared. He returned to the Y and told them that the U had offered a little more money and he wanted the Y to match. BYU told him that they already had an agreement with him and they expected him to honor it. He said he wanted more money and knew they could pay it. They told him to pound sand. Bottom line, Kyle reneged on his deal with the Y. The U didn't outbid the Y. The Y refused to modify a previously agreed on contract.

OrangeUte 11-12-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149131)
Kyle and BYU had an agreement done but had not reduced it to a formal writing. Both had agreed on all terms. Kyle got a call from the U while the contract was being prepared. He returned to the Y and told them that the U had offered a little more money and he wanted the Y to match. BYU told him that they already had an agreement with him and they expected him to honor it. He said he wanted more money and knew they could pay it. They told him to pound sand. Bottom line, Kyle reneged on his deal with the Y. The U didn't outbid the Y. The Y refused to modify a previously agreed on contract.

do you have a source?

K-dog 11-12-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeUte (Post 149133)
do you have a source?

Tom Holmoe.

nikuman 11-12-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

In Kyle's defense, I would have done the same thing. This sort of gamesmanship (if you can call it that) is exactly the way large M&A deals are done, at least when there is an auction process.

NorCal Cat 11-12-2007 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeUte (Post 149121)
your scathing comments are reminding me of that old saturday night live skit with alec baldwin and seth meyers - zinger v. burns.

i just imagine you writing these types of retorts and then saying - "you just got zinged!" "Uhhhh.. the name's Dave Clinger, but my friends call me Dave "Zinger", on account of my awesome, awesome zings!"

Maybe if Utah Dan could come up with a better response besides "this belongs on CB," my response would have been more acceptable to you oh mighty Ute. But he instead chose to ignore the valid criticism of your jackass coach. Come on Yewtards, has this ever happened in the history of college football? A team kicking an onside kick up 43-0?

I also love how your coach and team act like Glenn's comments were akin to calling their mothers dirty whores or something.

K-dog 11-12-2007 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikuman (Post 149136)
In Kyle's defense, I would have done the same thing. This sort of gamesmanship (if you can call it that) is exactly the way large M&A deals are done, at least when there is an auction process.

IF the contract is settled, the contract is settled. Trying to renegotiate with people you will work with is dirty pool. Coaching football isn't and M&A deal.

OrangeUte 11-12-2007 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 149137)
Maybe if Utah Dan could come up with a better response besides "this belongs on CB," my response would have been more acceptable to you oh mighty Ute. But he instead chose to ignore the valid criticism of your jackass coach. Come on Yewtards, has this ever happened in the history of college football? A team kicking an onside kick up 43-0?

I also love how your coach and team act like Glenn's comments were akin to calling their mothers dirty whores or something.

yewtards = another zing from the zingmeister!

i agree it was overreaction, but your obsession with it is overreaction as well.

NorCal Cat 11-12-2007 06:00 PM

Quote:

You are amazed Bronco didn't fall on his face because of this?

OrangeUte 11-12-2007 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149135)
Tom Holmoe.

wasn't holmoe with samuelson out of town during that time?

K-dog 11-12-2007 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeUte (Post 149141)
wasn't holmoe with samuelson out of town during that time?

I don't know. Does it matter? It fits the known information better than the "outbid" theory and was told by one who would know what really happened.

nikuman 11-12-2007 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149138)
IF the contract is settled, the contract is settled. Trying to renegotiate with people you will work with is dirty pool. Coaching football isn't and M&A deal.

The contract is never settled unless it's in writing. Never. Every time people think they have a completely settled deal, it comes around to negotiations again when it's time to make up the contract. I've never seen an exception to that in any context, be it M&A or other, where significant sums of money are involved.

Indy Coug 11-12-2007 06:02 PM

Plain and simple: Divine Intervention saved us from Whittingham. Hallelujah!!!

NorCal Cat 11-12-2007 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeUte (Post 149139)
yewtards = another zing from the zingmeister!

i agree it was overreaction, but your obsession with it is overreaction as well.

My obsession? LMFAO!! Yeah, I am so obsessed with Utah and Kryle that I just heard about the onside kick this morning, and made one post on Cougarguard about it. Which you and your fellow yewtards are getting your gstrings in a knot about.

K-dog 11-12-2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikuman (Post 149145)
The contract is never settled unless it's in writing. Never. Every time people think they have a completely settled deal, it comes around to negotiations again when it's time to make up the contract. I've never seen an exception to that in any context, be it M&A or other, where significant sums of money are involved.

You don't do a lot of employment work do you?

nikuman 11-12-2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 149147)
My obsession? LMFAO!! Yeah, I am so obsessed with Utah and Kryle that I just heard about the onside kick this morning, and made one post on Cougarguard about it. Which you and your fellow yewtards are getting your gstrings in a knot about.

Not to pick at nits or anything, but I'd think you'd find your attempts at smack would be much better if you didn't perpetually sound like a sixth grader who mistakenly found his way into a strip club.

NorCal Cat 11-12-2007 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 149146)
Plain and simple: Divine Intervention saved us from Whittingham. Hallelujah!!!

Amen brother! Praise the Lord!

OrangeUte 11-12-2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149144)
I don't know. Does it matter? It fits the known information better than the "outbid" theory and was told by one who would know what really happened.

not really that it matters, but if the authorities aren't in town, and there is still the chance of a higher offer from the other bidder, and nothing is in writing, it seems to me that you're more in a position of negotiation than of merely reducing it to writing.

also, i don't buy your clandestine version of events. that there was ongoing negotiations seems more reasonable than that kwhit made an agreement on actual terms and while it was being prepared came back to ask for more money.

nikuman 11-12-2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149148)
You don't do a lot of employment work do you?

Do you?

I've been involved with some, but only as it relates to larger deals in general. The general point remains, though: until it's in writing, I don't consider the deal done, and therefore I have no problem with Kyle walking out for more money. He's self-interested, and if you (a generic you - not you personally) don't allow for that in negotiations when another offer comes up and before you have his signature, you're not being realistic. I do not deny that his actions had at least the potential for bad blood, although I don't know if any exists or not.

K-dog 11-12-2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeUte (Post 149153)
not really that it matters, but if the authorities aren't in town, and there is still the chance of a higher offer from the other bidder, and nothing is in writing, it seems to me that you're more in a position of negotiation than of merely reducing it to writing.

also, i don't buy your clandestine version of events. that there was ongoing negotiations seems more reasonable than that kwhit made an agreement on actual terms and while it was being prepared came back to ask for more money.

You don't need to "buy" my version of events. They effect my opinion of Kyle but you don't know me so they shouldn't effect yours.

NorCal Cat 11-12-2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikuman (Post 149150)
Not to pick at nits or anything, but I'd think you'd find your attempts at smack would be much better if you didn't perpetually sound like a sixth grader who mistakenly found his way into a strip club.

Just trying to keep the smack talk at a level a Ute-educated person can understand.

OrangeUte 11-12-2007 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 149147)

sweet zing with gstings in a knot.

i was not referring to you personally, but coug fans who are having such an emotional response to the onside kick issue. it was wrong, but it is being blown out of proportion on these message boards - by both sides.

K-dog 11-12-2007 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikuman (Post 149154)
Do you?

I've been involved with some, but only as it relates to larger deals in general. The general point remains, though: until it's in writing, I don't consider the deal done, and therefore I have no problem with Kyle walking out for more money. He's self-interested, and if you (a generic you - not you personally) don't allow for that in negotiations when another offer comes up and before you have his signature, you're not being realistic. I do not deny that his actions had at least the potential for bad blood, although I don't know if any exists or not.

I do. Almost every employment contract I've been involved with has been worked out between the principals prior to coming to us. Then gets drafted but not renegotiated. I think only in the most complex employment contracts do renegotiations take place and, even then, not with regards to major terms like compensation.

Of course, it is hard to enforce an unwritten contract...then again, it is no less a contract for being unwritten.

OrangeUte 11-12-2007 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149157)
You don't need to "buy" my version of events. They effect my opinion of Kyle but you don't know me so they shouldn't effect yours.

i can tell.

OrangeUte 11-12-2007 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149161)
I do. Almost every employment contract I've been involved with has been worked out between the principals prior to coming to us. Then gets drafted but not renegotiated. I think only in the most complex employment contracts do renegotiations take place and, even then, not with regards to major terms like compensation.

Of course, it is hard to enforce an unwritten contract...then again, it is no less a contract for being unwritten.

yes, but only if there is clear assent to all of the terms as discussed. it happens often when reducing an agreement to writing that there are other terms that come up that need further negotiation. it could be incentive packages that just weren't discussed, but i'll grant you that it is very rarely a base salary issue that needs to be renegotiated.

K-dog 11-12-2007 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeUte (Post 149164)
yes, but only if there is clear assent to all of the terms as discussed. it happens often when reducing an agreement to writing that there are other terms that come up that need further negotiation. it could be incentive packages that just weren't discussed, but i'll grant you that it is very rarely a base salary issue that needs to be renegotiated.

Like I said, they had agreed on the deal and Kyle came back with a new main number. Interestingly, I was told it wasn't far above the originally agreed deal with the Y.

nikuman 11-12-2007 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149161)

Enforceability is my precise point - a contract is completely worthless if it isn't enforceable. Until I have a piece of paper in my hand that I can waive in front of a judge and get damages with, any deal that is worked out orally is irrelevant from a practical standpoint, no? Sucked for BYU (at the time) but them's the breaks, and they would have been extremely shortsighted not to consider the possibility of him ignoring prior oral agreements and jumping to greener pastures if said greener pastures became available.

In any event, it's apparent that employment law is different that the business law I practice - people are very careful about not binding themselves to things until documents are signed.

K-dog 11-12-2007 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikuman (Post 149167)
Enforceability is my precise point - a contract is completely worthless if it isn't enforceable. Until I have a piece of paper in my hand that I can waive in front of a judge and get damages with, any deal that is worked out orally is irrelevant from a practical standpoint, no? Sucked for BYU (at the time) but them's the breaks, and they would have been extremely shortsighted not to consider the possibility of him ignoring prior oral agreements and jumping to greener pastures if said greener pastures became available.

In any event, it's apparent that employment law is different that the business law I practice - people are very careful about not binding themselves to things until documents are signed.

Employment law generally includes at least one unsophisticated party so it is vastly different than M&A work or key employee work.

OrangeUte 11-12-2007 06:26 PM

i am curious, does anybody know what bronco's salary is?