cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   collie quote: (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14204)

Brian 11-25-2007 12:11 AM

collie quote:

utefans.net claims he said this on radio:

"When you're doing what's right on and off the field, I think God steps in, takes care of it, the magic happens."

Anyone hear this?

woot 11-25-2007 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 154140)

"When you're doing what's right on and off the field, I think God steps in, takes care of it, the magic happens."

Anyone hear this?

It's getting play on CB as well. I hope he doesn't actually believe that, but I don't think any of us care too much about the intelligence of our ball players, so not a big deal I guess.

Brian 11-25-2007 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 154141)
It's getting play on CB as well. I hope he doesn't actually believe that, but I don't think any of us care too much about the intelligence of our ball players, so not a big deal I guess.

What?
The "we don't let in any non-genius types" don't care about the intelligence of the players?
This nit-wit just dispelled that myth.
I bet that will be remembered next year when someone has the chance to "Kehl" him in RES.

nikuman 11-25-2007 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 154141)

He's a semi-fresh RM. Hell, I believed all sorts of wacky things as they related to divine intervention when I was newly reentering society.

Say what you want about BYU, it's usually not a place that develops religious pragmatism in this respect either. Oh well.

As I (cynically, and with an ironic twist of pseudo-racism that may or may not go unnoticed) pointed out on CB, it's not uncommon for an african-american baptist type player (note: I'm not trying to stereotype; I just can't find another way to describe it) to give all credit to God/Jesus and say similar things (I don't find it any more sane, though).

jay santos 11-25-2007 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikuman (Post 154144)

As I (cynically, and with an ironic twist of pseudo-racism that may or may not go unnoticed) pointed out on CB, it's not uncommon for an african-american baptist type player (note: I'm not trying to stereotype; I just can't find another way to describe it) to give all credit to God/Jesus and say similar things (I don't find it any more sane, though).

Yeah but they don't usually do this for the purpose of getting under their rival fan's skin, so they don't get as much credit as Collie does for this.

nikuman 11-25-2007 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 154145)
Yeah but they don't usually do this for the purpose of getting under their rival fan's skin, so they don't get as much credit as Collie does for this.

This is a very fair point, and leaves us with two possible conclusions:

1. Collie is a bit out there dogmatically and may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, as he doesn't know what he's saying.

2. Collie knows exactly what he's saying and is a sheer genius.

woot 11-25-2007 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 154143)
What?
The "we don't let in any non-genius types" don't care about the intelligence of the players?
This nit-wit just dispelled that myth.

I'm not sure what that means.

SteelBlue 11-25-2007 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 154150)

It means he's still pissed that Utah lost. On a side note, I hope the basketball players have been living righteously on and off the court. They'll be needing some of that magic tonight.

Brian 11-25-2007 12:37 AM

Quote:

If it's so hard to get into byu, why are they letting a deep thinker like this in?

il Padrino Ute 11-25-2007 12:37 AM

Quote:

It means that he thinks Collie is dumb and the allegedly more intelligent BYU people don't care if the athletes are dumb.

woot 11-25-2007 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 154154)
It means he's still pissed that Utah lost.

Can't blame him. When you get dominated but still have a chance to steal the game, it's gotta be rough when the natural order prevails.

RockyBalboa 11-25-2007 12:38 AM

I'm sure it's something that will piss Yewt "fans" off for the next 364 days.

I'm okay with that.

Brian 11-25-2007 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 154154)
It means he's still pissed that Utah lost.

Yea, I am pissed.

I wonder if utah had won, would collie have had the nads to say:
"If only I had gone to see the Bishop last week, I think we would have won."

Brian 11-25-2007 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 154158)
Can't blame him. When you get dominated but still have a chance to steal the game, it's gotta be rough when the natural order prevails.

Yes, I'd rather get rolled. Then you don't worry about the what ifs.

maybe i'll become a byu fan.

woot 11-25-2007 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 154156)
If it's so hard to get into byu, why are they letting a deep thinker like this in?

Heh it makes you wonder. Then again, I knew some really stupid people at BYU. Getting good grades in high school isn't difficult.

BYU is so hard to get into because everybody wants to go there for the religious experience, not because they have great academics. I'm glad I went there, as it helped me to recognize how much I didn't enjoy the religious experience, and I feel like a got a good education, but the three hardest classes I ever took were at the JC I went to before transferring to BYU.

il Padrino Ute 11-25-2007 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 154158)

Dominated? How so? Aren't you the one who says that stats mean nothing?

woot 11-25-2007 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 154166)
Dominated? How so? Aren't you the one who says that stats mean nothing?

ruh roh. Methinks you should reread that conversation for context.

il Padrino Ute 11-25-2007 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 154169)
ruh roh. Methinks you should reread that conversation for context.

No, I don't need to reread it. MP provided stats to prove that Utah is the best pass defense BYU faced and you said that stats don't mean anything.

woot 11-25-2007 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 154173)
No, I don't need to reread it. MP provided stats to prove that Utah is the best pass defense BYU faced and you said that stats don't mean anything.

Sigh. they don't mean anything because they aren't comparable. He's saying that Utah is top 5 against the pass, conveniently ignoring that they didn't play any of the top passing offenses. I never said that stats are always meaningless, and in fact I tend to put more emphasis on stats than most. BYU could run at will against the U's defense, and Utah's offense was impotent for most of the game. It would have been dominant on the scoreboard too if a couple more catches had been made. Nuance brother, nuance.

Colly Wolly 11-25-2007 12:49 AM

Is there a big difference between what Collie said and what Ray Lewis said on the podium after winning the Super Bowl in 2001? Ray gave credit to God for the victory, and his ability to withstand the "trials" that God gave him (murder trial). Were people freaking out about that? Cause I think it's pretty similar.

Athletes give credit to God all the time. I love that it pisses all these Ute fans off.

woot 11-25-2007 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colly Wolly (Post 154180)
Is there a big difference between what Collie said and what Ray Lewis said on the podium after winning the Super Bowl in 2001? Ray gave credit to God for the victory, and his ability to withstand the "trials" that God gave him (murder trial). Were people freaking out about that? Cause I think it's pretty similar.

Athletes give credit to God all the time. I love that it pisses all these Ute fans off.

First off, I think Ray Lewis or anybody else giving credit to God is really stupid. Second, there's a big difference between giving credit to God and saying the equivalent of "I'm more righteous than them, therefore God chose my team to win." Collie is the bomb, but that was a really dumb thing to say.

il Padrino Ute 11-25-2007 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 154179)
Sigh. they don't mean anything because they aren't comparable. He's saying that Utah is top 5 against the pass, conveniently ignoring that they didn't play any of the top passing offenses. I never said that stats are always meaningless, and in fact I tend to put more emphasis on stats than most. BYU could run at will against the U's defense, and Utah's offense was impotent for most of the game. It would have been dominant on the scoreboard too if a couple more catches had been made. Nuance brother, nuance.

Nuance? Or homerism on your part?.

Tomato or tomahto? It's the same thing depending on perspective.

tooblue 11-25-2007 12:55 AM

Quote:

Anyone hear this?

Is there something wrong with that quote -did he say utes don't do things right on and off the field? Is he speaking about his own life and football experience?

woot 11-25-2007 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 154184)
Nuance? Or homerism on your part?.

Tomato or tomahto? It's the same thing depending on perspective.

Call it homerism, but in this case I just don't think you understood what I was referring to.

tooblue 11-25-2007 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 154160)
Yea, I am pissed.

I wonder if utah had won, would collie have had the nads to say:
"If only I had gone to see the Bishop last week, I think we would have won."

Are you taking his quote out of context? Why is it wrong for him to express gratitude? Why is it instantly perceived as a slight against Utes?

il Padrino Ute 11-25-2007 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 154191)
Call it homerism, but in this case I just don't think you understood what I was referring to.

I know exactly what you were referring to. You discounted Utah's pass defense because they play in the MWC.

I just believe that you're incapable of giving Utah credit where credit is due.

Colly Wolly 11-25-2007 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 154183)
First off, I think Ray Lewis or anybody else giving credit to God is really stupid. Second, there's a big difference between giving credit to God and saying the equivalent of "I'm more righteous than them, therefore God chose my team to win." Collie is the bomb, but that was a really dumb thing to say.

He basically said God helped us win. Whether it's true or not, I dont have a problem with him saying it. He's a devout, humble kid. We need more like him.

8ballrollin 11-25-2007 12:59 AM

I don't think Satan gets enough credit in sports.

I'd like to see a player come out and say, while their team is in the middle of a losing streak, or after a tough loss something like, "We played good enough to win today, but in the end, Satan got to us and we lost." Or, "I'd like to give Satan credit for today's loss; because I'm not taking any of the blame."

woot 11-25-2007 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 154195)
I know exactly what you were referring to. You discounted Utah's pass defense because they play in the MWC.

I just believe that you're incapable of giving Utah credit where credit is due.

I think I'd be more likely to do so had I seen any of their other games this year. I just don't care that much about them, and therefore only have this game to go on. What I saw were a lot of wide open receivers. That tells me that their top 5 ranking is due to lack of competition. I'll admit that if BYU had played Arkansas, Navy, LSU, or even Air Force after they remembered that they are a running team, that we likely would not be ranked in the top 10 against the run, and that our status as the only team in the whole nation not to give up a 100 rusher is due to not facing any good rushers. Why can't you admit the same thing about your pass defense?

woot 11-25-2007 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8ballrollin (Post 154200)

I'd like to see a player come out and say, while their team is in the middle of a losing streak, or after a tough loss something like, "We played good enough to win today, but in the end, Satan got to us and we lost." Or, "I'd like to give Satan credit for today's loss; because I'm not taking any of the blame."

That'd be pretty funny. I'd like to hear somebody give credit to Wotan or Ganesh.

il Padrino Ute 11-25-2007 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 154206)
I think I'd be more likely to do so had I seen any of their other games this year. I just don't care that much about them, and therefore only have this game to go on. What I saw were a lot of wide open receivers. That tells me that their top 5 ranking is due to lack of competition. I'll admit that if BYU had played Arkansas, Navy, LSU, or even Air Force after they remembered that they are a running team, that we likely would not be ranked in the top 10 against the run, and that our status as the only team in the whole nation not to give up a 100 rusher is due to not facing any good rushers. Why can't you admit the same thing about your pass defense?

Because I don't worry so much about the competition as I do the numbers.

And because it bugs you that I won't do it.

:)

woot 11-25-2007 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 154209)
Because I don't worry so much about the competition as I do the numbers.

And because it bugs you that I won't do it.

:)

If we eliminate the Tulsa game, BYU has given up less passing yards per game than Utah has (180.3 vs 188.0), in addition to its significantly better rush defense. :P

Even knowing that, I still don't know if BYU's pass defense is very good. The MWC just sucks at passing.

Brian 11-25-2007 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colly Wolly (Post 154180)

big difference.
collie said we win because we're more righteous.

Colly Wolly 11-25-2007 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 154226)
big difference.
collie said we win because we're more righteous.

Not at all. There was no mention of Utah or any comparative language in his statement.

exUte 11-25-2007 02:10 AM

I think it was the Utefans.net

Quote:

Anyone hear this?

that 'stepped' in it. I can see how the verbiage might get messed up a bit by some sauced Ute fan.

exUte 11-25-2007 02:12 AM

Didn't Whit say something a few years back

Quote:

Anyone hear this?

re: your performance on the field (Utes in this case) had something to do with their off-field behavior?

YOhio 11-25-2007 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8ballrollin (Post 154200)

As a law clerk I worked on a religious discrimination case for a client who worked in a military coroner's office. He was a Satanist and claims he was fired for his beliefs. At the administrative hearing we won some random motion and the cliently loudly thanked Beelzebub. We lost the hearing.

il Padrino Ute 11-25-2007 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 154271)
As a law clerk I worked on a religious discrimination case for a client who worked in a military coroner's office. He was a Satanist and claims he was fired for his beliefs. At the administrative hearing we won some random motion and the cliently loudly thanked Beelzebub. We lost the hearing.

That's funny.

exUte 11-25-2007 02:40 AM

With every comment archived on radio

Quote:

Anyone hear this?

stations these days, it should be difficult to check it out. Unless you think Utefans.net is the gospel.

mpfunk 11-25-2007 03:03 AM

So how did the BYU players sin to cause the losses to Tulsa and UCLA?