cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Boston Marathon (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18690)

FarrahWaters 04-21-2008 04:53 PM

Boston Marathon

My sister is running it as we speak. I just checked in on her time. She is running a 7:49 pace, projected to finish at 3:24:47. Because of her leg injury, her coach had instructed her to run at an 8 mile pace, but it looks like she decided not to listen.

I'm amazed by her. All her life, she has rejected playing sports and doing any sort of athletic activity. Three years ago, a group of friends convinced her to train for a marathon with them. She refused, but gave in at the last minute. She surpassed them all, and discovered a competitive drive in her that has turned her into a good runner. Plus, she's stubborn as heck :)

Mormon Red Death 04-21-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 211063)
My sister is running it as we speak. I just checked in on her time. She is running a 7:49 pace, projected to finish at 3:24:47. Because of her leg injury, her coach had instructed her to run at an 8 mile pace, but it looks like she decided not to listen.

I'm amazed by her. All her life, she has rejected playing sports and doing any sort of athletic activity. Three years ago, a group of friends convinced her to train for a marathon with them. She refused, but gave in at the last minute. She surpassed them all, and discovered a competitive drive in her that has turned her into a good runner. Plus, she's stubborn as heck :)

If I could run a 10 minute mile I would be happy... 8 minute miles for 26.2 is out of my comprehension

Archaea 04-21-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 211063)

The first part of the Boston marathon is the fastest part. I believe it's slightly downhill, but that's not implying she won't hit her target as the last half is not exactly a fast marathon.

FarrahWaters 04-21-2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 211088)
The first part of the Boston marathon is the fastest part. I believe it's slightly downhill, but that's not implying she won't hit her target as the last half is not exactly a fast marathon.

Yes, that's true. When I called my brother, who's in Boston watching her, she was just getting ready go up the huge hill. However, it looks like she's slightly increased her pace in the last half, now she's at a 7:46.

marsupial 04-21-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 211096)
Yes, that's true. When I called my brother, who's in Boston watching her, she was just getting ready go up the huge hill. However, it looks like she's slightly increased her pace in the last half, now she's at a 7:46.

I didn't realize your bro got married. Congrats to your SIL for even qualifying. Good for her.

FarrahWaters 04-21-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 211103)
I didn't realize your bro got married. Congrats to your SIL for even qualifying. Good for her.

No, my bro is still single. He's watching our actual sister running, while helping to cart along her two kids.

marsupial 04-21-2008 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 211116)
No, my bro is still single. He's watching our actual sister running, while helping to cart along her two kids.

I guess I read your thread too fast. What a nice bro though.

TripletDaddy 04-21-2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 211096)

if she is serious about improving her time, she should contact Rosie Ruiz for pointers.

Runner Coug 04-21-2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 211277)
if she is serious about improving her time, she should contact Rosie Ruiz for pointers.

Pointer #1- Take the subway.

TripletDaddy 04-21-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 211299)
Pointer #1- Take the subway.

She actually didnt do that in Boston. That was NYC, iirc. Someone remembered seeing her on the train.

In Boston, she simply waited for the group to cross the bridge and then jumped in for the last bit to Copley Square.

At least thanks to Rosie, we now have electronic monitoring at these races.

Runner Coug 04-21-2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 211303)
She actually didnt do that in Boston. That was NYC, iirc. Someone remembered seeing her on the train.

In Boston, she simply waited for the group to cross the bridge and then jumped in for the last bit to Copley Square.

At least thanks to Rosie, we now have electronic monitoring at these races.

Correct. But if she hadn't jumped the train in NYC, she wouldn't have even qualified for Boston, which is why it's pointer #1. ;)

Runner Coug 04-21-2008 09:55 PM

Lance Armstrong had a good race, came in at 2:50:58.

TripletDaddy 04-21-2008 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 211309)
Correct. But if she hadn't jumped the train in NYC, she wouldn't have even qualified for Boston, which is why it's pointer #1. ;)

You are correct, sir!

The old footage of her, as well as pics, are pretty amazing. She was barely sweating.

My question about the whole Rosie Ruiz deal...how in the heck did she "jump into the race" without ANYONE seeing her? Especially in the last mile or so? How is that possible?

MikeWaters 04-21-2008 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 211310)

Farrah's sister was only 30 minutes back of Lance.

Lance sucks. :)

TripletDaddy 04-21-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 211313)

He has slowed down a bunch now that he is not doping anymore.

Runner Coug 04-21-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 211312)
My question about the whole Rosie Ruiz deal...how in the heck did she "jump into the race" without ANYONE seeing her? Especially in the last mile or so? How is that possible?

I agree, pretty crazy that she could even get on the course at that stage of the race. I hate to say never, but I don't see how anyone could bandit the course that easily now, with the champion chip system registering everyone 7-8 times during the race.

Boston is such an incredible race. The history of that marathon is so rich. From Jock Semple trying to pull Katherine Switzer off the course, to the '82 "Duel in the Sun" between Dick Beardsley and Alberto Salazar, it has some amazing stories.

Sea Chicken 04-21-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 211310)

Lance was hoping for 2:40 (I'd be happy with 3:40)

Runner Coug 04-21-2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 211313)

Mike, I would seriously suggest that you at least try to get your kids to explore their potential talent at distance running. There is some serious talent on both sides of their family tree.

Runner Coug 04-21-2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Chicken (Post 211320)
(I'd be happy with 3:40)

You and me both, brother. My best is 3:46, and I worked my butt off all summer for that.

MikeWaters 04-22-2008 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 211321)
Mike, I would seriously suggest that you at least try to get your kids to explore their potential talent at distance running. There is some serious talent on both sides of their family tree.

and I was a AAU national champion in the mile relay.

But guess what--I HATE RUNNING!!!!!

(esp. distance running).

Archaea 04-22-2008 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 211395)
and I was a AAU national champion in the mile relay.

But guess what--I HATE RUNNING!!!!!

(esp. distance running).

It requires work, so we know.

PaloAltoCougar 04-22-2008 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 211322)
You and me both, brother. My best is 3:46, and I worked my butt off all summer for that.

That's impressive. It reminds me of a Rex Lee story. During an Antitrust class in '79, I think, the guy next to me raised his hand during a case discussion and asked, "Dean Lee, some of us have a betting pool going on with respect to your upcoming performance in the Boston Marathon. Can you slip me some inside info?" Rex responded, "What's the current line?" "Even money at 3:10," I believe was the answer. Rex lowered his head for a moment, and then responded quite firmly, "Bet on me." We did, and we/he won. That seems awfully fast, but he was very fit, so perhaps my memory isn't off.

Archaea 04-23-2008 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar (Post 211870)
That's impressive. It reminds me of a Rex Lee story. During an Antitrust class in '79, I think, the guy next to me raised his hand during a case discussion and asked, "Dean Lee, some of us have a betting pool going on with respect to your upcoming performance in the Boston Marathon. Can you slip me some inside info?" Rex responded, "What's the current line?" "Even money at 3:10," I believe was the answer. Rex lowered his head for a moment, and then responded quite firmly, "Bet on me." We did, and we/he won. That seems awfully fast, but he was very fit, so perhaps my memory isn't off.

Some people surprise you.

We had a member in my ward, whom I regarded as "older", when I was in my early thirties, that while in his fifties, ran a 2:42 at St. George. It still boggles my mind. In his sixties, such speed did him in and he often experienced injuries.

So I refuse to race marathons. Okay, that's the excuse that I tell people.

Runner Coug 04-23-2008 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar (Post 211870)

Your memory is right on. He ran the '81 Boston in 3 hours 7 minutes 29 seconds.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...pagewanted=all

PaloAltoCougar 04-23-2008 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 211889)
Some people surprise you.

We had a member in my ward, whom I regarded as "older", when I was in my early thirties, that while in his fifties, ran a 2:42 at St. George. It still boggles my mind. In his sixties, such speed did him in and he often experienced injuries.

So I refuse to race marathons. Okay, that's the excuse that I tell people.

Speaking of old people, my brother, five years my senior, is trying to cram as much excitement into his life before heading to Fiji where he commences MP duty in July. Recently, he and four others, including a 71 year-old and a 77 year-old, hiked from the North Rim to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon in one day. I think it's around a 24-mile hike, but with some pretty stiff climbs. Today, that same group is cycling from LA to San Diego, an unsupported century, although if one regards every 7-11 as a rest station I'm sure they'll do fine. I suspect I'll be able to do both when I'm 77 only if my casket is equipped with casters.

Archaea 04-23-2008 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar (Post 211892)
Speaking of old people, my brother, five years my senior, is trying to cram as much excitement into his life before heading to Fiji where he commences MP duty in July. Recently, he and four others, including a 71 year-old and a 77 year-old, hiked from the North Rim to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon in one day. I think it's around a 24-mile hike, but with some pretty stiff climbs. Today, that same group is cycling from LA to San Diego, an unsupported century, although if one regards every 7-11 as a rest station I'm sure they'll do fine. I suspect I'll be able to do both when I'm 77 only if my casket is equipped with casters.

You're doing the citizens' ride next year to Lotoja, and Viking and I will rest to watch YOU. And I didn't know you were almost seventy. I kinda thought you looked like a well preserved fifty something. Good to know I have something aspire to at your advanced seniority.

PaloAltoCougar 04-23-2008 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 211988)
You're doing the citizens' ride next year to Lotoja, and Viking and I will rest to watch YOU. And I didn't know you were almost seventy. I kinda thought you looked like a well preserved fifty something. Good to know I have something aspire to at your advanced seniority.

Everything in this post is wrong. I am neither near 70, nor am I well preserved. and I have never heard of any Lotoja ride; is it a benefit for one of the lovely Jackson girls?