cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   bYuPride (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1972)

bYuPride 04-26-2006 01:06 AM

bYuPride

I live in Holladay, UT with my wife and we have a kid on the way. It's due November 30th... 5 days after the BYU vs. utah game. I'm currently attending the university of utah and working full time at Wells Fargo Bank. My crew and I are big tailgaters. It would be nice to see BYU make a tailgate specific area. Anyway, I'm looking forward to a great season, beating utah, and winning our bowl game! See you in Tuscon for the season opener!

bYuPride 04-26-2006 01:19 AM

testing..

just checking to see if my pic and sig work..

MikeWaters 04-26-2006 02:37 AM

welcome to the site. hope you find something interesting.

Mormon Red Death 04-26-2006 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bYuPride
I live in Holladay, UT with my wife and we have a kid on the way. It's due November 30th... 5 days after the BYU vs. utah game. I'm currently attending the university of utah and working full time at Wells Fargo Bank. My crew and I are big tailgaters. It would be nice to see BYU make a tailgate specific area. Anyway, I'm looking forward to a great season, beating utah, and winning our bowl game! See you in Tuscon for the season opener!

How can you go to the University of Utah or God's school and root for byu? I am ashamed you are from my hometown. :)

livecoug 04-26-2006 03:14 PM

people who go the the U should all cheer for BYU. People who go to God's school should also cheer for BYU, as you should cheer for the school you attend (except the U, which in that case, you cheer for the Y).

bYuPride 04-26-2006 07:13 PM

in my experience at the u, there is actually a lot of BYU fans.. more so than i thought there would be. so it's not all that bad. i like to let all the lds utah fans know that they are BYU boosters due to the fact that they are tithe payers. :)

bYuPride 04-26-2006 07:56 PM

thanks.. i'm not very tech saavy, but i'm figuring things out.

fusnik11 04-26-2006 07:56 PM

Do you guys tailgate at the games, both away and home?

Don't you all set up video games, etc at. the tailgates?

bYuPride 04-26-2006 08:00 PM

yeah, we tailgate at all the home games... we have the flat screen tv, xbox, highlights, etc. we have a snow cone machine and a cotton candy machine, we just need a generator to run everything. we have a 10'x10' tent along with a 20'x10' tent and we should have at least 5 BYU flags flying this year.

as far as the away games, we just find a fun place to eat dinner before or after the game.

bYuPride 04-26-2006 08:13 PM

ha ha!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death
How can you go to the University of Utah or God's school and root for byu? I am ashamed you are from my hometown. :)

like it or not, there are a lot of us Cougars going to school at the u that are diehard BYU fans.. we feel very good about it too! Somebody has got to spread some light up there! ;) i live in your hometown? did you go to Olympus?

DirtyHippieUTE 04-26-2006 09:18 PM

Attending the U cheering for the Y...

I just don't get it... I can see being a BYU fan when BYU plays somebody else, but the U is your school.

This is my problem with the U. The campus experience (its "commuter" nature) does not do enough to create nostalgia and loyalty.

I became a big Ute fan because I decided to get really involved at school. I was involved with the largest student group on campus.... drum roll.... LDSSA! It is sad to me that LDSSA doesn't even gather enough people and create enough of an experience to "convert" people like you.

I understand tradition... I can see why a guy would root for BYU even though they did not go there (I have friends who root for ND because their 3rd cousin is Irish). But I still wish that the U could produce a more endearing experience.

il Padrino Ute 04-27-2006 01:27 AM

Perhaps Pride is one of the very, very few who wanted to go to BYU but wasn't smart enough to get in and decided not to hate BYU for rejecting him. ;)

Isn't that what most zoobs claim? That LDS Ute fans hate BYU because they couldn't get into BYU so they had to settle for Utah and joined the masses of other castoffs?

Mormon Red Death 04-27-2006 01:44 AM

Quote:

i like to let all the lds utah fans know that they are BYU boosters due to the fact that they are tithe payers. :)

I guess you are a Utah booster as well (assuming you pay taxes).

Mormon Red Death 04-27-2006 01:46 AM

Quote:

I live in your hometown? did you go to Olympus?

Yessir I did. I graduated in 1994

Mormon Red Death 04-27-2006 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE

I just don't get it... I can see being a BYU fan when BYU plays somebody else, but the U is your school.

This is my problem with the U. The campus experience (its "commuter" nature) does not do enough to create nostalgia and loyalty.

I became a big Ute fan because I decided to get really involved at school. I was involved with the largest student group on campus.... drum roll.... LDSSA! It is sad to me that LDSSA doesn't even gather enough people and create enough of an experience to "convert" people like you.

I understand tradition... I can see why a guy would root for BYU even though they did not go there (I have friends who root for ND because their 3rd cousin is Irish). But I still wish that the U could produce a more endearing experience.

My U experience was fantastic. I did LDSSA. I rented with 7 other guys an house on 3rd south and 13th east (yes I woke up at 8 am for a 8:30 class) I liked my student ward and all the people I went to school with. I went to europe for a summer with U (easily my best college experience) where I am still friends with several of the people on that trip. I went to every football game and basketball game. I loved institute. In fact, I am still active today because of one teacher that helped me resolve a lot of the issues I have with the church. I honestly think that if I went to byu I would still have a lot of questions. Not only that, institute was fun and didnt require that I have to take tests on gospel principles. Frankly, I am not sure how I could have had a better experience anywhere else. I guess the lone exception would be ND where I hear the dorm houses get to play rec football in pads and the championship game of the rec league gets to play in the house that rockne built.

I guess college is what you make of it. I knew people that got married a year (or less) after their mission and frankly how would the college experience be if you were married any different at byu? I also knew those that were just going to to college to get a job and not to learn. Those people are not gonna get an experience any different at Byu besides having to live mission rules and shaving everyday.

Although one thing I do wish was at the U when I was there is the MUSS. That looks like a great time. However, I was at the U when Majerus was at his peak and Van Horn, Doleac, Miller, Jensen so I can't complain that much.

bYuPride 04-27-2006 03:53 PM

Quote:

when it comes to sports, i never looked at BYU vs. Utah being school vs. school. it was always, the bad guys wore red and the good guys wore blue! it was more of a team thing. now that i'm attending the u, that really hasn't changed.

as far as being involved in school, i as well was in LDSSA, in fact that's where i met my wife. LDSSA is actually doing really well these days. and greek row is really pissed off about it.

i think the u produces a great experience. there are a lot of passionate fans up there and it's great. as for me, the line was drawn in the sand a long time ago. i will always be a Cougar.

bYuPride 04-27-2006 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Perhaps Pride is one of the very, very few who wanted to go to BYU but wasn't smart enough to get in and decided not to hate BYU for rejecting him. ;)

Isn't that what most zoobs claim? That LDS Ute fans hate BYU because they couldn't get into BYU so they had to settle for Utah and joined the masses of other castoffs?

ha ha! i actually went to "the BYU" for a semester and really enjoyed my time there. you're probably right about me not being smart enough to stick around though ;)

bYuPride 04-27-2006 03:56 PM

Quote:

Yessir I did. I graduated in 1994

nice. i graduated in 1999. you went to school with a lot of my family.

pedrotea 04-27-2006 04:21 PM

Quote:

like it or not, there are a lot of us Cougars going to school at the u that are diehard BYU fans.. we feel very good about it too! Somebody has got to spread some light up there! ;) i live in your hometown? did you go to Olympus?

This is what I found while I was at the U also. Yes, I graduated from the U and continue(d) to be an avid BYU fan. And yes I was accepted to BYU and could have gone there, however the Chem Engineering program at the U was better at the time. (I do have to admit that by attending the U my hatred for all thing Ute was tempered.)

DirtyHippieUTE 04-27-2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

nice. i graduated in 1999. you went to school with a lot of my family.

Whoa there sailor... I graduated in 1998... When you were in LDSSA, were you in Sigma Gamma Chi? If so, what chapter? Was Mrs. Pride in Lambda Delta Sigma?

bYuPride 04-27-2006 07:13 PM

Quote:

Whoa there sailor... I graduated in 1998... When you were in LDSSA, were you in Sigma Gamma Chi? If so, what chapter? Was Mrs. Pride in Lambda Delta Sigma?

oops, i was responding to mormon red death who graduated from Olympus in '94. Where did you graduate from?

as for my story with sigma gamma chi......

upon going to the 2004 fall carnival and deciding which chapter i should join, a few rho guys came up to me and told me that if i wanted the girls, i should join their chapter. then, a few phi guys came up and said if you are into sports and getting all the ladies, then their chapter was the way to go. i then started talking to some guys from xi who were a year younger than me at olympus and said, if you want to have true friends, play sports, and get the ladies, then join with us.

in my decision making, i took into account all factors.

RHO: most of the rho guys seemed like were pretty boys with their pink shirts and collars popped... all the guys that weren't "pretty" looked as if the were trying really really hard to fit in. sports didn't seem to be in their blood very much. plus i heard there was a lot of back biting in the chapter with the occasional bitch fit.

PHI: i was very intrigued with them. they had alot of pride in their chapter because the won the turkey bowl every year. along with rho, they were very confident in their ablilites to get their share of women. they all looked like a bunch of fun guys and it looked like the friends i'd always had.

XI: i was hesitant with this chapter because it was still pretty new. their talent for getting the chicks hadn't been proven yet. however, i knew a few of the guys in there and the rest of them seemed to be decent guys, plus sports was also an emphasis.

after throwing rho out of the equation right away, due to their arrogance and cockiness, as well as their, as it would seem, inadequacy to do anything that requires any physical skill, it was down to phi and xi. i wanted to help out the guys from my high school and establish their new chapter so i decided to go with them, taking the risk that they weren't one of the "cool" chapters yet and not getting any girls.

after joining xi, very quickly i realized i had made a good choice for me. all the guys in there were very genuinely good guys. we had a ton of fun together and accomplished a lot of cool stuff. we beat phi in the turkey bowl, thus fulfilling my need for sports and dominance, they succeeded in baiting the ladies and we did a lot of fun activities and met a lot of cool girls.

as for Mrs. Pride. she was president of the xi sorority. i was only in the xi fraternity for fall semester and my wife had to cut her presidency short
(she was asked to do it for another year). if you were in the ldssa system around then, you maybe would have known her.

anyway, that's the story. out of about, i would guess 50 guys, only about 10-15 of us were BYU fans. the u is a fine place to go to school. both BYU and utah have their advantages and disadvantages. at this point in my life, with where i am and what i'm doing, it only made sense to go to the u.

DirtyHippieUTE 04-27-2006 07:37 PM

Nice...

I went to Bountiful and graduated in '92 then graduated from the U in '98.

I was in Sigma Gamma Chi but that was back when the chapters had two letter names. I was a Pi Rho. It used to be a good bunch of guys. I heard it went down hill pretty quickly after a few of us left... I was pres my last year. The chapter was driving me crazy. I handed over the presidency after spring break of '97 and never went to another meeting again.

I still talk to some of the guys but most of them graduated in 97 with me.

Oh well...

bYuPride 04-28-2006 09:41 PM

Quote:

Nice...

I went to Bountiful and graduated in '92 then graduated from the U in '98.

I was in Sigma Gamma Chi but that was back when the chapters had two letter names. I was a Pi Rho. It used to be a good bunch of guys. I heard it went down hill pretty quickly after a few of us left... I was pres my last year. The chapter was driving me crazy. I handed over the presidency after spring break of '97 and never went to another meeting again.

I still talk to some of the guys but most of them graduated in 97 with me.

Oh well...

what drove you crazy? who ended up taking care of everything after you took off! that's pretty funny.

it seems like the some chapters are up and down. when i graduated from Olympus in '99, all my friends rushed RHO and they had a blast! but 5 years, later, RHO is a much different frat than they were before.

fusnik11 04-28-2006 10:01 PM

Quote:

what drove you crazy? who ended up taking care of everything after you took off! that's pretty funny.

it seems like the some chapters are up and down. when i graduated from Olympus in '99, all my friends rushed RHO and they had a blast! but 5 years, later, RHO is a much different frat than they were before.

Do you know the Cundick family?

The parents sing in the MoTab, and they have boys/girls that went to Olympus....

bYuPride 04-28-2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fusnik11
Do you know the Cundick family?

The parents sing in the MoTab, and they have boys/girls that went to Olympus....

i know a kevin cundick. well, i guess i know of kevin cundick. i don't remember ever having hung out with him or talked to him actually.

realtall 04-30-2006 11:51 AM

Quote:

I wondered similarly about mpfunk.:confused:

bYuPride 05-02-2006 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realtall
I wondered similarly about mpfunk.:confused:

did mpfunk graduate from BYU or did he just attend there?

ewth8tr 05-02-2006 06:30 PM

Quote:

You graduated from Olympus in '98? What JR High did you go to? I went to Granite, but went to Evergreen Jr.

DirtyHippieUTE 05-02-2006 07:07 PM

Quote:

what drove you crazy? who ended up taking care of everything after you took off!

Pi Rho hands off the presidency after spring break every year. Tucker Maxfield was the president after me. I went to the chapter meeting, started things off, announced that he was the new president and then when we broke to go do our activity I left.

The things that drove me crazy were the guys who were 28 - 29 who had no interest in the fraternity but only showed up to pick up fresman women. They didn't help with any of the positive parts of the fraternity and only served as really bad examples for the younger members.

The guys were all very good friends of mine and heaven knows I was as bad an example as the rest of them, but they couldn't turn it off for a few hours a week to have a positive influence on some younger kids.

I bailed when things started to get really out of hand. We had a small group who were showing up to activites drunk etc...

I figured I was tired of it, my term was over and I was out...

realtall 05-05-2006 01:19 AM

Quote:

did mpfunk graduate from BYU or did he just attend there?

I think that he graduated from there but I'm not sure. I kind of remember him saying that he went there for several years but that was a while ago and I cannot attest to the accuracy.:confused: