cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Home Improvement and Real Estate (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Trees close to the house? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20853)

SeattleUte 07-11-2008 09:29 PM

Trees close to the house?

Is this a problem if the tree's going to get big? I planted one in a spot that was necessarily maybe three feet or less from the house. Himalayan birch.

creekster 07-11-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 241244)
Is this a problem if the tree's going to get big? I planted one in a spot that was necessarily maybe three feet or less from the house. Himalayan birch.

Is this a real question?

il Padrino Ute 07-11-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 241244)

Pruning shears can be your friend.

The bigger problem will be where it is in relation to the house. It does better with full exposure to the sun.

SeattleUte 07-12-2008 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 241248)
Is this a real question?

Yes.

SeattleUte 07-12-2008 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 241252)
Pruning shears can be your friend.

The bigger problem will be where it is in relation to the house. It does better with full exposure to the sun.

Thanks, you've given me some comfort. I bought this big tree from the nursery at the last possible minute last Spring, before the leaves came out. My little boy was with me and it hung out the back of our van, with a red ribbon around the top. He calls it our tree. I planted it strategically to get a slice of sun for a few hours morning and afternoon each direction (when there's sun), though this tree doesn't need a lot, and give us more privacy vis-a-vis the neighbor's balcony in summer. But I had to wedge the root ball in between a rock retaining wall and my foundation. We hadn't thought anything could grow there.

It's grown like crazy. But some people are trying to carve into my (and my boy's) joy, saying it's too close to the house. It's pure rock all around the hole I dug mostly by removing boulders.

il Padrino Ute 07-12-2008 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 241394)
Thanks, you've given me some comfort. I bought this big tree from the nursery at the last possible minute last Spring, before the leaves came out. My little boy was with me and it hung out the back of our van, with a red ribbon around the top. He calls it our tree. I planted it strategically to get a slice of sun for a few hours morning and afternoon each direction (when there's sun), though this tree doesn't need a lot, and give us more privacy vis-a-vis the neighbor's balcony in summer. But I had to wedge the root ball in between a rock retaining wall and my foundation. We hadn't thought anything could grow there.

It's grown like crazy. But some people are trying to carve into my (and my boy's) joy, saying it's too close to the house. It's pure rock all around the hole I dug mostly by removing boulders.

It sounds like it should be ok. If it's the tree I think it is, I'd prune the lower branches as it gets taller, so they won't be against the house. Once the branches start to extend above the roof, you can let them grow.

SeattleUte 07-12-2008 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 241405)
It sounds like it should be ok. If it's the tree I think it is, I'd prune the lower branches as it gets taller, so they won't be against the house. Once the branches start to extend above the roof, you can let them grow.

I read birch has a shallow root system. So it shouldn't harm the foundation I guess.

il Padrino Ute 07-12-2008 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 241414)
I read birch has a shallow root system. So it shouldn't harm the foundation I guess.

I doubt it. My parents have several birch close to their home and there has been no root problems.

The one to watch is the blasted Silver Maple. It will root into your sewer line and wreak havoc like nothing else.

landpoke 07-12-2008 05:15 AM

You can always cut it down if it becomes a problem. Then you have the bonus of an excuse to buy a chain saw. And then you'll be a man my son.

SeattleUte 07-12-2008 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 241418)
You can always cut it down if it becomes a problem. Then you have the bonus of an excuse to buy a chain saw. And then you'll be a man my son.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is the best scary movie ever (the original, not the remake).

landpoke 07-12-2008 05:25 AM

I went up the mountain the other day with a friend to help him cut his way into an area where the road was closed by a bunch of blow down. The forest service hadn't yet sent a crew in to clear the road and he "needed" to get there right then. Basically it was just an excuse for him to buy a new chainsaw and for us to get out in the hills, drink beer and destroy things in a semi-productive cause.

As far as tools go there's not much that's manlier than a chain saw.

il Padrino Ute 07-12-2008 05:51 AM

Chain saws are manly. I get mine out once in a while just to replenish the testosterone.

My father would argue that a post digger is the only tool more manly than a chainsaw.

YOhio 07-12-2008 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 241424)

1. Jackhammer
2. Chainsaw
3. Welder

SeattleUte 07-12-2008 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 241433)
1. Jackhammer
2. Chainsaw
3. Welder

How about an axe?

SeattleUte 07-12-2008 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 241424)
I went up the mountain the other day with a friend to help him cut his way into an area where the road was closed by a bunch of blow down. The forest service hadn't yet sent a crew in to clear the road and he "needed" to get there right then. Basically it was just an excuse for him to buy a new chainsaw and for us to get out in the hills, drink beer and destroy things in a semi-productive cause.

In my fair state you'd be regarded in Michael Vick's class.

SteelBlue 07-12-2008 06:58 AM

SU, I'd be worried about the roots and what they might do to the house. Three feet is awfully close and when you consider that the root system is generally as large and wide as the branches well, you have to figure some of them are going to be trying to make their way into your home through the foundation.

SeattleUte 07-12-2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 241458)
SU, I'd be worried about the roots and what they might do to the house. Three feet is awfully close and when you consider that the root system is generally as large and wide as the branches well, you have to figure some of them are going to be trying to make their way into your home through the foundation.

I reject this advice as I'm in denial. I talked to a guy today who is going to do some work for us in our yard and sold us some fertilizer, and he told me the house is not a worry with this species. It's just that I'll have to disfigure the tree as I keep pruning it.

landpoke 07-13-2008 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 241450)
In my fair state you'd be regarded in Michael Vick's class.

You know Washington and the whole Northwest used to be cool. Now it's just as pussy as California, probably because of all the Calis up there. I don't know how you put up with it.

creekster 07-13-2008 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 241577)
I reject this advice as I'm in denial. I talked to a guy today who is going to do some work for us in our yard and sold us some fertilizer, and he told me the house is not a worry with this species. It's just that I'll have to disfigure the tree as I keep pruning it.

You know, you can get that fertilizer stuff down at the Home Depot if you want to sa ve a few bucks.

You may be right about the root system of this aprticaulr tree (and based on your commetns in this thread and I can see why one would have great confidence in your botanical conclusions) but it just sounds too close to the house to me. ALso, it may be a fire hazard and, finally, do you have roof rats in your area? Roof rats can be a problem so make sure you keep your attic vents properly sealed.

Jeff Lebowski 07-13-2008 06:18 AM

We have a nice Norwegian Maple growing in front of our house. Our home faces the west so it is starting to provide some shade for the hot summer afternoons. But it is growing very slowly. In the meantime, we notice a few years ago (3-4) that a wild tree had taken root next to our house (2-3 feet from the foundation) on the same side. It grew like crazy and we decided to just let it go for a bit and see what happens. I can't remember the name but it has big fern-like leaves and provides excellent shade. I keep lopping off the branches that grow towards the house so that it maintains some separation from my roof and soffit. It now shades the entire corner of the house and the two rooms on that side are much cooler in the evenings than they used to be.

We have a neighbor who is a tree expert. He has more than 30 species of trees in his yard and knows more on trees and gardening than anyone I have ever met. He came over a while back and we asked him if he thought we should cut down the tree. He said that as long as we keep it pruned such that it doesn't rest on the house or bump against it, it should be fine. He recommended that we keep it around until the maple is big enough to take over the shade duties.

SeattleUte 07-14-2008 09:09 PM

Thanks for the heartwarming story, Lebow.

Creekster, how high do roof rats jump? This particular tree is planted three stories and a pitched roof line beneath roof. It has a ways to go.

creekster 07-14-2008 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 242160)
Thanks for the heartwarming story, Lebow.

Creekster, how high do roof rats jump? This particular tree is planted three stories and a pitched roof line beneath roof. It has a ways to go.

This buggers can jump quite a ways, but I don't know how far.

il Padrino Ute 07-15-2008 12:04 AM

Roof rats - or any other vermin - are not a problem if you get yourself a really tough tomcat. We had one that killed everything that came within 2 blocks of our house, including a chihuahua. True story.

SeattleUte 07-15-2008 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 242277)
Roof rats - or any other vermin - are not a problem if you get yourself a really tough tomcat. We had one that killed everything that came within 2 blocks of our house, including a chihuahua. True story.

In Dutch Harbor the bald eagles are as big as condores and have been known to carry off chihuahuas. True story.

ERCougar 07-15-2008 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 241668)
We have a nice Norwegian Maple growing in front of our house. Our home faces the west so it is starting to provide some shade for the hot summer afternoons. But it is growing very slowly. In the meantime, we notice a few years ago (3-4) that a wild tree had taken root next to our house (2-3 feet from the foundation) on the same side. It grew like crazy and we decided to just let it go for a bit and see what happens. I can't remember the name but it has big fern-like leaves and provides excellent shade. I keep lopping off the branches that grow towards the house so that it maintains some separation from my roof and soffit. It now shades the entire corner of the house and the two rooms on that side are much cooler in the evenings than they used to be.

We have a neighbor who is a tree expert. He has more than 30 species of trees in his yard and knows more on trees and gardening than anyone I have ever met. He came over a while back and we asked him if he thought we should cut down the tree. He said that as long as we keep it pruned such that it doesn't rest on the house or bump against it, it should be fine. He recommended that we keep it around until the maple is big enough to take over the shade duties.

Is your "junk" tree an ash? It kind of sounds like it, but I would guess your neighbor would have identified it.