cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Facebook (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21453)

SteelBlue 08-06-2008 12:38 AM

Facebook

I've long been one who thought facebook was for teenagers or at least people much younger than me. But, after some pestering from my brothers I decided to throw up a page and give it a try. The result is that I've made contact with several people that I haven't seen since high school. That's 20 years ago for those who are counting. As nerdy/creepy as it sounds for a 38 year old man to have a facebook page I'm glad I did it.

Commence mocking now.

il Padrino Ute 08-06-2008 12:45 AM

I'd love to mock, but there is not enough bandwidth on the entire world wide web to be able to do so.

SteelBlue 08-06-2008 12:49 AM

Hey, UtahDan has one and he's 45!

UtahDan 08-06-2008 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 250490)
I've long been one who thought facebook was for teenagers or at least people much younger than me. But, after some pestering from my brothers I decided to throw up a page and give it a try. The result is that I've made contact with several people that I haven't seen since high school. That's 20 years ago for those who are counting. As nerdy/creepy as it sounds for a 38 year old man to have a facebook page I'm glad I did it.

Commence mocking now.

I have reconnect with many lost friends and acquaintances as well. Its fun.

UtahDan 08-06-2008 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 250496)
Hey, UtahDan has one and he's 45!

Damn it........

ute4ever 08-06-2008 12:56 AM

When I joined in January, there were only 12 members of my high school graduating class on it. Now there's over 40. Since lifting its "college-only" restriction, Facebook has grown like a weed.

Surfah 08-06-2008 12:58 AM

I had one. Deleted it because all I ever used it for was to spy on Gidget and her ex-boyfriends.

marsupial 08-06-2008 01:15 AM

I too thought facebook was only for teenagers and pedophiles until my parents came to visit this past couple of weeks. My dad has a facebook page and he is 67. Most of his "friends" are old missionaries from the mission he and my mom went on a couple of years ago. But he has also connected with a few folks from his Class of 1959 and even a guy I was friends with in high school. I have been thinking about signing up.

TripletDaddy 08-06-2008 01:22 AM

It is an amazing networking tool, to be sure.

My only impediment is that I don't really care what people from my high school are doing these days. I have kept in touch with the ones that interest me.

I am probably solo in thinking that way.

SteelBlue 08-06-2008 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 250510)
I too thought facebook was only for teenagers and pedophiles until my parents came to visit this past couple of weeks. My dad has a facebook page and he is 67. Most of his "friends" are old missionaries from the mission he and my mom went on a couple of years ago. But he has also connected with a few folks from his Class of 1959 and even a guy I was friends with in high school. I have been thinking about signing up.

I found one of my old Young Men's leaders who was very influential in my life. He was excommunicated while I was on my mission and I had totally lost contact with him since. He's 61, remarried and back in the church teaching gospel doctrine. It was worth signing up just to learn that.

il Padrino Ute 08-06-2008 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 250511)
It is an amazing networking tool, to be sure.

My only impediment is that I don't really care what people from my high school are doing these days. I have kept in touch with the ones that interest me.

Not at all. I already keep in touch with the only people I care about from high school - three out of a class of 600. I am the same with folks from my mission. Only a handful.

cougjunkie 08-06-2008 03:43 AM

I decided to check it out after reading this post and this girl I went to highschool with is a musician her name is Savvy Savalicious. Also a girl I kind of liked in Highschool hit me up within 5 minutes of signing up on the site.

Anyways I doubt I will get on much but it looks like you can make some good contacts.

fusnik11 08-06-2008 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 250511)

Here, here.

Why would I want to reconnect with people I purposefully expunged from my life?

TheSizzle36 08-06-2008 01:13 PM

I joined for two reasons:

1) Networking. It's absolutely critical in my industry.
2) High School reunions. We have almost 20% of the names of classmates through Facebook, which is a pretty good start.

On the plus side, I'm also friends with CJ Miles, so that's another added bonus.

HuskyFreeNorthwest 08-06-2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 250513)
I found one of my old Young Men's leaders who was very influential in my life. He was excommunicated while I was on my mission and I had totally lost contact with him since. He's 61, remarried and back in the church teaching gospel doctrine. It was worth signing up just to learn that.

I signed up but have not found the search that great. You must know secrets that I don't. I wish I were as wise as you, damn it.

ute4ever 08-06-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fusnik11 (Post 250560)
Here, here.

One of the features I like the best is that nobody can see your profile unless you allow them to. Thus, all newbies are "invisible" so to speak.

So, for example, you can do a search on your graduating class, browse through the list of names, and send invitations to your select few.

SteelBlue 08-06-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Here, here.

Who said you would? I lost contact with a lot of people not because I expunged them, but because I got busy/lazy and just lost contact.

SteelBlue 08-06-2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest (Post 250573)
I signed up but have not found the search that great. You must know secrets that I don't. I wish I were as wise as you, damn it.

Well for one, when you list your HS and graduation year you can search all those who graduated in your class. Same with college (though with BYU that isn't really helpful). You can also search by company. But the way I've been finding most is by adding a friend and then looking at their list of friends. After a week or so, you'll be surprised how many people you find or that find you.

myboynoah 08-06-2008 03:31 PM

You are all a bunch of facebook girly boys. But it sounds like a great place for Adam to meet Mia Maids.

ute4ever 08-06-2008 03:46 PM

Noah haven't you heard? Adam left us again. Jeez I thought you leaders of dispensations would be up on these things.

Another Facebook feature is email importing... it will locate everyone in your address book that has a profile. (Although granted if they are in your address book, you haven't exactly lost contact.)

minn_stat 08-06-2008 05:37 PM

At my wife's pestering, I signed up about two weeks ago, thinking this would be stupid. I've since been pleasantly surprised.

I haven't found any long lost friends yet, but I am keeping more up on what is going on in my and my wife's family. My mother passed away last year. She always kept me up-to-date on the rest of the family, so with her gone, I've tried to do better at calling and emailing my 9 siblings to keep up on things. I've done better, but still have a hard time staying connected, especially since they are all out west and I'm in MN.

Facebook allows me to see glimpses into their lives, and keep a tab on what they are up to. I'm sold on it.

marsupial 08-06-2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minn_stat (Post 250615)
Facebook allows me to see glimpses into their lives, and keep a tab on what they are up to...

Without actually having to talk to them!

Black Diamond Bay 08-06-2008 07:00 PM

My experience with facebook has led me to believe that it's nothing more than an online family reunion. I have a ton of cousins on there.

TripletDaddy 08-06-2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minn_stat (Post 250615)
At my wife's pestering, I signed up about two weeks ago, thinking this would be stupid. I've since been pleasantly surprised.

I haven't found any long lost friends yet, but I am keeping more up on what is going on in my and my wife's family. My mother passed away last year. She always kept me up-to-date on the rest of the family, so with her gone, I've tried to do better at calling and emailing my 9 siblings to keep up on things. I've done better, but still have a hard time staying connected, especially since they are all out west and I'm in MN.

Facebook allows me to see glimpses into their lives, and keep a tab on what they are up to. I'm sold on it.

You are using Facebook to keep tabs on your SIBLINGS? To get "glimpses into their lives?" How about a phone call or an email?

Log off of this chatboard now and please do not return until you have your life and priorities in order.

SteelBlue 08-06-2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 250636)
You are using Facebook to keep tabs on your SIBLINGS? To get "glimpses into their lives?" How about a phone call or an email?

The phone call makes sense as more effective communication, the email not so much. I think what he's saying is that he means to make more contact but struggles to actually do it. I am much the same. Checking in with facebook now and again he'll see photos and be able to read a little about what's going on that week. That will no doubt lead to feeling a little closer to family. My parents have a "myfamily.com" page that has led to us all being in contact far more frequently than we used to be. Facebook is every bit as good and it's free.

UteStar 08-06-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

C'mon Fus...lets be honest here, don't you mean: "Why would I want to reconnect with people that purposely expunged me from their lives?" And I think with that corrected statement of yours, you are absolutely correct.

creekster 08-07-2008 01:56 AM

SO I was sitting here and decide, "hey, what the heck, I goning to sign up and give it a try." So I signed up. I then searched for my surname, which is rather uncommon, and as I perused the search results I did, indeed, feel like a complete creep. I iwll likely not go back. Thanks a lot Steel.

il Padrino Ute 08-07-2008 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 250724)
SO I was sitting here and decide, "hey, what the heck, I goning to sign up and give it a try." So I signed up. I then searched for my surname, which is rather uncommon, and as I perused the search results I did, indeed, feel like a complete creep. I iwll likely not go back. Thanks a lot Steel.

Nice, lol.

I thought I'd take a look at the site to see what it's like and when I realized I would have to sign up before I could even look at it, I decided that it wasn't worth it.

All those people I don't want to contact will just have to deal with the reality that I don't care.

YOhio 08-07-2008 02:10 AM

This primer on online networking may come in handy for SB.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1420/satur...t-live-myspace

il Padrino Ute 08-07-2008 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 250727)

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1420/satur...t-live-myspace

Dang. That was very funny.

SteelBlue 08-07-2008 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 250724)

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 250727)

Guess who just lost any chance of a friend invite from SteelBlue? I hope you're both happy.

YOhio 08-07-2008 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 250737)
Guess who just lost any chance of a friend invite from SteelBlue? I hope you're both happy.

Phew. I really wasn't comfortable having a 14-year old girl version of SteelBlue as my online friend but I didn't know how to break it to you.

SteelBlue 08-07-2008 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 250738)
Phew. I really wasn't comfortable having a 14-year old girl version of SteelBlue as my online friend but I didn't know how to break it to you.

F' you. We're done.

cougarrunnerxc 08-13-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 250636)

Log off of this chatboard now and please do not return until you have your life and priorities in order.

At least his priorities include trying to get in touch with his family. Facebook is better than nothing. It's better than spending time talking to strangers on a message board all day. Talk about priorities.

YOhio 08-21-2008 01:50 AM

Maybe SteelBlue is just doing his religious duty.

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008...fered-facebook

Surfah 08-21-2008 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grapevine (Post 255325)
I signed up for it to catch a girl i happened to meet at a fair. used stalker net at Y of I to figure out last name. Got email back do I know you. I replied I saw you at the fair with people I was with. She was with someone else.

Here she likes another person standoffish to my group of peple I saw. Then again maybe there saying that so I won't chase her and they will.

Another reason why I disabled all of my online social networking accounts.

ute4ever 08-21-2008 04:26 AM

Quote:

I signed up for it to catch a girl i happened to meet at a fair. used stalker net at Y of I to figure out last name. Got email back do I know you. I replied I saw you at the fair with people I was with. She was with someone else.

Here she likes another person standoffish to my group of peple I saw. Then again maybe there saying that so I won't chase her and they will.

Sincerely,
James Blunt

il Padrino Ute 08-21-2008 04:26 AM

Quote:

Stalker net?

If that isn't funny, I don't know what funny is. LOL!

Runner Coug 08-21-2008 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 255332)
Sincerely,
James Blunt

Your beautfiul youre baeutiful its true. i saw you're face at crowded state fair don't no what to do. i'll never be with you.