cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Trader Joe's (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22259)

Coach McGuirk 09-08-2008 05:48 AM

Trader Joe's

Everytime I return to California, I miss Traders more. I have to get them to open some Utah locations.

Gidget 09-08-2008 02:16 PM

While you're at it, include Virgina (I love T.J.'s!)

YOhio 09-08-2008 02:26 PM

It's a nice grocery store to be sure. You have to time it right to minimize contact with hippies looking for cheap wine and flaxseed oil, but it can be done.

MikeWaters 09-08-2008 02:32 PM

Did it somebody say flax seeds?

RedHeadGal 09-08-2008 03:05 PM

I'm a little surprised Utah doesn't have one actually. They seem like quite a trendy little place, and Utah loves trendy consumerism.

P.S. Gidget, I don't know where you are in VA, but there are Trader Joes all over the DC area.

Solon 09-08-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 262802)
While you're at it, include Virgina (I love T.J.'s!)

There's one in DC-area Maryland on the Rockville Pike. It's kind of slummy compared to most, though.

bigpiney 09-08-2008 03:51 PM

I like them for the food and the prices, don't like them because they are so trendy and all the hippies.

But they carry Orangina so that outweighs all the negatives.

Gidget 09-08-2008 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 262826)
I'm a little surprised Utah doesn't have one actually. They seem like quite a trendy little place, and Utah loves trendy consumerism.

P.S. Gidget, I don't know where you are in VA, but there are Trader Joes all over the DC area.

Yeah, I googled it. About an hour north I think, in Fairfax. And that is from Fredericksburg, with no traffic . . . ..

SeattleUte 09-08-2008 09:40 PM

We are getting a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods both opening within a mile of our house. Should help property values. I actually much prefer WF, however.

creekster 09-08-2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 263104)
We are getting a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods both opening within a mile of our house. Should help property values. I actually much prefer WF, however.

WF is too expensive. TJ's is more of a Palin type place to shop. This thread makes me feel good. Within 5 or so miles of my house are 3 TJs and one WF. Not mention a Mcdonalds, a few Burger kings and a Wendy's.

YOhio 09-09-2008 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 263106)
WF is too expensive.

Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?

BarbaraGordon 09-09-2008 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 263106)
TJ's is more of a Palin type place to shop.

I've never heard of them. What do they sell? Camouflage gear or snowmobile parts?

mpfunk 09-09-2008 03:05 AM

I never actually went to Trader Joes when I was in Oregon. I loved Zupans in Oregon and wish they had them in Utah.

Surfah 09-09-2008 03:59 AM

Trader Joes and Whole Foods are trendy, snobbish, overrated and overpriced. IMO, they're only good for their incredible selection of soy based ice cream for us lactose challenged individuals.

creekster 09-09-2008 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfah (Post 263189)
Trader Joes and Whole Foods are trendy, snobbish, overrated and overpriced. IMO, they're only good for their incredible selection of soy based ice cream for us lactose challenged individuals.

TJ's may be many things, but it is not overpriced. I also have a hard time understanding the suposed 'trendiness' of Trader Joe's, as it has been around ever since I have lived in this area (AFAI can recall) and there dioens't seem to be much trendy about it.

Surfah 09-09-2008 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 263190)
TJ's may be many things, but it is not overpriced. I also have a hard time understanding the suposed 'trendiness' of Trader Joe's, as it has been around ever since I have lived in this area (AFAI can recall) and there dioens't seem to be much trendy about it.

Trader Joe's not so much as Whole Foods and the Wild Oats they bought up.

Coach McGuirk 09-09-2008 04:26 AM

Quote:

I was about to say the same thing. call it trendy or whatever but overpriced it is not. I too don't understand the trendiness label since I can not remember a time when i lived in California and did not go to one, at least since the mid to late 80's, but whatever.

I started to think why TJ's would bypass Utah and it has to be Liquor sales. They have a pretty large wine/liquor section and offer specialty beers that most likely contribute greatly to the bottom line.

RedHeadGal 09-10-2008 05:20 PM

Quote:

It may have been around for a while in CA, but they have proliferated quite a bit in more recent years. A la Krispy Kreme, I'd say, without looking at stats to back me up.

And I don't think it's the no alcohol things for Utah, because in Maryland, there are very strict laws about selling alcohol as well, and the TJs here don't have the alcohol sections.

BTW, I also agree it's not necessarily pricey. And I buy tons of steel cut oats from they for the cheapest price I can find. Plus, where else would I buy freeze dried mango or dragon fruit?

creekster 09-10-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 263853)
It may have been around for a while in CA, but they have proliferated quite a bit in more recent years. A la Krispy Kreme, I'd say, without looking at stats to back me up.

And I don't think it's the no alcohol things for Utah, because in Maryland, there are very strict laws about selling alcohol as well, and the TJs here don't have the alcohol sections.

BTW, I also agree it's not necessarily pricey. And I buy tons of steel cut oats from they for the cheapest price I can find. Plus, where else would I buy freeze dried mango or dragon fruit?

Further evidence of the advantages of california. You all may love to hate us, but you really love us.

Levin 09-10-2008 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 262830)
There's one in DC-area Maryland on the Rockville Pike. It's kind of slummy compared to most, though.

There are several in Montgomery County -- one right on Wisconsin Avenue.

A private German company, the same that owns the small Aldi grocery stores in Germany, owns Trade Joe's (and Save-a-lot or some other discount grocery store . . .).

Jennerstein 09-22-2008 05:52 AM

As a single bachelor, I patronize only two stores for my groceries, Costco and Trader Joes. I don't find Trader Joes expensive at all. After shopping at TJ, I always feel like I'm getting ripped off when I go to Albertsons or Ralphs. My favorite product that I buy? "An Apple Walks into A Bar" cereal bars, $1.69 for a pack of 6. They're like little apple pies; nutrigrain bars taste like cardboard in comparison. I bought some for a few coworkers, and now they're addicted too.