cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Palin bombs interview (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22387)

SoonerCoug 09-12-2008 02:56 AM

Palin bombs interview

BarbaraGordon 09-12-2008 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudphudCoug (Post 264529)

LOL!! Mudphud, you rock.

Tex 09-12-2008 02:59 AM

Let me guess ... you had that headline ready to go before seeing the interview.

BarbaraGordon 09-12-2008 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 264532)

In what respect, Charlie?

SoonerCoug 09-12-2008 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 264532)

I'd vote for you WAY before I'd vote for her, and I don't agree with your politics either. I just think there's a minimum intelligence level required for becoming VP or president.

Admit it. She's not qualified.

Tex 09-12-2008 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudphudCoug (Post 264534)
I'd vote for you WAY before I'd vote for her, and I don't agree with your politics either. I just think there's a minimum intelligence level required for becoming VP or president.

Admit it. She's not qualified.

You made up your mind when you first heard her name announced. There's no conversation here.

SoonerCoug 09-12-2008 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 264535)
You made up your mind when you first heard her name announced. There's no conversation here.

I made up my mind when I heard her talk and realized that she is an idiot. I thought she'd be exposed during the debates (and I still think she will be). I just didn't think she was really going to give an interview. I'm betting this is the last one for awhile.

To quote myself:
"Palin is going to be exposed during the debate with Biden, especially when she is asked questions that require knowledge."

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22190

Tex 09-12-2008 03:11 AM

Here's the whole 10-minute segment.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=5783816

SoonerCoug 09-12-2008 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 264538)
Here's the whole 10-minute segment.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=5783816

Question for you, Tex. Please answer. Do you think she knew about the Bush Doctrine? She obviously doesn't even read the newspaper.

She sounded like an idiot throughout the entire interview.

smokymountainrain 09-12-2008 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudphudCoug (Post 264540)
Question for you, Tex. Please answer. Do you think she knew about the Bush Doctrine? She obviously doesn't even read the newspaper.

How many people, republican or democrat, give a rats ass whether or not she knows about the Bush Doctrine.

BarbaraGordon 09-12-2008 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 264535)

That's ridiculous. Sooner likes girls. It may be hard to believe but he does. He even likes some Republicans. And he doesn't have anything against her name: I've heard him singing that one song by Starship dozens of times.

He just really really doesn't like dumb people.

BarbaraGordon 09-12-2008 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokymountainrain (Post 264541)
How many people, republican or democrat, give a rats ass whether or not she knows about the Bush Doctrine.

Well, it's kind of the defining principle of our entire foreign policy. Sort of a big deal.

SoonerCoug 09-12-2008 03:21 AM

And she was a total idiot on the Russia questions too. "You can see Russia from land here in Alaska." What the hell does that have to do with anything? She knows something about Russia because it can be seen from somewhere in Alaska??

She wants sanctions on Russia?? And she says "Russia was unprovoked." That's total BS. Imagine a scenario just across our border in northern Mexico where there had been ongoing conflict in the presence of our American peacekeepers, and our peacekeepers were killed by Mexican forces. We wouldn't take military action? Give me break.

"NUCULAR weapons."

You've got to be kidding me.

smokymountainrain 09-12-2008 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 264543)
Well, it's kind of the defining principle of our entire foreign policy. Sort of a big deal.

Don't get me wrong - they should care, I just don't think that interview is going to have any significant impact on voters one way or the other.

BarbaraGordon 09-12-2008 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokymountainrain (Post 264546)
Don't get me wrong - they should care, I just don't think that interview is going to have any significant impact on voters one way or the other.

oh. Now that's a horse of a different color.

Yeah, totally. The voters could care less whether she actually knows what foreign policy Bush or McCain will employ.

smokymountainrain 09-12-2008 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 264547)

Yeah, totally. The voters could care less whether she actually knows what foreign policy Bush or McCain will employ.

Are Bush and McCain going to employ the same foreign policy?

Two more questions...

Prior to that interview were you going to vote for McCain?

After that interview, have you changed your mind?

I didn't think so.

SoonerCoug 09-12-2008 03:40 AM

I thought Matt Damon's commentary was pretty entertaining. I'm citing him only for entertainment value, which is his profession.

"I need to know if she really thinks Dinosaurs were here four thousand years ago. I need to know that. I really do. Because she's going to have the nuclear codes."

BarbaraGordon 09-12-2008 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudphudCoug (Post 264550)
I thought Matt Damon's commentary was pretty entertaining. I'm citing him only for entertainment value, which is his profession.

I wish more of our political commentators looked like that.

UtahDan 09-12-2008 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokymountainrain (Post 264541)

I'm a Republican and I care. I think it is important to have a functional understanding of the core military and foreign policy doctrines we have employed in our relatively short history.

Our leaders should know what the Monroe Doctrine is, the Truman Doctrine, the Bush and Powell Doctrines and some of the other basics. Unless you know something about them you can't put what is in front of you into a larger context.

Now I don't think there is any doubt that McCain knows as much about these things as anyone. But Palin isn't ready to be President. It isn't even like Obama where you have this obviously large intellect that one imagines has absorbed these things quickly as a Senator. I am all done with dumb after GWB. I will give her the benefit of the doubt that she didn't pick up immediately that Gibson meant the military doctrine as opposed to his larger foreign policy, but that was very unimpressive. She wil need to redeem herself from that in my eyes.

All-American 09-12-2008 03:44 AM

I've heard worse from both candidates.

BarbaraGordon 09-12-2008 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokymountainrain (Post 264548)
Are Bush and McCain going to employ the same foreign policy?

Two more questions...

Prior to that interview were you going to vote for McCain?

After that interview, have you changed your mind?

I didn't think so.

The thingofit is that the undecided voters who switched to M/P with the announcement are already starting to drift back. This kind of thing won't help keep them in the fold.

BarbaraGordon 09-12-2008 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 264552)
I'm a Republican and I care. I think it is important to have a functional understanding of the core military and foreign policy doctrines we have employed in our relatively short history.

Our leaders should know what the Monroe Doctrine is, the Truman Doctrine, the Bush and Powell Doctrines and some of the other basics. Unless you know something about them you can't put what is in front of you into a larger context.

Now I don't think there is any doubt that McCain knows as much about these things as anyone. But Palin isn't ready to be President. It isn't even like Obama where you have this obviously large intellect that one imagines has absorbed these things quickly as a Senator. I am all done with dumb after GWB. I will give her the benefit of the doubt that she didn't pick up immediately that Gibson meant the military doctrine as opposed to his larger foreign policy, but that was very unimpressive. She wil need to redeem herself from that in my eyes.

UtahDan, I have to say that I really appreciate it when someone can set aside partisan-preference and just make an honest assessment. It's too rare anymore.

exUte 09-12-2008 03:56 AM

So let us ask an intellectual such as yourself......

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudphudCoug (Post 264540)

1) Do you believe in a pre-emptive strike?
2) Should Georgia be admitted into NATO?

exUte 09-12-2008 03:58 AM

That's exactly what has gone on

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudphudCoug (Post 264544)
And she was a total idiot on the Russia questions too. "You can see Russia from land here in Alaska." What the hell does that have to do with anything? She knows something about Russia because it can be seen from somewhere in Alaska??

She wants sanctions on Russia?? And she says "Russia was unprovoked." That's total BS. Imagine a scenario just across our border in northern Mexico where there had been ongoing conflict in the presence of our American peacekeepers, and our peacekeepers were killed by Mexican forces. We wouldn't take military action? Give me break.

"NUCULAR weapons."

You've got to be kidding me.

on the mexican border. Border agents but no peacekeepers. Dipschtick!

do you engage your brain before talking?

BarbaraGordon 09-12-2008 03:58 AM

yay! exUte is here!

Tex 09-12-2008 04:02 AM

The interview was a bit canned, but I think she handled herself decently. I don't think this thread is really interested in honest discussion, so I don't have much more to say on it, except ...

... if she really is as dumb as you all say, and McCain-Palin wins, that means you will have been beaten 3 times in a row by dumb people. Maybe your definition of dumb requires re-examination.

exUte 09-12-2008 04:03 AM

What is Ohbama's foreign policy

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 264547)

.....talk until you are red in the face or hold hands while singing cumbaya?

Look how well that worked with Clinton. remember he had Osama handed to him on a silver platter and he let him go. What kind of foreign policy is that? One that killed 3,000+ of our people. You and Ohbama try out your social experiment where the stakes aren't as high.

You and the Iranian president have something in common......you both want Ohbama. Nice company!

exUte 09-12-2008 04:04 AM

You wouldn't defend one of our NATO

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 264555)
Even crazier is when she says we would go to war with Russia if they invaded Ukraine after joining NATO. Look- even if it is true, you just can't say something like that.

That interview was a colossal disaster. I can't wait for more!

partners? Now, THAT is change.

SoonerCoug 09-12-2008 04:05 AM

Damn it ExUte. Stay out of my thread.

BarbaraGordon 09-12-2008 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 264568)
cumbaya

oh my gosh you're killing me.

exUte 09-12-2008 04:06 AM

Can't answer the questions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 264565)
yay! exUte is here!

I understand.

BarbaraGordon 09-12-2008 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 264567)
The interview was a bit canned, but I think she handled herself decently. I don't think this thread is really interested in honest discussion, so I don't have much more to say on it, except ...

... if she really is as dumb as you all say, and McCain-Palin wins, that means you will have been beaten 3 times in a row by dumb people. Maybe your definition of dumb requires re-examination.

that's what's so scary. This incarnation of the GOP is winning. What does that say about us?

exUte 09-12-2008 04:08 AM

Last time the Dems did win was solely

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 264567)

because of Ross Perot........twice. Lost to the cigarman.

BarbaraGordon 09-12-2008 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 264572)
Can't answer the questions?

yep. That's it. Intimidated by the towering intellect. I'm just a girl, after all. Where's Seattle when I need him?

Tex 09-12-2008 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 264573)
that's what's so scary. This incarnation of the GOP is winning. What does that say about us?

That you are a poor judge of smarts.

exUte 09-12-2008 04:10 AM

C'mon I assume you're as bright

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 264576)
yep. That's it. Intimidated by the towering intellect. I'm just a girl, after all. Where's Seattle when I need him?

as Palin, since you know about the Bush Doctrine, how would you have answered. Just curious.

BarbaraGordon 09-12-2008 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 264578)
as Palin, since you know about the Bush Doctrine, how would you have answered. Just curious.

well, it's a yes/no question, and I would have answered no.

SeattleUte 09-12-2008 04:14 AM

I don't think it's very often called "the Bush doctrine." I don't even think Bush cops to having a "Bush doctrine" such as Gibson defined it.

Tex 09-12-2008 04:15 AM

Ok, I'm a sucker. I'll give a semi-serious analysis. My thoughts:

1. She seemed nervous to me. She said "Charlie" too often, and sounded a little defensive.

2. She sounded a little canned, like she was trying to make the prepared answers fit the questions.

3. Gibson seemed just a wee bit condescending, though generally fair ... I read one commentator say he seemed like an impatient college president, which seems about right.

4. With the exception of flubbing the Bush Doctrine question, there was nothing really wrong with any of her responses. They weren't stellar, but they weren't bad either, no matter what the opposition says. It was a fairly unremarkable interview actually, much like the latter half of Obama-O'Reilly interview.

5. People seem to continually forget that she's running for the #2 spot, not #1. This will play to McCain's advantage, if Obama and Co. continue to focus on the bottom of the ticket.

My Expectations:

1. This was national security/foreign policy stuff, which she is probably weakest on. As soon as questions move to more familiar territory, I expect her to perform better.

2. This is her first of likely many interviews. I expect she'll be a quick study, and the next will be better than the first. She needs the prep for the VP debate and can use all the exposure to hostile media she can get.

3. People who draw broad conclusions about her intelligence based on a 10-minute interview covering about 6 questions had their minds made up before they watched. They discredit themselves by opening their mouths.

exUte 09-12-2008 04:16 AM

Ok. Let them attack us first and kill

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 264581)
well, it's a yes/no question, and I would have answered no.

thousands, then retaliate. I get it.