cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   My Letter of Resignation (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23170)

Anthesian 10-02-2008 04:36 PM

My Letter of Resignation

This letter was requested by my current stake president after a long 'talk' he called me in for. He didn't want to excommunicate me for my conviction so he asked for a letter of resignation and to state the reasons for it.

To the Local and General Leadership of the LDS Church:

It is with a heavy, broken heart and broken spirit that I must write this letter. I am informing the church of my request for the removal of my name from the records of the church.

I am requesting this action due to my grievances against current leadership’s policy concerning their gay and lesbian members. This has stemmed from the consistent teachings against homosexuality. I recognize the lack of understanding and the misconceptions on the behalf of the Brethren concerning this matter. In Boyd Packer’s talk to the all coordinating council he stated that the three greatest threats to the church are intellectuals, feminists and homosexuals. I am all three. Oddly, I don’t feel as though I’m a threat. I disagree with the denigration of homosexuals to second-class church members. I hold the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints responsible for the spiritual and ecclesiastical abuse inflicted on these faithful members. The church’s stand against them is out of harmony with the peace and justice found in Jesus Christ’s atonement. Any ‘moral’ standard that drives a member of the church to do harm to others or to themselves is NOT a moral standard. This can be observed in the suicides of gay and lesbian Latter-day Saints.

Another grievance that I have is the denigration of women. The Prophet Joseph Smith ordained women to offices of the priesthood because he believed that they were absolute equals in every form to men. Paul the apostle recognized Junia, a female apostle, in the final chapter of his letter to the Romans. The consolidation of power to a male authoritarianism is a grievous sin against the very daughters of God. In this same right, it is necessary to recognize and pay tribute to God the Mother. She is just as important to our theology as the Father. Without Her, we would not be here.

My next grievance is that of the ‘witch hunt’ against intellectuals and scholars. The excommunications of Margaret and Paul Toscano, Maxine Hanks, D. Michael Quinn, Avraham Gileadi, Lavina Anderson, and Janice Allred, etc. were unnecessary. In their literary works, they gave a message of individual faith and spiritual progression. These men and women are the promulgators of individual thought and spiritual enlightenment. To them, I pay tribute for inspiring me to stand by my convictions and be unapologetic.

Finally, the white-washing of history to promote current church policy and dogma is the heresy. As many have said before, the church is what needs to be saved.

I love this church and I will continue to defend it through out my life. It is my history and my heritage. I pray for a day when there can be reconciliation. I pray for a day when peace and social justice break down the viral infections of elitism, authoritarianism, the oligarchy, narcissism and arrogance. I pray that the leadership of the church will bless and promote the individual spiritual journeys of each of its members. May we heed the counsel of President Stephen Veazey of the Community of Christ:

10 a. Collectively and individually, you are loved with an everlasting love that delights in each faithful step taken. God yearns to draw you close so that wounds may be healed, emptiness filled, and hope strengthened.

b. Do not turn away in pride, fear, or guilt from the One who seeks only the best for you and your loved ones. Come before your Eternal Creator with open minds and hearts and discover the blessings of the gospel anew. Be vulnerable to divine grace. (Community of Christ Doctrine & Covenants Section 163: 10a-b)

MikeWaters 10-02-2008 04:38 PM

Have you sent it?

Indy Coug 10-02-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

...for my conviction
Are you talking about legal troubles (conviction) or religious and political beliefs (convictions)?

ute4ever 10-02-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 273513)
Are you talking about legal troubles (conviction) or religious and political beliefs (convictions)?

Classy

Indy Coug 10-02-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 273515)
Classy

I've never heard someone refer to their moral/religious convictions in the singular before. You can be ex'ed for certain crimes, so I thought I'd ask.

Anthesian 10-02-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 273512)
Have you sent it?

It is being sent out today.

Anthesian 10-02-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 273513)

Religious and political of course.

Anthesian 10-02-2008 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 273517)
I've never heard someone refer to their moral/religious convictions in the singular before. You can be ex'ed for certain crimes, so I thought I'd ask.

I can understand your confusion. Maybe I just have poor english.

Indy Coug 10-02-2008 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthesian (Post 273521)
I can understand your confusion. Maybe I just have poor english.

Is English not your native tongue? I'm not trying to bust your chops, I'm just trying to get a better idea of your background and where you're coming from.

MikeWaters 10-02-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthesian (Post 273518)
It is being sent out today.

Maybe you should hand deliver it to the Stake President's home.

I hate these formal official arm's length transactions, certified letter stuff.

Anthesian 10-02-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 273522)
Is English not your native tongue? I'm not trying to bust your chops, I'm just trying to get a better idea of your background and where you're coming from.

I didn't get the idea that you were but thank you for clarifying nonetheless. Maybe I will make the revision so as to better portray my message. Thanks Indy.

Anthesian 10-02-2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 273523)
Maybe you should hand deliver it to the Stake President's home.

I hate these formal official arm's length transactions, certified letter stuff.

That is a good idea. However, either way I will be spending money. The 42 cents for a stamp or money for gas to drive the 15 minutes to his house. Sweet Jesus! What is a heretic to do? LOL;)

Tex 10-02-2008 05:11 PM

You say you love the church in your letter, which I'm sure is sincere. I could name several foundational doctrines, however, that your grievances are fundamentally at odds with.

Perhaps you could take a moment and tell us what doctrines and practices of the church there are that you love?

SoCalCoug 10-02-2008 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 273534)
You say you love the church in your letter, which I'm sure is sincere. I could name several foundational doctrines, however, that your grievances are fundamentally at odds with.

Perhaps you could take a moment and tell us what doctrines and practices of the church there are that you love?

Boy Scouts, Girl's Camp, Stake basketball.

ute4ever 10-02-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Hint: he has his fingers crossed hoping you'll say Mitt Romney.

TripletDaddy 10-02-2008 05:23 PM

Quote:

Ha...Look at Tex.....all of a sudden he thinks it is okay to play the role of Katie Couric.

Anthesian, DONT ANSWER! Don't play Tex's little quiz show.

Name 5 doctrines and practices of the Church you love.....Go!

Anthesian 10-02-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

I love the centrality and importance of the family life. As I said before, I'm not creedal but I respect and admire the 13 Articles of Faith as a neutral ground for foundational beliefs of the LDS church. I love the act of proxy baptism and proxy endowment. I see it as an offering in the spirit of humility and compassion. I admire the faithfulness of members to the building up of Zion and promoting communities of peace. I love the teachings on humility, endurance, perseverance, and charity. I love the consistent respect despite differences and disagreement.

I gotta get to my public speaking class...I will try to think of more.

MikeWaters 10-02-2008 05:26 PM

kind of off-subject a little bit, but when you are excommunicated are you prohibited from wearing garments?

Anthesian 10-02-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 273547)
kind of off-subject a little bit, but when you are excommunicated are you prohibited from wearing garments?

I'm supposed to stop wearing them but they can't tell me what underwear to wear. But I can't go buy any once my membership is canceled. I have stopped wearing them. Not because I don't believe in the covenants I personally made but because it is part of the act of separation.

TripletDaddy 10-02-2008 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthesian (Post 273691)
I'm supposed to stop wearing them but they can't tell me what underwear to wear. But I can't go buy any once my membership is canceled. I have stopped wearing them. Not because I don't believe in the covenants I personally made but because it is part of the act of separation.

Anthesian, sorry, but you are boring. You are posting long manifestos and talkng about your underwear.

Can we speak to Kyle instead?

SteelBlue 10-02-2008 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 273702)

Ah, that's right, now I remember this Anthesian dude. Sheesh, it wasn't even that long ago, my memory just isn't what it used to be.

il Padrino Ute 10-02-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 273704)
Ah, that's right, now I remember this Anthesian dude. Sheesh, it wasn't even that long ago, my memory just isn't what it used to be.

:confused:

Anthesian 10-02-2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 273702)
Anthesian, sorry, but you are boring. You are posting long manifestos and talkng about your underwear.

You're obviously a bright one, brother. Someone asked a question and I answered it. Maybe we should practice our 'religion' and lay down the animosity, cynicism, narcissism and arrogance that we know Christ wouldn't promote.

Peace to you my brother in Christ!

TripletDaddy 10-02-2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 273704)

Kyle is the gay ASU student who lives with his boyfriend. One is a fan of BYU, the other a fan of the U. They sit on the couch and watch football together.

Anthesian wants to talk about sacraments, convenants, racism, orthopraxy...yawn.

Jeff Lebowski 10-02-2008 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthesian (Post 273708)
You're obviously a bright one, brother. Someone asked a question and I answered it. Maybe we should practice our 'religion' and lay down the animosity, cynicism, narcissism and arrogance that we know Christ wouldn't promote.

Peace to you my brother in Christ!

Don't forget deception.

Anthesian 10-02-2008 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 273709)
Kyle is the gay ASU student who lives with his boyfriend. One is a fan of BYU, the other a fan of the U. They sit on the couch and watch football together.

Anthesian wants to talk about sacraments, convenants, racism, orthopraxy...yawn.

Is this not a religious studies forum or did I misread the title? Let me hit my back button for a moment...I must be on some kind of drug. :mrgreen:

Anthesian 10-02-2008 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 273711)
Don't forget deception.

I have taken responsibility for my actions. It is odd how social outcasting no matter the circumstances still extends into a non church setting. I'm glad I'm not like that. Wait a minute... I forgot! I don't buy the 'woman caught in adultery' principle. I was actually hoping Christ would step aside and let those men stone her to death. How about you? It sounds like a much more interesting and action packed ending!

Peace

il Padrino Ute 10-02-2008 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthesian (Post 273714)
I have taken responsibility for my actions. It is odd how social outcasting no matter the circumstances still extends into a non church setting. I'm glad I'm not like that. Wait a minute... I forgot! I don't buy the 'woman caught in adultery' principle. I was actually hoping Christ would step aside and let those men stone her to death. How about you? It sounds like a much more interesting and action packed ending!

Peace

That went right over your head, didn't it, Kyle, Dave, whoever you are.

TripletDaddy 10-02-2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthesian (Post 273712)
Is this not a religious studies forum or did I misread the title? Let me hit my back button for a moment...I must be on some kind of drug. :mrgreen:

The problem isn't your message, it's your delivery.

The "Anthesian" vehicle is tired and ineffective. You need to come back with someone more interesting.

For example, yesterday a young chap named "Steadsera" popped in for a spell. He had a lot of interesting things to say before he eventually left. You could learn a little bit from his technique.

Anthesian 10-02-2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 273715)
That went right over your head, didn't it, Kyle, Dave, whoever you are.

Obviously you missed something friend.

Peace

il Padrino Ute 10-02-2008 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthesian (Post 273718)
Obviously you missed something friend.

Peace

Admittedly, I have trouble with the merely obvious.

Archaea 10-02-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthesian (Post 273714)

Peace

Once a deceiver, always a deceiver. How can we know?

The line, "hey, I know I lied, cheated and deceived you the last couple of times, but this time I'm not a lying, conniving fool," doesn't work.

Famous axiom, "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."

I bet Kyle wears funkier clothing than you.

Archaea 10-02-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 273719)

you're a ute after all, that cannot be denied.

il Padrino Ute 10-02-2008 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 273722)
you're a ute after all, that cannot be denied.

:confused:

Anthesian 10-02-2008 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 273720)
Once a deceiver, always a deceiver. How can we know?

The line, "hey, I know I lied, cheated and deceived you the last couple of times, but this time I'm not a lying, conniving fool," doesn't work.

Famous axiom, "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."

I bet Kyle wears funkier clothing than you.

Then abide by that principle as you say I must. If you have ever stolen you are a thief for life. If you have ever lied you are a lier for life. If you have ever thought of committing adultery you are an adulterer. The rules you apply to me stand for you just the same. I take responsibility for my misgivings of the past but are you willing to do the same? If not, don't lecture me or anyone else.

Anthesian 10-02-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 273719)

Too bad.

Peace

creekster 10-02-2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthesian (Post 273726)
Then abide by that principle as you say I must. If you have ever stolen you are a thief for life. If you have ever lied you are a lier for life. If you have ever thought of committing adultery you are an adulterer. The rules you apply to me stand for you just the same. I take responsibility for my misgivings of the past but are you willing to do the same? If not, don't lecture me or anyone else.

Triplet says you are too boring. I tend to lean to the overly self-absorbed explanation myself. The truth is in there somewhere.

TripletDaddy 10-02-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthesian (Post 273726)

If what you are saying is true, Archaea will never pay for his lunch again.

Archaea 10-02-2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 273731)
If what you are saying is true, Archaea will never pay for his lunch again.

That's what Obama is for, everybody gets a free lunch!

Tex 10-02-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 273717)
The "Anthesian" vehicle is tired and ineffective. You need to come back with someone more interesting.

Preferably someone who uses the word "virtuoso" a lot. Triplet and Cali need a 3rd amigo.