cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The ultimate grilled cheese sandwich (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23799)

FarrahWaters 10-19-2008 08:33 PM

The ultimate grilled cheese sandwich

What is in your perfect grilled cheese sandwich?

If you have a bag of miso kicking around in your fridge, try this. Spread a little miso on both sides of whole-grain bread, butter the other side. Add your favorite cheddar, and some tomato and basil if you want. Toast it butter side down in a frying pan. Sounds weird, but it's really good.

ute4ever 10-19-2008 08:37 PM

An idea I copied from the Food Network is to buy a freshly baked loaf of French bread, cut it in half and invert it so that the crust is in the middle, load your cheeses and put it into a panini press. The crust soaks up the cheese oils and softens.

YOhio 10-19-2008 08:49 PM

Miso on a grilled cheese? Sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot sometime.

I like two different kinds of grilled cheese sandwiches. If I'm dipping it in tomato soup, then I just get cheddar on an artisan country loaf or sourdough and put a thin tomato slice in the middle. Very traditional.

The other one I like to make is to use rye bread, asiago, sharp cheddar, provolone, grated parmesan, banana peppers, tomato and a little horseradish. Grill that baby up and it's delicious.

landpoke 10-20-2008 02:34 PM

Two slices of white bread
Three slices Kraft individually wrapped singles
Butter

cougjunkie 10-20-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 281688)
Butter

Amen to that.

Flystripper 10-20-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 281459)
What is in your perfect grilled cheese sandwich?

If you have a bag of miso kicking around in your fridge, try this. Spread a little miso on both sides of whole-grain bread, butter the other side. Add your favorite cheddar, and some tomato and basil if you want. Toast it butter side down in a frying pan. Sounds weird, but it's really good.

I love habanero or jalapeno jelly on my grilled cheese.

TripletDaddy 10-20-2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flystripper (Post 281768)

That sounds disgusting.

And by disgusting, I mean absolutely, must-try-ASAP delicious!

Where do you get jalapeno jelly?

Jeff Lebowski 10-20-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flystripper (Post 281768)

What do you know? A kindred spirit.

FarrahWaters 10-20-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 281688)
Butter

You and my husband are so alike.

Flystripper 10-20-2008 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 281771)
That sounds disgusting.

We have a few sources. Every farmers market I have been to in SoCal seem to have somebody selling it. I always pick up a jar when I see it. My mil makes some with peppers from her garden every year. I would bet that whole foods or Bristol Farms sells some but I am not sure.

Another good treat is a sesame cracker bread with cream cheese and pepper jelly. I love this snack during football games, but I usually end up eating way too much cream cheese than what would be recommended for good health.

Surfah 10-20-2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 281694)
Amen to that.

x2.

Didn't know there was another way. You can tell who grew up poor or not.

ERCougar 10-20-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

That sounds disgusting.

Is it that hard to find? It seems like I've seen it at most grocery stores.

cougjunkie 10-20-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfah (Post 281862)
x2.

Didn't know there was another way. You can tell who grew up poor or not.

Exactly, in fact I would toast my bread, put some butter on it, put the cheese in the middle and microwave it for 30 seconds.

A frying pan for a grilled cheese? Are you kidding me?

landpoke 10-20-2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 281938)
Exactly, in fact I would toast my bread, put some butter on it, put the cheese in the middle and microwave it for 30 seconds.

A frying pan for a grilled cheese? Are you kidding me?

Whoa nelly, what you are proposing isn't even in the same realm of taste as a pan fried sammich.

As an aside, we always referred to them as toasted cheese sammiches in our house.

Surfah 10-20-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 281963)
Whoa nelly, what you are proposing isn't even in the same realm of taste as a pan fried sammich.

As an aside, we always referred to them as toasted cheese sandwiches in our house.

Shouldn't that be toasted cheese sammiches?

TripletDaddy 10-20-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 281963)

As an aside, we always referred to them as toasted cheese sandwiches in our house.

interesting that of all the incarnations of grilled cheese sandwich (toaster, frying pan, microwave) none of them involve cooking the sandwich on a grill.

landpoke 10-20-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 281966)
interesting that of all the incarnations of grilled cheese sandwich (toaster, frying pan, microwave) none of them involve cooking the sandwich on a grill.

My passionate argument that toasted is the more appropriate label rather than grilled is what won my wife's heart for me. She still says grilled, but mostly out of habit.

And Surfah's right, sammiches it is.

TripletDaddy 10-20-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 281970)
My passionate argument that toasted is the more appropriate label rather than grilled is what won my wife's heart for me. She still says grilled, but mostly out of habit.

And Surfah's right, sammiches it is.

your wife is up in the night. if something is cooked in a pan, it is not toasted.

You would be correct to call them fried cheese sammiches. Or seared cheese sammiches.

I think we can both agree that "grilled" is not the correct term of art.

landpoke 10-20-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 281976)
your wife is up in the night. if something is cooked in a pan, it is not toasted.

You would be correct to call them fried cheese sammiches. Or seared cheese sammiches.

I think we can both agree that "grilled" is not the correct term of art.

Listen dude, I used a dictionary and everything. The bread, by whatever method, reaches a state of toastyness and is thus toasted.

Agreed, grilled is wrong.

TripletDaddy 10-20-2008 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 281979)
Listen dude, I used a dictionary and everything. The bread, by whatever method, reaches a state of toastyness and is thus toasted.

Agreed, grilled is wrong.

Perhaps we should just keep it simple and call them Maillard convection cheese sammiches.

landpoke 10-20-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 281987)
Perhaps we should just keep it simple and call them Maillard convection cheese sammiches.

Wouldn't it be more correct to call them Maillard REACTION cheese sammiches?

il Padrino Ute 10-20-2008 10:38 PM

The youngest boy just calls them melted cheese sandwiches.

TripletDaddy 10-20-2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 281989)
Wouldn't it be more correct to call them Maillard REACTION cheese sammiches?

good point. it has been years, so cut me some slack.

Isnt reaction the entire process? convection is the movement of heat to cook the bread?

Look, the point is that they aren't grilled and we seem to both be on the same page on that one.

landpoke 10-20-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 281994)
good point. it has been years, so cut me some slack.

Isnt reaction the entire process? convection is the movement of heat to cook the bread?

Look, the point is that they aren't grilled and we seem to both be on the same page on that one.

No, we need to nit pick this down to the bloody stumps damnit.

As to your question, I have no idea. I had to look it up after you posted it.

TripletDaddy 10-20-2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 281995)
No, we need to nit pick this down to the bloody stumps damnit.

As to your question, I have no idea. I had to look it up after you posted it.

I cant remember which chem class it was, but the lab guy shows up with all this food and he tells us that we are going to learn about maillard convection (maybe it was reaction, like i said....it has been over a decade). We made toast, biscuits and had a nice little snack.

I have no idea who maillard is.

mpfunk 10-21-2008 04:38 AM

Quote:

That sounds disgusting.

Why in the hell would you waste your time with jalapeno jelly when there is habanero jelly. What are you some sort of spice wussy.

BlueHair 11-12-2008 04:22 AM

I like Colby-Jack cheese with Del Taco Scorcho sauce. The cheese and scorcho melted on buttery bread is delicious.

BlueHair 11-12-2008 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 294071)
I like Colby-Jack cheese with Del Taco Scorcho sauce. The cheese and scorcho melted on buttery bread is delicious.

I forgot to add that I eat it with my special Ramen noodle recipe:

Boil two cups of water, noodles, and a chili pepper
When noodles are done, stir in an egg, and boil until done

This is one of my favorite meals. It's not only delicious, but costs under a dollar!

BarbaraGordon 11-12-2008 04:37 AM

I loathe grilled cheese. I haven't had one in probably ten years.

ute4ever 11-12-2008 08:49 AM

It goes great with spam casserole.

Surfah 11-12-2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 294089)
I loathe grilled cheese. I haven't had one in probably ten years.

You don't make it for your kids?

The other night when I came home late from work two little triangles remained from my daughter's grilled cheese sandwich. So I promptly popped them in my mouth and ate them. My daughter came back into the dining room a half hour later to find the rest of her dinner eaten and started wailing. I had to make her a bean burrito.

Gidget 11-12-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfah (Post 294144)
You don't make it for your kids?

The other night when I came home late from work two little triangles remained from my daughter's grilled cheese sandwich. So I promptly popped them in my mouth and ate them. My daughter came back into the dining room a half hour later to find the rest of her dinner eaten and started wailing. I had to make her a bean burrito.

Actually Surf - it wasn't a bean burrito. You just filled it with chili from your own bowl, that is how poor we are.

However, I don't truly think certain foods reflect economic status. Once when I was in high school I was at a friends house and they had Sloppy Joes for dinner. I made the comment that I had never eaten Sloppy Joes before. My friend's rude aunt replied, "Well your family must have been a lot more rich than this one!" I actually grew up lower middle class, no doubt about it. And I have never eaten more Sloppy Joes than I have in the past 3 months living with my husband's parents, who are easily making more than 3 times the amount my parents ever will.

Gidget 11-12-2008 06:02 PM

P.S. Sloppy Joes are very gross, and although my family might have been crudely "not rich" I am glad my parents never subjected me to such atrocious cuisine.

Mrs. Funk 11-12-2008 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 294284)
P.S. Sloppy Joes are very gross, and although my family might have been crudely "not rich" I am glad my parents never subjected me to such atrocious cuisine.

Not all sloppy joes are created equal. Manwiches, to be sure, are vile and probably what they fed the Manticore on Star Wars.

ute4ever 11-12-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk (Post 294288)
Not all sloppy joes are created equal. Manwiches, to be sure, are vile and probably what they fed the Manticore on Star Wars.

Is there a different way to make sloppy joes other than adding tomato sauce to ground beef?

One suggestion:
-Instead of ground beef, use chicken breast
-Instead of tomato sauce, use alfredo sauce
-Instead of spooning it onto a bun, mix it with spinach alfredo

I call it a sloppy guiseppi

Mrs. Funk 11-12-2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 294294)
Is there a different way to make sloppy joes other than adding tomato sauce to ground beef?

One suggestion:

Hahaha... well, I don't actually add that much tomato sauce to my sloppy joes and instead use more Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and other more appetizing fillers.

Your suggestion does sound excellent, though. ;)

il Padrino Ute 11-12-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 294294)

One suggestion:

giuseppi, actually.

the "i" makes the "g" soft so it is pronouncd joo-SEP-pee

Spelled "guiseppi" the "g" is hard so it is pronounced gwee-SEP-pee.

Just thought you'd like to know.

BlueHair 11-13-2008 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 294284)

What? I love sloppy joes provided they aren't soggy. I can't do the soggy bun thing.

TripletDaddy 11-13-2008 04:09 AM

the reason sloppy joes are gross are because they contain ground beef. which is gross.

Gidget, I agree that certain foods do not necessarily indicate economic status. There is a very famous restaurant in NYC, Union Square Cafe (coincidentally USC!)......specializes in comfort food at outrageous prices....meatloaf, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, chicken noodle soup, etc..

Those things are still classics.

Also, I love going to a nice taco stand in East LA and having dinner for $5....6 al pastor tacos and a pina or an horchata.

I will pass on the Sucio Jose, though. Thanks.

il Padrino Ute 11-13-2008 04:29 AM

[quote=TripletDaddy;294699]the reason sloppy joes are gross are because they contain ground beef. which is gross./quote]

Do you not like burgers?