cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Steve Young against Prop 8 (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24192)

Jeff Lebowski 11-01-2008 03:08 AM

Steve Young against Prop 8

In case you missed it:

http://cbs5.com/politics/steve.young....2.853885.html

As you can imagine, there is weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth over on CB.

I always liked Steve. Good for him.

CardiacCoug 11-01-2008 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 287574)
In case you missed it:

As you can imagine, there is weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth over on CB.

Yeah, good for Steve. Sounds like this is more his wife's thing, but at least Steve is reasonable enough to go along with it.

Jeff Lebowski 11-01-2008 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardiacCoug (Post 287578)
Yeah, good for Steve. Sounds like this is more his wife's thing, but at least Steve is reasonable enough to go along with it.

I am not sure I buy that, but it doesn't matter. Either way it is a huge gesture and I am sure it will generate controversy. They must feel pretty strongly about it. That took a lot of guts.

SeattleUte 11-01-2008 03:38 AM

Quote:

In case you missed it:

Is BYU going to yank his degree?

hyrum 11-01-2008 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 287589)

Don't be surprised if he suddenly disappears from the byu hall of fame.

landpoke 11-01-2008 03:52 AM

He's still gay, correct? I mean this whole wife thing is like a big "Yeah, right!"

landpoke 11-01-2008 03:55 AM

Sorry, wrong board.

il Padrino Ute 11-01-2008 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 287594)
Sorry, wrong board.

I laughed.

I would have mentioned something, but YOhio is already mad enough at me today.

BlueHair 11-01-2008 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 287593)
He's still gay, correct? I mean this whole wife thing is like a big "Yeah, right!"

I think so. I hear he is still dating Troy Aikman.

Jeff Lebowski 11-01-2008 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 287589)

That's interesting that you and hyrum would see this as a chance to take a shot at BYU. Surely your thinking isn't that one-dimensional, is it?

SeattleUte 11-01-2008 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 287599)
That's interesting that you and hyrum would see this as a chance to take a shot at BYU. Surely your thinking isn't that one-dimensional, is it?

What a cheap shot lumping me in with Hyrum.

Look, BYU yanks a guy's degree for something he wrote, BYU deserves endless ridicule. BYU has disgraced itself. Don't get me started.

Why wouldn't they take him out of the Hall of Fame? You think that's far fetched? I don't.

Cali Coug 11-01-2008 04:27 AM

Quote:

In case you missed it:

Good for him. A brave stand.

YOhio 11-01-2008 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 287595)
I laughed.

I would have mentioned something, but YOhio is already mad enough at me today.

Don't try to guilt trip me from pointing out your raging BYU obsession.

LA Ute 11-01-2008 04:36 AM

Quote:

I don't think this is about BYU. It's about Steve Young. Quite a finger in the eye of the First Presidency, no matter how you look at it. And I had actually come to like and respect the guy! No longer. But I guess this gives Seattle and a few others here cause for glee.

il Padrino Ute 11-01-2008 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 287607)
Don't try to guilt trip me from pointing out your raging BYU obsession.

Raging? No.

Smoldering? I could agree.

PaloAltoCougar 11-01-2008 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA Ute (Post 287609)
I don't think this is about BYU. It's about Steve Young. Quite a finger in the eye of the First Presidency, no matter how you look at it. And I had actually come to like and respect the guy! No longer. But I guess this gives Seattle and a few others here cause for glee.

I understand the disappointment, but I don't think the damage to the Church or the Prop. 8 cause is all that bad. It's his wife who has done the talking; Steve seems to be a go-along, and when asked to comment, he declined. In my ceaseless quest for silver linings, I see some value in the fact that Mormons will be seen as having different, if respectful, views on the ballot measure. Personally, I'd be troubled by any religion that could generate unanimity among its members with respect to a general election.

il Padrino Ute 11-01-2008 04:49 AM

Did anyone else notice that the other former Bay Area pro-athlete who has acknowledged that he is against Prop 8 is a Mormon as well?

Indy Coug 11-01-2008 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar (Post 287616)
It's his wife who has done the talking; Steve seems to be a go-along, and when asked to comment, he declined.

Steve knows all too well how hard it is to land one, so he's not about to go fishing again.

BlueHair 11-01-2008 04:58 AM

Quote:

You don't like him because he put a sign in his window?

Jeff Lebowski 11-01-2008 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 287604)
What a cheap shot lumping me in with Hyrum.

Look, BYU yanks a guy's degree for something he wrote, BYU deserves endless ridicule. BYU has disgraced itself. Don't get me started.

Yes, they do. But this story goes far beyond BYU. Actually, it has nothing to do with BYU, other than he is a BYU grad. I would have thought you would have had a comment on Steve's motivation here. How courageous a stand this is, perhaps. Certainly, this will taint how members view him for a while at least. But no, your first reaction is to take a potshot at BYU. That's quite an obsession you have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 287604)
Why wouldn't they take him out of the Hall of Fame? You think that's far fetched? I don't.

Not a chance.

HuskyFreeNorthwest 11-01-2008 05:00 AM

Off Topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 287597)
I think so. I hear he is still dating Troy Aikman.

I just finished reading Boys Will Be Boys, by Jeff Pearlman. He spent about 2 pages ripping Skip Bayless apart for what a horrible "journalist" he was for making the Aikman is gay claim in his (Skip's) Hell Bent book.

Would an Aikman/Young marriage make them the first family of football?

BlueHair 11-01-2008 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar (Post 287616)
I understand the disappointment, but I don't think the damage to the Church or the Prop. 8 cause is all that bad. It's his wife who has done the talking; Steve seems to be a go-along, and when asked to comment, he declined. In my ceaseless quest for silver linings, I see some value in the fact that Mormons will be seen as having different, if respectful, views on the ballot measure. Personally, I'd be troubled by any religion that could generate unanimity among its members with respect to a general election.

He needs to put his wife in her place. Shouldn't she be cooking or cleaning or something? What gives her, a woman, the right to be the family spokesperson?

TripletDaddy 11-01-2008 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 287621)
Did anyone else notice that the other former Bay Area pro-athlete who has acknowledged that he is against Prop 8 is a Mormon as well?

Jeff Kent? It says that he donated $15K to ban gay marriage, no?

BlueHair 11-01-2008 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 287633)

Kent is for Prop 8.

PaloAltoCougar 11-01-2008 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 287621)

Are you talking about Jeff Kent? Brother Kent is outspoken in his support for Prop. 8. It would be interesting if he still played for the Giants.

PaloAltoCougar 11-01-2008 05:05 AM

Okay, so we're agreed Jeff Kent is pro Prop 8.

TripletDaddy 11-01-2008 05:05 AM

Quote:

You no longer like or respect someone because, in your eyes, they are sinning?

Enjoy the beam in your eye, amigo.

TripletDaddy 11-01-2008 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar (Post 287636)
Okay, so we're agreed Jeff Kent is pro Prop 8.

My reading of that link is that kent donated money to ban gay marriage. Seems pretty clear.

Let's stop trying to lump Kent in with clear Church antagonists....guys like Morris Thurston....

BlueHair 11-01-2008 05:06 AM

I don't think a vote against Prop 8 is a vote for gay marriage. There are many things that I am personally against, but feel should be legal.

il Padrino Ute 11-01-2008 05:12 AM

Quote:

I misread that.

Then it's interesting that the article didn't point out that he is a Mormon.

exUte 11-01-2008 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 287641)
I don't think a vote against Prop 8 is a vote for gay marriage. There are many things that I am personally against, but feel should be legal.

So sit idly by? Will you ever stake a stand on anything? By not supporting Prop 8 you are clearly in opposition to the first presidency. Pretty slippery ground.

:rolleyes:

Jeff Lebowski 11-01-2008 05:15 AM

I realize that CB is a nuthouse, but the speed with which they organized a Steve Young lynch mob tonight is astounding. He went from demigod to devil in the blink of an eye. The quantity and intensity of the hateful statements are incredible. What a train wreck.

BlueHair 11-01-2008 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 287650)
So sit idly by? Will you ever stake a stand on anything? By not supporting Prop 8 you are clearly in opposition to the first presidency. Pretty slippery ground.

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure what it means to "stake a stand". :)

My stand is that I don't want to let my personal beliefs be the cause of descrimination. I believe drugs can be harmful, but I believe a person should be able to take them if they so choose. It is their body, not the state's. I am against adultery, but don't want adulterers to be put in jail for it. I'm not a fan of prostitution, but if you've got a hot body, like sex, and want to make money doing it, go ahead. Marrying a dude doesn't sound appealing to me, but if you want to, fine. None of these things cause me any harm. I don't think God is going to smite me because of something someone else does.

CardiacCoug 11-01-2008 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 287653)
I realize that CB is a nuthouse, but the speed with which they organized a Steve Young lynch mob tonight is astounding. He went from demigod to devil in the blink of an eye. The quantity and intensity of the hateful statements are incredible. What a train wreck.

Yeah, crazy huh? My trolling post about him ending up with Jim McMahon in the Telestial Kingdom fit right in. Two guys told me I shouldn't judge (but didn't catch the sarcasm), but the rest of them said that Steve could still repent and be OK.

There's never a consideration from the mullahs that maybe Steve is correct on this. Or that maybe he is wrong but that God is OK with each of his children using his brain to make his own decisions without being blind followers.

One of the things I like about CB is that it continuously reinforces the superiority of my world view to the ignorant one of the CB mullahs. (How's that for a condescending statement? But it's the truth.)

PaloAltoCougar 11-01-2008 05:43 AM

Quote:

If he achieved Beelzebub status by responding, "I don't wish to comment," imagine if he'd actually said something.

exUte 11-01-2008 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 287670)
I'm not sure what it means to "stake a stand". :)

My stand is that I don't want to let my personal beliefs be the cause of descrimination. I believe drugs can be harmful, but I believe a person should be able to take them if they so choose. It is their body, not the state's. I am against adultery, but don't want adulterers to be put in jail for it. I'm not a fan of prostitution, but if you've got a hot body, like sex, and want to make money doing it, go ahead. Marrying a dude doesn't sound appealing to me, but if you want to, fine. None of these things cause me any harm. I don't think God is going to smite me because of something someone else does.

I'll be sure to share you post with one of my former scouts who is in prison.....you see, he is a sociopath.......and has committed numerous crimes. Fetal alchohol syndrome. His mother took drugs and alchohol.....because she chose! Prostitution is a victimless crime just like adultery?

Yeah, the Lord needs more folks like you to sit by while others who will not sit idly by determine the future of our country. :rolleyes:

BlueHair 11-01-2008 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 287685)
I'll be sure to share you post with one of my former scouts who is in prison.....you see, he is a sociopath.......and has committed numerous crimes. Fetal alchohol syndrome. His mother took drugs and alchohol.....because she chose! Prostitution is a victimless crime just like adultery?

Yeah, the Lord needs more folks like you to sit by while others who will not sit idly by determine the future of our country. :rolleyes:

I am not arrogant enough to think that God needs me. God shouldn't need any of us.

Are you saying you want to ban alcohol because some dumb lady drank while she was pregnant? Sure, there are plenty of people that will do dumb things. I don't have a problem with someone drinking, but, if they drink and drive, they should be held responsible. Surely, you can see the difference.

Prostitution is just getting paid for sex. If you are going to commit adultery, why not at least get paid for it?

8ballrollin 11-01-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Future HOFr Jeff Kent?

Sleeping in EQ 11-01-2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Those guys on CB have forgotten the bit about "what judgment ye mete."

exUte 11-01-2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 287698)
I am not arrogant enough to think that God needs me. God shouldn't need any of us.

Are you saying you want to ban alcohol because some dumb lady drank while she was pregnant? Sure, there are plenty of people that will do dumb things. I don't have a problem with someone drinking, but, if they drink and drive, they should be held responsible. Surely, you can see the difference.

Prostitution is just getting paid for sex. If you are going to commit adultery, why not at least get paid for it?

Just pointing out the obvious. All these vices/crimes affect more than simply the one engaged in the activity.......which you said was the case.

You're right. God doesn't need you with a cavalier attitude like that. I'm hoping you are either TICing or don't have any kids. :rolleyes: