cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   What should this site be? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   This place will still exist (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24721)

MikeWaters 11-14-2008 11:59 PM

This place will still exist

For the very small band of travelers that may have elected to stay here, I salute you.

We will continue to soldier on. I am not 'taken unaware' of these developments. I was informed of them by a source that will remain anonymous, and took no action either in favor or against them.

I have a particular, unique, singular vision for this site. Particular, unique, singular visions don't happen by committee. They start with a single person.

Having said that, I've always had a history of collaborating with people here. I've always had a history of putting other peoples' needs before my own.

Evidence of this is in my allowing advertisement for a 'competing site', which was posted without a single person asking me if it was ok.

In a sense, this new offshoot site 'CUF' is a continuation of my old ideas. As they say, the best form of flattery is imitation. But I will not be a participant there.

I have plans for THIS site, which I have been mulling over for many months. I am in discussions with the 'Assistant to the Regional Manager' as we formulate how to put these ideas into action.

You know, I posted earlier that I only wanted people here that are willing to suffer. I really did mean that. But I didn't mean "suffer" as some of you may have thought. I mean "suffer" in the way of building something that is a radical departure from the typical message board. I didn't think it would be possible to make these changes with our current construction and membership.

If, after all this time, in getting to know me and my ideas, you believe that I might have something to offer, that will get you excited about what is possible *in life*, then stick around.

If that is only me and Archaea, then that will be plenty to get started. We invented the concepts around "Cougarguard", and we are inventing "Cougarguard 2.0" right now. The first order of business will be to see who is still around, and that will give us an idea of our resources.

I'm very excited about this and hope you will join me.

Archaea 11-15-2008 12:07 AM

The new ideas will have meaning and value, at least for me, and more probably for Mike. It is worthwhile for me.

MikeWaters 11-15-2008 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 295200)
The new ideas will have meaning and value, at least for me, and more probably for Mike. It is worthwhile for me.

Thanks for being a true friend. But if you decide this is not for you, your gesture of support will never change that fact.

SoCalCoug 11-15-2008 01:02 AM

I'm very interested to see what form CougarGuard 2.0 will take. Assuming I'm "intellectual" enough to take part.

BarbaraGordon 11-15-2008 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 295197)
I have plans for THIS site, which I have been mulling over for many months. I am in discussions with the 'Assistant to the Regional Manager' as we formulate how to put these ideas into action.
If, after all this time, in getting to know me and my ideas, you believe that I might have something to offer, that will get you excited about what is possible *in life*, then stick around.

Mike, you and Archaea are swell and all, but has it occurred to you to ask your users what they might like this community to be?

MikeWaters 11-15-2008 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 295223)
Mike, you and Archaea are swell and all, but has it occurred to you to ask your users what they might like this community to be?

I've heard that there are fictional books are written by committee, as a kind of experiment. I haven't heard that they are any good.

Now, I'm asking a few people to trust me. And be patient. Think of me as "expedition leader."

This is a big, bad internet, and people can and do vote with their feet.

cougjunkie 11-15-2008 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 295224)
I've heard that there are fictional books are written by committee, as a kind of experiment. I haven't heard that they are any good.

Now, I'm asking a few people to trust me. And be patient. Think of me as "expedition leader."

This is a big, bad internet, and people can and do vote with their feet.

So after making haste and radical decisions as well as non-sensical posts the last few days you expect people to trust you? Thats kind of like the child molester that creeps in to bed with the little girl night after night and then one day decides to change his ways and tells her he just wants to cuddle and that she should just trust him.

MikeWaters 11-15-2008 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 295226)
So after making haste and radical decisions as well as non-sensical posts the last few days you expect people to trust you? Thats kind of like the child molester that creeps in to bed with the little girl night after night and then one day decides to change his ways and tells her he just wants to cuddle and that she should just trust him.

It all had a purpose. You can't see it now, and probably never will.

You've probably never met a more a deliberate, cautious, careful person in your life.

Follow your inner compass. I'm following mine.

And while I think this had to happen, trust me, it's not easy for me. It hurts.

cougjunkie 11-15-2008 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 295227)
It all had a purpose. You can't see it now, and probably never will.

You've probably never met a more a deliberate, cautious, careful person in your life.

Follow your inner compass. I'm following mine.

And while I think this had to happen, trust me, it's not easy for me. It hurts.

If it was to drive away Seattleute then I am on board.

SeattleUte 11-15-2008 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 295228)
If it was to drive away Seattleute then I am on board.

We used to be friends. In the SeattleUte threads you used to defend my name. But anyone who criticizes BYU sports is junkie's enemy.

statman 11-15-2008 03:44 AM

How small is the band?

I just burned some major bridges as CB...

;-)

MikeWaters 11-15-2008 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 295231)
We used to be friends. In the SeattleUte threads you used to defend my name. But anyone who criticizes BYU sports is junkie's enemy.

First Mike Waters, next Bronco Mendenhall?

Beware the man who believes in something more important than the masses.

I sent signals. Bronco is sending signals.

I have plans. Bronco has plans.

MikeWaters 11-15-2008 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statman (Post 295232)
How small is the band?

I just burned some major bridges as CB...

;-)

You are gone for 3 years and suddenly alight on my doorstep. This can't be a coincidence. :)

And I will let you in the door, unlike your mother-in-law.

statman 11-15-2008 03:51 AM

I've lurked fairly regularly in that three years!

And the story about you and my Mother-in-Law always gets laughs...

BarbaraGordon 11-15-2008 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 295224)

Forget about the other board. This is about this board.

People already do trust you or they wouldn't have given you their time and money and identities over the years. But any successful leader asks for input from his followers before deciding which path to forge. He evaluates the input and decides what to incorporate and what to dismiss.

But I suppose it all comes back to your goal for the board. And only you know what that is.

MikeWaters 11-15-2008 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 295237)
Forget about the other board. This is about this board.

People already do trust you or they wouldn't have given you their time and money and identities over the years. But any successful leader asks for input from his followers before deciding which path to forge. He evaluates the input and decides what to incorporate and what to dismiss.

But I suppose it all comes back to your goal for the board. And only you know what that is.

Are you trying to help other people here, or are you trying to help yourself?

If it's for you, then have the guts to use first person pronouns.

"I want to know what you are doing so I can make a decision."

Rely on your inner compass, all of you. Look at my avatar. John Locke, on Lost. The ultimate "inner compass" character on TV right now.

Anyone that knows me well, it would be obvious what I want to do.

BarbaraGordon 11-15-2008 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 295239)
If it's for you, then have the guts to use first person pronouns.

"I want to know what you are doing so I can make a decision."

Anyone that knows me well, it would be obvious what I want to do.

At this point the question may be whether you know you.

I made my decision yesterday. There is no hidden meaning in my message.

I try only to offer you whatever meager advice I may have. I will desist.

If you wish to play the Lone Ranger, so be it, but honestly Arch is awfully longwinded for a Tonto.

cougjunkie 11-15-2008 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 295231)

Friends can have disagreements. You will always hold a special place in my heart. However when you respond to my posts with dipshit and other things like that, it doesnt make me want to continue being your friend. Especially when you have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe we can be friends in just the forums not related to sports. Because when you step in to the sports forums you are in way over your head.

MikeWaters 11-15-2008 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 295241)
At this point the question may be whether you know you.

I made my decision yesterday. There is no hidden meaning in my message.

I try only to offer you whatever meager advice I may have. I will desist.

If you wish to play the Lone Ranger, so be it, but honestly Arch is awfully longwinded for a Tonto.

Your advice is noted.

I stand by what I said.

I'm disappointed about your final jab here. But that's ok.

cougjunkie 11-15-2008 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 295244)
Your advice is noted.

I stand by what I said.

No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will hold to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Mammon.

BarbaraGordon 11-15-2008 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 295244)
Your advice is noted.

I stand by what I said.

You know what, Mike? Forget I said anything.

MikeWaters 11-15-2008 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 295245)
No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will hold to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Mammon.

I don't think there is a right or wrong here. I don't begrudge anyone for following their inner compass, as I've been saying.

We need a team here and I'm hoping that the people that need to be here will find their way here.

Junkie, we've had our differences. We've had our good times. I was serious at about the podcast thing when I said it. Peace, bro.

cougjunkie 11-15-2008 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 295248)
I don't think there is a right or wrong here. I don't begrudge anyone for following their inner compass, as I've been saying.

We need a team here and I'm hoping that the people that need to be here will find their way here.

Junkie, we've had our differences. We've had our good times. I was serious at about the podcast thing when I said it. Peace, bro.

I was serious about it as well, but then you disappeared for a while and now all of this. So let me know when you have some time and we can figure something out.

MikeWaters 11-15-2008 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 295249)
I was serious about it as well, but then you disappeared for a while and now all of this. So let me know when you have some time and we can figure something out.

It would be fun, and I would love it, but I'm not sure it is the right thing for me. And that's why I haven't said anything about it. It was never doubt about you. Just me.

Archaea 11-15-2008 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 295250)
It would be fun, and I would love it, but I'm not sure it is the right thing for me. And that's why I haven't said anything about it. It was never doubt about you. Just me.

As you have said, let your inner compass guide you, so worry not about mine. But Barbara is your true friend who is friendly enough to disagree from time to time. We are fortunate to have her as a friend. But I believe the goal of your vision is worthwhile, even if I might do something differently but that's okay.

The relationships matter more to me than what gets done. I seek value and many have given me value, you, your work here, Farrah, Seattle, and Barbara. I consider myself lucky to have good friends developed by reason of the silly internet. The journey and with whom we spend it is important.

But I am on a journey and look forward to our paths continuing for as long as you or others will have me. I am the lucky one. So thank you Mike for the hard work. Thank you Barbara. Thank you Farrah. I consider the all of you good friends, as well as others. Friendship is one the few prizes in life worth having. Serving each other when others doubt has value for me.

this version of CG has been fun but as you have stated it has run its course. Version two may be even more worthwhile. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. thank you everyone for indulging me.

All-American 11-15-2008 07:28 AM

To be honest, I'm still not clear as to why so many felt a split was necessary. I thought we were doing just fine. I'm hoping for an explanation to be coming soon, and I rather hope the two camps can be reconciled one with another.

Surfah 11-15-2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 295253)
As you have said, let your inner compass guide you, so worry not about mine. But Barbara is your true friend who is friendly enough to disagree from time to time. We are fortunate to have her as a friend. But I believe he goal of your vision is worthwhile, even if I might do something differently but that's okay.

the relationships matter more to me than what gets done. I seek value and many have given me value, you, your work here, Farrah, Seattle, and Barbara. I consider myself lucky to have good friends developed by reason of the silly internet. The journey and with whom we spend it is important.

But I am on a journey and look forward to our paths continuing for as long as you or others will have me. I am the lucky one. So thank you Mike for the hard work. Thank you Barbara. Thank you Farrah. I consider the all of you good friends, as well as others. Friendship is one the few prizes in life worth having. Serving each other when others doubt has value for me.

this version of CG has been fun but as you have stated it has run its course. Version two may be even more worthwhile. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. thank you everyone for indulging me.

An insightful post Arch. I really appreciate these comments and they reflect many of my own. Well said.

tooblue 11-15-2008 03:11 PM

An ode to CougarGuard:

MikeWaters 06-21-2011 02:41 PM

This thread was bumped by a spammer.

Hard to believe it has been 2.5 years.

And yes, my prediction/promise was true.

We are still here.

Cali Coug 07-10-2011 04:00 AM

Funny to read back through those posts. What a long, strange trip it's been.

I made the decision to stick around here- albeit infrequently- even though I often get the sense I'm one of the few you would have preferred to have gone. Regardless, no regrets. I spend less time arguing over nonsense here and still catch some good insights from time to time.