cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The official Evan McMullin thread (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29860)

MikeWaters 10-14-2016 01:57 AM

The official Evan McMullin thread

I will indeed be writing him as dog catcher in my city.

It's just kind of funny how this wannabe neocon Goldman Sachs banker globalist-type is winning over so many Mormons.

It's just self-promotion for a guy who has basically done nothing.

mpfunk 10-14-2016 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322408)
I will indeed be writing him as dog catcher in my city.

It's just kind of funny how this wannabe neocon Goldman Sachs banker globalist-type is winning over so many Mormons.

It's just self-promotion for a guy who has basically done nothing.

Well he is a Mormon from Provo. It also gives them a chance to vote for someone that is not Trump, without supporting a democrat or someone who wants to legalize marijuana.

At the end of the day, I still expect Trump to win in Utah with McMullin getting an embarrassingly high percentage of the vote.

BlueK 10-14-2016 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 322410)
Well he is a Mormon from Provo. It also gives them a chance to vote for someone that is not Trump, without supporting a democrat or someone who wants to legalize marijuana.

At the end of the day, I still expect Trump to win in Utah with McMullin getting an embarrassingly high percentage of the vote.

Sorry, I must disagree. There is nothing embarrassing about rejecting both Trump and Hillary. Quite the opposite. That said, I'm voting for Johnson.

BlueK 10-15-2016 02:16 AM

If anyone has even the least bit of interest in voting for Trump, please read this and then the comments from Trump supporters and tell my why in the hell I shouldn't be concerned about him and the wackos he is digging out from under the rocks to vote for him.

"There’s an apocalyptic tone to Trump’s closing argument. To lay advance blame for his possible defeat, he describes a conspiracy in which Hillary Clinton, House Speaker Paul Ryan, international banks and the media have plotted to bring him down in a stolen election. Trump’s rhetoric, just weeks from Election Day, has raised fears he may refuse to concede, stoke supporters’ anger and encourage unrest following the results, and therefore incite violence."

A few days ago, one named Rhonda told Trump running mate Mike Pence she fears voter fraud and that “if Hillary Clinton gets in, I myself am ready for a revolution” -- a comment that elicited applause from the crowd. Though Pence tried to dissuade her (“Don’t say that,” he said), the Indiana governor too has warned about voter fraud, saying, “Vigilance, I think, is essential to any kind of vibrant democracy.”

Trump inflames these fears, knowing full well that many of his supporters feel just like Rhonda. When he rallies in Pennsylvania, Trump warns his voters to “watch other communities because we don't want this election stolen from us,” and points to Philadelphia, where Clinton is expected to run up large voter margins, saying, “We have to make sure we’re protected.”

The website of a group called “Oath Keepers” stated back in the spring that “If Hillary Clinton is chosen by the establishment to take Obama’s place, the result would probably be outright civil war in the U.S.”

Trump friend and confidant Roger Stone, a proud conspiracy theorist, said in August that Trump should warn his supporters of voter fraud -- indeed, he should “begin talking about it constantly.” Stone added, “If there’s voter fraud, this election will be illegitimate, the election of the winner will be illegitimate, we will have a constitutional crisis, widespread civil disobedience, and the government will no longer be the government.”

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...ef_132066.html

this is way bigger than petty squables between democrats and republicans over tax policy or whatever else we argue about in American politics. This is a full blown nutcase talking nonsense with the purpose of destroying democracy in this country.

MikeWaters 10-20-2016 02:41 PM

Back to Evan McMullin...he is not married. I think he has actually never been married.

That's really weird. Decently handsome, "successful", well-spoken 40 year old Mormon male who ASPIRES to be POTUS, yet is not married, no family. Couldn't even qualify to be a Bishop.

What's up with that? It very much goes against the grain of Mormon culture.

ChinoCoug 10-20-2016 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322457)
Back to Evan McMullin...he is not married. I think he has actually never been married.

That's really weird. Decently handsome, "successful", well-spoken 40 year old Mormon male who ASPIRES to be POTUS, yet is not married, no family. Couldn't even qualify to be a Bishop.

What's up with that? It very much goes against the grain of Mormon culture.

D.C.

ChinoCoug 10-20-2016 02:48 PM

His policy positions are good.

Wants to resettle refugees.

Supports free trade.

Supports open immigration.

As long as he doesn't give the rich a blow job with a huge tax cut, I'm fine with all that.

Still voting for Hillary though.

MikeWaters 10-20-2016 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 322458)
D.C.

Come on man, there are 3 mormon women for 1 mormon man in DC. It's the EASIEST place for an educated and "successful" Mormon man to get married.

MikeWaters 10-20-2016 03:22 PM

and like Hillary he's a hawk and wants more war in the Middle East. Hooray!

ChinoCoug 10-20-2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322461)
and like Hillary he's a hawk and wants more war in the Middle East. Hooray!

That's OK. He's concerned about how America is perceived throughout the world. Knows global PR. They won't hate us for attacking people when they like us.

Archaea 10-20-2016 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 322462)
That's OK. He's concerned about how America is perceived throughout the world. Knows global PR. They won't hate us for attacking people when they like us.

We really have no competent people running for president. This has been a sham election.

MikeWaters 10-20-2016 07:21 PM

So this guy who just finished grad school, has no track record, is going to lead the free world through PR. Thanks. I'll pass.

MikeWaters 10-20-2016 07:40 PM

His mother is married to a woman. Reported by the Washington Post in a sympathetic article (author says they got permission to report this--I wonder why permission is required).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.20dd3bcedbbf

ChinoCoug 10-20-2016 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322464)
So this guy who just finished grad school, has no track record, is going to lead the free world through PR. Thanks. I'll pass.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/1148580...n_tab_contents

ChinoCoug 10-20-2016 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 322410)

What are you talking about, man? His candidacy is earning Utah names like "America's political conscience" and "The designated drivers of the Republican Party."

MikeWaters 10-21-2016 02:16 AM

Chino, you have fallen for a fraud. For a Congressional staffer who was egged on my by some political consultants and neocons. For a guy who is totally unqualified.

And btw, if you are a neocon, you would definitely prefer Hillary to Trump.

ChinoCoug 10-22-2016 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322469)
Chino, you have fallen for a fraud. For a Congressional staffer who was egged on my by some political consultants and neocons. For a guy who is totally unqualified.

And btw, if you are a neocon, you would definitely prefer Hillary to Trump.

Hillary believes in muscular internationalism like JFK. Hawkish but not unilateralist.

I don't think the world has gotten more stable under Obama's pussified non-interventionism.

MikeWaters 10-23-2016 01:19 AM

we have a hell of a lot less Americans needlessly dying in sectarian civil wars in the Middle East.

And he wasn't hands off. He backed getting rid of Gaddafi and others.

MikeWaters 10-26-2016 11:46 PM

This article very clearly shows that Evan McMullin was among those recruited by Bill Kristol and the neocons.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4506207-1...rthodox?page=1

Certainly Hillary's views align with the neocons much more closely than Trump's.

I'm done with the neocons. They have caused too much grief, suffering, and death.

Archaea 10-27-2016 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 322473)
Hillary believes in muscular internationalism like JFK. Hawkish but not unilateralist.

I don't think the world has gotten more stable under Obama's pussified non-interventionism.

However you define, she wants what fails. This is not 1960 any more and her revisionist approach to internationalism won't work under her guidance. I wonder how many more junior varsities will spring up.

BlueK 11-01-2016 04:02 PM

as if anyone would need another reason not to vote for Trump:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...in-is-gay.html

MikeWaters 11-01-2016 04:27 PM

I don't get why someone should not vote for Trump because a white-nationalist bozo supports him?

Should someone not vote for Clinton because a racist supports her?

Does Clinton not seek to divide and conquer as well?

BlueK 11-01-2016 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322506)
I don't get why someone should not vote for Trump because a white-nationalist bozo supports him?

Should someone not vote for Clinton because a racist supports her?

Does Clinton not seek to divide and conquer as well?

It's not just one white nationalist bozo. It's the entire movement who loves him.

MikeWaters 11-01-2016 04:31 PM

if 99.9% of the BLM activists who violently rioted are voting for Hillary, does that mean that someone who supports Hillary's views on a number of important issues, but doesn't support rioting should not vote for her?

BlueK 11-01-2016 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322508)
if 99.9% of the BLM activists who violently rioted are voting for Hillary, does that mean that someone who supports Hillary's views on a number of important issues, but doesn't support rioting should not vote for her?

No, but I think the company someone attracts should be taken into account. There is a reason the KKK types love Trump and it's because he purposely speaks in certain code words that they recognize and take to mean he's one of them. Whether he really believes it or is doing it for the votes I guess is up for debate. There is no denying there hasn't been a candidate since George Wallace that racists around the country have been this excited about.

MikeWaters 11-01-2016 04:44 PM

I suggest you go on facebook and read the comments on any political article posted by NPR. And see how closely the most popular posts adhere with any concept of liberty.

MikeWaters 11-01-2016 04:52 PM

Which websites are promoting the idea that Trump is supported by "white nationalists"?

Which websites are promoting the candidacy of Evan McMullin?

Hint: the same ones, all left-leaning

Do any of these sites bring up issues or problematic support for Clinton? No they do not.

BlueK 11-01-2016 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322510)
I suggest you go on facebook and read the comments on any political article posted by NPR. And see how closely the most popular posts adhere with any concept of liberty.

I think I can guess. Overall, I think Trump is about as anti-liberty as they come...worse than Hillary. Johnson has some weaknesses in certain areas, but he's the most pro-liberty candidate in the field and I want the LP to gain more influence in the national debate. So I voted for him to help the LP hit some vote thresholds that allow certain privileges to kick in that the Dems and GOP can take for granted. Unfortunately, current election laws purposely try to stack the deck against third parties. Seriously, what would it have really hurt to have a couple more people on the debate stage than Hillary and Trump?

MikeWaters 11-01-2016 04:56 PM

I would have liked to see Johnson in the debates. However, I fear Johnson would be exposed as having little depth or understanding of significant issues, other than general philosophies and beliefs. Which displays what I believe to be a certain intellectual laziness.

BlueK 11-01-2016 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322514)
I would have liked to see Johnson in the debates. However, I fear Johnson would be exposed as having little depth or understanding of significant issues, other than general philosophies and beliefs. Which displays what I believe to be a certain intellectual laziness.

I agree. I have been disappointed with him in this campaign. He actually ran a very good campaign in 2012, but not as many were paying attention that time. I thought he was better prepared last time. For me, it's not about him though. He isn't going to win anyway, so that's moot. For me it's about the country needing to have libertarian voices given more of a chance to be in the national discussion. And giving a vote to his party is a chance to hit certain legal thresholds that make it easier for the LP to compete on the same playing field.

MikeWaters 11-01-2016 05:06 PM

To the extent that Trump would adopt a somewhat more libertarian stance to foreign wards, I support that. In contrast to the neoconservatives who seem to have never met a war in the Middle East that they do not like.

The question is whether a Trump presidency would create such uncertainty and might embolden our enemies to an extent that the world is less safe and more destabilized.

BlueK 11-01-2016 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322516)
To the extent that Trump would adopt a somewhat more libertarian stance to foreign wards, I support that. In contrast to the neoconservatives who seem to have never met a war in the Middle East that they do not like.

The question is whether a Trump presidency would create such uncertainty and might embolden our enemies to an extent that the world is less safe and more destabilized.

I am definitely anti-neocon, but I fear your second point is more likely under Trump. Seriously, he scares the crap out of me.

MikeWaters 11-02-2016 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 322503)
as if anyone would need another reason not to vote for Trump:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...in-is-gay.html

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...source=copyurl

He says Trump's campaign repudiated him.

There's something pretty sketchy about a robocall that begins with announcing that are a white nationalist.

BlueK 11-03-2016 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322522)

There's something pretty sketchy about a robocall that begins with announcing that are a white nationalist.

There has been some disturbing twitter chatter recently among the white supremacist faction of wacko Trump supporters talking about Mormons should/could/would be targets for violence if it's perceived they helped Trump lose.

BlueK 11-03-2016 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322522)

Utah isn't the first place this campaign that this guy and other white nationalists have been doing this. A couple of times Trump told him to stop, but not every time. A couple of times he's said he won't do it anymore but he's a liar obviously.

New Hampshire:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b01d80b2467122

Iowa:
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...call-for-trump

Wisconsin:
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/white-nat...rump-robocalls

Not clear where this writer lives but he says he got a call in early October and recorded it. The call is obviously meant to be hokey but but the article also mentions additional states where the white nationalist robocalls have shown up.
https://medium.com/@jonathonmorgan/w...187#.i00uaeudv

My point is, whether Trump can be directly blamed for this kind of crap or not, it's not really debateable that his rhetoric has helped pull these dregs of society out from from under the rocks. And I think whether Trump truly believes the white nationalist dogmas or not, he sure as hell knows what to say to get these guys to think he's one of them.

I'd rather have Hillary.

MikeWaters 11-03-2016 03:53 PM

Has it ever occurred to you that the media has an agenda in "trumping" up every single time one of these wacko groups endorses or otherwise supports Trump?

That the douche doing the robocalls in Utah gets front-page coverage is ridiculous.

Just yesterday huge blaring headlines about the KKK endorsing Trump.

Sorry that you fell for it. Another case of the media shaping the news and actually promoting the white nationalists for clicks and to support Hillary.

BlueK 11-03-2016 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322533)
Has it ever occurred to you that the media has an agenda in "trumping" up every single time one of these wacko groups endorses or otherwise supports Trump?

That the douche doing the robocalls in Utah gets front-page coverage is ridiculous.

Just yesterday huge blaring headlines about the KKK endorsing Trump.

Sorry that you fell for it. Another case of the media shaping the news and actually promoting the white nationalists for clicks and to support Hillary.

It's not the media's fault for turning on a camera and a microphone to record the absolute garbage that comes out of Trump's filthy mouth for me to hear with my own ears and be disgusted.

MikeWaters 11-04-2016 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 322534)
It's not the media's fault for turning on a camera and a microphone to record the absolute garbage that comes out of Trump's filthy mouth for me to hear with my own ears and be disgusted.

That is different.

Both sides do this thing called selective reporting and shaping the news. See Breitbart as an example of a "news" group supporting Trump. They constantly show stuff from very sketchy and unlikable groups and persons that support Hillary.

Bias and clickbait. That's how the "news" operates.

BlueK 11-04-2016 02:36 PM

So now Donald Trump suddenly thinks his wife should speak publicly and she talks about cyberbullying. But I think it will backfire because it's going to focus the spotlight on himself again. Bad mistake on his part since he's the poster boy for exactly what his wife was talking against. The media is laughing at him again and pulling out all the examples of Trump cyberbullying people. One thing has been very consistent throughout the camapaign: when the focus is on Trump, Hillary goes up in the polls. T When the focus is on Hillary, Trump catches up. his makes sense when you realize these are the two most unpopular presidential candidates in the history of political polling. This may make the pendulum swing back the other way.

Also, one thing no one is talking about is Florida. While Trump was gaining in the polls in other states, Hillary actually surged ahead in Florida. She was focusing her campaign there a little more while Trump went to other places. Mathematically it's pretty much impossible for Trump to win without Florida.

BlueK 11-04-2016 05:26 PM

This article pretty much expresses what I think. Yes, it's "the media," but if this doesn't bring up correct points, explain it away then. The problem is, if you don't like the article, pretty much everything in it is easily traceable to exact things Trump has said. Trump doesn't give a flying rat's behind about our Constitution or our freedoms. He just wants power and acclamation for himself. I don't know if there is more to it in his little mind than that. It wasn't that many years ago when some of us were concerned about George W. Bush with his Patriot Act, warrantless wiretapping, and a few other things. Some started calling Bush a fascist. That was overblown, but I don't agree with many things he did. The problem is, Trump is all of that, only at least a hundred times worse. Many think Bush wasn't a good president. He wasn't. But Trump if elected would make George W. Bush look like George Washington.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...the-abyss.html

"Some — including many who will be voting for Trump — will argue that even if the unstable, sleepless, vindictive tyrant wins on Tuesday, he will be restrained by the system when he seizes power. Let’s game this out for a moment. Over the last year, which forces in the GOP have been able to stand up to him? Even his closest aides have been unable to get him to concentrate before a debate. He set up a policy advisory apparatus and then completely ignored it until it was disbanded. His foreign-policy advisers can scarcely be found. He says he knows more than any general, any diplomat, and anyone with actual experience in government. He has declared his chief adviser to be himself. Even the criminal Richard Nixon was eventually restrained and dispatched by a Republican Establishment that still knew how to run the country and had a loyalty to broader American institutions. Such an Establishment no longer exists."

What is so striking is that this requires no interpretation, no reading of the tea leaves. Trump has told Americans all of this — again and again — in plain English. His own temperamental instability has been displayed daily and in gory detail. From time to time, you can see his poll ratings plummet as revelations that would permanently sink any other candidate have dented his appeal. And then he resiliently and unstoppably moves back up. His bond with his supporters is absolute, total, and personal. It was months ago that he boasted that he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and his supporters would still be with him. And he was right. This is not a mark of a democratic leader; it is a mark of an authoritarian cult."