cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Best songs about a girl's name (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5567)

YOhio 12-19-2006 02:40 PM

Best songs about a girl's name

Lisa recently posted songs about a place and I kept coming up with songs that were titled with female names. There are thousands of them, but a few stick out.

My top four:

Cecelia-Simon and Garfunkle
Delia's Gone-Johnny Cash
A Boy Named Sue-Johnny Cash
Emmaline-Ben Folds Five

MikeWaters 12-19-2006 02:45 PM

For Emily Whenever I may Find Her - S&G

ute4ever 12-19-2006 02:55 PM

my name is Luka
I live on the second floor

jay santos 12-19-2006 03:08 PM

Amanda Boston

Surfah 12-19-2006 03:10 PM

Janie's Got a Gun - Aerosmith
Cailin - Unwritten Law
Chelsea - M.E.S.T.
Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
Mandy - Barry Manilow
Mrs. Robinson - S&G
Roxanne - Police
Meet Virginia - Train
Layla - Eric Clapton

il Padrino Ute 12-19-2006 03:15 PM

Evangeline - Icicle Works
Alice's House - Psychedelic Furs
Charlotte Anne - Julian Cope

Ok, so the Furs song isn't about Alice, but her house.

TheSizzle36 12-19-2006 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 49558)
Janie's Got a Gun - Aerosmith
Cailin - Unwritten Law
Chelsea - M.E.S.T.
Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
Mandy - Barry Manilow
Mrs. Robinson - S&G
Roxanne - Police
Meet Virginia - Train
Layla - Eric Clapton

Cailin by Unwritten Law is a great one. Love that song.

ewth8tr 12-19-2006 03:35 PM

liza and louise - nofx
whatever did wants - nofx
lori meyers - nofx

Venkman 12-19-2006 03:46 PM

Josie - Blink 182

non sequitur 12-19-2006 03:56 PM

Sweet Jane - Lou Reed
Angie - The Rolling Stones
Maggie May - Rod Stewart
The Bitch is Back - Elton John

Jeff Lebowski 12-19-2006 04:01 PM

867-5309 Jenny - Tommy Tutone

YOhio 12-19-2006 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewth8tr (Post 49568)
liza and louise - nofx
whatever did wants - nofx
lori meyers - nofx

Good list ewth8r. Liza and Louise is such an uplifting coming of age song.

For those of you who haven't heard the song, please allow me a brief synopsis. Liza had been burned one too many times in her relationships. To make it worse, she had not ever been satisfied in any of her intimate physical encounters with men. This frustration led her to venture into the city where she became intoxicated and, in the process of intoxication, met a girl named Louise. Her new friend graciously invited her back to her home and Liza eagerly accepted the offer.

What happened next is where I kind of get lost. The song made it sound like they began kissing each other and doin' other stuff, but remember, they're both women. That doesn't make any sense. Why would two girls kiss each other? Gross. Whatever. It is a catchy tune though.

SoCalCoug 12-19-2006 04:18 PM

Lola, L - O - L - A, Lola.

ewth8tr 12-19-2006 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 49577)
Good list ewth8r. Liza and Louise is such an uplifting coming of age song.

For those of you who haven't heard the song, please allow me a brief synopsis. Liza had been burned one too many times in her relationships. To make it worse, she had not ever been satisfied in any of her intimate physical encounters with men. This frustration led her to venture into the city where she became intoxicated and, in the process of intoxication, met a girl named Louise. Her new friend graciously invited her back to her home and Liza eagerly accepted the offer.

What happened next is where I kind of get lost. The song made it sound like they began kissing each other and doin' other stuff, but remember, they're both women. That doesn't make any sense. Why would two girls kiss each other? Gross. Whatever. It is a catchy tune though.

Surfah 12-19-2006 04:48 PM

You got an assortment of Beach Boys songs, Barbara Ann and Help Me Rhonda come to mind.

But I can't believe I left off one of my favorite songs on my previous list. Jane Says by Jane's Addiction.

Hey There Delilah by Plain White T's is catchy.

il Padrino Ute 12-19-2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 49575)
867-5309 Jenny - Tommy Tutone

How could I have forgotten about this one? Shame on me.

DrumNFeather 12-19-2006 05:31 PM

Hannah Jane - Hootie and the Blowfish
Wendy - Beach Boys
Carleane - Phil Vassar
Hey Jude - The Beatles

Archaea 12-19-2006 06:13 PM

A Boy Named Sue.

creekster 12-19-2006 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa.Kinzer (Post 49639)
What I meant to say was

Sara by Jefferson Starship is one of the greatest songs of all time.

I was sure you would say Sad Lisa by Cat Stevens (long before he found religion).

creekster 12-19-2006 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa.Kinzer (Post 49643)
Yes, I actually considered that.
Thought it was a downer though.

Ok, it's a minor key and Lisa is sad but Cat is going to help her, see? SO in my mind this is better than, say, a random dalliance with someone whose number was found on the bathroom wall. 8 6 7 5 3 0 ni-yee-nine

creekster 12-19-2006 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa.Kinzer (Post 49656)
I thought we had already established that my taste is deplorable. So, no suprises on Jenny, huh?

Geez, I hope that was TIC. I think you may be taking this Starship thing too hard. Maybe we should have a guilty pleasure thread (or was there already one in the past?) to talk about songs we know are dreadful but we like anyway.

I actually like Tommy TuTone. I'll have you know that when that album came out (and most of the album was not too good, btw) I was a DJ and played it on my show for which I served as my own producer, meaning I did not have to play it if I didn't want to.

YOhio 12-19-2006 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa.Kinzer (Post 49635)
YOhio, you think like a librarian...what does that tell you?

Here's the thing:
For one, I was going to start this exact thread, but I hadn't got around to it yet.

Lisa, please accept my apologies for stealing your thunder. As to your point about me thinking like a librarian, I am a self-confessed bibliographobe. In undergrad, I would sometimes purposely cite to the wrong page just to check if the professor was on his game. On top of that, I owe money to libraries across the nation for checking out Harry Potter books and then burning them. I don't think I'd cut it in the library world.

I do like your song by Jefferson Starship though.

BarbaraGordon 12-19-2006 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 49661)
Geez, I hope that was TIC. I think you may be taking this Starship thing too hard. Maybe we should have a guilty pleasure thread (or was there already one in the past?) to talk about songs we know are dreadful but we like anyway.

I actually like Tommy TuTone. I'll have you know that when that album came out (and most of the album was not too good, btw) I was a DJ and played it on my show for which I served as my own producer, meaning I did not have to play it if I didn't want to.

Sorry about that.

Always TIC with me.

I served my "notice" at work yesterday, so I'm a little stressed and not posting as coherently as I might otherwise.

BarbaraGordon 12-19-2006 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 49665)
As to your point about me thinking like a librarian, I am a self-confessed bibliographobe. In undergrad, I would sometimes purposely cite to the wrong page just to check if the professor was on his game. On top of that, I owe money to libraries across the nation for checking out Harry Potter books and then burning them.

Wow. And here I thought we'd get along so well!

Why burn Harry? You're not Baptist are you? ;)

My husband made it through his entire undergrad without setting foot in the library once. This is a point of pride for him and horror for me.

Jeff Lebowski 12-19-2006 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa.Kinzer (Post 49639)
What I meant to say was

Sara by Jefferson Starship is one of the greatest songs of all time.

Actually, I prefer Jane by Jefferson Starship. I have a neighbor named Jane and I occasionally sing that song when she is around. She claims she has never heard it. Weird, eh?

BarbaraGordon 12-19-2006 08:11 PM

What about last dance with Mary Jane?
THAT was creepy.

YOhio 12-19-2006 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa.Kinzer (Post 49694)
What about last dance with Mary Jane?
THAT was creepy.

Good Catch! One of my favorite Tom Petty songs of all time. I completely forgot about that one.

creekster 12-19-2006 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa.Kinzer (Post 49702)
Did anyone mention Judy in Disguise? Or Lucy in the Sky?

or perhaps Suite Judy Blues Eyes?

As you probably know, there is some question as to whether Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is really about a girl, although Lucy is certainly in the title.

BarbaraGordon 12-19-2006 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 49709)
or perhaps Suite Judy Blues Eyes?

As you probably know, there is some question as to whether Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is really about a girl, although Lucy is certainly in the title.

Next you're going to tell me Puff the Magic Dragon isn't about a dragon.

Parrot Head 12-20-2006 04:13 AM

I have to second the nomination of Emaline (while correcting the spelling) as that is my daughter's name. (But we actually call her Maybe, after the girl on Arrested Development.)

il Padrino Ute 12-20-2006 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrot Head (Post 49830)
I have to second the nomination of Emaline (while correcting the spelling) as that is my daughter's name. (But we actually call her Maybe, after the girl on Arrested Development.)

From the pics you posted of her, I would have thought you'd have named her Dawn.

non sequitur 12-20-2006 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 49743)
Next you're going to tell me Puff the Magic Dragon isn't about a dragon.

I've always assumed Tom Petty's "Last Dance with Mary Jane" was about marijauna. Am I mistaken?

creekster 12-20-2006 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non sequitur (Post 49850)
I've always assumed Tom Petty's "Last Dance with Mary Jane" was about marijauna. Am I mistaken?

I think it is intentionally ambiguous, but this is certainly a reasonbale interpretation

Surfah 12-20-2006 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non sequitur (Post 49850)

I thought Tom Petty was a necrophiliac in that video but that's just me.

creekster 12-20-2006 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 49859)

He was, but the video seems to ahve no correlation with the lyrics

non sequitur 12-20-2006 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 49859)

This is the way I interpreted it: It's about breaking a drug addiction. The reason he's dancing with a dead woman in the video is because drugs, though they "ease the pain", will eventally kill you.

Surfah 12-20-2006 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non sequitur (Post 49861)
This is the way I interpreted it: It's about breaking a drug addiction. The reason he's dancing with a dead woman in the video is because drugs, though they "ease the pain", will eventally kill you.

Oh, see I am much more superficial than that. I was like whoa Kim Basinger's kind of looking old, but still pretty damn hot, even if she's dead. Yeah, I'd probably it hit.

Surfah 12-20-2006 01:32 PM

Thought of two more:

Proud Mary - CCR
Anna Molly - Incubus

BarbaraGordon 12-20-2006 05:30 PM

Hey, Y, are we allowed to list worst songs about a girl's name? Because I've thought of a whole bunch!

il Padrino Ute 12-20-2006 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 49896)
Hey, Y, are we allowed to list worst songs about a girl's name? Because I've thought of a whole bunch!

Sure. Start a new thread about it.