cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Places to Live (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5938)

BigFatMeanie 01-11-2007 06:39 PM

Places to Live

Reading about Noah's possible move to Memphis got me started thinking about all the places I could live. I can really see myself living anywhere but one of the main reasons why I live in Utah is BYU football. Let me explain:

I've lived in San Diego, Arizona, Salt Lake, and internationally (in Montreal when I was a small kid). I've travelled extensively internationally and throughout the U.S for both business and pleasure. I've generally enjoyed just about everywhere I've been. There are always interesting things to see, interesting people to meet. Things like climate and availability of outdoor activities and such are just what you make of it - every place has its advantages and disadvantages but nothing that really makes me favor one place over another. I could see myself living in rural places in the midwest. I could see myself living in urban areas like New York or Los Angeles. I could see myself living in the South or up in the cold midwest. Thus, one place is as good as the other - I could pretty much see myself living anywhere.

I've often contemplated moving out of Utah - just for some variety. I don't have any strong family ties that keep me here - my parents live in Hawaii, sister in Florida, sister in Texas, and brother in Oregon. I don't have any strong friendship ties that keep me here - I have friends everywhere and besides, I can always make new friends wherever I go (you'ld be surprised how many people I can befriend despite the fact that I'm a big fat meanie). I'm not worried about raising my children in one location over another - I believe that what actually goes on inside our home will have a much stronger impact on my kids than the town in which I raise them. I don't avoid moving simply because I "love my ward" or any silly thing like that.

I started thinking about why I live here in Utah, or rather, why living in Utah has any advantages over anywhere else. About the only advantage I could think of that I actually care about is that living in Utah allows me to attend BYU football games. Everything else is pretty much equal in my mind. Thus I don't live here solely because of BYU football; however, BYU football is a unique advantage that other places simply don't have. All other things being equal, BYU football is an advantage that tips the scales in Utah's favor. As long as I'm able to comfortably support my family and enjoy my work, I might as well stay in SLC - that way I can still attend BYU Football games. Of course, if someone wants to dangle a million dollars in front of me to get me to move, I would heartily accept.

So, what advantages does your current location have that keep you there? Alternatively, if you dislike your current location, what is preventing you from moving?

mpfunk 01-11-2007 06:45 PM

I just don't want to end up living in Texas. I would rather be dead in Portland, than alive in Texas.

BigFatMeanie 01-11-2007 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 53175)
I just don't want to end up living in Texas. I would rather be dead in Portland, than alive in Texas.

Why? I've been to both Texas (driven from Lubbock to Houston) and Portland. Both places have their advantages and disadvantages. What in your mind makes one place better than the other?

creekster 01-11-2007 06:58 PM

In general I think you are correct, that almost any place can be suitable. There are a couple of places I have been that I would not want to live in, however, these include:

Tucumcari, New Mexico
The Bronx (or at least the part you can see from the cross-Bronx highway)
Los Banos, California (it’s really not that bad, just my personal opinion)

There are others.

I would move to some of the good places to try them, but I don’t want to leave my ward.

Detroitdad 01-11-2007 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 53180)
In general I think you are correct, that almost any place can be suitable. There are a couple of places I have been that I would not want to live in, however, these include:

Tucumcari, New Mexico

There are others.

I would move to some of the good places to try them, but I don’t want to leave my ward.

Your avatar is creepy cool.

I would rather not live in a large city. I would rather not live in the northeast. I would rather not live in Eastern Europe or Northern Europe. I would rather not live in Provo permanently. Other than that I'm good to go. I would live in any of those places, but they would not be my favorite.

BigFatMeanie 01-11-2007 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 53180)

Tucumcari, New Mexico

There are others.

It's true that there are bad neighborhoods and bad areas that I wouldn't want to live in. It's true that I wouldn't want to live in Compton, CA. I guess I'm operating under the assumption that wherever I go, I would maintain (relatively) my current socio-economic standing.

mpfunk 01-11-2007 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 53177)
Why? I've been to both Texas (driven from Lubbock to Houston) and Portland. Both places have their advantages and disadvantages. What in your mind makes one place better than the other?

One word: Texans. In Texas you have to live with Texans. Sure the hippies in Portland are irritating, but still it is not like they are Texans.

BarbaraGordon 01-11-2007 07:52 PM

I don't recommend the state of Oklahoma or anything Southward of here.

Too many shotgun-toting, intellectually-challenged, backwoods redneck evangelicals.

Jason and I hope to move to Corvallis, Oregon sometime in the next year to escape.

mpfunk 01-11-2007 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 53197)
I don't recommend the state of Oklahoma or anything Southward of here.

Too many shotgun-toting, intellectually-challenged, backwoods redneck evangelicals.

Jason and I hope to move to Corvallis, Oregon sometime in the next year to escape.

It is a sad day when someone moves to Corvallis to escape. You are getting close, just make the move to Portland, Oregon.

MikeWaters 01-11-2007 07:54 PM

Portland sucks. The whole town is yuppies. Gray drizzly town full of salt-less yuppies.

YOhio 01-11-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 53197)

And I hate how judgmental they are too!!!

BarbaraGordon 01-11-2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 53198)
It is a sad day when someone moves to Corvallis to escape. You are getting close, just make the move to Portland, Oregon.

MP, I'm just happy we found a couple of things to agree on:
1. Texans
2. The state of Oregon

Jason (husband) wanted Portland, but you should SEE the cost-of-living difference between Oklahoma and Portland.

Plus, it's sunnier in Corvallis. And I'll get the chance to cheer for a football team with a small furry woodland creature as a mascot. Can't beat that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 53201)
And I hate how judgmental they are too!!!

EXACTL...wait a sec...you're mocking me aren't you. It's true. I'm a snob. I can't help it. Maybe you good people can help me. :)

bluegoose 01-11-2007 08:06 PM

Corvallis is nice. In fact the whole I-5 corridor through Oregon is liveable, as long as you don't mind the hippie, yuppy, tree-hugging type.

And I agree that the weather in Portland stinks. Throw Seattle and everything else in between the two in the mix as well. The area is beautiful, its just often hard to appreciate it through the fog and rain. Although, my experience is that its not really a true rain, like in the south or midwest. More of a constant drizzle for 6-9 months out of the year. Liquid Sunshine.

YOhio 01-11-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 53202)
Plus, it's sunnier in Corvallis. And I'll get the chance to cheer for a football team with a small furry woodland creature as a mascot. Can't beat that.

That is weak! All along I thought you had potential to become a Cougar fan. Cougars are furry woodland creatures, except they live in the mountains and grow to be quite large.

As far as good places to live, I have enjoyed most places that I've lived. Ohio isn't a bad place, but in order to live here you have to have a high tolerance for empty factories and Buckeye fans. Both are depressing to observe.

tooblue 01-11-2007 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 53173)
Reading about Noah's possible move to Memphis got me started thinking about all the places I could live. I can really see myself living anywhere but one of the main reasons why I live in Utah is BYU football. Let me explain:

I've lived in San Diego, Arizona, Salt Lake, and internationally (in Montreal when I was a small kid). I've travelled extensively internationally and throughout the U.S for both business and pleasure. I've generally enjoyed just about everywhere I've been. There are always interesting things to see, interesting people to meet. Things like climate and availability of outdoor activities and such are just what you make of it - every place has its advantages and disadvantages but nothing that really makes me favor one place over another. I could see myself living in rural places in the midwest. I could see myself living in urban areas like New York or Los Angeles. I could see myself living in the South or up in the cold midwest. Thus, one place is as good as the other - I could pretty much see myself living anywhere.

I've often contemplated moving out of Utah - just for some variety. I don't have any strong family ties that keep me here - my parents live in Hawaii, sister in Florida, sister in Texas, and brother in Oregon. I don't have any strong friendship ties that keep me here - I have friends everywhere and besides, I can always make new friends wherever I go (you'ld be surprised how many people I can befriend despite the fact that I'm a big fat meanie). I'm not worried about raising my children in one location over another - I believe that what actually goes on inside our home will have a much stronger impact on my kids than the town in which I raise them. I don't avoid moving simply because I "love my ward" or any silly thing like that.

I started thinking about why I live here in Utah, or rather, why living in Utah has any advantages over anywhere else. About the only advantage I could think of that I actually care about is that living in Utah allows me to attend BYU football games. Everything else is pretty much equal in my mind. Thus I don't live here solely because of BYU football; however, BYU football is a unique advantage that other places simply don't have. All other things being equal, BYU football is an advantage that tips the scales in Utah's favor. As long as I'm able to comfortably support my family and enjoy my work, I might as well stay in SLC - that way I can still attend BYU Football games. Of course, if someone wants to dangle a million dollars in front of me to get me to move, I would heartily accept.

So, what advantages does your current location have that keep you there? Alternatively, if you dislike your current location, what is preventing you from moving?

Are you a Sobrowski?

tooblue 01-11-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 53210)
That is weak! All along I thought you had potential to become a Cougar fan. Cougars are furry woodland creatures, except they live in the mountains and grow to be quite large.

As far as good places to live, I have enjoyed most places that I've lived. Ohio isn't a bad place, but in order to live here you have to have a high tolerance for empty factories and Buckeye fans. Both are depressing to observe.

I'm very happy in Southern Ontario. We do live too far (45 min) from Toronto and in a GM town but drive 20 minutes north and you are in cottage country -hundreds of lakes with cute little cottages, rolling hills and green as far as the eye can see!

Goatnapper'96 01-11-2007 09:17 PM

Clearly not one of you has ever been to Rockland, Idaho.

Once you see SouthCentral Power County you will not leave.

There is something special about living in a town where the butcher shop comes to you every October, and all the womenfolk know mossy oak is the sexiest of sexy mens clothes.

Archaea 01-11-2007 09:22 PM

If you tell me my income, I'll tell you where I'd like to live.

Given high enough income, I could live anywhere.

Given modest income, I'd change my choices.

Given no income, I'd choose Hawaii.

BigFatMeanie 01-11-2007 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 53211)
Are you a Sobrowski?

Nope. Never heard of him/them.

mpfunk 01-11-2007 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 53240)
Clearly not one of you has ever been to Rockland, Idaho.

Once you see SouthCentral Power County you will not leave.

There is something special about living in a town where the butcher shop comes to you every October, and all the womenfolk know mossy oak is the sexiest of sexy mens clothes.

Living in Rockland, Idaho would be worse than living in Texas.

OhioBlue 01-11-2007 10:25 PM

I've lived in PA, Ohio, Iowa, and Utah. And Michigan, when I was little.

And I can't see ever moving out of the state of Utah.

it's not for the LDS influence, because honestly I abhor many aspects of LDS culture.

For me, it's geography and climate. I can't stand humidity, so that nixes like 80% of the country. Even worse is humid and flat and windy with bugs, so Texas is probably one of the last states I'd ever live in. I like blue skies and sun, but I also like having four seasons. So where else can I get that? Northwest? Too much rain/gray. Southwest? there goes the 4 seasons for the most part.

So for me, it's pretty much Utah or Colorado. Add to that the friends and family I have in utah, and BYU sports, and it's just no contest. It's enough to make me put up with all the less than desirable elements of living in this state.

Surfah 01-11-2007 10:48 PM

I've lived in Hawaii. Sacramento, CA. Valencia, CA. Portland, OR. Provo, UT. SLC, UT. Fredericksburg, VA. Denver, CO.

I really like Denver. But I love SLC too. I love Valencia and Hawaii but could never live there. Valencia is just too ridiculous and the commute into LA sucks. Hawaii just has so little to offer in the way of opportunity. I like Fredericksburg quite a bit. It just took me awhile to adjust to the east coast having spent my entire life in the west. Commuting to DC is worse than LA traffic. Portland would kill my golf handicap if I had one I am sure. But it grew on me when I was there in September on business. Sacramento is cow bell town as Phil Jackson would say.

SteelBlue 01-11-2007 11:35 PM

I'm one who could be happy just about anywhere, but at 36 years old and with 4 kids I have one main standard. I have to be able to get home from anywhere in town within 20 minutes. When I lived in Boston it took me 2 hours to go 26 miles. Four hours a day wasted in traffic. I'm too old for that now. In Redding, I'm home from the opposite end of town in 15 minutes.

cougjunkie 01-12-2007 02:06 AM

My top 3 are.

1. Benicia, Ca (this is where i grew up, has all the big city amenities, but a small town feel, right on the bay and most of my family lives there)
2. Spanish Fork, Ut (lived here from about 15-22, i own this town, i definitely left my legacy before graduating high school and moving away)
3. Grass Valley, Ca (specifically Malakoff Diggins), this is a small old mining town that my uncle used to be the park ranger of, about 25 people live there, high up in the mountains, it was awesome we used to love going up there and fishing, exploring old mines, it was just very peaceful, however the drive to get anywhere is like 45 minutes.

il Padrino Ute 01-12-2007 02:55 AM

The Salt Lake Valley is home for me. It's where I grew up and I enjoy it here.

Places I've visited in which I'd like to or be happy living in:

Phoenix, AZ
Cincinnati, OH
Savannah, GA
San Diego, CA
Dallas, TX
St. Louis, MO
Anywhere along the north shore of Sicily but particularly near the town of Cefalu`.

ute4ever 01-12-2007 03:25 AM

Ocean Beach, CA.

Or more specifically, 300 feet west of Ute4ever's domicile:

http://www.mylittleutefan.com/apt.jpg

YOhio 01-12-2007 03:32 AM

ute4ever:

Awesome. I am very jealous.

bluegoose 01-12-2007 03:37 AM

Hey Mike,

Can we check an IP address on ute4ever? Because I'm pretty sure I saw him at the circle K on a recent visit to Mountain Home, Idaho.

I'm calling BS on this San Diego crap. Its too good to be true.

ute4ever 01-12-2007 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 53355)
Can we check an IP address on ute4ever?

Here I am in Tijuana recently.
http://www.mylittleutefan.com/P7220281b.jpg
Although then again, I guess you could insist it is Midvale or Magna.....

ute4ever 01-12-2007 03:52 AM

So let me try again. Here is my dinner: a double double with animal fries....

http://www.mylittleutefan.com/P7120117.JPG

Although then again I guess you could say I was in Bakersfield. Ooh that would suck.

UteStar 01-12-2007 04:02 AM

Big Cities that I would love to live in again:
London and Washington DC

Medium sized cities that I thoroughly enjoyed:
Denver and Salt Lake City

Small cities:
Not much interest...well, except for the CinQue Terra in Italy. That place would be a pretty amazing place to live full time.

il Padrino Ute 01-12-2007 04:06 AM

Ok, if we're doing pics, here's Cefalu`:

http://www.italianvisits.com/images/...efalu-view.jpg

http://p.vtourist.com/2053798-Cefalu-Cefal.jpg

http://www.skyhighway.com/~greece/images/cefalu.jpg

Archaea 01-12-2007 04:28 AM

Many, many gorgeous places.

If funds were unlimited,

Bora Bora, Papeete, Tahiti, Kona, Hawai'i, Sanya Hainan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Santa Barbara, Cocoa Beach, Florida, Paris (Eighth Arrondisement, 16th as well), Nice France, Monaco, Capri Italia, Venice Italia, some of the Greek Isles, Marbella Espana, Myrtle Beach SC, Austin Texas, San Juan Islands WA, and so many more.

il Padrino Ute 01-12-2007 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 53365)

If funds were unlimited,

Bora Bora, Papeete, Tahiti, Kona, Hawai'i, Sanya Hainan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Santa Barbara, Cocoa Beach, Florida, Paris (Eighth Arrondisement, 16th as well), Nice France, Monaco, Capri Italia, Venice Italia, some of the Greek Isles, Marbella Espana, Myrtle Beach SC, Austin Texas, San Juan Islands WA, and so many more.

Capri is very nice, as is Venice. I prefer the very south of Italy and Sicily as it isn't known as well to tourists.

SteelBlue 01-12-2007 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 53359)
So let me try again. Here is my dinner: a double double with animal fries....

http://www.mylittleutefan.com/P7120117.JPG

Although then again I guess you could say I was in Bakersfield. Ooh that would suck.

We can do that in Redding. I can smell it from my backyard. It's about a 2 minute drive.

Surfah 01-12-2007 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 53365)

If funds were unlimited,

If I could afford it I would live in Santa Barbara/Santa Ynez in a heartbeat. I surfed Rincon growing up and loved Santa Barbara. In fact I spent a summer between my junior and senior year at UCSB and decided that is where I wanted to go to school until fate took over (my parents pocketbook) and I went to BYU.

SteelBlue 01-12-2007 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 53381)
If I could afford it I would live in Santa Barbara/Santa Ynez in a heartbeat. I surfed Rincon growing up and loved Santa Barbara. In fact I spent a summer between my junior and senior year at UCSB and decided that is where I wanted to go to school until fate took over (my parents pocketbook) and I went to BYU.

Without question I'd live there too. It's the closest thing to Paradise I've seen in the US.

MikeWaters 01-12-2007 02:39 PM

Love where you live now. Maybe she ain't good looking, but if you do a little pokin, you may find she's good in the sack. But you gotta peel back the covers first.

FarrahWaters 01-12-2007 03:16 PM

I grew up in SW Washington, near Portland, and the weather never bothered me growing up. After living in TX for 8 years, I don't know if I'd have the same tolerance for the rain. But as I'm up here visiting now, I've got to say, there's a part of me that breathes a sigh of relief when I get here and see all the trees and greenery. Everything seems cleaner-- the air I breathe during morning runs, the streets and highways, etc.

One thing that felt strange is being among a lack of racial diversity here in my parent's ward, and around town.

Venkman 01-12-2007 06:14 PM

I'm a SL Valley guy - I like it here.

Other places I'd like to live:

Certain southern Utah towns like Boulder or Bicknell/Torrey.

Mackay, ID. My grandpa had a ranch there. Very small town but it's beautiful. Nestled in between the Sawtooth mountains - gateway to the central Idaho wilderness area.

SF Bay area - I actually lived there, but didn't want to pay a half mil for a tin-roof shack. Maybe the housing market will bomb and I can move back. :)

San Diego - do I have to explain this one?

Sonora, CA. I LOVE the Sierra foothills.

Interestingly enough, many of these places are all in what I consider to be located in a socialist hell-hole. Weather and scenery sure go a long way I guess.