cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   BYU's solution to its basketball woes: (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5994)

SeattleUte 01-15-2007 10:18 PM

BYU's solution to its basketball woes:

BYU has solved its basketball woes by keeping its thoroughbreds from going on missions. I wish somebody would tell Foster he's off the hook.

All-American 01-15-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 53836)
BYU has solved its basketball woes by keeping its thoroughbreds from going on missions. I wish somebody would tell Foster he's off the hook.

An even easier solution would be to admit that the church is false. That way, not only would we do away with missions, we could also allow sports to retain its position of supreme importance in the 21st century. This would also free up about 10% of the fan base's income-- some of which would HAVE to end up in the athletics department.

BlueHair 01-15-2007 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 53840)
An even easier solution would be to admit that the church is false. That way, not only would we do away with missions, we could also allow sports to retain its position of supreme importance in the 21st century. This would also free up about 10% of the fan base's income-- some of which would HAVE to end up in the athletics department.

I like this idea. Do you think it wiil work?

Mormon Red Death 01-16-2007 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 53836)

Please.... he had one good game and all of sudden he is the saviour of the ute program? Why don't we wait for him to average a double double before we start trying to pressure him to not go on a mission

il Padrino Ute 01-16-2007 02:19 AM

SU is being selfish. He doesn't care about Foster or whether Foster might hurt his chances to play in the NBA. He only cares about himself and how his self esteem is bolstered when the Ute have on-court success.

SeattleUte 01-16-2007 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 53883)
SU is being selfish. He doesn't care about Foster or whether Foster might hurt his chances to play in the NBA. He only cares about himself and how his self esteem is bolstered when the Ute have on-court success.

No. I think he'll be happier if he doesn't go. I think he'll be better off.

il Padrino Ute 01-16-2007 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 53889)

Right.

Are you glad you went?

RockyBalboa 01-16-2007 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 53889)

Christ loves in spite of your arrogant apostasy and blatant disregard for your bizarre abuse towards others in your life.

lol...you're so easy to figure out.

SeattleUte 01-16-2007 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 53895)
Right.

Are you glad you went?

I don't think it would do me any good to regret two years of my life, and that's not my style. It was a learning experience, I'll tell you that. And its lessons only became more evident as time passed. But would I go if, say, there were such thing as reincarnation and we lived our lives again knowing everything we learned in the prior life? No. I wouldn't.

il Padrino Ute 01-16-2007 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 53905)
I don't think it would do me any good to regret two years of my life, and that's not my style. It was a learning experience, I'll tell you that. And its lessons only became more evident as time passed. But would I go if, say, there were such thing as reincarnation and we lived our lives again knowing everything we learned in the prior life? No. I wouldn't.

Ok then, why not allow Foster the same?

RockyBalboa 01-16-2007 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 53906)
Ok then, why not allow Foster the same?

Because he'd rather raise the ire of others on here by saying what he does and then see what kind of reaction he can get from church members. U and Y fans alike.

mpfunk 01-16-2007 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 53918)
Because he'd rather raise the ire of others on here by saying what he does and then see what kind of reaction he can get from church members. U and Y fans alike.

Or maybe he honestly believes that Foster would be better off not going on a mission. I certainly don't agree with him, but he may actually believe what he is posting.

il Padrino Ute 01-16-2007 03:58 AM

He may believe Foster would be better off not serving a mission, but he certainly doesn't have Foster's best interest at heart. It's all about wanting Foster to play basketball for the Utes in order for him (SU) to be happy with the team.

SeattleUte 01-16-2007 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 53929)
He may believe Foster would be better off not serving a mission, but he certainly doesn't have Foster's best interest at heart. It's all about wanting Foster to play basketball for the Utes in order for him (SU) to be happy with the team.

No, you are distorting something I said on Utefans. I take special interest in Foster as a Ute fan. But as an abstract proposition I believe there are better uses of one's time than spending two years on a Mormon mission. I honestly believe that, and I might add that most people would agree with me, and they are not disproportionately comprised of bad people. None of my children, including my two sons, will be playing for the Utes, and I won't be encouraging any of them to go on missions. This doesn't make me evil; only in a very few places, relatively speaking, would I be considered such for holding this view.

il Padrino Ute 01-16-2007 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 53933)
No, you are distorting something I said on Utefans. I take special interest in Foster as a Ute fan. But as an abstract proposition I believe there are better uses of one's time than spending two years on a Mormon mission. I honestly believe that, and I might add that most people would agree with me, and they are not disproportionately comprised of bad people. None of my children, including my two sons, will be playing for the Utes, and I won't be encouraging any of them to go on missions. This doesn't make me evil; only in a very few places, relatively speaking, would I be considered such for holding this view.

I never said you were evil; only that you were selfish.

While you may feel that you have his best interest at heart, you're forgetting one very major detail: Only Foster knows what is best for Foster. Your opinion, my opinion or any other's opinion is 100% irrelevant.

YOhio 01-16-2007 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 53937)
I never said you were evil; only that you were selfish.

While you may feel that you have his best interest at heart, you're forgetting one very major detail: Only Foster knows what is best for Foster. Your opinion, my opinion or any other's opinion is 100% irrelevant.

We're sports fans, best interests are counted by W's and L's. ;-)

I am constantly amazed at how quickly an innocuous comment by SU can send a board into meltdown. I expect it of Cougarboard, but I'm surprised that the intellects at the Guard fall for it. I encourage a more charitable reading of his comments. I don't think he's as devious as this thread would implicate.

All-American 01-16-2007 05:29 AM

True enough.

jay santos 01-16-2007 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 53940)
We're sports fans, best interests are counted by W's and L's. ;-)

I am constantly amazed at how quickly an innocuous comment by SU can send a board into meltdown. I expect it of Cougarboard, but I'm surprised that the intellects at the Guard fall for it. I encourage a more charitable reading of his comments. I don't think he's as devious as this thread would implicate.

He's every bit as devious as this thread would implicate. However, what he says in this thread specifically is pretty innocuous. I was pretty happy when I heard Plaisted wasn't going on a mission.

myboynoah 01-16-2007 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 53981)
He's every bit as devious as this thread would implicate. However, what he says in this thread specifically is pretty innocuous. I was pretty happy when I heard Plaisted wasn't going on a mission.

Me too. In a perfect world, I would have preferred that he be inclined to do so, but wasn't. What am I to do? The Lord moves in mysterious ways.

Goatnapper'96 01-17-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 53982)
Me too. In a perfect world, I would have preferred that he be inclined to do so, but wasn't. What am I to do? The Lord moves in mysterious ways.

I think both Jimmer Fredette and Jonathon Tavernari have been upfront that neither plan to serve missions.

How unfortunate for the BYU hoops fan......

myboynoah 01-17-2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 54215)
I think both Jimmer Fredette and Jonathon Tavernari have been upfront that neither plan to serve missions.

How unfortunate for the BYU hoops fan......

Wow. It appears that SU has exposed Rose's interesting strategy for recruiting the LDS athlete: focus on those NOT planning to serve missions.

If it delivers a sweep of the Utes this year, then I say we run with it.

And what's up with that name? Jimmer? Is this some white, regional mispronunciation/confusion akin to "Anferny?"