cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Plaisted is a huge defensive liability right now (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7091)

cougjunkie 03-16-2007 02:14 AM

Plaisted is a huge defensive liability right now

The fact that we are tied at 30 is a miracle. We are playing horrendous and Plaisted is so F&*(ing slow to get back after he shows the switch.

ute4ever 03-16-2007 02:20 AM

I am not watching the game (my affiliate is showing Gonzaga), but your description reminds me of Doleac in the national championship game in '98, too tired to hustle down court. Of course you remember what happened, when Kentucky had that 5-on-4 advantage on offense.

BarbaraGordon 03-16-2007 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 65974)
I am not watching the game (my affiliate is showing Gonzaga), but your description reminds me of Doleac in the national championship game in '98, too tired to hustle down court. Of course you remember what happened, when Kentucky had that 5-on-4 advantage on offense.

You know you can watch it online?

cougjunkie 03-16-2007 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 65974)

Similar They are overplaying Lavender so freaking much that Plaisted is showing switch on everything and then is about 2 steps slow to get back and they are drilling threes, he is walking back to his man.

The fact that we are still up 6 is a minor miracle. I thought we would own the paint and the boards, instead we are getting owned in the paint and on the boards. I bet Keena is 2-10 shooting and Trent is not much better.

myboynoah 03-16-2007 02:35 AM

What's up with allowing the X-men so many stinking O-rebounds? There was one stretch where it seemed like Xavier had a 3-minute possession. I can't believe we are in the lead. If TP doesn't get his head straight, we are going to be one and done.

cougjunkie 03-16-2007 02:39 AM

I think because we are playing zone especially a 2:1:2 we are not rebounding well, you get lazy in a zone when it comes to rebounding. Essentially you only have two guys down low to rebound in this defense and if the shot comes from the corner one of your guys is rushing to guard the three, so only one guy is downlow now. But we struggle in man to man as well because we are slow on our switches. It is going to be a dog fight in the second half.

MikeWaters 03-16-2007 02:40 AM

even more disturbing is that he can't even get on the block. He is so damn weak! I want to poke him in the eye!

cougjunkie 03-16-2007 02:45 AM

Keena starts the 2nd half very hot.

MikeWaters 03-16-2007 02:53 AM

KY sliding in and out. Real smooth.

cougjunkie 03-16-2007 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 65982)

If TP starts cleaning up the mess we will run away.

Interesting that X and Y are playing each other.

myboynoah 03-16-2007 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 65982)

It was only a matter of time before someone went there.

:)

cougjunkie 03-16-2007 03:00 AM

Rose responds with a big three. The foul situation is a joke 7-1 in team fouls right now, Xavier shoots the rest of the way. its amazing that BYU has scored all of the their second half points in the paint except 3, Xavier has shot nothing but jumpers and yet the team fouls are that big of a difference.

Free throws will loom large in this game.

MikeWaters 03-16-2007 03:05 AM

BYU not playing defense. Xavier guys licking finger and putting it in the air to check air currents before shooting 3s.

MikeWaters 03-16-2007 03:09 AM

I think this is the game that even homers realize that Trent, as presently constituted, is a combine-numbers good-on-paper not-effective-on-the-court basketball player.

cougjunkie 03-16-2007 03:42 AM

BYU choked!

This is bullshit-how come for once someone cant step up and make a play, Ainge had 3 crucial point blank jumpers that he missed long, every one of them.

Xavier is not a great team, we played horrible defense, and Plaisted looked bad.

RockyBalboa 03-16-2007 03:49 AM

Great season, bad ending. Plaisteds last 5 minutes were a major defensive abomination. Even the slightest of head fakes sends him into the 10th row.

BYU had every chance to win this game in spite of the laughable and huge free throw attempt disparity. Simply put BYU choked.

Oh well. Great season. Spring football is next.

TheSizzle36 03-16-2007 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 65988)
BYU choked!

This is bullshit-how come for once someone cant step up and make a play, Ainge had 3 crucial point blank jumpers that he missed long, every one of them.

Xavier is not a great team, we played horrible defense, and Plaisted looked bad.

Yup. Very disappointed. Very frustrated. At least my baby is 7 weeks old tomorrow... there is some consolation for me.

bluegoose 03-16-2007 03:59 AM

Xavier was not that good. I am very disappointed in the loss. Keena had a solid second half. TP failed to show up tonight. Xavier owned the boards and made the cougs looked like slow white guys that couldn't jump. Ainge played well through most of the game until the last 2 minutes and then missed several jumpers that he makes 7 out of 10 times.

Dollman(Sp??) impressed in the 2nd half. I believed the announcers just proposed to "The littlest man on the court".

In the end, I am ticked that they lost, but it really wouldn't matter as OSU will absolutely destroy XU. Watching the OSU game earlier, I felt kind of like I did back in the early 90's with Shawn Bradley in the tourney, praying that we would lose to, I believe, LSU so we wouldn't have to get embarassed in round 2 against an incredible Oklahoma team.

SteelBlue 03-16-2007 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 65987)
I think this is the game that even homers realize that Trent, as presently constituted, is a combine-numbers good-on-paper not-effective-on-the-court basketball player.

I'd revise that to a combine numbers-good on paper-decent in MWC play-not yet effective (at times a liability) in a big/meaningful game player.

Re: combine numbers, I'm not sure I believe in the 4.6 40 time. In fact, I don't believe it.

myboynoah 03-16-2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 66015)
I'd revise that to a combine numbers-good on paper-decent in MWC play-not yet effective (at times a liability) in a big/meaningful game player.

Re: combine numbers, I'm not sure I believe in the 4.6 40 time. In fact, I don't believe it.

Yeah, something's got to happen with TP. Getting that reboud with 10 left and just throwing it at the basket. A decent big man is strong enough to take time to establish his pivot, turn and shoot a nice soft righty jump hook to tie the game. Or get fouled at make the fts. Please someone tell me this was just a sophomore jinx.

Oh well, bluegoose is correct, OSU would have just killed us.

SeattleUte 03-16-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 66026)
Oh well, bluegoose is correct, OSU would have just killed us.

That's no consolation. The point is to be where you had a shot at OSU.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

--Dylan Thomas

SteelBlue 03-16-2007 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 66027)

Amen. Plus, we'd have had a full day to dream about an incredible upset.

myboynoah 03-16-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Believe me, I'm not consoled.

Nice poem.

Also, I plagarized two thirds of your "teenie weenie weenie" on CB today and didn't credit you. I'm going through the Rs of repentance and am up to recognition but can't get past remorse, in that I feel none. I'll keep you posted.

SeattleUte 03-16-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 66029)
Amen. Plus, we'd have had a full day to dream about an incredible upset.

The thing about the NCAA playoffs is everyone always has a chance.

SeattleUte 03-16-2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 66034)
Believe me, I'm not consoled.

Nice poem.

Also, I plagarized two thirds of your "teenie weenie weenie" on CB today and didn't credit you. I'm going through the Rs of repentance and am up to recognition but can't get past remorse, in that I feel none. I'll keep you posted.

Uh, that regrettable fellow on Utefans isn't me. He's uncouth and unbelievably pompous and arrogant and insensitive to Mormon feelings. I tried to get him to change his name to stop him from embarrasing me and he said he would for $10,000. I would really like to meet up wiht him in a dark alley. I know I'm not alone in that feeling.

il Padrino Ute 03-16-2007 03:37 PM

Quote:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

--Dylan Thomas

Dylan Thomas?

I thought this was the work of Rodney Dangerfield. ;)