cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Anyone here's wife make more money than you? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7917)

MikeWaters 04-25-2007 07:13 PM

Anyone here's wife make more money than you?

Throwing this out to everyone. Except SeattleUte whom we already know makes less than his wife.

I read a news report from Japan that a guy committed suicide when his wife started making more money than him.

Indy Coug 04-25-2007 07:19 PM

She did before our first daughter was born. Now she's in the home where she belongs. ;)

SteelBlue 04-25-2007 07:19 PM

I'd throw a party.

MikeWaters 04-25-2007 07:22 PM

I was speaking to my brother-in-law about dating in DC, and he feels a bit intimidated by the relatively career-minded Mormon women.

I told him, don't worry, it's a balance, most do fine, and daycare for your children isn't as bad as it sounds!

Indy Coug 04-25-2007 07:31 PM

My wife decided to be a stay at home mom because she experienced daycare as a child and hated it.

myboynoah 04-25-2007 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 76471)
She did before our first daughter was born. Now she's in the home where she belongs. ;)

You go girl!

Same thing happened to me. It was great.

RockyBalboa 04-25-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 76480)
My wife decided to be a stay at home mom because she experienced daycare as a child and hated it.

My mom had a daycare in our house while I was growing up.

Seeing it firsthand for many years of my life I saw the impact and the difference having a parent in the home and not in the home has.

I'm not making a judgement either way, as I'll always support my future Mrs if she decides she wants to pursue a career, but if I had a choice it would be that she stays at home to take care of the kids.

Detroitdad 04-25-2007 08:03 PM

My wife makes more than I do and has for the entire length of our courtship and marriage. I am very proud of her.

Archaea 04-25-2007 08:52 PM

Only in my dreams. The thought that my wife might want to be gainfully employable is a pipe dream.

SeattleUte 04-25-2007 08:59 PM

My wife makes slightly less than me but net out the alimony I pay and she makes substantially more. Alimony is not taxable income, it's not even a deduction. Waters probably thought that was a jab, but it's not to me. She's also 14 years younger than me, so, yes, she's a superstar.

Indy Coug 04-25-2007 09:00 PM

My wife was on the verge of becoming gainfully employed again, until the Ninja Stork struck.

Junior arrives in 6 weeks.

Mormon Red Death 04-25-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 76467)
Throwing this out to everyone. Except SeattleUte whom we already know makes less than his wife.

I read a news report from Japan that a guy committed suicide when his wife started making more money than him.

When the kids get to grade school my wife wants to be CRNA (another 4 years) ... When she finishes that she has the potential to make a lot more than me.

MikeWaters 04-25-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 76510)
My wife was on the verge of becoming gainfully employed again, until the Ninja Stork struck.

Junior arrives in 6 weeks.

May he be blessed with his mother's intellect.

:)

Archaea 04-25-2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 76509)
My wife makes slightly less than me but net out the alimony I pay and she makes substantially more. Alimony is not taxable income, it's not even a deduction. Waters probably thought that was a jab, but it's not to me. She's also 14 years younger than me, so, yes, she's a superstar.

Are you certain?

In our state, child support payments are not deductible for the payer and not recorded as income for the recipient, but I have always been informed that alimony is income and tax deductible for the payer.

I believe I might even be able to find a code section on that.

And I'm with you, I'm all ready to be a kept man.

RC Vikings 04-25-2007 09:38 PM

I have no idea what she even makes but I know I make more. We have a deal where the money I make is our money and the money she makes is her money. I think next time I marry for money.

SeattleUte 04-25-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 76519)
Are you certain?

In our state, child support payments are not deductible for the payer and not recorded as income for the recipient, but I have always been informed that alimony is income and tax deductible for the payer.

I believe I might even be able to find a code section on that.

And I'm with you, I'm all ready to be a kept man.

I said alimony. I pay CS too, and that's not deductible. My ex, like your wife, had no career. It sucks. Two more years.

cougjunkie 04-25-2007 09:50 PM

My wife makes nothing, therefore i make slightly more than she does.

Before she had our child she worked and did pretty well, i miss having two incomes. Of course my wife is a lot like archaeas wife (at least from his description) she is trying to live her champagne and caviar dreams on a costco hotdog and can soda budget.

Archaea 04-25-2007 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 76531)
I said alimony. I pay CP too, and that's not deductible. My ex, like your wife, had no career. It sucks. Two more years.

Go back and read what you said about alimony to see why I queried you.

SeattleUte 04-25-2007 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 76536)
Go back and read what you said about alimony to see why I queried you.

Now I read your post more closely.

Your information is wrong as to federal taxation. Alimony is taxable to the recipient not the payor. So in a sense, the federal government helps finance expensive divorses, especially if the alimony recipient lives in a house with a big mortgage and and the mortgage deduction knocks out a chunk of income taxes on the alimony. You may be talking about state tax. We don't have that here.

UteStar 04-25-2007 10:03 PM

My wife works part time, but if she worked full time, it would be close. I told her if she can show that she will make more than me, I would be happy to stay home with the kids. I think she will continue to work part time (she does it mainly because she enjoys staying active...and our two kids are watched by their cousin a few afternoons a week).

Hopefully one day I can be a stay at home dad and work on my dance moves to match the Swayze.

Archaea 04-25-2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 76539)
Now I read your post more closely.

Your information is wrong as to federal taxation. Alimony is taxable to the recipient not the payor. So in a sense, the federal government helps finance expensive divorses, especially if the alimony recipient lives in a house with a big mortgage and and the mortgage deduction knocks out a chunk of income taxes on the alimony. You may be talking about state tax. We don't have that here.

Your original post stated alimony is not deductible.

I stated it is deductible for the payer and charged as income to the recipient, unlike child support which is neither deductible nor chargeable.

We have no state income tax, we don't believe in taxation here, except upon visitors.

Here is your original quote in pertinent part:

"Alimony is not taxable income, it's not even a deduction."

I beg to differ. That is a correct statement for child support not alimony.

SoCalCoug 04-25-2007 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 76509)

Alimony is taxable to the receiving spouse and deductible by the payor spouse (as long as it's pursuant to written agreement or order).

Child support is not taxable, nor is it deductible.

I am 100% certain these are the IRS rules. (There are certain exigencies which would make alimony non-deductible, but they are certainly the exception rather than the rule).

Archaea 04-25-2007 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalCoug (Post 76544)
Alimony is taxable to the receiving spouse and deductible by the payor spouse (as long as it's pursuant to written agreement or order).

I am 100% certain these are the IRS rules. (There are certain exigencies which would make alimony non-deductible, but they are certainly the exception rather than the rule).

Lump sum, non-modifiable alimony? I've received two different answers.

Solon 04-25-2007 10:31 PM

Quote:

My wife makes more than double what I make. Granted, I only pulled down 12K last year, but she's in graduate school too.

And she's taller than me.

And she's two years older than me.

I'm the anti-male (but not a female).

BigFatMeanie 04-25-2007 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 76547)
My wife makes more than double what I make. Granted, I only pulled down 12K last year, but she's in graduate school too.

Dude, I wouldn't mind it if my wife were taller than me. Mrs. Meanie is short. Times I wish she was taller:

- hugging
- kissing
- dancing (both horizontal and vertical)
- any time she asks me to get my lard butt off the couch and come reach something up on a self

BigFatMeanie 04-25-2007 10:51 PM

Mrs. Meanie makes zilch and has since our first child was born. I've asked her if she wants to work part time when the kids are in school. She wasn't enthusiastic about it. Why should she be? She currently gets to spend it without having to make it - who wouldn't want that?

SoCalCoug 04-25-2007 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 76545)
Lump sum, non-modifiable alimony? I've received two different answers.

A lump sum in lieu of periodic payments, I believe, is not deductible - part of the IRS definition of "alimony" includes a requirement that it be periodic payments.

Archaea 04-25-2007 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalCoug (Post 76557)
A lump sum in lieu of periodic payments, I believe, is not deductible - part of the IRS definition of "alimony" includes a requirement that it be periodic payments.

That's the traditional answer, but a law firm which billed its client ten of thousands for the research came to the opposite conclusion.

FarrahWaters 04-25-2007 11:25 PM

Quote:

And Mike wonders why I don't want to live in Japan. ;)

It probably doesn't count, but I obviously made more money than him while he was in med school. I actually like working. But, a full-time job, all the housework, and all the cooking is too much for me. Working from home part-time (very, very part-time) allows me to still be home with the young kiddos.... and it helps keep me sane.

Archaea 04-25-2007 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 76555)
Mrs. Meanie makes zilch and has since our first child was born. I've asked her if she wants to work part time when the kids are in school. She wasn't enthusiastic about it. Why should she be? She currently gets to spend it without having to make it - who wouldn't want that?

My wife must have converted yours. Mine is convinced I will be supporting her, no matter her continued affiliation with me or not.

marsupial 04-25-2007 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 76528)
I have no idea what she even makes but I know I make more. We have a deal where the money I make is our money and the money she makes is her money. I think next time I marry for money.

That makes me laugh. You guys are like my folks. My dad always says according to my mom, "It's our money and her money."

I make more than Danimal if you go by our hourly wage, but since I only work like 5-7 hours a week, he makes more.

Archaea 04-25-2007 11:45 PM

Women are communist leaders, what's mine is hers, what's hers is hers and nobody else gets a vote.

YOhio 04-25-2007 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 76547)

And she went to a better school.

Solon 04-25-2007 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 76570)
And she went to a better school.

You betcha. The Harvard of the West.;)

SeattleUte 04-26-2007 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 76541)
Your original post stated alimony is not deductible.

I stated it is deductible for the payer and charged as income to the recipient, unlike child support which is neither deductible nor chargeable.

We have no state income tax, we don't believe in taxation here, except upon visitors.

Here is your original quote in pertinent part:

"Alimony is not taxable income, it's not even a deduction."

I beg to differ. That is a correct statement for child support not alimony.

I meant it's not taxable income to the payor. It doesn't even appear on my return. It's above the line. That makes a difference because above certain income levels deductions and exemptions start disappearing and getting compressed. My only point was that alimony I pay to my ex is not my income in any shape or form.

SeattleUte 04-26-2007 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalCoug (Post 76544)

I meant it's not my taxable income but my ex's taxable income.

SoCalCoug 04-26-2007 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 76574)
I meant it's not my taxable income but my ex's taxable income.

You are correct.

il Padrino Ute 04-26-2007 01:03 AM

My wife is a stay at home mom and works her butt off. I've seen what she does and I'd never want to work that hard.

ute4ever 04-26-2007 01:18 AM

I've been unemployed all school year, so it's safe to say Hot Marine Girlfriend makes about 10,000x more money than I.

Jeff Lebowski 04-26-2007 01:24 AM

Sometimes she spends more money that I make. Does that count?