cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cycling (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Heart Rate Monitors? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18261)

The Borg 04-04-2008 05:59 PM

Heart Rate Monitors?

A little confused on buying a HRM.

Recommendations on ones you have tried and liked? Wrist?...or bike computer? Those here that use them...can you offer me some tips on what features are actually used and those that are 'useless'? Have never used one before and am looking to pick one up.

So many out there, I'd like to know the likes and dislikes, and the features you use vs. those that you don't.

I noticed that this weekend, there is a 10% off at Performance...are there any additional breaks if you use codes from CG anymore or go through this site?

Thanks in advance.

Archaea 04-04-2008 06:41 PM

I tend to put mine on the bike, though I have ceased using them.

The Borg 04-04-2008 06:50 PM

Arch-

I respect your opinions....why have you stopped using HRM's?

bluegoose 04-04-2008 06:55 PM

I use mine all the time. Since I also run, I use a wrist watch monitor with chest strap. If you plan to use it only on one bike, then a bike mounted computer is very convenient. If you also plan to mountain bike, get one with two sensor and that is capable of calibrating it for two different bikes. If you plan to run or do a spinning class,then get the wrist kind.

You don't need a whole lot of fluff as far as features go. Most of them come with programmable zones where it will alert you by beep if you are going either too hard or too easy, depending on what type of workout you want. They also usually come with a max and average HR function. Mine has all of this but I rarely anything more than the real-time HR monitor.

Bike computer functions is a whole different discussion.

bluegoose 04-04-2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Borg (Post 205025)
Arch-

I respect your opinions....why have you stopped using HRM's?

Cuz he's a pansy and in his advancing years isn't able to get his HR high enough to worry about monitoring. HR usually doesn't get too high putting in dentures and stirring Metamucil.

The Borg 04-04-2008 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 205030)
Cuz he's a pansy and in his advancing years isn't able to get his HR high enough to worry about monitoring. HR usually doesn't get too high putting in dentures and stirring Metamucil.

Bwaa haa haaa!

I see there is no disputing this claim either. Arch?

Archaea 04-04-2008 08:54 PM

Laziness and because I know what my heartrate is most of the time. I get frustrated with the heartrate strap. I won't slow down if it's too high, but occasionally it makes me work harder.