cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The Mission (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20889)

MikeWaters 07-14-2008 05:09 AM

The Mission

just watched it again tonight. Jeremy Irons and Robert De Niro.

Really a class film. Great score. Two class actors in Irons and De Niro. A great film about the moral choices we make, the sacrifices we either choose or do not.

We could use a few more films like The Mission.

Sleeping in EQ 07-14-2008 04:35 PM

A great film all the way around.

I picked up a special edition of Chinatown on closeout for $4.99 today. It was sitting next to a $16.99 copy of Spiderman 3.

Sometimes the pervasiveness of bad taste works in my favor.

creekster 07-14-2008 04:38 PM

The Mission is one of my favorites, as well. Great actors doing a great job of acting, lush setting lovingly filmed and with an absolutely beautfiul score. Fabulous film.

Flystripper 07-14-2008 05:20 PM

Fantastic movie. It has been a long time since I have seen it. I will watch it again soon. Thanks for the reminder.

SeattleUte 07-14-2008 06:03 PM

I remember being excited to see this as it's my kind of film, but when I saw it something seemed mssing. But it was ages ago. I'll try again and give you my verdict.

Waters, have you seen Aguire the Wrath of God? I think you'd love it if you haven't. Werner Herzog.

MikeWaters 07-14-2008 06:04 PM

Let's not get carried away. The Mission is a class fim. Not necessarily the best film ever.

I think the Mission would have been better as a 6hr miniseries. The intrigue, the moral dilemmas would have the time to play out.

creekster 07-14-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 241987)
I remember being excited to see this as it's my kind of film, but when I saw it something seemed mssing. But it was ages ago. I'll try again and give you my verdict.

Waters, have you seen Aguire the Wrath of God? I think you'd love it if you haven't. Werner Herzog.

Aguirre was very good, but the music int he Mission was better and that carries the day for me. Waters is right that a longer version seems like it would have been better, but not as a TV miniseries, as then we would have had a dilution in the quality of other elements.

MikeWaters 07-14-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 241994)
Aguirre was very good, but the music int he Mission was better and that carries the day for me. Waters is right that a longer version seems like it would have been better, but not as a TV miniseries, as then we would have had a dilution in the quality of other elements.

as in the national geographic boobage?

creekster 07-14-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 241991)
Let's not get carried away. The Mission is a class fim. Not necessarily the best film ever.

I think the Mission would have been better as a 6hr miniseries. The intrigue, the moral dilemmas would have the time to play out.

Let's see, who was it that said it was the best ever? That's right, no one. Thanks for the warning, however.