cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A question for the Orthodox: (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25776)

Archaea 04-05-2009 06:14 PM

A question for the Orthodox:

Indy, tooblue and Tex.

Do you believe that there's no human element in the selection of an apostle and that the men selected are the sole individuals whom the Lord could select?

Or are there multiple individuals whom the President could have the discretion to select, which would be approved by God?

Indy Coug 04-05-2009 08:21 PM

I don't really care.

Archaea 04-05-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 303056)
I don't really care.

So you agree these leaders really don't impact you as an adult member, unless you are in upper management?

Indy Coug 04-05-2009 10:08 PM

I agree with President Monson's statement given circa 3:45 PM Mountain Time today:

(Paraphrased) 'I testify that he [Elder Andersen] is "the man" the Lord would have in this position.'

Given that, I really don't care about the particulars.

Archaea 04-05-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 303062)
I agree with President Monson's statement given circa 3:45 PM Mountain Time today:

(Paraphrased) 'I testify that he [Elder Andersen] is "the man" the Lord would have in this position.'

Given that, I really don't care about the particulars.

An actuary with no concern for details, aberrations or outliers, how irregular.

MikeWaters 04-05-2009 10:55 PM

Everything that involves humans has a human element, by definition.

Indy Coug 04-06-2009 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 303064)
An actuary with no concern for details, aberrations or outliers, how irregular.

First, this is strictly a qualitative question. Second, there is no evidence that a unique solution is present or even necessary. Third, a prophet testified the Lord is on board with the selection.

What's the problem?

Archaea 04-06-2009 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 303072)
First, this is strictly a qualitative question. Second, there is no evidence that a unique solution is present or even necessary. Third, a prophet testified the Lord is on board with the selection.

What's the problem?

So you're results oriented and not the least bit interested in the process or method?

Are prophets infallible?

Tex 04-06-2009 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 303041)
Indy, tooblue and Tex.

Do you believe that there's no human element in the selection of an apostle and that the men selected are the sole individuals whom the Lord could select?

Or are there multiple individuals whom the President could have the discretion to select, which would be approved by God?

In his press conference today, Elder Andersen was delicately asked by an AP reporter what he would say to the large number of minorities joining the church about why the open position in the quorum was not filled by someone from their ranks.

He responded that he could name off 5 different individuals for whom, were they called, he would happily raise his hand to sustain them higher than anyone else. He elaborated that he thought there were many righteous people who could fill this calling, but the Lord is who makes that decision. It is his responsibility neither to seek nor to decline, but to accept in humility.

I agree with him.

If your question is more about mechanics, how-does-it-work, well, there I can't help you. In my own personal ministry, I've had moments both where revelation has come like a thunderclap, and others where I've felt the Lord wanted me to work it out on my own.

I don't suppose it's possible to know really how the Lord communicated "Neil Andersen" to Thomas Monson, but I believe the prophet when he declares that this is the man he wants in this position at this time.

fusnik11 04-06-2009 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 303081)
He responded that he could name off 5 different individuals for whom, were they called, he would happily raise his hand to sustain them higher than anyone else. He elaborated that he thought there were many righteous people who could fill this calling, but the Lord is who makes that decision. It is his responsibility neither to seek nor to decline, but to accept in humility.

I agree with him.

Five is pretty weak don't you think? Of the hundreds of minority leadership he has dealt with, he could sustain five? Congrats to him. Institutional racism in the church, loud and proud.