cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   My 5 favorite bass lines... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1646)

il Padrino Ute 03-20-2006 04:39 AM

My 5 favorite bass lines...

I've been teaching myself to play the bass guitar and decided that the best way to learn is to play along with various CDs. These 5 songs with my favorite bass line (I can only play the first one; not good enough to keep up with the others):

1. Under the Milky Way - The Church

2. Whisper to a Scream (Birds Fly) - Icicle Works

3. Clocks - Coldplay

4. What You Need - INXS

5. Weird Science - Oingo Boingo

Honorable mention to:

My Sharona - The Knack

mpfunk 03-20-2006 07:46 AM

Now this is tough to say to Garth, considering that I actually like him but any bass lines list that does not include Parliament's Flashlight must be completely disregarded. I am sorry about this, but is simply the rules.

Sleeping in EQ 03-20-2006 09:09 PM

A bass playing buddy of mine

loves to play Aersmith's Sweet Emotion. The bass line isn't too tough, but it's showy enough to like. You might give it a try.

Parrot Head 03-20-2006 09:34 PM

I saw the topic and got all excited thinking we were going to talk about 8- or 12-pound test line, maybe some monofilament or, my favorite, Trilene.

Different Bass Lines

UtahDan 03-21-2006 01:46 AM

Re: My 5 favorite bass lines...

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
I've been teaching myself to play the bass guitar and decided that the best way to learn is to play along with various CDs. These 5 songs with my favorite bass line (I can only play the first one; not good enough to keep up with the others):

1. Under the Milky Way - The Church

2. Whisper to a Scream (Birds Fly) - Icicle Works

3. Clocks - Coldplay

4. What You Need - INXS

5. Weird Science - Oingo Boingo

Honorable mention to:

My Sharona - The Knack

A couple of my favorites:

Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes (simple buy catchy)

I Will Survive - Cake (Gloria Gaynor cover)

il Padrino Ute 03-21-2006 02:04 AM

Re: A bass playing buddy of mine

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ
loves to play Aersmith's Sweet Emotion. The bass line isn't too tough, but it's showy enough to like. You might give it a try.

That is a good one too. I'll try it. So is the line from China Grove by the Doobie Bros.

And yes, mp, Parliment is nothing short of pure groove, but I'm not nearly cool enough to play that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrot Head
I saw the topic and got all excited thinking we were going to talk about 8- or 12-pound test line, maybe some monofilament or, my favorite, Trilene.

I'm with you. Trilene is what I use if I'm trying to land those fighters. ;)

Parrot Head 03-21-2006 07:23 PM

Speaking of... Man catches 25-pound bass that might be a world record by 3 pounds.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...320bigbass.jpg

il Padrino Ute 03-22-2006 12:50 AM

That's a terrific trophy fish. I wonder if it's female, as it looks like it's loaded with eggs.

outlier 03-22-2006 01:28 AM

Bass lines: Anything by Death from Above 1979. If you haven't heard 'em... It's a two-piece band from Montreal that does very hard, very tense, ultimately dance music. I'll stop trying to bring them up now.

L8,

o

il Padrino Ute 03-22-2006 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outlier
Bass lines: Anything by Death from Above 1979. If you haven't heard 'em... It's a two-piece band from Montreal that does very hard, very tense, ultimately dance music. I'll stop trying to bring them up now.

L8,

o

Is there anyplace online where I can get a little listen to Death from Above? I'm (almost) always willing to give something a try, especially when it comes to music.