cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Outdoor / Scouting / Survival (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Best .22 rifle to get (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2336)

MikeWaters 05-19-2006 03:00 AM

Best .22 rifle to get

Well, we will probably be shooting on a campout or two. I'm a gun owner, but I don't particularly want to take my guns because I don't want to pay for the ammo! (how cheap is that).

But if I had a .22, it would be much more economical, and still be fun for all involved. Plus after armageddon, it will useful in the urban environment to shoot and eat squirrels.

So I know they sell the Marlin semi-auto for dirt cheap. Less than 100. I'm not that into having a semi-auto 22. What I'd really like is a lever action. They sell a Henry .22 lever action for about $200. Anyone have an opinion on it?

I'd rather even have a bolt action than a semi-auto.

Jeff Lebowski 05-19-2006 03:26 AM

What's the matter with you? Semi-auto is the only way to go.

Get a Ruger 10/22. Then buy two 30-shot banana clips. You won't be sorry.

il Padrino Ute 05-19-2006 03:35 AM

I'm partial to Browning - mostly because it's a Utah company - but their rifles are rather pricey, about $400-500 for a lever action .22 rifle.

Henry is a good rifle, so are Ruger, Winchester and Marlin.

Semi-automatic rifles are fun to shoot, but there's just something about a lever or bolt action .22 that is very appealing to me. Perhaps because I can feel like Josey Wales with a lever action rifle, though Clint would mock me for it being only a .22 caliber.

MikeWaters 05-19-2006 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homeboy
What's the matter with you? Semi-auto is the only way to go.

Get a Ruger 10/22. Then buy two 30-shot banana clips. You won't be sorry.

I already have a semi-auto rifle. and yes it has 30 round clips. and 20 round clips.

what do you guys think of 22 pistols?

I have a hard time justifying $400 for a .22 rifle (Marlin 39A lever action)

Surfah 05-19-2006 03:52 AM

How about a Calico .22? Loading it can get tedious though.

il Padrino Ute 05-19-2006 04:02 AM

.22 pistols are pretty cool. Easy to shoot.

I understand the not wanting to spend that kind of money on a .22 rifle. If I didn't already have one, I wouldn't do it.

DirtyHippieUTE 05-19-2006 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters
what do you guys think of 22 pistols?

I have two. They're ok for target shooting. I have a semi auto and a revolver. When I'm teaching people to shoot I like the revolver. It's heavy and slow. The semi auto is fun but IMHO that's a problem. A .22 is small enough that people sometimes start to forget that it's a firearm and treat it like a toy.

il Padrino Ute 05-19-2006 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
I have two. They're ok for target shooting. I have a semi auto and a revolver. When I'm teaching people to shoot I like the revolver. It's heavy and slow. The semi auto is fun but IMHO that's a problem. A .22 is small enough that people sometimes start to forget that it's a firearm and treat it like a toy.

What kind of hippie are you? You own guns, you don't take drugs and you actually have morals. I doubt they'd appreciate you at Ashbury and Haight. ;)

MikeWaters 05-19-2006 04:13 AM

for someone that learned with .40, I can see how .22 would feel like a toy.

Jeff Lebowski 05-19-2006 04:20 AM

Agreed. 22 pistols are kind of weird. You need a big caliber on a pistol.