cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Give me reasons for comfort friends (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24743)

Archaea 11-16-2008 07:00 PM

Give me reasons for comfort friends

because as I evaluate the two teams, my Bayesian logic says Utah wins this game seven out of ten times.

Utah has progressed over the season and BYU has tanked since the USU game, showing no improvement, but merely appeared to be hanging on.

We have Unga, injured, and Pitta potentially injured. Our middle defense is very weak, weaker than we've ever had in a long time. Utah has two backs and some great receivers. I could see Utah lighting up the scoreboard and we not being able to keep pace.

This defense seems as weak as Bronco's first season, so a bad defeat a la TCU is a distinct possibility.

Junkie is there any reason for hope? Our offense has been sputtering, at times efficient but other times it's as if they can't walk and chew gum. It would be a treat to win this game, but I fully expect Utah to win by fourteen to twenty points and Whit will run up the score if he can to impress BCS voters. This game poses the worst scenario for BYU.

il Padrino Ute 11-16-2008 07:27 PM

How about this for a reason to help you:

It's the rivalry game. Throw all the stats, records and everything else out because the really have no bearing on the rivalry game.

Archaea 11-16-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 295368)

It's the rivalry game. Throw all the stats, records and everything else out because the really have no bearing on the rivalry game.

That's not a reason. I hope the Cougars can win, but see no reason why they should, our defense is just toooooooooo pathetic.

FMCoug 11-16-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Exactly. Except for years in which one team is substantially better than the other (i.e. 2004 or all of the 70's and 80's), you can throw expectations, records, etc. out.

exUte 11-16-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 295367)
because as I evaluate the two teams, my Bayesian logic says Utah wins this game seven out of ten times.

Utah has progressed over the season and BYU has tanked since the USU game, showing no improvement, but merely appeared to be hanging on.

We have Unga, injured, and Pitta potentially injured. Our middle defense is very weak, weaker than we've ever had in a long time. Utah has two backs and some great receivers. I could see Utah lighting up the scoreboard and we not being able to keep pace.

This defense seems as weak as Bronco's first season, so a bad defeat a la TCU is a distinct possibility.

Junkie is there any reason for hope? Our offense has been sputtering, at times efficient but other times it's as if they can't walk and chew gum. It would be a treat to win this game, but I fully expect Utah to win by fourteen to twenty points and Whit will run up the score if he can to impress BCS voters. This game poses the worst scenario for BYU.

Still thinking. Our defense is clearly our weak spot........by a long shot. They can't stop a good running game and if the QB has enough time (and we have been pathetic in our pash rush) they complete passes.

So, I'm still thinking. Sorry, no comfort.

myboynoah 11-16-2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

I'm just treating this like the next game on the schedule.

Indy Coug 11-16-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 295367)
Give me reasons for comfort...

No. You are truly incapable of being comforted.

ute4ever 11-16-2008 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 295375)
No. You are truly incapable of being comforted.

I recall that two years ago, a certain Actuary comprised a formula that showed that BYU had a 91% probability of winning the game, or something like that. Dick Harmon was so excited that he drank a Yoo-Hoo and published it.

What is this year's probability?

Indy Coug 11-16-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 295376)
I recall that two years ago, a certain Actuary comprised a formula that showed that BYU had a 91% probability of winning the game, or something like that. Dick Harmon was so excited that he drank a Yoo-Hoo and published it.

What is this year's probability?

Significantly less than 91%.

Brian 11-16-2008 10:00 PM

Look at the last two years.
All things being equal, BYU should have run away w/ both of those games.
But, emotion will make things unequal.

BTW, what happened to unga/pitta?