cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Baseball talk (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8758)

cougjunkie 06-01-2007 05:53 PM

Baseball talk

cue ilpadrino:

What do you think about A-rod yelling "HAAAAAAAAAAAA!" as he ran by the thirdbaseman of toronto causing the 3rd baseman to drop the ball?

is that bush league or good strategy?

Torontos third baseman said he thought it was the shortstop, i know when i played ball that never yelled HAAAAAAAA, when i called for the ball, usually it wa Mine or I got it.

No wonder this guy has been in the minors for 16 years.

Requiem 06-01-2007 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 86143)
cue ilpadrino:

What do you think about A-rod yelling "HAAAAAAAAAAAA!" as he ran by the thirdbaseman of toronto causing the 3rd baseman to drop the ball?

is that bush league or good strategy?

Torontos third baseman said he thought it was the shortstop, i know when i played ball that never yelled HAAAAAAAA, when i called for the ball, usually it wa Mine or I got it.

No wonder this guy has been in the minors for 16 years.

Bush league all the way. Classy players (e.g. Ripken, Aaron, etc.) won playing straight up. ARod is out of control - see his photos in Toronto going into a strip club with an unknown blonde. His wife left shortly thereafter.

il Padrino Ute 06-01-2007 06:08 PM

Requiem speaks the truth.

That is bush-league all the way. Not professional at all.

RockyBalboa 06-01-2007 06:40 PM

Did he break any rules by yelling at the guy?

The guy is a dipyewt for falling for it.

Win at all costs without cheating. I don't see a problem with it.

SteelBlue 06-01-2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 86156)
Requiem speaks the truth.

That is bush-league all the way. Not professional at all.

Yelling Haaa? Look, I hate the Yankees and Arod as much as anybody else. But yelling seems to be within the scope of what's fair. Besides there are 50,000 fans who yell at the opposing team every game. What's one more voice?

Requiem 06-01-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 86170)
Win at all costs without cheating. I don't see a problem with it.

I respectfully disagree. Sports is about more than winning - it teaches such life lessons as integrity, teamwork, respect for opponents, etc. You have unwittingly identified the conundrum faced by pro sports. In the name of winning at all costs, the NBA, NFL and MLB populate their teams with the Pacman Jones et. al. of the world. I would rather lose and keep my honor than win at any cost.

Golf is a great example of a sport where honor and integrity are prerequisites. They actually call penalties on themselves. You don't hear Tiger coughing during Phil's backswing. Is that OK in RockyWorld?

The old saying of you can "learn more about a person by playing golf with them" certainly applies. ARod was wrong and set a terrible example.

ChinoCoug 06-01-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 86192)
Golf is a great example of a sport where honor and integrity are prerequisites.

That golf is a sport is a questionable premise.

Requiem 06-01-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 86197)
That golf is a sport is a questionable premise.

Your definition of sport doesn't change the underlying premise that sportsmanship should be an integral part of any sport. By the way, golf is a very difficult sport to master - what is your handicap?

bluegoose 06-01-2007 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 86203)
what is your handicap?

My short game. And my long game. And my course management.

ChinoCoug 06-01-2007 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 86203)
Your definition of sport doesn't change the underlying premise that sportsmanship should be an integral part of any sport. By the way, golf is a very difficult sport to master - what is your handicap?

my handicap? not knowing what handicap means.

I'm not saying golf isn't a worthwhile and difficult game.