cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cycling (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Suggestions (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20704)

OrangeUte 07-07-2008 04:37 PM

Suggestions

I am wanting to get into the street bike scene and commute to work on the days that I don't have to meet with clients, etc. I am 6'4" 235-240 lbs... any suggestions on a good bike that i could invest in?

Thanks!

MikeWaters 07-07-2008 04:39 PM

what's a street bike?

Do you mean mountain bike, hybrid, road bike, cruiser?

You probably want a hybrid or a road bike. There is no one bike that is perfect. Go to a bike shop and check it out.

Archaea 07-07-2008 04:40 PM

I'd go to the local bike shop, to buy a Trek or Giant or Specialized frame. You may also consider a mountain bike frame with road wheels.

MikeWaters 07-07-2008 04:42 PM

I have a friend who rides all the time at about that weight, but slightly shorter, and he uses a titanium bike (one of the expensive ones, can't remember which) with Kysrium wheels.

But I doubt a first-time bike buyer would want to spend the $ for titanium.

creekster 07-07-2008 04:46 PM

Are you going to ride off road? At all? If not, do not get a mountain bike. You don't need it and it is not descigend to do what you want it to do.

Go to a bike shop or maybe a place like REI (where they have bike guys that work there;not just guys that also work on bikes, but guys that only work on bikes) and ask for their commuter bikes and their touring frames.

I commute on a touring frame. I am a short but wide clydesdale (you can figure that out) and the touring frame is perfect. It is sturdy, as it is intended to be ridden with a large load; it has all the brazeons needed for racks, front and back; it has larger but still road appropriate tires; it has sturdier wheels; it has freidnly gearing, designed to allow climbing with panniers and rack bags crammed full of clothes, food and camping gear.

Some examples: Surly Long Haul Trucker; Cannondale"T" series. There are others.

If you have some cash to spend, consider a custom frame. If you think you might like that, look at somebody like Bruce Gordon and then study from there.

This having been said, a touring frame is not a fast road bike and definitely not a racer. SO if you need somehtign for more than commuting or fitness rides, you might want something esle.

OrangeUte 07-07-2008 05:01 PM

i am just looking for a commuter and for a fitness bike. only roads, i'm not interested right now in a mountain bike. also, i'm not looking to set a speed record, but i don't want a huffy that is a p.o.s. either! thanks for the tips - i am also wondering what size i need. my inseam is 35", and i thought i read somewhere that the size bike frame is based on the inseam length.

creekster 07-07-2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeUte (Post 238535)
i am just looking for a commuter and for a fitness bike. only roads, i'm not interested right now in a mountain bike. also, i'm not looking to set a speed record, but i don't want a huffy that is a p.o.s. either! thanks for the tips - i am also wondering what size i need. my inseam is 35", and i thought i read somewhere that the size bike frame is based on the inseam length.

I assure the touring frames I am talking about are not a huffy-esque POS. Fraem fit depends on a lot fo things. You can't do that on-line. You need to go to a comeptent shop and find out what fits and ideally you should also ride the size to make sure you like it.

Btw, while I am no racer, I very, very rarely get passed on the ride home. A touring frame is fine for fast recreational riding.

OrangeUte 07-07-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 238537)
I assure the touring frames I am talking about are not a huffy-esque POS. Fraem fit depends on a lot fo things. You can't do that on-line. You need to go to a comeptent shop and find out what fits and ideally you should also ride the size to make sure you like it.

Btw, while I am no racer, I very, very rarely get passed on the ride home. A touring frame is fine for fast recreational riding.

creekster and all, gracias for the helpful advice! like investing in so many things, there are a lot of options out there and i don't want to throw money away on something that won't ultimately give me what i want!

MikeWaters 07-07-2008 05:22 PM

What's your budget.

My first bike was a KHS steel road bike. They are pretty cheap. And mine didn't break.

OrangeUte 07-07-2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 238567)
What's your budget.

My first bike was a KHS steel road bike. They are pretty cheap. And mine didn't break.

i am looking for around $1500.