cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   tidbit of a conversation (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30006)

MikeWaters 07-07-2017 11:29 PM

tidbit of a conversation

I was talking with a psychologist. She found out that I was Mormon. She said she was surprised as I didn't seem very dogmatic.

We got to talking about gays in particular, and I mentioned that there has been some small movement in small ways towards accepting gays. Like the video the church put out about a family deciding not to ostracize their son who came out as gay and left the church.

She said to me, "Aren't families supposed to be important to Mormons?"

I had to pause, because I felt embarrassed. "Yes."

Families torn apart. And suffering. And we are still at the level of beginning not to shun.

Small steps.

ChinoCoug 07-08-2017 12:47 AM

Yup, me too.

I was actually arguing with my co-worker on whether gender differences in academic achievement were biological.

I busted out with, "Why do brain scans show gay guys to have brains like women?"

"Oh, so you you believe gays were born that way?" she replied.

"Yes."

"Oh good, because many Christians don't accept that. They think they have to change them. I'm glad you do."

Archaea 07-15-2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 323132)
Yup, me too.

I was actually arguing with my co-worker on whether gender differences in academic achievement were biological.

I busted out with, "Why do brain scans show gay guys to have brains like women?"

"Oh, so you you believe gays were born that way?" she replied.

"Yes."

"Oh good, because many Christians don't accept that. They think they have to change them. I'm glad you do."

Psychiatrist client:

"Oh so you don't hate gays like most of LDS heritage?"

"No, why would I hate somebody doing what biology dictates?"

"I thought LDS were anti-gay?"

"Some of the older ones, but many younger ones believe like everybody else."

"Oh, so there is hope for LDS afterall, you're not all Trump idiots."

ChinoCoug 07-17-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 323137)
Psychiatrist client:

"Oh so you don't hate gays like most of LDS heritage?"

"No, why would I hate somebody doing what biology dictates?"

"I thought LDS were anti-gay?"

"Some of the older ones, but many younger ones believe like everybody else."

"Oh, so there is hope for LDS afterall, you're not all Trump idiots."

Actual or hypothetical conversation? If actual, you should show her Trump's approval ratings among Mormons.

Archaea 07-17-2017 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 323138)
Actual or hypothetical conversation? If actual, you should show her Trump's approval ratings among Mormons.

Male, actual.