cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Divine Institution of Marriage (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21574)

YOhio 08-14-2008 05:34 AM

The Divine Institution of Marriage

The church lays out the case.

http://www.newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsr...on-of-marriage

Solon 08-14-2008 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 252539)

Wow.

TripletDaddy 08-14-2008 05:51 AM

It was an interesting read, but I was hoping to read something new. It was the same stuff.

The overall layout was thus:

1. Religious argument
2. Blame gays for the bad acts of heterosexuals (divorce, abortion, single-parent households)
3. Re-emphasize religious argument
4. Predict calamity
5. Re-emphasize religious argument

Another question I have that I have yet to hear answered well......if homosexual marriage will increase the likelihood of gender confusion in children/teens, how do we explain the fact that pretty much all homosexuals today were raised in heterosexual households? I don't really see any distinct advantage in that particular area.

The repeated emphasis that children be raised by a father and mother is pointless. Gays are adopting the unwanted children that heterosexuals have basically tossed aside. Gays aren't having their own children. They are raising the children that straight people threw away.

Solon 08-14-2008 05:55 AM

You're missing the point: if we allow gay marriage, then the terrorists win.

Seriously, though. Your questions are apt. That's pretty good for a quick read late at night.

TripletDaddy 08-14-2008 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 252544)
You're missing the point: if we allow gay marriage, then the terrorists win.

Seriously, though. Your questions are apt. That's pretty good for a quick read late at night.

Tomorrow when everyone is rested, we can go over the misleading reference to Catholic Charities....an entirely different issue given that Catholic Charities USA receives significant funding from the state to run this adoption arm of its eleemosynary institutions. If you want state bucks, you need to comply. The Catholic Church simply didn't want to do it on its own dime, so it shut down shop. LDSSS does not use state or federal money, at least not to my knowledge.

SeattleUte 08-14-2008 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252543)
It was an interesting read, but I was hoping to read something new. It was the same stuff.

1. Religious argument
2. Blame gays for the bad acts of heterosexuals (divorce, abortion, single-parent households)
4. Predict calamity

Another question I have that I have yet to hear answered well......if homosexual marriage will increase the likelihood of gender confusion in children/teens, how do we explain the fact that pretty much all homosexuals today were raised in heterosexual households? I don't really see any distinct advantage in that particular area.

The repeated emphasis that children be raised by a father and mother is pointless. Gays are adopting the unwanted children that heterosexuals have basically tossed aside. Gays aren't having their own children. They are raising the children that straight people threw away.

This may be your best post ever.

I read this,

"The Church’s opposition to same-sex marriage neither constitutes nor condones any kind of hostility towards homosexual men and women. Protecting marriage between a man and a woman does not affect Church members’ Christian obligations of love, kindness and humanity toward all people,"

and couldn't help being reminded of this:

"I would be willing to let every Negro drive a Cadillac if they could afford it."--MEP

SeattleUte 08-14-2008 06:24 AM

The religious argument of course dodges the central question--the elephant in the room--do you choose your sexual preference?

Gidget 08-14-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 252548)
The religious argument of course dodges the central question--the elephant in the room--do you choose your sexual preference?

Yes, I think we deserve to have this addressed.

exUte 08-14-2008 02:21 PM

Gays are adopting kids that hetero's don't

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 252543)

1. Religious argument
4. Predict calamity

want? That's a new one. Using your term, hetero's ARE (and want more kids to adopt) adopting kids hetero's don't want.

exUte 08-14-2008 02:23 PM

Jury is still out on that one. Both sides

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 252565)
Yes, I think we deserve to have this addressed.

can make a case. However, the natural 'man' is born to have sex. Does that mean John Edwards should be excused for his adultery because he was born that way?