cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other College Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Title IX's Faulty Assumption (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7916)

BigFatMeanie 04-25-2007 06:27 PM

Title IX's Faulty Assumption

This article about James Madison dropping certain male sports ends with the following:

Quote:

Chapman says she researched the law and its regulations last fall and came to her position.

"It's nothing against women at all," she says. "I'm a female athlete — and I love to compete. At the same time, Title IX now is almost reverse discrimination."

Jocelyn Samuels, a vice president of the National Women's Law Center, rejects that argument. Opportunities for men and boys have increased in the Title IX era, she says.

Even if sports such as wrestling have lost ground, she says, that's legally irrelevant: "What Title IX demands is equality as measured by individual participation."
My biggest problem with Title IX is that demanding "equality as measured by individual participation" assumes that men and women are equally interested in all aspects of athletics/sports. Why can't the man-haters just accept the fact that women and men are different?

The Borg 04-25-2007 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 76456)
My biggest problem with Title IX is that demanding "equality as measured by individual participation" assumes that men and women are equally interested in all aspects of athletics/sports. Why can't the man-haters just accept the fact that women and men are different?

Well said...well said.

I'm in the process of raising 3 daughters. Have coached teams they've played in, etc. I grew up a sporting fool...was competitive in everything I played.

I believe in what you say, in that I personally feel that men & women are NOT equally interested in sports.

There are some GREAT female sports fans, competitive athlete etc. But on the whole, I think there is a vast difference in interest level between the sexes.

il Padrino Ute 04-26-2007 12:39 AM

Even worse than men's sports being cut in order to give an equal number of athletic scholarships to women is that if a women's team is unable to have enough interest to have a team and the school has to get rid of it, the school has to eliminate the same number of men's athletic scholarships.

Title IX is all about providing the same number of scholarships and it's a farce. The only thing that is worse for college sports than Title IX is the BCS.

mpfunk 04-27-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 76456)
This article about James Madison dropping certain male sports ends with the following:

I agree with what you are saying on this. There are actually other ways to comply with Title IX other than the proportionality rule. Problem is those are all subjective standards and no University is going to take the chance to comply under the subjective standard.

Title IX is a joke.

bigpiney 04-27-2007 09:15 PM

I hate Title IX.

I just get pissed thinking about it.

can't comment rationally.

Black Diamond Bay 04-27-2007 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpiney (Post 77119)
I hate Title IX.

I just get pissed thinking about it.

can't comment rationally.

It sucks away valuable funds from the mens programs that actually produce profits to use on women's sports that operate in the red. Why would anyone think that's a good idea?

bigpiney 04-27-2007 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay (Post 77126)
It sucks away valuable funds from the mens programs that actually produce profits to use on women's sports that operate in the red. Why would anyone think that's a good idea?

It is also not about equality or equal opportunity. It has been the death of olympic sports in this nation.

Black Diamond Bay 04-27-2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpiney (Post 77130)
It is also not about equality or equal opportunity. It has been the death of olympic sports in this nation.

But we have the WNBA

All-American 04-27-2007 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay (Post 77131)
But we have the WNBA

Oh, in THAT case . . .