cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   "My bad pop music is better than your bad pop music" (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10516)

Sleeping in EQ 07-31-2007 03:59 PM

"My bad pop music is better than your bad pop music"

or so I said to my niece.

There are at least four reasons for this:

1. More than a few pop singers today have marginal musical talent. Pop music does not demand Mozart like abilities, but at least people like Sheena Easton, Huey Lewis, and Belinda Carlisle could sing their songs. If you go back another generation, the music of the Mamas and the Papas, the Carpenters, and yes, Stevie Wonder is even better. Looking what passes for sexy (and I don't think it is. It seems plastic and pretentious) seems to cut it for most pop fans now days. Which leads to...

2. The pop stars are younger and this screws up the aesthetic. When Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes sing "Up Where We Belong" it's sexy because their age and experience comes through in their voices. When Carrie Underwood and Bo Bice sing it, you want to shoot yourself because they sound like two young people trying to sing like older people (with Bice sounding a little better than Underwood). This is part of the reason why the Bangle's "Eternal Flame" is a beautiful, sexy lullaby and Atomic Kitten's version of the song is unremarkable (another part is in #3). Pat Benetar singing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" sounds fierce and hot. Some young pop tart singing it sounds sophmoric. The general principle also explains why Han Solo-Princess Leia works and Amidala-Anakin doesn't. Young people can pull off lust songs, but romantic love songs? Not very often.

3. The pop stars who actually can sing today don't understand what songs are. Maybe Whitney Houston is to blame for this, but when you're putting all of your technique into one song, most of the time you're messing it up. That awful song for the Kevin Costner movie is a perfect example of this. You don't so much have a song there as you have Houston showing off her range. "Yea, we've got it. You can sing high, Whitney. But the purpose of it was...?" When you understand what you're trying to convey in a song, you know which tools to take out of the box. If the song needs range, you use it. If it needs breathiness, you use it. If it needs vibrato--go for it. If it needs a glottal stop--by all means. But when you throw everything and the kitchen sink into a song, most of the time it stinks (Hair metal didn't understand this either. Singers singing higher and higher and guitar solos getting faster and faster was only going to cut it for so long).

4. Technology has destroyed the importance of the album (and even the coherent CD) as a mode of communication. The way an album like Pet Sounds or even a Cars' record takes you on a journey has been lost in all of the digital downloading and CD song selecting and random playing. Part of the meaning of songs--even pop songs--can emerge in their proximity to other songs in the recording. I realize that some people are doing this very thing with their downloads, with creating their own proximities, but it's helped turn most collections of songs into collections of singles. I guess I'm lamenting the demise of the album track, the B-side, the song the band loves even if the marketing guys hate it.

If you've deduced that this all boils down to me liking the voices of sexy, older, smokey-voiced altos you're not wrong, but it's more than that. My bad pop music really is better than my niece's.

MikeWaters 07-31-2007 04:01 PM

you're not paying attention if you think there isn't good music these days. The same people exist, but they may not be charting higher than Britney.

Sleeping in EQ 07-31-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 108006)
you're not paying attention if you think there isn't good music these days. The same people exist, but they may not be charting higher than Britney.

There is good music.

Just not much good pop music. I didn't even get into the radio station ownership problem in the U.S. But as for paying attention, you're right. After years of what I described above, I've mostly tuned out (and yes, I know that you can download all kinds of good stuff from little known artists out there, but see #4). Despite some older and more talented artists hanging on, the problems I described are pervasive.

MikeWaters 07-31-2007 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ (Post 108010)
There is good music.

Just not much good pop music. I didn't even get into the radio station ownership problem in the U.S. But as for paying attention, you're right. After years of what I described above, I've mostly tuned out (and yes, I know that you can download all kinds of good stuff from little known artists out there, but see #4). Despite some older and more talented artists hanging on, the problems I described are pervasive.

There is good pop music as well.

This is good pop music, but not much airplay or notice.

http://www.myspace.com/delays

I find that the UK charts more accurately reflect my taste.

Archaea 07-31-2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 108013)
There is good pop music as well.

This is good pop music, but not much airplay or notice.

http://www.myspace.com/delays

I find that the UK charts more accurately reflect my taste.

Good pop music would require that it be popular. Show me some good US pop music. I bet you can't.

MikeWaters 07-31-2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 108026)
Good pop music would require that it be popular. Show me some good US pop music. I bet you can't.

no it doesn't.

MikeWaters 07-31-2007 04:32 PM

an example of innovative pop-ish music that has been very popular: The Gorrillaz.

FMCoug 07-31-2007 04:57 PM

I think the issue is that there is an entirely new genre of music today that didn't exist when we were kids. I call it teeny-bopper pop. Anything that comes from the Disney Channel / Disney Radio qualifies. With daughters the ages of mine, I am all too familiar with these groups (Aly and AJ is the big one right now).

That "music" seriously grates on my nerves ... drives me nuts.

But that is different than your normal Top 40 pop stuff IMO. There is some good music there.

Sassy in RS 07-31-2007 05:28 PM

You don't like pop tarts because they remind you of your students.

Sleeping in EQ 07-31-2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy in RS (Post 108068)
You don't like pop tarts because they remind you of your students.

That too.