cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Do you feel guilty for never having fought in a war? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12076)

SeattleUte 09-24-2007 05:37 AM

Do you feel guilty for never having fought in a war?

SteelBlue 09-24-2007 05:41 AM

There is a part of me that wonders how I would have performed in combat. That's something you can never know until you're in that situation. Most of me is very glad never to have had to find out.

jay santos 09-24-2007 02:26 PM

As a good Mormon there are few things I don't feel guilty about, but never having fought in a war is not one of them. (Record for negatives in a sentence?)

I only regret not having the chance to skip to Canada to avoid a draft.

MikeWaters 09-24-2007 02:27 PM

Dying in wars is for poor people.

Or so it has become.

BYU71 09-24-2007 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 126987)
Dying in wars is for poor people.

Or so it has become.

I hope that was said just to get a response and I am obliging you.

Indy Coug 09-24-2007 02:29 PM

As my family was in harm's way in 1991, I would have signed up for Desert Storm, but I figured by the time I signed up, went to training camp, etc. the war would already be over before I was in a position to get deployed.

MikeWaters 09-24-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 126989)
I hope that was said just to get a response and I am obliging you.

I don't think I am wrong about this, despite what Statman and the Heritage Foundation say.

DirtyHippieUte has backed me up on this. As has other research.

MikeWaters 09-24-2007 02:38 PM

To answer the original question, I feel a little bit guilty. But not enough to sign up.

I was in ROTC when I was a freshman during the first semester. Then I quit. The Captain that perished in the suicide bombing in the mess tent, he was a freshman in ROTC with me. So I am aware that some have given the ultimate sacrifice, whereas I have given nothing, along with 99% of Americans.

BYU71 09-24-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 126993)
I don't think I am wrong about this, despite what Statman and the Heritage Foundation say.

DirtyHippieUte has backed me up on this. As has other research.

Well Mike, which wars in the past was it that the "rich" died in. Maybe the revolutionary type in Russia where the people took out the Czars, however I classify that as a Revolution, not a war.

WWI or WWII, you think it was the rich that went to war?

As far as dieing goes, I am sure the middle class and some of the rich would take issue with your statement.

Since most of America isn't rich, it is a pretty easy argument to point to the rich and argue they have it better than the rest of us. At what point do you think we should rise up like the Russians or Chinese did and institute some kind of government that spreads out the countries wealth amongst all the people.

MikeWaters 09-24-2007 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 126996)
Well Mike, which wars in the past was it that the "rich" died in. Maybe the revolutionary type in Russia where the people took out the Czars, however I classify that as a Revolution, not a war.

WWI or WWII, you think it was the rich that went to war?

As far as dieing goes, I am sure the middle class and some of the rich would take issue with your statement.

Since most of America isn't rich, it is a pretty easy argument to point to the rich and argue they have it better than the rest of us. At what point do you think we should rise up like the Russians or Chinese did and institute some kind of government that spreads out the countries wealth amongst all the people.

Of course the rich have always been getting out of wars. Which essentially proves my point. Thanks for agreeing with me.