cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Modern day apostacy - how would we know? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18641)

Ma'ake 04-18-2008 07:42 PM

Modern day apostacy - how would we know?

I once heard a fundy assert the modern day LDS church is in apostacy, and provided the dearth of prophecy & revelation since John Taylor as the evidence. ("Thus sayeth the Lord...")

So, how *would* one know if this was the case or not? Surely Catholics / priests / monks have felt the spirit over the centuries relative to Papal pronouncements.

(OK, I'll cop to being a weirdo in thinking about this stuff. LOL)

SoonerCoug 04-18-2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ma'ake (Post 210534)
I once heard a fundy assert the modern day LDS church is in apostacy, and provided the dearth of prophecy & revelation since John Taylor as the evidence. ("Thus sayeth the Lord...")

So, how *would* one know if this was the case or not? Surely Catholics / priests / monks have felt the spirit over the centuries relative to Papal pronouncements.

(OK, I'll cop to being a weirdo in thinking about this stuff. LOL)

If we are in apostasy, and the FLDS are not, then I choose apostasy.

People choose the life they want to live. I think apostasy is just a made-up word used by people in authority to encourage people to fall in line.

MikeWaters 04-18-2008 07:47 PM

you will know them by their fruits.

Indy Coug 04-18-2008 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 210536)
I think apostasy is just a made-up word used by people in authority to encourage people to fall in line.

So the Catholic Church is true enough?

SoonerCoug 04-18-2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 210538)
So the Catholic Church is true enough?

Find me a Mormon who doesn't believe that Mother Teresa is going receive her Celestial reward.

MikeWaters 04-18-2008 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 210540)
Find me a Mormon who doesn't believe that Mother Teresa is going receive her Celestial reward.

Tex
Lingo
IndyCoug
Spaz
GenesisAg

Indy Coug 04-18-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Is she going to get it without some proxy temple work?

Tex 04-18-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

She accepted the gospel?

MikeWaters 04-18-2008 07:57 PM

Christoper Hitchens also thinks she will not receive a heavenly award.

Indy Coug 04-18-2008 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 210546)
Christoper Hitchens also thinks she will not receive a heavenly award.

Also? In addition to?