cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   First Leak about We're not Getting in (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29834)

ChinoCoug 09-21-2016 09:08 PM

First Leak about We're not Getting in

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=16557683

MikeWaters 09-21-2016 11:15 PM

Quote:

If we were a Muslim University when the same standard apply? Who speaks for all the gay Mormon BYU fans?
That's the thing they don't get. We are becoming the equivalent of the Muslim University.

MikeWaters 09-21-2016 11:33 PM

No one in their right mind would want to deal with BYU.

I called BYU not being admitted at the height of CB optimism.

This will be a good lesson for BYU fans. But unfortunately they will assume their normal victim role and learn nothing.

SeattleUte 09-22-2016 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322203)
No one in their right mind would want to deal with BYU.

I called BYU not being admitted at the height of CB optimism.

This will be a good lesson for BYU fans. But unfortunately they will assume their normal victim role and learn nothing.

I've said forever that BYU would not be admitted. University cultures are the same everywhere, whether in the Pac 12, Big12 or Ivy League--not so different even at BYU in the closets, I bet. And they care about their reputations among one another and their type more than anything else.

MikeWaters 09-22-2016 01:36 AM

Is there a compelling reason to add BYU?

I can't think of one. Sure it has a bit more of a following than the other schools. Esp. in the west. But not so much in Big 12 country. It has a bit more tradition. But the football program is not in all that great shape, at least not for the past 15 years.

Are there compelling reasons to not add BYU?

Yes, politics.

Could having BYU be in the conference be a big hassle?

Yes.

Could some of the smaller program grow into something really strong with Big 12 money and publicity?

You bet. See Houston.

I don't think I'm talking out of turn here. But it is my impression that President Monson (bless him) is infirm. The years have caught up to him. And anytime that happens that leaves a bit of a vacuum in terms of decision making and setting a course. BYU and the church can really never be that nimble, but in current circumstances of LGBTQ whiplash (church alternatively making moves to support and go against), we're not going to turn on a dime in a meaningful way.

Archaea 09-22-2016 04:20 AM

and leadership is too dense to get it. I just hate the density of upper management now.

ChinoCoug 09-22-2016 11:49 AM

Not sure what I'd do without BYU football, my #1 diversion. Nothing else gives me the same adrenaline rush. I don't watch pro sports because I can never feel as purposeful about them without a tie to my faith/alma mater.

I follow Taiwan's national team out of ethnic pride, but the World Baseball Classic is played only once every 4 years. And Taiwan performs the most poorly among countries in which baseball is the national sport. The country is more dysfunctional than the Big XII. Furthermore, the process of baseball provides far less excitement in comparison.

I've been playing a lot more sports lately, so maybe I'll join a competitive softball team and start taking it seriously. Fill that void.

MikeWaters 09-22-2016 12:02 PM

we should make a "it get's better" video series for BYU fans.

As you get older you start to care less. You realize that watching sports is a huge time-suck and fairly pointless.

I really only watch 3 different teams during football season: BYU, A&M, and Dallas Cowboys.

Usually I don't watch live, so that I can cut the time down even further. Fast forwarding between plays and skipping commercials.

It gets better. Eventually you will get like me and not have hardly any emotional investment.

ChinoCoug 09-22-2016 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322209)
we should make a "it get's better" video series for BYU fans.

As you get older you start to care less. You realize that watching sports is a huge time-suck and fairly pointless.

I really only watch 3 different teams during football season: BYU, A&M, and Dallas Cowboys.

Usually I don't watch live, so that I can cut the time down even further. Fast forwarding between plays and skipping commercials.

It gets better. Eventually you will get like me and not have hardly any emotional investment.

That's funny.

ChinoCoug 09-22-2016 12:49 PM

Speaking of "it gets better," the BYU Understanding Same Gender Attraction group was considering endorsing getting us in.