cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Whole Foods (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5748)

SeattleUte 12-30-2006 10:50 PM

Whole Foods

A Whole Foods just opened nearby our house. Wow. This is how the Koran would describe a supermarket in heaven. Very impressive.

MikeWaters 12-31-2006 01:57 AM

Whole Foods have been in Texas a long time. They are surpassed, if you can believe it, by HEB Central Markets.

FarrahWaters 12-31-2006 02:10 AM

I believe the first Whole Foods was in Austin.

I love Whole Foods, but I always end up spending more money than I originally planned. Central Market, though, is enormous. If you can't find something there, you'll be hard-pressed to find it anywhere else.

SeattleUte 12-31-2006 02:24 AM

We have something called Central Market. It's very good. But Whole Foods is in another league. One of the employees said that ours is smaller than most of them but has a larger prepared foods section because of the proximity to downtown and lunch crowd. I thought the whole layout from meat to seafood to produce to pastries to gourmet cheeses to wine, to smoked meats and fish, to bistro/deli, etc. etc. was very nice.

I said to my wife that as consumers we're the perfect storm for Whole Foods. She's attracted to all the organic foods, and I love the gourmet stuff.

MikeWaters 12-31-2006 04:47 AM

There is no Central Market in Seattle. Yours is something else, even if they try to lay claim to the name.

il Padrino Ute 12-31-2006 05:23 AM

We don't have a Central Market here in Salt Lake, but we do have Grove Market, the home of a serious sandwich.

Mormon Red Death 12-31-2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 51096)
I believe the first Whole Foods was in Austin.

I love Whole Foods, but I always end up spending more money than I originally planned. Central Market, though, is enormous. If you can't find something there, you'll be hard-pressed to find it anywhere else.

You should read the undercover economist... He talks about why you pay more at whole food places (its not what you think)

FarrahWaters 01-01-2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 51114)
You should read the undercover economist... He talks about why you pay more at whole food places (its not what you think)

Care to summarize? Or do I really have to go out and get the Undercover Economist? :) My problem is that I like to eat and cook different things, and so when I see the speciality foods I can't get at my own grocery store, I end up buying more than I originally plan to.

Jeff Lebowski 01-01-2007 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 51094)
Whole Foods have been in Texas a long time. They are surpassed, if you can believe it, by HEB Central Markets.

It all started in Austin. They still have the headquarters there.