cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   I made an excellent curry rice (kare raisu) Sunday (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20951)

myboynoah 07-15-2008 08:19 PM

I made an excellent curry rice (kare raisu) Sunday

We had it again last night (in many ways it's better the second day).

I've hit upon a great method, browning the pork and then stewing it with onions, garlic, and some of the curry block for about one and a half hour before adding the carrots. This way the pork stays moist and tender.

I'm a big Vermont Curry fan and I use a combo between hot and medium hot. Before adding the potatoes, I separately bring them to a boil first, so they don't break up too much in the curry. I add them about 30 minutes before eating.

Served with koshihikari, it was very, very good. Few things beat a good kare raisu.

MikeWaters 07-15-2008 08:21 PM

This is a much better food in the winter. Great on a winter campout.

My scouts liked it so much that they made it on their own.

myboynoah 07-15-2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 242668)
This is a much better food in the winter. Great on a winter campout.

My scouts liked it so much that they made it on their own.

My son had a bad curry rice experience at a local "Japanese" restaurant. I had to wipe it from his mind. It was a kind of therapy.

TripletDaddy 07-15-2008 08:58 PM

what kind of curry do you use?

we were given a bunch of indian curry powder by our neighbors and it is delcious.

However, i would be interested in trying some asian curries, as well.

ute4ever 07-15-2008 11:59 PM

Recipe?

Thanking you in advance.

MikeWaters 07-16-2008 12:01 AM

you can buy curry blocks at a number of places in the Asian section. The basic principle is that the curry block mixes with hot water to form the sauce.

Brown chicken pieces. Toss in some water. Add carrots first (take longest to cook). Then potato cubes/pieces and onions. Add curry cube/blocks. Done.

Dish over sticky white rice.

FarrahWaters 07-16-2008 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 242663)

I've hit upon a great method, browning the pork and then stewing it with onions, garlic, and some of the curry block for about one and a half hour before adding the carrots. This way the pork stays moist and tender.

I'm a big Vermont Curry fan and I use a combo between hot and medium hot. Before adding the potatoes, I separately bring them to a boil first, so they don't break up too much in the curry. I add them about 30 minutes before eating.

Served with koshihikari, it was very, very good. Few things beat a good kare raisu.

I usually use the S&B kind, but I'm having trouble with it. I can't seem to get the right consistency, it's either too thick and paste-like, or thin but tastes watered down. Maybe I'll switch to the Vermont brand. Good idea to combine the hot and medium hot.

BigFatMeanie 07-16-2008 12:55 AM

Only Nipponophiles eat Vermont Curry. True curry aficionados eat Thai-style curries.

jay santos 07-16-2008 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 242663)

Same way I make it but without the potatoes. Hate potatoes in curry. And I usually use chicken for the meat.

myboynoah 07-16-2008 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 242903)
I usually use the S&B kind, but I'm having trouble with it. I can't seem to get the right consistency, it's either too thick and paste-like, or thin but tastes watered down. Maybe I'll switch to the Vermont brand. Good idea to combine the hot and medium hot.

Whenever available, I use Vermont (I get a kick out of thinking some marketing guy in Japan came up with the idea of calling his curry "Vermont" curry.). Frankly, it's at the way mild end of the scale in its hot and medium hot, so if you want really hot, you will be dissapointed.

I also like the suggestion that they use apples in their curry block/paste.