cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Home Improvement and Real Estate (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   isn't owning a home great? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4274)

MikeWaters 09-22-2006 07:27 PM

isn't owning a home great?

yesterday, I pulled a pair of jeans out of my top shelf in the closet. They were damp. I thought that was strange. They were more than damp. They were wet. then I realized all the surrounding clothes were damp. There was no obvious sign of a water leak.

Closer examination revealed water had been dripping down the wall. Coincidentally the air conditioner is directly above my closet.

Nothing I love more than crawling thru an insulation filled attic. Ultimately I gave up and had to get a professional in.

Now I'm wondering if I need to rip out the drywall.

Detroitdad 09-22-2006 07:38 PM

Ahh, the joys of homeownership! Good luck with that, hope you don't need new drywall.

UteStar 09-22-2006 08:25 PM

Fun for you Mike...last week, I had some flooding in my basement bathroom and hallway--the secondary line was blocked (water from the laundry room, sinks, etc.) and clogged and it backed up thru the shower drain in my basement. Got it fixed, but it was a pain. Yeah, gotta love owning a home.

I miss the days that I could call my landlord and have him make everything alright.

MikeWaters 09-22-2006 09:02 PM

so I called a neighbor who is on a mission in Nauvoo. He had gone to air condition school recently, and he called a guy. This guy came over today.

He went into the attic, used pressurized air to blow out the drain. Returned two hours later to check on it, noted that it was tilting. Went to the store, bought a support to lift the apparatus, installed another drain pan.

Asked for the outrageous sum of $30 for his efforts. DOESN'T HE KNOW THAT CHILDREN IN AFRICA WOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR PENNIES?!

So Farrah insisted on paying him a bit more.

Jeff Lebowski 09-22-2006 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 37549)
so I called a neighbor who is on a mission in Nauvoo. He had gone to air condition school recently, and he called a guy. This guy came over today.

He went into the attic, used pressurized air to blow out the drain. Returned two hours later to check on it, noted that it was tilting. Went to the store, bought a support to lift the apparatus, installed another drain pan.

Asked for the outrageous sum of $30 for his efforts. DOESN'T HE KNOW THAT CHILDREN IN AFRICA WOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR PENNIES?!

So Farrah insisted on paying him a bit more.

Poor you. I dropped $3400 last week on A/C repairs.

MikeWaters 09-22-2006 09:19 PM

for a regular commercial service to come out and do what he did, would be at least $200 I would guess.

I'm expecting our AC unit to die about 1 month before we sell our house.

FarrahWaters 09-22-2006 10:22 PM

Nice guy...since he knew we were members of the church, and were friends of a friend, I think he tried to give us a discount.

Surfah 09-22-2006 11:41 PM

He gave you a deal. And I would probably replace the drywall. Mold can accumulate and is a bitch to get rid of.