cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Did you see the lame explanation in the Snews (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12503)

Archaea 10-07-2007 02:01 PM

Did you see the lame explanation in the Snews

when somebody asked why another Utahn about Cook?

He's a world traveler. Oh brother. He served in England on a mission and was in the Philippines for a few years.

The Church missed a great opportunity for diversity there and missed it.

OrangeUte 10-07-2007 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 132288)

He's a world traveler. Oh brother. He served in England on a mission and was in the Philippines for a few years.

i honestly felt let down by this calling, and agree that the church missed a chance at really proving that it is a diversified and truly a world-wide religion.

perhaps it has congregations throughout the world, but the church is still utah/western states-centric in its leadership. if i was a member in south america, where the huge numbers in membership gains truly come from that are constantly being bragged about, i would feel snubbed.

SoonerCoug 10-07-2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

I met GBH and Marjorie at a reception for Hinckley Scholars at BYU in the 90s. GBH walked into the room, and all the Hinckley Scholars introduced themselves. There were only 4 from Utah (out of 24), none from Salt Lake County, and several students from other countries (including Canada and Croatia). The Hinckley committee people said: "Isn't it amazing how these scholars are from so many different locations, including Europe?" Hinckley looked perplexed and responded: "Why aren't there any from Salt Lake?" He wasn't joking.

Indy Coug 10-07-2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

It's astounding how many of the Apostles/Prophets went to England on their mission.

Indy Coug 10-07-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Damnit! Stupid revelation gets in the way again.

SoonerCoug 10-07-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 132298)
Damnit! Stupid revelation gets in the way again.

Why does God prefer Salt Lakers or caucasian lawyers?

Indy Coug 10-07-2007 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 132300)
Why does God prefer Salt Lakers or caucasian lawyers?

Get some revelation and find out, if He's inclined to tell you why. I haven't bothered asking, so I don't really know.

What I do know is that President Hinckley isn't cavalier enough to be picking Utahns when God wants diversity or vice versa.

SoonerCoug 10-07-2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 132301)
Get some revelation and find out, if He's inclined to tell you why. I haven't bothered asking, so I don't really know.

What I do know is that President Hinckley isn't cavalier enough to be picking Utahns when God wants diversity or vice versa.

I was hoping you could use your revelation to clue me in.

Indy Coug 10-07-2007 02:45 PM

I guess when I try to get revelation, I usually try and spend the time on worthwhile things like how to help my kids struggling with school or whether or not I should pursue a job opportunity or how to help so-and-so in the EQ dealing with a certain trial.

This just doesn't rate on my list of things to worry about right now. Maybe at a future date.

MikeWaters 10-07-2007 02:53 PM

Elder Cook was the most recent GA to visit my stake. He seemed to be a sincere man.

I was in a leadership meeting and when it came time for Q&A, I asked a question about integrating scouting into the church or something like that. He answered "I'm not that familiar with that, so I'll defer to your local leaders" or something like that.