cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finances (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Equity Options (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13202)

NorCal Cat 10-24-2007 09:01 PM

Equity Options

Any options traders out there? Just wondering if anyone has found any particular strategies they like. I have only bought call options. I have not taken on more sophisticated methods like straddles or such yet.

FMCoug 10-25-2007 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 141228)
Any options traders out there? Just wondering if anyone has found any particular strategies they like. I have only bought call options. I have not taken on more sophisticated methods like straddles or such yet.

I trade options. Mostly buying calls and puts but I do some spreads as well. I mostly trade option on ETFs but I do some individual stocks as well. I'm bummed my GOOG ride is coming to an end (Nov expiration). I have calls that I bought when it was at about 580. :)

FMCoug 10-25-2007 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 141358)
I trade options. Mostly buying calls and puts but I do some spreads as well.

Although I learned on CG that it's "impossible" to beat the market so I guess it's all an exercise in futility. :)

Cali Coug 10-25-2007 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 141365)
Although I learned on CG that it's "impossible" to beat the market so I guess it's all an exercise in futility. :)

I don't think it is impossible to beat the market (that would be dumb), but I do think beating the market has a lot more to do with luck than anything else for publicly traded securities.

Indy Coug 10-25-2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

In the long run, it is impossible to beat the market. Anyone can make out like bandits in the short run.

BYU71 10-25-2007 01:43 PM

Most option traders lose their butts. 99% (my guess) of those who have regular jobs and trade options really lose their butts.

As far as these guys who sell their strategies, well if they were so damn good they wouldn't have to sell their strategies would they?

Whenever someone brags how much they make in trading options, I just ask to see a copy of their Schedule D for the last 3 years. That usually shuts them up.

Indy Coug 10-25-2007 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 141471)
Most option traders lose their butts. 99% (my guess) of those who have regular jobs and trade options really lose their butts.

As far as these guys who sell their strategies, well if they were so damn good they wouldn't have to sell their strategies would they?

Whenever someone brags how much they make in trading options, I just ask to see a copy of their Schedule D for the last 3 years. That usually shuts them up.

LOL!

FMCoug 10-25-2007 03:42 PM

Which should I regret more?

The GOOG calls I'm in and up 280% or the QQQQ credit spread I'm in that was a 55/45 risk/reward (i.e. for every $55 I put at risk, I get $45)?

jay santos 10-25-2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

It's easy to beat the market. You have a 50% chance with every move you make.

BYU71 10-25-2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 141527)
Which should I regret more?

The GOOG calls I'm in and up 280% or the QQQQ credit spread I'm in that was a 55/45 risk/reward (i.e. for every $55 I put at risk, I get $45)?

I have buddies that win everytime they go to Vegas. At least I think they do because every Vegas story they tell me about they won.